I've found my formation

BondJame5Collins
2716 posts Fans' Favourite
532 !!

I played 4222 and although it was good going forward, i kept getting caught on the counter. I decided to switch up my team and build for a 532. I sold my First Owner Messi and picked up 86 R.Carlos (LWB) and 87 Lahm (playing RWB on 7 Chem).

It's beautiful. I feel pretty secure defensively and going forward, it just suits my style of fast 1-2s, switching the ball from one side to another. Both full backs are on 'Join the attack' They provide a great outlet, the opponent doesn't know whether to go to them or stick with the LCM/RCM.

I really like the balance, if you are struggling, i suggest giving it a go.

Comments

• Ludaslol
    221 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm also playing 4222 with great sucess, and same as you getting ❤️❤️❤️❤️ on the counter against some opponenets. I never played a 5 back line ever tho, what tactics/instructions do you use and what kind of players do I need? Might give it a go!
  • BondJame5Collins
    Ludaslol wrote: »
    I'm also playing 4222 with great sucess, and same as you getting ❤️❤️❤️❤️ on the counter against some opponenets. I never played a 5 back line ever tho, what tactics/instructions do you use and what kind of players do I need? Might give it a go!

RWB & LWB - Join the attack. Need pace and good dribbling.

LCM - Balanced for everything, get in the box, cover centre. (Box to box is best, preferably H/H, someone like De Bruyne, Nainggolan, Valverde etc...

CCM - Stay back while attacking, cover centre (A good DM)

RCM - Everything on balanced, cover centre (I like someone a little more agile but it can really be any box to box, again, H/H preferable, i'm using Bernardo Silva)

LS - Get in behind, Stay Central, Stay forward
    RS - Mixed Attack, Stay Central

• TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    interesting, do you not find a massive gap in between the cms and strikers?
  • BondJame5Collins
    edited October 2020
    TDOF wrote: »
    interesting, do you not find a massive gap in between the cms and strikers?

Haven't noticed it. In fact, KDB is my second top scorer, granted its only 5 games in. I guess it depends who you play CM, i think H/H is best for the LCM and RCM) - I'm using KDB and Bernardo Silva.

Its easy to create a triangles which is why i love this formation. I played it for parts of 19 too. Wing back to CM, CM to striker, Striker through ball to wing back, wing back cut back to striker outside the box who then passes to the on rushing CM. Scored a few like this.
  • Dan_orme
    135 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    What about the custom tactics
  • BondJame5Collins
    edited October 2020
    Dan_orme wrote: »
    What about the custom tactics

Posted above

Sorry, guessing you mean the team custom tactics. I haven't really changed much, balanced for both attack and defence, just dropped the depth to 4, took free kicks down 1 bar and players in the box up one bar.
  • jbfifa
    253 posts Sunday League Hero
    have you ever tried the 5212? wondering if with that cam provides a little more balance everywhere. I sometimes use 352 but have the lm/rm set to come back on defense. fun formation yet somewhat balanced.
  • BondJame5Collins
    jbfifa wrote: »
    have you ever tried the 5212? wondering if with that cam provides a little more balance everywhere. I sometimes use 352 but have the lm/rm set to come back on defense. fun formation yet somewhat balanced.

I prefer my Central CM to stay back and defend and the two either side to push forward and combine with the wing backs and strikers.

I thought about 352, but like the Wingback option with Roberto Carlos and Lahm. The nostalgia factor.
  • Pieman25
    19070 posts Moderator
    It's good to try something a bit different, I'm going with 451 atm. Can't defend anyway so what's the difference
  • BondJame5Collins
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    It's good to try something a bit different, I'm going with 451 atm. Can't defend anyway so what's the difference

I'm definitely conceding less now, unless i come up against Rodrigo.
  • Pieman25
    19070 posts Moderator
    Pieman25 wrote: »

I'm definitely conceding less now, unless i come up against Rodrigo.

The day he gets an IF will be a sad time for all.
  • BondJame5Collins
    If you are confident with your defensive skills, 3142 is absolutely ridiculous going forward. Soo many options your opponent is often outnumbered.
  • 532 !!

I played 4222 and although it was good going forward, i kept getting caught on the counter. I decided to switch up my team and build for a 532. I sold my First Owner Messi and picked up 86 R.Carlos (LWB) and 87 Lahm (playing RWB on 7 Chem).

It's beautiful. I feel pretty secure defensively and going forward, it just suits my style of fast 1-2s, switching the ball from one side to another. Both full backs are on 'Join the attack' They provide a great outlet, the opponent doesn't know whether to go to them or stick with the LCM/RCM.

Also using 4222 and getting killed on counter.

Dropping depth to 2 on balanced has helped but still nearly every goal conceded is on the break.

I’m recording some videos which are unbelievable. You see the 3 opponent midfield attackers show nice attack positioning and moving in to receive the ball while I’m trying to pull back my defender and 2 CDMs back desperately while they ball watch.

Did you try 5221? Thinking about it since wing play is so important.
  • MayneNL
    430 posts Sunday League Hero
    Gonna try the same, been using 3atb mostly for now. What would be the best non icon RWB? I’m thinking about J. Navas or Cancelo maybe? Mind posting your full team?
  • tzinc
    3246 posts National Call-Up
    doesn't 442 fix the issues with 4222
  • tzinc wrote: »

No I moved to 4222 from 442 because the midfield was completely useless for counters. CDMs help a little.
  • BondJame5Collins
    edited October 2020
    MayneNL wrote: »
    Gonna try the same, been using 3atb mostly for now. What would be the best non icon RWB? I’m thinking about J. Navas or Cancelo maybe? Mind posting your full team?

I'd say Jesus Navas looks ideal. Cuadrado looks a good option aswell. Whats your budget for the team?

Set up as 5221 but switch to 532 in game.

GK - Asenjo

CB - Ferland Mendy Varane Kounde (Saving for Ramos, D.Carlos or Upamecano)

RWB - Lahm
    LWB - Carlos

LCM - De Bruyne
    CCM - OTW Partey
    RCM - B.Silva

LS - Auba
    RS - Mane
  • BondJame5Collins
    edited October 2020
    Dragon0102 wrote: »
    532 !!

Also using 4222 and getting killed on counter.

Dropping depth to 2 on balanced has helped but still nearly every goal conceded is on the break.

I’m recording some videos which are unbelievable. You see the 3 opponent midfield attackers show nice attack positioning and moving in to receive the ball while I’m trying to pull back my defender and 2 CDMs back desperately while they ball watch.

Did you try 5221? Thinking about it since wing play is so important.

I don't like 5221, the Wingers and full backs usually get in eachothers way. The thing i didn't like about the 4222 was only having 2 central midfielders. Like you said, they just wouldn't track back and my two centre backs would get pulled all over the place.
  • BondJame5Collins
    tzinc wrote: »

Not tried it. I just find it a boring formation in terms of squad building.
  • Tosh
    180 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    If you are confident with your defensive skills, 3142 is absolutely ridiculous going forward. Soo many options your opponent is often outnumbered.

I'm slightly different with a 3421 but its the same going forward, so many chances from all over the pitch its crazy.
    Couldn't defend for ❤️❤️❤️❤️ before so thought attack is the best form of defense anyway, enjoyed the game before but so much more using this..
  • Vezzo
    1680 posts Play-Off Hero
    I play 3-5-2 and depending on the tactics preset and state of the game have both LM/RM on come back to defence and/or get in behind. Also useful against counter attacks.
  • BadSeedsFC
    3178 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2020
    I'm enjoying the 5 2 1 2 since the last weeks that I played FUT 20. And I'm giving it a go again during this cicle. This kind of formations are fun because they let you to use attacking full backs without compromising too much against counter attacking teams that spams through balls through the wings.

It might sound crazy, but when was the time that, to be barely competitive in Fifa, you had to set the full backs on "stay back on attack" with any 4 at the back formations? And I mean slightly competitive. I consider myself a casual or semi casual, if that even exists.

Anyway, this 5 atb formations are fun to set the full backs on attack. I haven't tried the 3 5 2 yet, but it seems to be fun too.

Ps. How good is that Lahm? The stats looks amazing. I'm currently using Davies as LWB and Navas as RWB. Packed Carvajal in the first week of squad battles and I haven't sold him yet. But, even with the lack of strength, Navas suits much better for the task.

• Satch85
    1309 posts Professional
    Im gonna try this tomorrow, I enjoy playing the so called non meta formations. Used to use 5212 a fair bit the last few years. Got a few half decent BPL untradeables so ill what I can come up with
  • kj08
    468 posts An Exciting Prospect
    When I saw the title, I dont know why but I thought.. may be someone tried 532 :)

Take a look at this thread from last year that quite syncs up with your observation. After struggling a bit in Div 4 and having a losing streak, I switched to 532 and WTF... its far far more aggressive formation than most 4atb and I feel now I have options in midfield... enough that I dont struggle against constant formation anymore.

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/439507/if-you-are-struggling-in-div5-or-wl-silver1-come-here/p1

Defence - Balanced or pressure on heavy touch this year.
    Attack - Balanced or long ball this year.

At 70th min, I switch to Constant pressure. IF I am leading, CP helps me keep the lead and if I am behind, CP is the way to go anyway, right.

Instructions
    Strikers - All default
    LCM - Default, CM - get forward, RCM fabinho- Stay back, Aggresive interceptions (All 3 cover center)
    LWB - Join attack, RWB - Default
  • kj08
    468 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Here is my ingame squad B9YNb7k.png
  • Kove
    4848 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2020
    Alright I'm keen. In the past I've always used a ball playing CCB - Bonucci etc.

I'm assuming that is the role for Casemiro and Varane in the above squads?

• Kove
    4848 posts Big Money Move
    Also how are you finding the midfield, are they moving enough?
  • Oldgmrdad
    251 posts Sunday League Hero
    I was a bit embarrassed to try this formation tbh, but I'll be damned been working great for me. Loads of space and wingers provide great help. Thanks for the tip
  • BondJame5Collins
    @Kove

I wouldn't say i picked Varane to be a ball playing CB, i picked him to play central as he's the best defender out of the three and gets a lot of blocks.

I'd say the two on either side need to be the ball players. They need to be fast to cover for the full backs, thats why i'm playing Mendy off chem there. Of course, you can adapt the system to what suits you.

The midfield get forward well, i guess it depends who you use, i find CMs with H/H workrates work best for the two either side of the DM.

The key part of this formation is getting good full backs.
  • BondJame5Collins
    kj08 wrote: »
    When I saw the title, I dont know why but I thought.. may be someone tried 532 :)

Take a look at this thread from last year that quite syncs up with your observation. After struggling a bit in Div 4 and having a losing streak, I switched to 532 and WTF... its far far more aggressive formation than most 4atb and I feel now I have options in midfield... enough that I dont struggle against constant formation anymore.

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/439507/if-you-are-struggling-in-div5-or-wl-silver1-come-here/p1

Defence - Balanced or pressure on heavy touch this year.
    Attack - Balanced or long ball this year.

At 70th min, I switch to Constant pressure. IF I am leading, CP helps me keep the lead and if I am behind, CP is the way to go anyway, right.

Instructions
    Strikers - All default
    LCM - Default, CM - get forward, RCM fabinho- Stay back, Aggresive interceptions (All 3 cover center)
    LWB - Join attack, RWB - Default

I loved it in Fifa 19. Marcelo and Flashback Dani Alves as wing backs, Raul upfront scoring bullet headers.