Defensive midfielders do not defend once the ball goes past them

Barza1
16 posts Last Pick at the Park
I am sure this has been raised before, but with defending more difficult in this iteration of FIFA this really needs to be addressed.
No matter what formation or instructions I use, and independently of the defensive work rate of the player concerned, defensive midfielders do not track back at any speed once the ball goes past them towards their own goal. Often, CDM’s just stand still and watch the play evolving behind them on the edge of the penalty area. At most, they may amble back to join the defence. The only way to get them to come back into the defensive third is to select them and run them back.
This is silly, and given the greater ability of attackers to keep the ball in Fifa21 it serves to unbalance the game. I am not suggesting the AI should defend on my behalf, simply that CDM’s should behave remotely like reality and actively seek to get into a position goal side of the ball once the ball goes behind them, rather than virtually standing still.

Comments

• Thamightyboro
    8100 posts League Winner
    Barza1 wrote: »
    I am sure this has been raised before, but with defending more difficult in this iteration of FIFA this really needs to be addressed.
    No matter what formation or instructions I use, and independently of the defensive work rate of the player concerned, defensive midfielders do not track back at any speed once the ball goes past them towards their own goal. Often, CDM’s just stand still and watch the play evolving behind them on the edge of the penalty area. At most, they may amble back to join the defence. The only way to get them to come back into the defensive third is to select them and run them back.
    This is silly, and given the greater ability of attackers to keep the ball in Fifa21 it serves to unbalance the game. I am not suggesting the AI should defend on my behalf, simply that CDM’s should behave remotely like reality and actively seek to get into a position goal side of the ball once the ball goes behind them, rather than virtually standing still.

I noticed similar with barella but am not really seeing it with tonali.
  • Barza1 wrote: »

In this FIFA, AI movement in defense is slow. You have to manually drag the players back.
    Switch - move back, switch-move back.

It’s good as it makes defending hard.
  • Onuryuk83
    84 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Well the defensive AI is in spectator mode. CDMs are watching the game most of the time. This is ok if it works for both sides similarly in each game but in certain games it is very obvious that while ur defensive players just wandering around the field, the opponent’s defensive AI is working on god mode. Sometimes it also works on my advantage too.
  • padr81
    381 posts Sunday League Hero
    Strongly agree, You have to control DM's and let the AI use CB's or they'll jut stand there scratching their balls. I was struggling till I started controlling with DM and letting AI use CB's because if you switch to CB to press the attacker you DM will do absolutely nothing cept be a statue.

Maybe based on irl Rodri.
  • vjake
    837 posts Semi-Pro
    Fifapayne wrote: »
    Mine track back
    But how bout manually pulling your players into position
    Not too difficult

This!! Positioning your players is key in this FIFA. You can't rely on the AI like last fifa and just use your striker to defend. You actually have to position your whole defense.

OP who's your CDM? I got Fabinho from a gold squad upgrade and swapped him with Rodri and what an actual difference it is.
  • Mido
    779 posts Semi-Pro
    Yeah players ball watch. We can’t control 5 players at once like some people think we can. It was an issue in earlier FIFA’s and they then do the usual and do a full 180. They can’t find a middle ground.
  • SeñorCatflap
    1845 posts Play-Off Hero
    Mido wrote: »
    Yeah players ball watch. We can’t control 5 players at once like some people think we can. It was an issue in earlier FIFA’s and they then do the usual and do a full 180. They can’t find a middle ground.

• RageRambler
    1133 posts Professional
    Maybe try manually defending?
  • SeñorCatflap
    1845 posts Play-Off Hero
    7:40 on this video is the kind of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ that's wrong with this game
  • JonesyYo
    248 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’ve just started manually pulling them back seems to work well
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    To many people want AI handholding.

'Can you defend for me please and also move my players into position, so I can have literally the least impact on them required.'

Player switching and reading the game are important. So much more satisfying this year.

• There is a mismatch between offensive players and defensive players in my own box. I cannot get both cms to be in the box at the same time. I put one in position then switch and the switched from player walks out of the box. Please advise how I manually keep two players in position at the same time. Ty