Career Mode Story Help Thread (Resources, Graphics, Collabs and General Help)

Alastair
10264 posts Moderator
The Career Mode Story Help Thread is a thread where you can get any help you need with your career mode story.

This thread is a merger of the old Resource, Graphics and Collab threads as well being a general story help thread. Use this thread to browse for resources to use in your stories, show off and get feedback on your latest work in progress graphics, find a partner to do a Collab with or just ask for any other general help and advice with your story.

Comments

• Alastair
    10264 posts Moderator
    FAQs

What is a Career Mode Story?
    • A Career Mode Story is story of a members progress on FIFA Career Mode. It can be as detailed or as simple as the writer wants it to be and it can even be in video format. You do not need to be able to make graphics to do a story. Stories can be done in almost every mode of the game but Career Mode and Tournament Mode are the two most commonly done.

What is a Collab?
    • A Collab is a collaboration between two (or more) members. The most common examples are if one member plays the matches and writes the updates and another member makes all the graphics.

Where should I start?
    • Feel free to jump into any story in the section and comment on in, it doesn't matter if you only start reading part way through a story, the writer will be as happy to see you if you join on page 1 or page 100.

You might also like to introduce yourself to the rest of the members in the section, to do that why not make a post on the Chat Thread saying hi and maybe even letting us know a bit about who you like using in CM.

If you want to start a story and want some advice on anything to do with the thread then use this thread. We will be more than happy to help answer any of your questions to help you.

If you have any questions about the forum then please send one of the Career Mode Stories moderators a message. The Career Mode Stories moderators are:
      Why is no-one commenting on my story?
      • There are various reasons people don't comment on stories. The most common reasons are you not commenting on anyone else's story (it is polite to return the favour if someone comments on yours), you ignore constructive criticism from members or you are a newer member. If it is because you are a newer member then stick with the story and over time more and more people will comment on it. Don't start several stories within a few days as this will put people off reading them. We like to think of CMS as a friendly community so in most cases people will comment on most stories but if you are unlucky and this doesn't happen then don't give up, people will comment if you are consistent.

How can I make my story mobile friendly?
      • This guide written by one of our former Community Managers, Rob, explains how to make your forum content mobile friendly. It is written for people planning to write Guides but is equally applicable to users writing Career Mode Stories.

What formatting options are there to make my story look good?
      • This guide written by a former Community Writer, LT, explains how you can use BB code in your posts. It covers font size and colour as well as the options easily accessible from the bar of shortcuts available when making a post
  • Alastair
    10264 posts Moderator
    MLyQ15C.png

This is a thread which aims to improve the quality of the stories on this forums by providing tutorials, graphics and other resources which are free for any member to use.

This pack contains tutorials, graphics and other resources which are free for any member to use for their story on this forums.

RrA8Thy.png

If you wish to add anything to the pack then feel free to post it here or send me a PM and I'll provide you with a URL you can use to directly upload it to the pack.

I am looking for someone to help compile this pack. If you're interested then please send me a PM and I can set up edit privileges to the folder for you.
  • Alastair
    10264 posts Moderator
    Useful Links

Here are some links which will be useful to both new and old members

Gimp - Free Image Editing Software
    Adobe Photoshop Trial
    Paint.net- Free Image Editing Software
    Using Forum BBCode

Feel free to suggest any new links you would like me to include.
  • Chris
    5669 posts Big Money Move
    1peEXJx.png

How's this look?
  • Chris
    Z0KqkYs.png
    NreG36D.png
    nW4EaeN.png
    gWO0LC3.png
    NdAfEFz.png
    IwFlXC9.png
    Z7JmJZF.png
    9oitKud.png
  • Chris
    edited September 2020
    PZfIpoR.png
    Zivpxr9.png
    YAy20X5.png
    6k9jl6E.png
  • Chris
    aG7O2rN.png
    y5hp7ND.png
    aDEPjy7.png
    HcAeZDA.pngx4nW0VR.pngXRxOmNN.pngmGbM043.png
  • Chris
    Sorry for the spam, I just did a fair bit of these in one go, so brain is a bit fried haha
  • Ashy
    20078 posts Club Captain
    edited September 2020
    Chris wrote: »
    Sorry for the spam, I just did a fair bit of these in one go, so brain is a bit fried haha

All looks great to me, liking the player profiles graphic. One thing that is bugging me is it looks like the score itself on the graphics are not central, not sure of it's the 0 in the 2-0 scoreline.

The transfer graphic is well done too, usually they can be very noticeable when you do PIADS (player in a different shirt) but in this case it's clean
  • Chris
    Ashy wrote: »

All looks great to me, liking the player profiles graphic. One thing that is bugging me is it looks like the score itself on the graphics are not central, not sure of it's the 0 in the 2-0 scoreline.

The transfer graphic is well done too, usually they can be very noticeable when you do PIADS (player in a different shirt) but in this case it's clean

Thanks. Yeah I'll fix up the score, it was bugging out when I was trying to line it up, not sure why but, I'll fix it later 😅

I need to get PS back to do proper PIADS, only so much I can do in PowerPoint, but this one turned out well
  • Stlducks
    9205 posts League Winner
    Can't believe that was made in PP. Looks great!

I'm going to keep it simple this year and stay with making graphics in excel. No idea how guys like @Ashy make great looking graphics and not have it take 4 hours. :D

With the ability to sim/jump into games, I want to get through a few seasons and move around as a manager so keeping graphics simple while looking nice is my plan.
  • Chris
    Legit it's all just shapes 😅 it works for me anyway haha

Ashys been pumping out sick graphics for years now haha, just do it however you like it
  • Chris
    edited September 2020
    We had a thread a while ago, in which you just sort of posted updates on how your private CMs were going. Looking back there was some neat ways of doing updates and like, if you wanted to do a thread without the fancy graphics then you could try something like this

Manchester United
    Team: Manchester United Football Club
    Half Length: 7 minutes
    Difficulty: Legendary

Major Events
    • Mauricio Pochettino appointed manager of Manchester United

2020/21

August 2020
    • Mauricio Pochettino named the new manager of Manchester United
    • Hired three scouts, and sent them all out on a nine month trip to their home countries of England, Wales and Spain
    • [PRE] 0-1 (A) Aston Villa
    • Signed Donny van de Beek (83 ovr / 23 yo) from Ajax for $40,000,000
    • [PRE] 2-2 (H) Derby County
    • Sold Alexis Sanchez (82 ovr / 31 yo) to Inter Milan for $15,000,000
    • [PRE] 3-0 (N) Barcelona
    Post edited by Chris on
  • Danimal5981
    2896 posts Fans' Favourite
    example of the generic score-sheet for this season with Ajax

KqUhvxh.png
  • Chris
    Looks good!
  • Stlducks
    9205 posts League Winner
    Looks good. I like the stats added in the corner, simple but shows more about the game.
  • Stlducks
    9205 posts League Winner
    edited October 2020
    MwC6AkI.png
    Post edited by Stlducks on
  • Chris
    Looks good. I prefer it when you make the background either transparent with a png, or just match it with the forum colour so it blends in. That's just me though, still looks good
  • Stlducks
    9205 posts League Winner
    Looks good. I prefer it when you make the background either transparent with a png, or just match it with the forum colour so it blends in. That's just me though, still looks good

I’ve been debating making the background white or with color. Since I just use google sheets, I can’t get too fancy making it transparent but I might lean towards making the background white so it is a “cleaner” look.

Thanks.
  • WestardLord
    2480 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2021
    Trying a new condensed format which should make things more concise and hopefully easier to read.

Any thoughts?

4QIgYeA.png
    acPowDf.png
    Post edited by WestardLord on
  • CHYP2074
    2598 posts Fans' Favourite
    A little shootout to @Alastair
    I just started a story and to be fair this is already a big boost of help.
    Now can I post a link to take advice or is this considered advertising?
  • Stlducks
    9205 posts League Winner
    CHYP2074 wrote: »
    A little shootout to @Alastair
    I just started a story and to be fair this is already a big boost of help.
    Now can I post a link to take advice or is this considered advertising?

I don't see why you can't post a link for advice. No different than making a thread and posting on here I would say.
  • CHYP2074
    Thanks
    Here it is
    https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/595443/a-tricky-situation-at-harrogate#latest
    I guess I need more pics? Any flaws in my writing? Is it obvious I am a foreigner? (non-English-native).
    Any simple graphic tools to use?
  • CHYP2074
    Z0KqkYs.png
    NreG36D.png
    nW4EaeN.png
    gWO0LC3.png
    NdAfEFz.png
    IwFlXC9.png
    Z7JmJZF.png
    9oitKud.png

Can you post an empty template?
  • CHYP2074
    I also have noticed these threads aren't the most active?
    Btw @chris I blanked the template myself if you were going to do it then you don't have to anymore, great template brw
  • Stlducks
    9205 posts League Winner
    I also have noticed these threads aren't the most active?
    Btw @chris I blanked the template myself if you were going to do it then you don't have to anymore, great template brw

Yea this forum was really active a few years ago and every year it is dropped down. I think people just got sick of the same FIFA issues year after year.
  • CHYP2074
    Very unfortunate
    I will try my best
  • CHYP2074
    @Stlducks you seem pretty experienced in here, I would love it if you could constructively criticize my story, I know I am doing something wrong I know something is missing, I am trying to improve it every day.
    I know it is possible that it's because I am new and I need to be consistent to have people following it, but in this case, I know I am doing something wrong. I have seen the Dallas, NY red bull, and Dusseldorf stories, similarily the Arsenal non-negotiables and the spurs rebuild. Please put me on the right path any advice is very much appreciated even if it's critics.
  • Ashy
    20078 posts Club Captain
    edited April 2021
    @Stlducks you seem pretty experienced in here, I would love it if you could constructively criticize my story, I know I am doing something wrong I know something is missing, I am trying to improve it every day.
    I know it is possible that it's because I am new and I need to be consistent to have people following it, but in this case, I know I am doing something wrong. I have seen the Dallas, NY red bull, and Dusseldorf stories, similarily the Arsenal non-negotiables and the spurs rebuild. Please put me on the right path any advice is very much appreciated even if it's critics.

I can try critique your story if you like

Also you are probably doing nothing wrong it's just very quiet in here so don't expect replies after every update, at best you'll have 'silent viewers' these will click on your story and read the update but not comment, there are maybe 2-3 active people including you at best on here right now so I'd definitely try post it elsewhere if you are looking for interaction but also I'd update it and post here as a secondary thing.

You would have loved this place 5 years ago, you would have at least 10 active stories, get multiple replies each day and we had about 15 or so regulars following each others story, going back even further you struggle to keep your story on the first page there were so many.

I still think there is a place for career mode stories in this format because you can let your imagination run and do all sorts of graphics etc which cannot be done with YouTube for example but the community is dead here.