Government launches call for evidence on video game loot boxes

Ashy
20994 posts Club Captain
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-call-for-evidence-on-video-game-loot-boxes

Opens from today until Nov 22, could this be the end of UT as we know it? B)

Comments

• TDOF
    8998 posts League Winner
    Here's a link to a survey too (takes like 3 minutes)

https://dcms.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ebuajScHCCzLoj3
  • RadioShaq
    19963 posts Moderator
    Could change gaming or exclude the uk from those games. This looks like it’s the lootboxes like packs or chests from games like diablo wow or fortnite not just fifa points like most expected.
  • Ashy
    20994 posts Club Captain
    edited September 2020
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Could change gaming or exclude the uk from those games. This looks like it’s the lootboxes like packs or chests from games like diablo wow or fortnite not just fifa points like most expected.

You don't pay money to open chests in fortnite unless you mean the story mode version which is the exact same as opening packs of fifa so should be banned

Anything that is not guaranteed should be banned, the only micro transactions that should exist are cosmetic items that you can see, choose and spend money and get that item, like the daily shops in many games. Any sort of DLC you where you know what you are paying for and a battle pass feature where you know what you are getting. At a push even buying stuff they give you an advantage such as buying Messi for £50. That isn't gambling you are paying for what you are getting rather than a lottery
  • RadioShaq
    19963 posts Moderator
    If you read the link you posted it said with or without using real money. Those chests are designed the same way and will all have to be removed or at least give you the exact same item every time.

Diablo mainstreamed the design of lootbox gaming. I personally liked diablo and all lootbox games but if the governments deem it so it won’t be allowed.
  • KZouma5
    354 posts Sunday League Hero
    This type of thing has been said for years now and nothing has actually materialised. Still hoping something happens though
  • Gamble
    896 posts Semi-Pro
    Completed the survey.

Felt a bit sick when it said what do you think your lifetime spend is and over what period. I dread to think what I have spent on Fifa since FUT09.
  • Mossup
    1385 posts Professional
    I'd strongly recommend everyone takes the time to complete this. It’ll take about 10 mins if you want to provide more than just the basic responses.

Don’t worry about privacy or data collection. You can submit it anonymously if you don’t want to leave your email at the end.
  • I appreciate the whole point of FUT is for EA to make money from Fifapoints but they could easily swerve a lot of the debate on this by only letting people “charge up” their clubs Fifa points at the initial point of purchase (i.e when they buy the game) ......and perhaps also a mid season christmas window.

It’s the constant temptation ....the addiction element.... that will never sit right with people ....but confine them to a one off decision and I think you would get a more considered approach from everyone..

• Jjleeky
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The sooner this game is brought to book the better. Kids are using there parents credit cards, do you really think that isn’t a problem. The game is manipulated by mathematical and algorithms. Ai is ❤️❤️❤️❤️ it’s there for ea profits. And as for the server well how the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ you have an elite 100 is beyond me unless they live next door to the server. Thank god I haven’t spent money on this obviously f-x39 game
  • Afridi19
    787 posts Semi-Pro
    Completed it

Buying 12k points is almost worth 2 new games and i know it’s pure luck /gamble it should at least be rewarding