The Anime Thread

Comments

  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something


    This sure brings the FSN: UBW BR into a different perspective.
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2015
    Recent subs are pretty disappointing. Like when they come out right on the day of or something like that, they often miss out on so many meanings. I'm watching the HorribleSubs (fitting name and usual suspects) for the second cour of UBW and I keep catching missed lines.

    I almost wish I didn't know what each word meant now, after all these shows I've watched, since I now can see the difference between the raws and the sub translations.

    They're usually okay for old releases though, as more eagle-eyed people take them on.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    This sure brings the FSN: UBW BR into a different perspective.
    that donk

  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    Kaede wrote: »
    Recent subs are pretty disappointing. Like when they come out right on the day of or something like that, they often miss out on so many meanings. I'm watching the HorribleSubs (fitting name and usual suspects) for the second cour of UBW and I keep catching missed lines.

    I almost wish I didn't know what each word meant now, after all these shows I've watched, since I now can see the difference between the raws and the sub translations.

    They're usually okay for old releases though, as more eagle-eyed people take them on.


    HorribleSubs just steal crunchroll and funimation subs
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Kaede wrote: »
    Recent subs are pretty disappointing. Like when they come out right on the day of or something like that, they often miss out on so many meanings. I'm watching the HorribleSubs (fitting name and usual suspects) for the second cour of UBW and I keep catching missed lines.

    I almost wish I didn't know what each word meant now, after all these shows I've watched, since I now can see the difference between the raws and the sub translations.

    They're usually okay for old releases though, as more eagle-eyed people take them on.
    If what the people of MAL say is true those subs are just ripped straight from sites that do simulcasts. Simulcasts generally have terrible subtitles because they're translated as quickly as possible.
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Rin is so dere.
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Also Kalafina songs are great.
  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    Just exactly how much Japanese have you learned from anime to realise that? I definitely have picked up this and that but mostly for one word exchanges etc.

    Maybe already having 2.5 languages in my head limits my ability to pick up more =/
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Just exactly how much Japanese have you learned from anime to realise that? I definitely have picked up this and that but mostly for one word exchanges etc.

    Maybe already having 2.5 languages in my head limits my ability to pick up more =/
    half?

  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Well, I'm not sure. I think I've learned a lot, particularly every day speech. I was in Vietnam on the tour boats and a lot of Japanese people were there and I was able to understand them, though I obviously can't speak a word. I listen to Japanese music more than I do English now, so that adds on to my 250 ish seasons of anime in the past year.

    I'm learning Mandarin as well. I speak English, French, and some Cantonese. I've stole a lot of the Chinese off my Asian friends, similarly to how a lot of my friends that went to French HS know some Arabic from that demographic. Trying to speak my second and third languages usually leads to me having brain misinterpretations and mixing languages.
  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    bear wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Just exactly how much Japanese have you learned from anime to realise that? I definitely have picked up this and that but mostly for one word exchanges etc.

    Maybe already having 2.5 languages in my head limits my ability to pick up more =/
    half?

    I can hold a somewhat convo in Spanish for lolworthy convos due to bad pronunciation and poor word choices. There's a lot of words im missing though... So I just call it half :p

    I speak English and Greek fluently though
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    I'm fluent in French and can do conversational in either Chinese, but my listening is fluent for Cantonese (having been to HK so many times and grown up around Asians).
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Also, it's amusing how much the written languages kinda overlap. There's some words that I can pick out in Japanese on signs because they look like Chinese.
  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    Kaede wrote: »
    Also, it's amusing how much the written languages kinda overlap. There's some words that I can pick out in Japanese on signs because they look like Chinese.

    I wouldn't know that. TBH I still haven't figured out the syntax the Japanese use....it's like Russian at times where everything seems mixed up when you try and interpret it as English.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    bear wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Just exactly how much Japanese have you learned from anime to realise that? I definitely have picked up this and that but mostly for one word exchanges etc.

    Maybe already having 2.5 languages in my head limits my ability to pick up more =/
    half?

    I can hold a somewhat convo in Spanish for lolworthy convos due to bad pronunciation and poor word choices. There's a lot of words im missing though... So I just call it half :p

    I speak English and Greek fluently though
    It's cool that you can speak Greek, I've had a handful of greek friends and acquaintances and I've always thought it sounded cool. When it comes to spanish I can understand the basic points of what people are trying to say, but I'd take too long to reply in an actual conversation. Oddly enough it's not the specific words that throw me off (context helps a lot with that), it's the grammar/syntax that screws with me, especially when having to reply.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Kaede wrote: »
    Also, it's amusing how much the written languages kinda overlap. There's some words that I can pick out in Japanese on signs because they look like Chinese.

    I wouldn't know that. TBH I still haven't figured out the syntax the Japanese use....it's like Russian at times where everything seems mixed up when you try and interpret it as English.
    It seems like it's backwards. Like the grammar in some subtitles makes sense, when they talk to someone the name will show up in the beginning of a subtitled sentence, but the character won't say it until the end.
  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2015
    Well I am Greek so it'd be embarrassing if I hadn't learned it yet :lol:

    The Spanish was from being around a few friends in uni who were and I picked up stuff here and there. Helped using a girl as inspiration to get a lot further than I should've in those 3-4 years.

    Actually it's kinda funny these day, I teach but I enjoy learning more. Kinda backwards.
  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    bear wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Kaede wrote: »
    Also, it's amusing how much the written languages kinda overlap. There's some words that I can pick out in Japanese on signs because they look like Chinese.

    I wouldn't know that. TBH I still haven't figured out the syntax the Japanese use....it's like Russian at times where everything seems mixed up when you try and interpret it as English.
    It seems like it's backwards. Like the grammar in some subtitles makes sense, when they talk to someone the name will show up in the beginning of a subtitled sentence, but the character won't say it until the end.

    Sometimes it's like that, other times it seems pretty linear. I try and use key words that I get plus names to keep track of it and figure out new ones but at times it seems like there's no consistency.
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2015
    It's their sentence structure and grammar.

    It is also because I can say this, "Mike, something something" or "Something something, Mike". It just means you might not get the same pattern twice even in English.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    That sounds so off. When talking to someone even without using a name it's usually "did you, have you, will you, can you" and if you're not already talking to the person you put their name in the beginning to get their attention "Hey X, did you/can you/have you/will you".
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    I actually use both of those in real life, appending names to the start and end so yeah. ;-;
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    We have our first 1/10 initial rating of the season: Vampire Holmes. It is really bad to look at and the five minutes were numbing. Great. My mean score for my MAL continues to travel towards sub 5/10.
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Thank god it is short or I'd have considered breaking my three episode drop rule.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Do carry overs count for the season they started in, the season they end in, or both?
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Started in.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Thanks
    Kaede wrote: »
    If Ayase was a filthy **** I wouldn't have wanted her to win.

  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    Kaede wrote: »

    Surprised no one answered "not after I got my Haruhi dakimakura".
  • Low Ki
    11712 posts Has That Special Something
    Arslan Senki wasn't a bad start. Pretty obvious it was written by the same guy that wrote Legend of the Galactic Heroes with the heavy handed political and moral undertones. Not as much hack and slashing as I expected...hell, the preview for ep 2 had more blood than this entire ep. Going to be interesting watching the character development of wide eyed idealistic good kid Arslan realise his dad is kind of a **** and the world isn't as nice as he thinks.

    Pars is clearly meant to represent Persia. Looks like it too.
  • Orange Prince
    5881 posts Big Money Move
    Kaede wrote: »
    We have our first 1/10 initial rating of the season: Vampire Holmes. It is really bad to look at and the five minutes were numbing. Great. My mean score for my MAL continues to travel towards sub 5/10.

    I wouldn't even rate it tbh, possibly worst anime I've seen.

Sign In or Register to comment.