The Anime Thread

Comments

• bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2018
    bear wrote: »
    Anybody else not feeling the last two parts of dbza? I’m getting a weird vibe that they’re trying just a little to hard to NOT be as silly and funny as every single other episode. I feel like there method for comedy was to fit in as many of the running jokes as they could where applicable and that just hasn’t been there the last two parts.

I think it's brilliant, they are more accurately following the story but still making jokes
    and pointing out the illogical stuff that confused us all growing up.

They also did fit in some long running jokes. The third death ice cream, Tien being bitter at the widening gap, 16 wanting his head to be used to beat Goku to death with, Goku being a terrible father who has no understanding of his own son so Piccolo has to teĺl him. Also Goku doing the yoshi thing but instead using Oompa Loompas with Krillin.

I remember those bits, but I also know I didn't laugh nearly as much at these last two videos as I have damn near any other they've put out under DBZA. Maybe the stupid long break between 59 and 60.1 allowed for a shift in personal taste, but I don't think that's the case as I can rewatch episodes and still bust a gut laughing.

It doesn't matter how many times I watch it, but DBZA 55's opening of Goku and Gohan exiting the chamber has me dying every single time. "I wish I were a carrot"
  • dannyboy
    12779 posts Has That Special Something
    Not as funny as before but still good.

I liked the androids' voices.
  • Zhen
    1391 posts Moderator
    Trunks with the sensu beans was also a great part. I feel like they had to make some scenes more serious. I feel like they pulled it off perfectly
  • Just a reminder of Mr.Popo's greatness and for anyone who had an issue with power scaling super.

TFS just have to do this one day, even if they don't continue the series. Twerps need to learn the pecking order.

Low Ki wrote: »
    I just think it's uneven as a whole. Start of DBZA was pretty bad, Frieza saga was amazing, then the voices of Androids 16-18 were awful....but I've liked the Cell saga.

Yajirobe is somehow even worse in DBZA than in the actual series.

It was a bit rocky at first but I loved Nappa and when Vegeta fired the Galick-gun only for Goku to say "ooooo did you say Garlic?" It had me in tears

I think the biggest problem is that they have created some amazing versions of characters like Nappa, Super Kami Guru and Zarbon but obviously had to lose them.

Shame that it is going on a hiatus with no return ever guaranteed because I really want to see what they'd do with Majin Vegeta and Babadi.

• bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Given how ott serious they got recently, i'd bet on Majin Vegeta being a swing and a miss for me.
  • Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    Steins Gate 0 spoilers
    What an amazing **** episode, best of the series for sure. When Okabe starting laughing I had the biggest grin on my face. The scenes were so well done too and the OSTs were on point. The wait has been worth it.

El Psy Kongroo
  • Zhen
    1391 posts Moderator
  • dannyboy
    Oh they're doing a 4th season after all.
  • Low Ki
    11578 posts Has That Special Something
    I thought they gave up on adapting Buu Saga because Toei was going at them extra hard early this year.

Maybe they'll make Buu actually watchable?
  • Loved it. The Krillin and 18 scene after the credits....Just wow.
  • dannyboy wrote: »

So less serious then this season which makes sense I guess, there is a goldmine of goofs to made with the Buu saga.
  • dannyboy
    f4a wrote: »

Even if it's just another 10 chapters + volume release, I'm very happy

Just caught up :sunglasses:
  • Low Ki
    Academia's season is ending next week. That one guy from the Top Three looks like Vault Boy from Fallout :lol:
  • dannyboy
    Didn't really rate that arc TBH
  • Low Ki
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Didn't really rate that arc TBH

Overhaul not worth it, then?

After One for All, this season was pretty mellow in comparison. Not bad at all but nowhere near the highs it hit.
  • Low Ki
    I think Jatz told me Golden Wind was one of the weakest Jojo stories. The debut felt perfect though.

Guess time will tell.
  • Bean
    Watched 1st Episode of Goblin Slayer

Yep I wasn't expecting THAT scene..
  • Low Ki
    Bean wrote: »

I'm ready to try ep 1. Do you mean that in a brutally violent way, or is it secretly a hentai disguised as an action/fantasy.
  • Bean
    Low Ki wrote: »

I'm ready to try ep 1. Do you mean that in a brutally violent way, or is it secretly a hentai disguised as an action/fantasy.

A bit of both, I'll let you find out. :wink: Other than that it was a good first episode and it has the potential to be a good series.
  • CeeQue
    10410 posts Has That Special Something

• Zhen
    1391 posts Moderator
    CeeQue wrote: »

Just watched it. Really didn’t expect any of that
  • StrutterGear
    1482 posts Play-Off Hero
    No Beserk on the list?
  • Low Ki
    No Beserk on the list?

The original and the Golden Age movies are quality. I want to like the current series but the art style is soooo cheap and bad.
  • dannyboy
    Wish they'd release more than 5-6 chapters a year
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner

@Bean have you continued watching? Watched the 1st episode & wondering if it’s worth sticking with!
  • Low Ki
    edited November 2018
    Goblin Slayer’s not bad. The interactions with the party are ok but like with the main character they’re nothing special and it more feels like a raid of the week story. It’s ok though.

I just caught up with Tokyo Ghoul. Is it just me or are there way too many characters which has made it a confusing mess? Feels like I can’t keep track of what’s going on as every 20mins too many characters are being given large stories while even more are being introed the same ep.

For the record I could keep track of and liked Durarara’s huge cast but this one is on a whole different level of drowning in its own scope.
  • Bean
    Agree with @Low Ki it's a good show to watch if you like action but not so much character building wise. Probably one of the better shows that's airing still however. Jojo Part 5 has been alright so far too and that seems like it's only gonna get better.
  • Bean
    Most recent Ep of Goblin Slayer was actually really good, interested to see what happens after that ending.