The Anime Thread

Comments

• SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    Agree with both.
    Mustang's character in fma:b was goat. He wasn't as involved in the 2003 version. I had to watch that stupid Nina dog scene twice since it's in both :'(

Is the movie worth a watch? After going this far I'll watch it, but not got any massive expectations.

Oh & in fma:b, Winry has some *scenes* :D when she doesn't realise Ed is in her room...
  • Low Ki
    11744 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2018
    Conqueror of Shamballa is the conclusion for the 2003 series so I guess it's required. The other movie isn't worth it IMO, you can watch it but it's got no point in the story.

And yeah Mustang was the MVP.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    Nice one, any recommendations on what to start next? Bonus if it's on UK Netflix :joy:
  • Shaanxz
    20298 posts Club Captain
    Damn season 3 episode 3 of boku no hero

Easily one of the best fights I’ve ever seen in terms of raw emotion
  • dannyboy
    12803 posts Has That Special Something
    SF9 wrote: »
    Nice one, any recommendations on what to start next? Bonus if it's on UK Netflix :joy:

What have you seen ?
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    dannyboy wrote: »

What have you seen ?

Fma was the first one I've properly watched, excluding things like Pokemon & Yugioh :joy:
  • Low Ki
    Fate Zero if you liked FMA, its a fair bit more brutal but really good. Just avoid any of its related shows as the rest are pretty bad.

Hunter x Hunter is something you can't really go wrong with.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    I'll check them out, thanks!
  • f4a
    1927 posts Play-Off Hero
    Can't really go wrong with TTGL tbh
  • dannyboy
    F/Z is great

Code Geass as well
  • Low Ki
    F/Z is great

Code Geass as well

You really want to show him the table, don’t you?
  • dannyboy
    Low Ki wrote: »
    F/Z is great

Code Geass as well

You really want to show him the table, don’t you?

Maybe
  • Low Ki
    The new Captain Tsubasa is decent. Definitely more aimed for kids but it's a decent football series. Didn't know this either :lol:
    Lionel Messi, Fernando Torres, Andrés Iniesta and Alessandro Del Piero are known the world over. It is an uncommon denominator, however, that connects these superstars and many more around the globe: a Japanase manga and anime series by the name of Captain Tsubasa.

http://www.eifsoccer.com/leagues/international/captain-tsubasa/

I knew it was massive in Japan but had no idea its reach was that wide :lol:
  • Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    Finally got through FMA:B
    Didn't enjoy the story in the beginning but I got hooked on it eventually. Really enjoyed Ling/Greed, King Bradley and of course Major Armstrong. Loved it when Bradley/Wrath came back and tore up all the Briggs soldiers, the episodes around then were definitely the best in the series.
    I take it the original is worth watching too then? Think I might give it a watch and maybe then start Death Note afterwards.
  • Shaanxz
    20298 posts Club Captain
    Bean wrote: »
    Finally got through FMA:B
    Didn't enjoy the story in the beginning but I got hooked on it eventually. Really enjoyed Ling/Greed, King Bradley and of course Major Armstrong. Loved it when Bradley/Wrath came back and tore up all the Briggs soldiers, the episodes around then were definitely the best in the series.
    I take it the original is worth watching too then? Think I might give it a watch and maybe then start Death Note afterwards.

Original has a different ending, I much preferred fmab.

Depends I would go to death note now
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional

Tokyo Ghoul is cool.

As is Gantz but I can't remember if they have the anime or the movie. Heard the movie is still good though
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    @Bean the original is a lot slower, and as Shaanzx has a different ending. You have to go through the Nina pain twice which is horrifying enough, but I really enjoyed the bond the viewer had between Ed & Al in the original, as the full story is basically based on them (not as much story regarding Roy Mustang etc. as fma:b) Plus Al's voice is sooo much better in the original. I'd say give it a watch but at the beginning it will be repeating itself a little.
  • Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    Maybe then, seems interesting enough to watch. I'm sure if I don't watch it soon I'll watch it at some point in the future.

@SF9 One Punch Man got recently added and that's a fun watch. Action mixed with comedy and it's short too, something like 12 episodes. Attack on Titan is heavily action packed if you want that but you'll have to find the second season elsewhere, I watched the rest on CrunchyRoll.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    Cheers fellas.
  • Shaanxz
    20298 posts Club Captain
    Tokyo ghoul episode was good. The feels when unravel was playing and the haise and kaneki scene
  • EA_Cian
    1131 posts EA Staff (retired)
    I'd definitely suggest fans of either FMA series watch both. They definitely start on a very similar foot but diverge enough to offer different experiences. :smile:
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    EA_Cian wrote: »
    I'd definitely suggest fans of either FMA series watch both. They definitely start on a very similar foot but diverge enough to offer different experiences. :smile:

I love Brotherhood and have always been told that it is far better then the original. The person who convinced me to watch it even told me to avoid the original as it was "meh" in comparison.

• Low Ki
    I reckon the reason to go with Brotherhood is because it’s how the story was always intended to by its author. Felt more complete for me.

The 2003 has a decent ending, but I think they avoided and rewrote a lot of things they shouldn’t have so the studio could complete the story on their own. Or some things which they ignored outright.

Brotherhood tied together with what came before much better to me and the final arc was nonstop epic tension, definitely outdid the other.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    As said previously I feel the viewer gains a lot more of a bond with Ed & Al watching the original 2003 series. The full series is literally about their search to get their bodies back, next to no side plots etc. unlike brotherhood which focuses a lot more on other characters.
  • Low Ki
    Like their dad. Huge difference there.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Like their dad. Huge difference there.

Yeah for sure, massive difference regarding that plot.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    As said previously I feel the viewer gains a lot more of a bond with Ed & Al watching the original 2003 series. The full series is literally about their search to get their bodies back, next to no side plots etc. unlike brotherhood which focuses a lot more on other characters.

I feel that the side characters made the show and were the most interesting ones. Seeing them develop and evolve around Ed and Al was what the anime did best. We obviously still got the great story of Ed and AL but I can't imagine them carrying a story focused on them alone.

I haven't seen the original yet but brotherhood just strikes me as the perfect Anime.

• Low Ki
    edited May 2018
    Mustang is arguably the best character of the lot, but Greed’s character arc across the series is a fave of mine. In the 2003 series he was just a minor character.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    I’m not arguing that the 2003 series > brotherhood, I enjoyed them both but for different reasons. I think both are definitely worth a watch & you can’t compare both if you haven’t seen them :joy:
  • EA_Cian
    1131 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Both shows definitely offer different things (Greed and other homunculi being excellent examples) and I don't think I've met a person who hasn't preferred one over the other. Both are good shows with their own merits though. :smile: