Community Shield 2020/21

134
Nem
9145 posts League Winner
maxresdefault.jpg

liverpool-arsenal-community-shield-2020_19e8iifb1gcdj1qgkhds7o9v6v.jpeg?t=-1352386381&quality=100

0_GettyImages-1011332836.jpg

Comments

  • Snugglebites
    3083 posts National Call-Up
    We're gonna need this shield to defend our PL title.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    This seems like being even more of a friendly than it usually is given the circumstances. Will Pool and Arse have even played a fixture by the time this comes around next week? Will more substitutions than normal be allowed?
  • Wyojasond
    18938 posts World Class
    Last I heard, both teams are very likely to play reserves. Now that was a few weeks ago, so who actually knows.

    Liverpool have two friendlies lined up this week. Stuttgart and RB Salzburg. Some talk of another before the actual season starts.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    You can't blame either club if they put out the reserves for this.

    Hope the fa being sensible and allowing 11+ subs.
  • Stlducks
    10273 posts Has That Special Something
    Nem wrote: »
    This seems like being even more of a friendly than it usually is given the circumstances. Will Pool and Arse have even played a fixture by the time this comes around next week? Will more substitutions than normal be allowed?

    Liverpool have 2 friendlies before the shield. I’m not sure if Arsenal do, if so, the games are not listed yet on the app I use.

    Don’t teams already get to use 6 subs in the community shield match?
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    It's either 5 or 6 usually.

    I think that should be increased to normal friendly numbers given the lack of preparation (read somewhere Arsenal aren't even back in training yet).
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    I hope you asked Tornado for permission.
  • arsenalap
    14533 posts Has That Special Something
    I havent seen any friendlies lined up for us.

    Most players are still away on holiday.

    No idea who we will lineup. The season has started very oddly and quickly.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    Liverpool fielding a strong lineup in today's friendly while Arsenal yet to even start training. Madness.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    arsenalap wrote: »
    No idea who we will lineup. The season has started very oddly and quickly.

    The players go away for international duty middle of/late next week as well if I'm not mistaken. Ridiculous they didn't reschedule that break.
  • Stlducks
    10273 posts Has That Special Something
    International matches should have been scrapped until 2021. No need to have players go away this early into the new season.
  • Wyojasond
    18938 posts World Class
    I thought it all had been scrapped til next summer. I’ve heard zero talk of players leaving anytime soon.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I thought it all had been scrapped til next summer. I’ve heard zero talk of players leaving anytime soon.

    International break the week before the season starts.
  • Stlducks
    10273 posts Has That Special Something
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I thought it all had been scrapped til next summer. I’ve heard zero talk of players leaving anytime soon.

    UEFA Nations League is still scheduled in September, Oct and November. I also saw an article today about Troy Parrott being called up for Ireland so he will miss the Millwall friendlies to start the year.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I thought it all had been scrapped til next summer. I’ve heard zero talk of players leaving anytime soon.

    UEFA Nations League is still scheduled in September, Oct and November. I also saw an article today about Troy Parrott being called up for Ireland so he will miss the Millwall friendlies to start the year.

    It's irresponsible by the governing body with all that's gone on this year.
  • Nem
    9145 posts League Winner
    Would usually ask for predictions but for today it's probably best to wait on the lineups.
  • G000ner
    9311 posts League Winner
    Given the circumstances I'd be surprised if Liverpool didn't win comfortably. 4-0 to Liverpool I'd go for
  • Pxul_
    12830 posts Has That Special Something
    2-0 Liverpool
  • CaTriEm
    2118 posts Fans' Favourite
    Reckon Liverpool will win comfortably, pretty farcical that I'm more concerned about us getting through the game injury-free than I am with us winning it.

    Glorified friendly, not real silverware.
  • Gervonta
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    Well it is real silverware..... a trophy is a trophy every team would like to start the season on a high winning some silverware.

  • El_Nino
    10419 posts Has That Special Something
    Kind of agree with both viewpoints.

    It’s always nice to start your season winning a trophy, but at the same time it is pretty meaningless, it’s on a par with the world club challenge thing for me.
  • Gervonta
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Kind of agree with both viewpoints.

    It’s always nice to start your season winning a trophy, but at the same time it is pretty meaningless, it’s on a par with the world club challenge thing for me.

    It’s still a trophy though might not be as prestigious as say the CL but it’s still a trophy. Like when people down play the EL and carabao cup. It’s still a trophy added to the cabinet at the end of the day and that’s what clubs/players/managers should aspire for.


  • Tornado31619
    34452 posts National Team Captain
    If you can win it, great. But if I’m picking between the Carabao Cup final and Chelsea away in a battle for top four, I’m going with the latter.
  • CaTriEm
    2118 posts Fans' Favourite
    Obviously it's better to win it than lose it, a win would be great for morale and a good platform to start the season, but that's about it.

    Let's be real, the only time anyone brings up winning the Shield is when they're putting a biased positive spin on their own club. Liverpool have won 15 of them and it's not even on their Melwood honours board. Not on the level of Carabao cup for me.
  • El_Nino
    10419 posts Has That Special Something
    Gervonta wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Kind of agree with both viewpoints.

    It’s always nice to start your season winning a trophy, but at the same time it is pretty meaningless, it’s on a par with the world club challenge thing for me.

    It’s still a trophy though might not be as prestigious as say the CL but it’s still a trophy. Like when people down play the EL and carabao cup. It’s still a trophy added to the cabinet at the end of the day and that’s what clubs/players/managers should aspire for.


    Whilst I agree, Klopp amongst others has shown its no longer what some clubs/players/managers aspire too, there’s a lot of people in and out of football that really don’t care about anything other than the CL and league title, maybe the best domestic cup.
  • Tornado31619
    34452 posts National Team Captain
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Gervonta wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Kind of agree with both viewpoints.

    It’s always nice to start your season winning a trophy, but at the same time it is pretty meaningless, it’s on a par with the world club challenge thing for me.

    It’s still a trophy though might not be as prestigious as say the CL but it’s still a trophy. Like when people down play the EL and carabao cup. It’s still a trophy added to the cabinet at the end of the day and that’s what clubs/players/managers should aspire for.


    Whilst I agree, Klopp amongst others has shown its no longer what some clubs/players/managers aspire too, there’s a lot of people in and out of football that really don’t care about anything other than the CL and league title, maybe the best domestic cup.

    This. It used to be what mid table clubs like Leicester, Everton and Wolves would aim for, but even they are loaded now, so they’re more focused on CL qualification. And then those who finish just below them like Sheff Utd and Burnley are now looking at the EL.

    Really, the domestic cups only matter to EFL clubs now, and that’s mainly for the income.
  • El_Nino
    10419 posts Has That Special Something
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Gervonta wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Kind of agree with both viewpoints.

    It’s always nice to start your season winning a trophy, but at the same time it is pretty meaningless, it’s on a par with the world club challenge thing for me.

    It’s still a trophy though might not be as prestigious as say the CL but it’s still a trophy. Like when people down play the EL and carabao cup. It’s still a trophy added to the cabinet at the end of the day and that’s what clubs/players/managers should aspire for.


    Whilst I agree, Klopp amongst others has shown its no longer what some clubs/players/managers aspire too, there’s a lot of people in and out of football that really don’t care about anything other than the CL and league title, maybe the best domestic cup.

    This. It used to be what mid table clubs like Leicester, Everton and Wolves would aim for, but even they are loaded now, so they’re more focused on CL qualification. And then those who finish just below them like Sheff Utd and Burnley are now looking at the EL.

    Really, the domestic cups only matter to EFL clubs now, and that’s mainly for the income.

    That’s the problem, it’s all about income, and basically any trophy that isn’t the CL or League title are essentially nothing by comparison financially.

    I know some people have far more romantic views on silverware, and while I wish the footballing world shared that sentiment, it doesn’t.
  • Gervonta
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    Yeah money has ruined the game on more than one front tbh , I still think if you’re a top level athlete/coach you should be aiming to win everything you’re involved in.
  • Tornado31619
    34452 posts National Team Captain
    Conversely, you can argue that there’s more competition in Europe, now. PSG made the final for the first time this year. They beat Leipzig and Atalanta to get there. Lyon made the semifinals as well. You had Leicester a few years back too, etc.
  • Pughy30
    30268 posts National Team Captain
    It's weird as an Arsenal fan I'm not even overly concerned if we lose here, the community shield has always been a pretty crap trophy imo
Sign In or Register to comment.