Ok so Icons clearly weren't more achievable this year, but......

MUFC_420
2924 posts Fans' Favourite
I know EA said they were making icons more attainable this year which turned out to be absolute bs. But the high rated top players outside of Icons have been alot more attainable. Last year I had a team full of prime and PIM icons but I'm beginning to think my team this year is actually better without them due to TOTSSF and SH.

What's your views on this?

Comments

• fifanew
    172 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    a lot of icons pretty cheap right now ...
  • Baddest_cubza_1
    3619 posts National Call-Up
    Mackie17 wrote: »
    Icons should be the best for most of the game. This releasing PIMs with a a couple of months before tots is BS just put them all in from the start

Or better ❤️❤️❤️❤️ the base and mids off entirely

Agreed, icons should be far superior to TOTS’s
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3647 posts National Call-Up
    I have good players yes. I do not have Gullit R9 Eusebio Cruyff...
  • Goodgod10
    617 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The very good ones are still unobtainable to most. Even decent PIM won't make most teams due to how good TOTSSF or SH cards are
  • Prettyfly
    963 posts Professional
    edited August 2020
    Icons in terms of stats shouldn’t ever be unuseable regardless of other special cards that come out they should remain useful for the full game cycle as it just degrades their status whereby this should not be the case 🤷‍♂️ Icons should remain the best cards in the game in my opinion
  • GoonerDude81
    1010 posts Professional
    MUFC_420 wrote: »
    I know EA said they were making icons more attainable this year which turned out to be absolute bs. But the high rated top players outside of Icons have been alot more attainable. Last year I had a team full of prime and PIM icons but I'm beginning to think my team this year is actually better without them due to TOTSSF and SH.

What's your views on this?

Icons are absolutely more attainable this year. I had one icon last year - Ronaldo 94. I was completely unable to get any other icons.

I had loads of prem tots out of packs last year amongst others, due to the pack weight being amazing between June and August, but not icons.

I have at least a dozen icons this year. So clearly they were a lot more achievable.

• Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    They made a lot of cards easy to get but once you reached a certain point, you had to either be a mad trader, get super lucky with pulls, or drop monies. Having the likes of Eusebio, Ronaldo, and Gullit to grind for last year meant folk could aim for and achieve a decent team. This year has been a farce for that. They need icon SBCs back.

As for tots, they made a rod for their own backs there. Basically everyone is 99 pace, 99 shooting, 99 defending, etc. Throw in the awful tactics so many use and it's just not fun. I've nothing but respect for the folk still playing this because I know I certainly can't anymore.

Lastly, I will echo the point that having four versions of each icon is just a stupid money grab. There's 100 lined up for '21... Just have one version of each.
  • MUFC_420
    Ishibum wrote: »
    They made a lot of cards easy to get but once you reached a certain point, you had to either be a mad trader, get super lucky with pulls, or drop monies. Having the likes of Eusebio, Ronaldo, and Gullit to grind for last year meant folk could aim for and achieve a decent team. This year has been a farce for that. They need icon SBCs back.

As for tots, they made a rod for their own backs there. Basically everyone is 99 pace, 99 shooting, 99 defending, etc. Throw in the awful tactics so many use and it's just not fun. I've nothing but respect for the folk still playing this because I know I certainly can't anymore.

Lastly, I will echo the point that having four versions of each icon is just a stupid money grab. There's 100 lined up for '21... Just have one version of each.

I agree Icon SBCs need to come back but the point I'm making is even though they have made top tier Icons pretty much out of reach they have actually made top tier players easier to obtain.

Last year I had Prime Eusebio, Prime Vieira, Prime Best, PIM Blanc, Prime Rio, PIM Yashin and Prime Dinho.

I'm actually enjoying my current team more than what I enjoyed that team and the only 2 Icons I have are PIM Makelele and Base Eusebio.

So what I'm trying to say is it isn't actually as bad as we originally thought throughout the year.

Though I really want the SBCs back next year as I'm wanting the best versions of Cantona, Rio, Vidic, Best and VDS.

Going to try and do a past and present United team with the best Icons and best versions of current players available. Will maybe bring a bit of fun back to the game for me.
  • Stone_cold_tea93

So what I'm trying to say is it isn't actually as bad as we originally thought throughout the year.

It's worse than I expected. None of the top end Icons were obtainable through swaps. They gave use watered down versions of Dinho Vieira and Gullit.
  • MUFC_420

It's worse than I expected. None of the top end Icons were obtainable through swaps. They gave use watered down versions of Dinho Vieira and Gullit.

I sort of expected that tbh 🤣
  • iamnotamaniamcantona
    1969 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 2020
    Quick straw poll about icons..???. (sorry if it comes across as a derail...it isnt)..

At this stage...how many Primes and PIMs can you get away with before everyone thinks you're a d1ck??

Seems like no body bats an eyelid when I use full TOTS / SH teams ....but 4 or 5 icons and its instant quits and messages saying "yo brah too many legends"

WTF's that all about?
  • Gloria_ou_Morte
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    Actually players like Seedorf or Petit Moments are achieable just over 500k, and these 2 guys are still midfield leaders.
  • Stone_cold_tea93

They could have chucked a couple of desirable Mids and then Primes/PIMs for 22 tokens. Make it a difficult choice like Mid Veiria Gullit or Pele.
  • MUFC_420

They could have chucked a couple of desirable Mids and then Primes/PIMs for 22 tokens. Make it a difficult choice like Mid Veiria Gullit or Pele.

Agreed. They really screwed us over with them swaps.
  • starfox1284
    3611 posts National Call-Up
    I have good players yes. I do not have Gullit R9 Eusebio Cruyff...

exactly, you can't tell me they are more accessible this year than last. Simply put, the made the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ ones more accessible (i.e. all people can afford to obtain) and made the good ones far less obtainable. I had Vieira and Gullit last year, this year I have PIM Koeman :#
  • JohnDoe
    12175 posts Has That Special Something
    Quick straw poll about icons..???. (sorry if it comes across as a derail...it isnt)..

At this stage...how many Primes and PIMs can you get away with before everyone thinks you're a d1ck??

Seems like no body bats an eyelid when I use full TOTS / SH teams ....but 4 or 5 icons and its instant quits and messages saying "yo brah too many legends"

WTF's that all about?

This reads like a fever dream.
  • BuZuS
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    Icons were far more attainable, since you could get them by just playing the game doing objectives, instead of doing 25 SBCs...
  • pes1972
    1892 posts Fans' Favourite
    BuZuS wrote: »
    Icons were far more attainable, since you could get them by just playing the game doing objectives, instead of doing 25 SBCs...

Completely agree, I buy the game and don´t put any extra money into it after that and previous years I have had 1-2 decent icons but this year 5-6 good ones so for the non-paying players this year has been better icon wise.
  • Stone_cold_tea93

Select Icons were but not the most desirable.
  • MUFC_420
    edited August 2020

We're talking about top tier Icons not the ones in swaps that very few would barely make most people's benches right now. There's maybe 1 or 2 that people will still be using but generally all them Icons from swaps are way behind the power curve.

At least with SBCs you could have top tier Prime Icons like R9, Eusebio, Vieira, Gullit, Dinho etc.

And look at all the high rated fodder we have been able to get this year. Completing these Icon SBCs would have been easier than ever.
  • Orison
    76718 posts Icon

We're talking about top tier Icons not the ones in swaps that very few would barely make most people's benches right now. There's maybe 1 or 2 that people will still be using but generally all them Icons from swaps are way behind the power curve.

At least with SBCs you could have top tier Prime Icons like R9, Eusebio, Vieira, Gullit, Dinho etc.

And look at all the high rated fodder we have been able to get this year. Completing these Icon SBCs would have been easier than ever.

I mean that's your artificial restriction on what you are talking about.

Objectively the large majority of icons are super accessible this year.

I don't mind it too much that the few big icons are expensive. I can afford them, but even if I couldn't atleast squad variety somewhat lasted until summer heat this year instead of being killed in march with icon sbcs.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class

I agree Icon SBCs need to come back but the point I'm making is even though they have made top tier Icons pretty much out of reach they have actually made top tier players easier to obtain.

Last year I had Prime Eusebio, Prime Vieira, Prime Best, PIM Blanc, Prime Rio, PIM Yashin and Prime Dinho.

I'm actually enjoying my current team more than what I enjoyed that team and the only 2 Icons I have are PIM Makelele and Base Eusebio.

Though I really want the SBCs back next year as I'm wanting the best versions of Cantona, Rio, Vidic, Best and VDS.

Going to try and do a past and present United team with the best Icons and best versions of current players available. Will maybe bring a bit of fun back to the game for me.

I personally think it's a lot worse, mate. The team I had last year is simply not possible for the cost of them. I don't disagree with the point that good players are very easy to attain (I mean, the likes of Mendy were free) but the top icons are basically unicorns for most people. Not saying everyone should be jumping about with Eusebio but it should at least be possible to get. That simply wasn't possible this time out.

As for your point about tots cards and SH cards being as good or better, there's a reason for the likes of moments Ronaldo and Gullit being extinct at 15 mill.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    low end Icons were far more attainable, since you could get them by just playing the game doing objectives, instead of doing 25 SBCs...

Fixed for you.
  • BuZuS
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    We're talking about top tier Icons
    No, we're not.
    Not even you were. You just made that up when it was pointed out to you that you're wrong.
  • SignpostSounder
    4238 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2020

Yes. I could play the game and - at best - get Prime Maradona. It only took two months of using patchwork teams to get the card, as well! Oh what fun, I got to not use the "Ultimate Team" I've been building. For the 9832th week in a row.

Whereas last year, I could grind to get Prime Gullit, get 4x100k packs, a 50k pack, 2 rare electrums, a mega pack, a rare mega pack, a jumbo premium gold players, and 2 prime gold players packs. All tradeable.

Imagine what you'd get if you were able to complete those SBCs right now, in FIFA 20. You could probably build a full TOTSSF squad and bench, or sell everything on and earn enough coins to get cracking on another icon.

Also, we had the dozens upon dozens of Humble Beginnings and Rising Talent SBCs contained within those icon SBCs that were so good for league SBCs and building up the club. And the "Iconic" sections of those SBCs, where if I did pack a duplicate icon (fat chance) or (more realistically) I had an icon that was unusable later on in the game, I could chop it in for a 100k pack.

But at least I got to use my "free" base Guardiola for about 10 games this year before he was usurped by cards that cost about 20k.
  • iamnotamaniamcantona
    1969 posts Fans' Favourite
    JohnDoe wrote: »

WTF's that all about?

This reads like a fever dream.

....??? I...mean... I can ...re write it as a wandering rhyme... and add some colourful pictures if you'd like flower?

Which bit were you having trouble with?.........was it

...the words?