• Prettyfly
    877 posts Professional
    Hopefully the beginning of the end
  • Bags
    1863 posts Play-Off Hero
    At this point only EA and politicians think it isnt
  • TW1103
    3794 posts National Call-Up
    Somewhat unrelated, but I actually spoke to my MP about loot boxes. I got a letter from him last week, saying that the matter will be discussed in Parliament in the coming weeks. Specifically "by the end of summer"
  • mypetfrog
    2290 posts Fans' Favourite
    "have you bought Fifa Points in the last 3 years? Then call 1-800-GETYOURMONEYBACK using our quick and easy Claims company"

I hope...
  • SignpostSounder
    4132 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2020
    The clown is claiming that spending $600 IN TOTAL in Madden AND FIFA since 2011 means he's addicted to buying packs and that he and his "class" are entitled to $5m in damages.

He's spent an average $30 a year on packs in each game.

Judge is going to say "So, where's this addiction you spoke of?"

Joke suits like this do nothing for the cause. If anything, they damage it.
  • Chavez76
    9291 posts League Winner
    SuperKMx wrote: »
    The clown is claiming that spending $600 IN TOTAL in Madden AND FIFA since 2011 means he's addicted to buying packs and that he and his "class" are entitled to $5m in damages.

He's spent an average $30 a year on packs in each game.

Judge is going to say "So, where's this addiction you spoke of?"

Joke suits like this do nothing for the cause. If anything, they damage it.

this... 30$ a year.. come on.
    TW1103 wrote: »
    Somewhat unrelated, but I actually spoke to my MP about loot boxes. I got a letter from him last week, saying that the matter will be discussed in Parliament in the coming weeks. Specifically "by the end of summer"

like I said before, nothing is going to change for the upcoming release mate.. System does not work that fast. Lets hope something changes for '21
  • Chogau1
    576 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Be careful what you wish for, if fifa points are banned they may need to switch to a subscription model, 4.99 a month to play fut. I never bought fifa points, so that would not be my ideal situation
  • SignpostSounder
    Chogau1 wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for, if fifa points are banned they may need to switch to a subscription model, 4.99 a month to play fut. I never bought fifa points, so that would not be my ideal situation

That would be the absolute best situation for the game. You have purchased the game, even if you didn't buy FIFA Points. I would assume that FUT would go free-to-start in a subscription scenario, or at the very least be spun off from the main game, so it wouldn't cost you any more (well, maybe a little.)

And EA would have to actually listen to players in order to keep subscription numbers up.
  • Drachenfells
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    A subscription would not be approved by FIFA which stipulates all modes are free to all who buy the game, its why EA had to make ultimate team part of the main game and not a dlc add on in the first place FIFA were "unhappy" with a dlc mode which excluded people, a subscription mode , A 18 rating literally cannot happen due to the licence
  • JPRM71
    3713 posts National Call-Up
    mypetfrog wrote: »
    "have you bought Fifa Points in the last 3 years? Then call 1-800-GETYOURMONEYBACK using our quick and easy Claims company"

I hope...

If this became a thing I could by a new car 😂
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    This particular lawsuit is a joke I am afraid.

Waste of time.
  • Destin8or
    5014 posts Big Money Move
    A subscription would not be approved by FIFA which stipulates all modes are free to all who buy the game, its why EA had to make ultimate team part of the main game and not a dlc add on in the first place FIFA were "unhappy" with a dlc mode which excluded people, a subscription mode , A 18 rating literally cannot happen due to the licence

The subscription will have to be an optional season pass I guess
  • SuperKMx wrote: »
    Chogau1 wrote: »

That would be the absolute best situation for the game. You have purchased the game, even if you didn't buy FIFA Points. I would assume that FUT would go free-to-start in a subscription scenario, or at the very least be spun off from the main game, so it wouldn't cost you any more (well, maybe a little.)

And EA would have to actually listen to players in order to keep subscription numbers up.

+1

5 a month is still 60 a year which is the price of FIFA standard edition today. It’s better and they would actually need to listen. Not ❤️❤️❤️❤️ us after the 1st patch.

These scum live off the addiction. Otherwise they cannot generate the 1.5 billion with just 2 million returning players (20 million total but most have just 1 achievement)
  • SignpostSounder
    edited August 2020
    A subscription would not be approved by FIFA which stipulates all modes are free to all who buy the game

And then EA would get out a big bag of money that is smaller than the bag they keep their profits in, and FIFA would renegotiate a deal and cave.

It might take a week, at most.

I mean, they'll sell the World Cup hosting rights for £5.50 and a holiday and a bag of Toffos. Do you think FIFA are going to say no to money?

Plus, a subscription can have a free tier that is accessible to all. In fact, I'd be surprised if it didn't.
    its why EA had to make ultimate team part of the main game and not a dlc add on in the first place FIFA were "unhappy" with a dlc mode which excluded people

"Reportedly."
  • Drachenfells
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thats a bit cynical :D:D:D , but seriously if Blatter was still in charge I would agree with you, but they have pledged to be more transparent and fan friendly, although it would be the first real test of it, I don't think they would be able to withstand the bad press saying FIFA was still for sale as dodgy finances (bribes) were what brought down Blatter and Platine, If the new guard is the same as the old guard then the bad press could destroy them as well, do the new top Blokes want the hassle of a no confidence vote which they will certainly lose and then we get a "New" new guard, I think FIFA will stick to there guns here for that reason, After Qatar is all over and out of the headlines (its going to be equated with corruption all while its on by the press) then I think renegotiation may well happen.

Sorry that was a bit long.
  • Jpo41
    1825 posts Play-Off Hero

California has outlined its definition of an illegal gambling device as "a machine, aperture or device; something of value is given to play; and the player may receive something of value by element of chance."

It will be interesting to see EA's defense of this versus California law.
  • Ballerson
    1226 posts Professional
    Who knows...Eas game is not a remote simulation — don't know why we and I even bother to discuss rl comparisons as Eas not trying to create a great simulation, rather the games a profit generator — like cigarettes were simply an optimized nicotine delivery to generate profit for Big Tobacco —- this game is a delivery mechanism that resembles some aspects of football — enough to let us get a taste of football — but really, its not designed to optimize a players football experience — its optimized to make $$ —

• Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    Thats a bit cynical :D:D:D , but seriously if Blatter was still in charge I would agree with you, but they have pledged to be more transparent and fan friendly, although it would be the first real test of it, I don't think they would be able to withstand the bad press saying FIFA was still for sale as dodgy finances (bribes) were what brought down Blatter and Platine, If the new guard is the same as the old guard then the bad press could destroy them as well, do the new top Blokes want the hassle of a no confidence vote which they will certainly lose and then we get a "New" new guard, I think FIFA will stick to there guns here for that reason, After Qatar is all over and out of the headlines (its going to be equated with corruption all while its on by the press) then I think renegotiation may well happen.

Sorry that was a bit long.

With respect, Infantino is just as bad as Blatter... perhaps even worse.
  • Drachenfells
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yes but he has enemies on the board and does he want to give them a reason to oust him, he is aware his position is not guaranteed as I don't think he would survive a vote of no confidence and so I think he will try very hard not to give them a reason to try and force one.
  • tzinc
    3246 posts National Call-Up
    as soon as lootboxes are gone they will have to improve the ACTUAL GAMEPLAY
  • tzinc wrote: »
    as soon as lootboxes are gone they will have to improve the ACTUAL GAMEPLAY

Look at FIFA 21 promotions - all about fluff, pack openings, stadiums, celebrations, chaining skill moves.

FIFA 20 they had manual defending - biggest rip off.

They can get away with this because people are addicted. I don’t understand who in the right mind would spend money on FIFA points.
  • Here’s an interesting comparison on EA revenue that is addiction based

EA FIFA (loot boxes - unlimited spend)
    Players: 20 million
    Returning players: 2 million
    Revenue: 1.5 billion

Fortnite (battle pass - $5 per month approx)
    Players: 250 million
    Returning players: ?
    Revenue: 1.5 Billion

As you can see, EA know the only way they can earn this cash with less players and poor gameplay is addiction and license monopolizing tactics.
  • tzinc
    if they loose lootboxes and addiction profits EA will make millions instead of billions - at that point their programmers will have to focus on improving the game and not creating sizzle for FUT and working on all the stuff to get people buying coins ... millions of players spending billions of dollars - most players don't have the time to grind ... most players who can grind do buy at the beginning to build up their ability to grind ... and then worst of all all the addicts
  • Knowlesdinho
    14945 posts World Class
    tzinc wrote: »
    if they loose lootboxes and addiction profits EA will make millions instead of billions - at that point their programmers will have to focus on improving the game and not creating sizzle for FUT and working on all the stuff to get people buying coins ... millions of players spending billions of dollars - most players don't have the time to grind ... most players who can grind do buy at the beginning to build up their ability to grind ... and then worst of all all the addicts

You know that you can play normal online divisions right? Which is essentially what you keep asking for.
  • SignpostSounder
    edited August 2020

They won't "lose" lootboxes. They'll lose directly paid-for lootboxes.

They could make FUT free-to-play which would satisfy FIFA's licensing, then have a £4.99 standard subscription per month, a £9.99 premium subscription per month, and a £19.99 ultimate subscription per month.

I'd bet we'd see tournaments make a return. Tier-specific amounts of weekly tournament entry tickets, anyone? Special "Ultimate Only" challenges and SBCs? "Ultimate level subscribers get twice the rewards in Division Rivals and FUT Champions so subscribe now!" Don't forget to represent your club in your exclusive Ultimate Subscriber kit! And...yes...oh look..."free" packs and player picks, with the quality and amount being determined by your subscription level.

And because you ain't paying for the packs directly - they're a "subscription gift" - you aren't paying to spin the wheel, so that just makes it all super-PG and safe.

They'd probably end up making more money than they do now.

If you think millions upon millions wouldn't go for it, mebbe check and see how many people are spending FIFA Points on 7.5k packs right now because the chance of packing a 90+ rated card went up by 0.05%.

And look how many people are DEFINITELY not buying FIFA 21 because they have decided already that it'll be rubbish, but who will quite clearly somehow be posting multiple rants about the gameplay during early access.
  • tzinc
    [/quote]

You know that you can play normal online divisions right? Which is essentially what you keep asking for. [/quote]

you cannot build a team via cards
    you do not get icons
    you do not get special cards tots
    you do not get to pick things like chemistry uniforms stadia
    you cannot build a team

you can't do this in online divisions nor career I would love for them to create another fut style game so we could get all the fut stuff w/o having to pay for anything or grind for 1000s of hours
  • SignpostSounder
    edited August 2020

You know that you can play normal online divisions right? Which is essentially what you keep asking for.

you do not get icons
    you cannot build a team

you can't do this in online divisions nor career I would love for them to create another fut style game so we could get all the fut stuff w/o having to pay for anything or grind for 1000s of hours

So you want them to make FUT, but have access to everything right away?

That'd be sweet. Everybody rolling with their full team of icons in week one and then not changing any of them until TOTS drops. Great fun.
  • Boommaametw3
    3953 posts National Call-Up

They won't "lose" lootboxes. They'll lose directly paid-for lootboxes.

They could make FUT free-to-play which would satisfy FIFA's licensing, then have a £4.99 standard subscription per month, a £9.99 premium subscription per month, and a £19.99 ultimate subscription per month.

I'd bet we'd see tournaments make a return. Tier-specific amounts of weekly tournament entry tickets, anyone? Special "Ultimate Only" challenges and SBCs? "Ultimate level subscribers get twice the rewards in Division Rivals and FUT Champions so subscribe now!" Don't forget to represent your club in your exclusive Ultimate Subscriber kit! And...yes...oh look..."free" packs and player picks, with the quality and amount being determined by your subscription level.

And because you ain't paying for the packs directly - they're a "subscription gift" - you aren't paying to spin the wheel, so that just makes it all super-PG and safe.

They'd probably end up making more money than they do now.

If you think millions upon millions wouldn't go for it, mebbe check and see how many people are spending FIFA Points on 7.5k packs right now because the chance of packing a 90+ rated card went up by 0.05%.

And look how many people are DEFINITELY not buying FIFA 21 because they have decided already that it'll be rubbish, but who will quite clearly somehow be posting multiple rants about the gameplay during early access.

Fifa is a terrible game, they won't make money that way. More players play fortnite,Apex and co than people play fut plus if fifa is free then they can't sell us the game $80 every year.
    Plus let's not kid ourselves, fifa is straight up pay 2 win. Our rewards no matter how much you play isn't contributing much to our teams. It's either you spend hours trading/grind menus or spend lots of fifapoints.
    A $20 monthly subscription won't cut it even a quarter what of the current system is bringing. People even pay $20 a month to top 100 traders on twitter for trading tips thats shows you how expensive buying packs is.
  • Knowlesdinho
    14945 posts World Class
    edited August 2020

You really don't see what you write do you? These are literally all the things that you complain about... the "addiction" that you relentlessly moan about is synonymous with those things. You want rid of lootboxes, so you want rid of those things!

How do you think fut will stay the same without lootboxes? Simple answer, it won't.

So, online seasons it is mate!
  • Chavez76
    9291 posts League Winner

you do not get icons
    you cannot build a team

So you want them to make FUT, but have access to everything right away?

That'd be sweet. Everybody rolling with their full team of icons in week one and then not changing any of them until TOTS drops. Great fun.

that would in fact be the last fifa I'd ever buy. The fun thing (at least for me) is building the team up from scratch, which IMO is the way UT is setup for. There would litteraly be no point at all to play WL or anything.

a game mode like would be dead even before it started (as, what @SuperKMx is saying, its just a juiced up online season mode).