A Dream Realised :|: Oscar Hayes :|: Burton Albion

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    An injection of youthful enthusiasm can be a boost in the locker room. Hopefully Gelhardt is more than just an average Joe. :o
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    An injection of youthful enthusiasm can be a boost in the locker room. Hopefully Gelhardt is more than just an average Joe. :o

I sure hope so! I was nervous to sell Akins because hes 5 OVR more than Gelhardt (Akins was 67 and Gelhardt is 62...but he went up to a 63 over night B) ) and Akins' physical stats were also better. I think it'll take him time to get going, but the good thing is he will be constantly improving.
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    KHZJSmM.png
  • Richoman
    130 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    nice signings! spurs wont have a youth academy after you are through with them :D

just remember the old saying, you cant win anything with kids ;)
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Richoman wrote: »
    nice signings! spurs wont have a youth academy after you are through with them :D

just remember the old saying, you cant win anything with kids ;)

That's the aim! It just so happens Spurs have a fair few young, cheap and low overall players. And I intend to buy about 6 more of them o:)

That's what people say (I say people...) but fortunately we've got a bunch of pensioners in the squad too.
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Sky Bet League One - Matchday 1 - vs. Ipswich Town (H)
    SfLJYjW.png
    Match Stats
    ivi9PZj.png

Match Report
    It was a lovely August afternoon as Burton Albion hosted Ipswich Town in both teams’ opening game of the Sky Bet League One campaign. The home team had been under the microscope in recent weeks, with both a takeover and a new manager being some of the big new arrivals for the Midlands side. Oscar Hayes’ appointment by new owner and good friend William Fathers had shrouded the new manager in controversy from the off.

But there was nothing to be worried about as Burton started off the much brighter of the two sides, looking very comfortable in possession and passing the ball from full back to full back via midfielder Stephen Quinn. The hosts mustered up several good attacking moves, but the ball couldn't find a way towards Ipswich 'keeper Will Norris' goal, with good tackling preventing debutant Joseph Gelhardt from getting a shot away.

There was a succession of corners for Burton around the 20 minute mark, with senior centreback Jake Buxton seeing two headers take deflections and his third header well saved by Norris. The opening goal was coming for Burton and in the 33rd minute it came. Stephen Quinn exchanged a neat couple of passes with Gelhardt, with the defensive midfielder slotting a cool right footed finish past Norris. 1-0 Burton.

Ipswich, who are one of the favourites to go up this season, failed to get going after the goal and struggled to find an answer to left winger Jamie Murphy, the attacker getting the better of his opposite number on numerous occasions, but Scott Fraser, Gelhardt and Ryan Edwards failed to capitalise on the winger's good play.

Half Time - Burton 1-0 Ipswich

The second half begun in much the same way the first half did, with the home side dictating play and looking good in all areas of the pitch. It didn't take long for Burton to double their lead, with Murphy finally being rewarded for his wide play, with an accurate cut back being converted by pre-season favourite Fraser from six yards in the 53rd minute. 2-0 Burton.

The game quietened down after the second goal, with Burton happy to let Ipswich play the ball around the back and then pouncing when it came into the final third. Hayes made the first substitutions of his very young Burton career, bringing on ex-Spurs new boy Jamie Bowden for Scott Fraser and bringing on Nathan Broadhead for Jamie Murphy in the 77th minute.

It was this double change that seemed to give the Tractor Boys a new lease of life, perhaps buoyed by the exit of two players who had been a constant headache since the first minute of play. Ipswich found a new confidence and looked dangerous in possession, mustering up a quick series of attacks that was eventually halted by a rash challenge by Bowden.

The ball was looped into the Burton box and a scuffed header from Buxton and a miss-hit from Reece Hutchinson saw his clearance ricochet off Charlie Daniel and landed at the feet of Cole Skuse who dispatched the ball into the back of the net, with only 8 minutes left of normal time. 2-1 Burton.

Ipswich's momentum grew and Kane Vincent-Young sent a dangerous ball into the box in the 93rd minute, where a brilliant last ditch tackle by Buxton denied Skuse a second and Ipswich an equaliser. The players and fans were thrilled to hear the final whistle.

Man of the Match: Scott Fraser (9.3)

Burton Albion 2-1 Ipswich Town
    Post Match Interviews
    Burton Albion manager, Oscar Hayes

"It's fantastic to get that first win of the season. I thought the boys were fantastic and we were deserving of the three points and a clean sheet. We looked great in possession, we looked confident and we looked dangerous everytime we went forward. On another day, we clear the freekick that led to their goal and we come away with a deserved 2-0 win and a clean sheet for the team, but that's football things like that can happen and next time we have to deal with it better."

Ipswich Town manager, Paul Lambert

"I think we showed some real quality for the last half an hour of the game. We challenged Burton, I think we could've scored one or two more, definitely. We took a while to get going admittedly, but we dealt well with Burton's strategy of just crossing it into the box and hoping they'd find a yellow shirt. We'll go back to the drawing board after this one, watch the game back and we'll go from there."
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Sky Bet League One - Matchday 2 - vs. Gillingham (A) 10/08/19 - 3:00PM
    6aPUQkh.png
    Match Stats
    Guess which idiot forgot to write down the stats :D

Carabao Cup - Round 1 - vs. AFC Wimbledon (A) 13/08/19 - 8:00PM
    rFAr7Wg.png
    Match Stats
    WYQ52ob.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 3 - vs. Rotherham United (H) 17/08/19 - 3:00PM
    NXr4Xde.png
    Match Stats
    ETZCwwp.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 4 - vs. Oxford United (A) 20/08/19 - 7:45PM
    wZGqSmK.png
    Match Stats
    PO5TNXJ.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 5 - vs. Shrewsbury Town (A) 24/08/19 - 3:00PM
    BGheFMs.png
    Match Stats
    jxTWHFq.png

The Gaffer's Diary
    Well, to put it lightly, what a bloody brilliant month so far. We've won 3 out of 4 games in the league, we've advanced to round 2 of the Carabao Cup (where we'll play Championship side Wigan! Gelhardt gets a reunion already) and we currently sit in the top 4 of the table.

We've scored 7 goals in the league and conceded 3 and the good thing is they came in 2 games. The defence looks a bit better than it did in Italy, but I suppose that's natural with the boys getting used to the system and playing regularly with each other.

The Wimbledon and Oxford games were probably the most disappointing ones, and I can tell that Oxford are going to be mounting a playoff push. They've been the best side we've played, tactically they were on the ball (much to our frustration) and especially defensively where we could not break them down, besides the goal. The next time we play them will be interesting.

We got into a bad habit of conceding early towards the end of those games (vs. Oxford and Shrewsbury) and it was a result of the defence not being up to the pace of the game. I could single out individuals but the whole back line has looked disjointed, with Daniel and Brayford perhaps being the worst offenders. Thankfully, Richard Nartey is coming along very well with his development, so I'm looking forward to when he's ready to start.

We've got some tough fixtures coming up, both in cups and the league. Next in the league, we've got Bristol Rovers (who are a couple of places below us) and that's then followed by a trip to Sunderland, who haven't lost or drawn yet.

In the 2nd round of the Carabao Cup, we've drawn Wigan and our round 1 game in the Leasing.com Trophy sees us host Accrington Stanley.

Hopefully, we'll have a new centre back in the coming days.

-Oscar
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good run of matches for Oscar. Burton Albion control possession and tend to out shoot and pass their opponents. The loss against Oxford, I imagine, was the result of a penalty from the red card? They'll probably be your rival in league to keep the lads on their toes. We'll have to wait and see if a new center back fixes the late game defensive issues. All in all, Oscar has proved himself thus far.
  • Richoman
    great solid start to the season! that loss was probably just due to the red card, so probably wont worry too much about that, guess that happens from time to time, from the looks of things Burton will be up there in the league!

Were you sweating bullets during the PK shootout haha it looked damn close!
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Good run of matches for Oscar. Burton Albion control possession and tend to out shoot and pass their opponents. The loss against Oxford, I imagine, was the result of a penalty from the red card? They'll probably be your rival in league to keep the lads on their toes. We'll have to wait and see if a new center back fixes the late game defensive issues. All in all, Oscar has proved himself thus far.

Thank you. Looking back at the stats I was surprised to see us regularly getting over 55% possession. The shots wasn't as surprising, I always see my midfielders storming forward so I've got about 6 attackers at any one time, which isn't great to see when the other team goes on a counter :cold_sweat: The red card came from a very reckless tackle (don't know which idiot decided to do it...) about 10 yards in our half, failed to deal with the freekick and they scored. Never looked like getting back into it.
    great solid start to the season! that loss was probably just due to the red card, so probably wont worry too much about that, guess that happens from time to time, from the looks of things Burton will be up there in the league!

Were you sweating bullets during the PK shootout haha it looked damn close!

Thank you as well. Red card definitely affected the game, I love using my full backs in possession so having to bring on a worser full back was the final nail in the coffin, really. I was never worried about penalties ( :sweat_smile: ), it just so happened Wimbledon were somehow worse than us at them. I'll take it though.
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Carabao Cup - Round 2 - vs. Wigan Athetlic (H) 28/08/19 - 7:45PM
    OQJU61H.png
    Match Stats
    Jh4pJg5.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 6 - vs. Bristol Rovers (H) 31/08/19 - 3:00PM
    0gyTz6Z.png

Chapter 4
    Bill had been twirling that bloody pen round his fingers for what felt like a lifetime. I was tapping my foot constantly too, glancing at my watch every couple of minutes. Transfer deadline day was here and we were desperate to get a few deals over the line. Two boys from Brentford, one boy from Middlesbrough and we were trying to offload Ben Fox abroad.

We had an offer from a Romanian club, FC Voluntari. We’d called Ben earlier in the day, laid out his options and encouraged him to crack on with contract talks. I couldn’t see him being a regular starter this year and I had signed Jamie Bowden to play the same position as Ben. I had liked what I’d seen from Jamie already, so selling Ben was necessary to drive up funds for our other targets. We’d agreed on £450,000 for Ben, which I thought was a great deal.

We were operating on a profit, so we had the wiggle room to sign more players than we were selling, which was important as the squad was looking depleted. The early signs were good, Brentford and Boro were playing ball with Bill and the signings were looking likely. We had about four hours before the window shut, so things were ticking along nicely.

The phone on Bill’s desk began to rang and his pen wielding hand snapped forward and grabbed the phone,

“Evening, Bill Fathers speaking,” Bill went quiet as the person on the other head of the phone took control of the conversation. It involved a lot of nodding, yesses, before Bill gave me a big grin and the thumbs up. Fantastic, I thought. Someone was willing to sell, “That’s cracking. Yeah, alright mate. All the best for the season, bye.”

“Who was that?” I asked,

“Middlesbrough, they’re selling us Nathan Wood. You’re getting the centre back you wanted.” I clapped my hands together,

“Get in,” I desperately needed a new centre back as John Brayford and Jake Buxton weren’t getting any younger. I liked what Richard Nartey was showing us and I looked at Wood as a future partner for him. They were the future, “Now we just need Brentford to get back to us.” Bill nodded and pressed a couple buttons on the phone’s main keypad and put his ear to the speaker.

“We’re going to have Nathan down here in an hour or two, Janine. Could you get Rich to sort the contract out?” Bill paused while Janine, the club secretary, responded, “Brill, thank you, Janine.” That was that, then.

Two hours later.

“Yep, just a one-year loan. 50/50 on the wages, yeah?” Brentford were playing hard ball with Bill. He was growing more and more impatient with whoever he was on the phone with. He had uttered a few choice words under his breath and had almost screamed at the sky, “70/30? You’re having a laugh,” I had to hold back a laugh of my own, “60/40, mate and we’ll leave it at that,” Another pause, “Alright, Christ, 65/30. Done, deal, let’s go with that. Alright, cheers pal, bye,” Bill hung up, “Clueless f****r. Right, Marcus Forss the striker is yours, Osc. Jan Zamburek, that attacking midfielder, is on the way.” I grinned at Bill and nodded by thanks,

“Cheers, mate. Think that’s us done for the night.”

“I should f****ng hope so! Can’t be dealing with that s***e any more,” Bill let out a long sigh and began switching off his computer, “You happy with the business done, Oscar?”

“Oh, absolutely. Didn’t anticipate doing this much business in the transfer window. Thank you for everything you did, Bill.” Bill waved away my thanks with an outstretched hand,

“Nah, ain’t a problem. You’ve just got to go and win us something now,” he laughed loudly, “Preferably the league, but I wouldn’t mind a nice cup run.” I scoffed and shook my head,

“You’ll get what you’re bloody given. One game at a time, Bill.” Bill smiled at me,

“One game at a time.”
    Transfer Business - End of the Summer Transfer Window

Ins:

Jamie Bowden (Tottenham Hotspur) - £350,000
    Joseph Gelhardt (Wigan Athletic) - £580,000
    J'Neil Bennett (Tottenham Hotspur) - £200,000
    Nathan Wood (Middlesbrough) - £390,000
    Jan Zamburek (Brentford) - £450,000
    Marcus Forss (Brentford) - One-year loan

Total: £1,910,000

Outs:
    Chris Beardsley (Crewe Alexandria) - £60,000
    Callum Hawkins (Derry City) - One-year loan
    Lucas Akins (Pachuca) - £900,000
    Ben Fox (FC Voluntari) - £450,000

Total: £1,410,000
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    Whew! Lots of wheeling and dealing; Bill must be f***ing exhausted. :D Already a bright start for Oscar and the new signings should solidify his roster. Nice win over Wigan btw, they looked like they were insanely hard to break down (93% passing with 56% possession).
  • Richoman
    good stuff in the cup! hopefully you get far in it like i did! we seem to be having good luck in regards to pens heheh, do you have a technique for them?
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Whew! Lots of wheeling and dealing; Bill must be f***ing exhausted. :D Already a bright start for Oscar and the new signings should solidify his roster. Nice win over Wigan btw, they looked like they were insanely hard to break down (93% passing with 56% possession).

Bill slept incredibly soundly later that night and refused to turn his phone on for days after. Bless him, he's earned the rest. Wigan game was a real eye opener to the gulf in quality between League 1 and the Championship. Defensively, we couldn't break them down and we never looked like scoring (hence the 1 shot on target, which is uncharacteristically low for us). Fortunately, for all their possession, they didn't really threaten us either.
    good stuff in the cup! hopefully you get far in it like i did! we seem to be having good luck in regards to pens heheh, do you have a technique for them?

Ha, I wish I did. I think I've saved 2 penalties in the 2 shootouts so far, Wimbledon and Wigan both missed a couple completely. Still, I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Richoman
    JoGR02 wrote: »

Bill slept incredibly soundly later that night and refused to turn his phone on for days after. Bless him, he's earned the rest. Wigan game was a real eye opener to the gulf in quality between League 1 and the Championship. Defensively, we couldn't break them down and we never looked like scoring (hence the 1 shot on target, which is uncharacteristically low for us). Fortunately, for all their possession, they didn't really threaten us either.

Ha, I wish I did. I think I've saved 2 penalties in the 2 shootouts so far, Wimbledon and Wigan both missed a couple completely. Still, I'd rather be lucky than good.

ahh i see, interesting, with pen shootouts i always had this gut feel that if the opp powers it between 1 and 2 bars they will always shoot away from their body, so if he is right footed he will shoot to his right side. If its over 2 bars they will do shoot to the left (if he is right footed) below 1 bar it will be down the middle. Thats my superstition anyways !
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Leasing.com Trophy - Round 1 - vs. Accrington Stanley (A) 03/09/19 - 7:45PM
    J13deqA.png
    Match Stats
    APIRSb0.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 7 - vs. Sunderland (A) 07/09/19 - 3:00PM
    xsS7P4c.png
    Match Stats
    miu24WL.png

Match Report
    It was a very early 1st vs 2nd clash in the Sky Bet League One, as table topping Sunderland welcomed a rejuvenated Burton Albion to the Stadium of Light. Both clubs had been under scrutiny since the start of the season, with off field matters such as new ownership and managerial changes dominating the headlines. Burton new boy Joseph Gelhardt had scored 3 times in his last 6 league appearances and was looking to add to his tally today. Sunderland had only conceded 2 goals in their first 6 games and had the best defensive record in the league. Deadline day signings Marcus Forss and Jan Zamburek were on the bench after a hammering of Accrington Stanley.

Sunderland started the game brightly, with Chris Maguire looking to impose himself early on the right hand side of midfield. He sought to start an early connection with target man Charlie Wyke, but the striker was unable to bring the ball under his spell. Burton's defence held out and dealt with the Maguire-Wyke connection. It was the Brewers' time to attack with Oliver Sarkic and Jame Murphy giving Luke O'Nien and Denver Hume plenty of problems.

The breakthrough was made in the 27th minute, Murphy passing the ball to an on rushing Ryan Edwards, who slotted the ball through to Gelhardt for a well taken finish. 1-0 Burton. But Burton weren't done there, as almost straight from kick off the ball was won back by Scott Fraser. Burton progressed the ball forward well and this time it was Stephen Quinn's turn to find Gelhardt six yards out from goal to double their lead. 2-0 Burton. Sunderland were reeling and couldn't gather any momentum going forward.

Burton were full of energy and looking dangerous and would add a third just before half time. Sarkic got the better of Hume yet again and drilled a ball across the box for Murphy to tap it home. 3-0 Burton. Sunderland were desperate for half time to come and much to their relief, it did.

Half Time: Sunderland 0-3 Burton

The second half started much calmer than how the first half ended, with Burton enjoying an early spell of possession. There seemed to be less urgency in Burton's play, happy to play at a slower pace and control their 3-0 lead. There were some nice attacking moves created by Murphy, but there was no one on hand in the box to convert.

Sunderland looked a bit more comfortable in possession, but there was zero attacking threat being shown. The game was sleepwalking to conclusion, with both teams passing the ball in the midfield. Burton got the ball and launched one more attack, with a simple shot being spilled by goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin which left a grateful Edwards with a very easy finish to make it 4 in the 79th minute. 4-0 Burton. The game crept its way to full time and the final whistle was blown, to a chorus of boos from the home fans.

Man of the Match: Ryan Edwards 9.4

Full Time: Sunderland 0-4 Burton
    Post Match Interviews
    Sunderland manager Jack Ross:

"It's obviously a very, very disappointing result. The first half was, quite frankly, a disgrace. We started off well for 20 minutes, couldn't find a goal and then we looked worse than second best for the rest. This will act as the kick up the backside we might need, we simply cannot play like that again. Second half, thought we were better, kept the ball well and moved it around, our play in the final third was seriously lacking. We'll go back to the drawing board and go from there."

Burton Albion manager Oscar Hayes:

"That's been our most complete performance all season against a very good side. There's a reason Sunderland are considered favourites and will be near the top of the table come the end of the season. Going forward we looked deadly, we looked strong at the back when they attacked. Coming off the back of the game at Accrington, I was excited to see how we'd respond in the league against, with all respect to Accrington, a better team. We're eagerly looking forward to our next game now."
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    Feel sorry for Sunderland, having fallen so far, so fast. And now a beat down from an upstart manager in Oscar Hayes. :)
  • Richoman
    jesus some big wins :O who is this Forss guy, big 4 goals from him , pushing for a starting XI spot more regularly there
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Feel sorry for Sunderland, having fallen so far, so fast. And now a beat down from an upstart manager in Oscar Hayes. :)

Sod 'em, I was overjoyed to thrash them. Everything and I mean everything clicked in this game. The last few games (ignoring Accrington) we'd only won narrowly by a goal, so I knew a game like this was coming when everything fell into place. Sunderland were awful, which helped, couldn't believe they were so bad.
    jesus some big wins :O who is this Forss guy, big 4 goals from him , pushing for a starting XI spot more regularly there

Finally some big wins! I saw him late on transfer deadline day as someone my scouts had recommended, he was half scouted already so I thought why not, we needed a back up striker and I didn't want to splash out on someone I hadn't properly scouted. Put him in and suddenly he scores four. I was shocked. Two goals came from mistakes or rebounds, though, but he finished them with ease.
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Sky Beat League One - Matchday 8 - vs. Coventry City (H) 14/09/19 - 3:00PM
    qnwkXxx.png
    Match Stats
    ciZmYu8.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 9 - vs. Portsmouth (A) 17/09/19 - 7:45PM
    Ry0e7s9.png
    Match Stats
    BKFcrV5.png

Sky Bet League One - Matchday 10 - vs. Tranmere Rovers (A) 21/09/19 - 3:00PM
    DHk1K3p.png
    Match Stats
    35Wqb30.png

The Gaffer's Diary
    Goal machines, we are. Bloody great big goal machines. 12 goals in 3 games is ridiculous. Gelhardt scored in every game, picking up 4 goals in 3 games. Scotty Frase and Edwards were also remarkably impressive, Fraser scoring twice and Edwards getting 3 himself, all while getting 3 assists between them both. Edwards is really stepping up and Fraser has banished the opening season demons he had where he wasn't really playing as well as he could.

Two clean sheets was a very welcomed bonus. We looked very solid against Coventry, despite not having most of the ball and the one goal against Pompey was a scrappy goal coming from an error. It would be nice to be done with defensive mistakes 10 games into the league season, but it seems to pop up every now and then. Annoying, but it happens to every side in the division. Richard Nartey, since coming into the starting XI, has helped solidify the defence. I think he's benefitting from working beside a very experienced centre back in Buxton.

Our new signings have started very, very well. Nathan Wood has featured a couple of times and for someone of his age he reads the game very well. He's made a few memorable blocks and tackles, aided by his defensive positioning. Very impressed with him so far. Jan Zamburek has made multiple appearances off the bench (as has Bowden) and has looked energetic and eager to play attacking football. That's a quality I really like in Fraser and Edwards, so I'm pleased to see Zamburek with the same mentality.

Jamie Bowden is an interesting one. With him, you can tell he's inexperienced in this specific level of the game. He's not built for a physical battle, understandably, and isn't used to being closed down so quickly. He's got good pass accuracy, but he seems to be very easy to dispossess. He needs to learn how to use his body as a shield between the opponent and the ball. But, so far, he's mostly done okay.

Marcus Forss is a very, very, deadly striker. The game against Accrington is testament to that. Any sniff of a chance, he scored. I think he only missed one shot and that was saved. If we ever need a goal off the bench, he's our ticket to getting it. If Gelhardt wasn't performing as well as he was, then Forss may have stormed into the starting XI.

J'Neil Bennett hasn't seen as much football as he'd have liked, given how well Jamie Murphy has been playing recently, but I'm slowly getting him more minutes. In cup games, he's our nailed on starter and his pace makes a very clear difference against tired legs. He has no problems skipping past players at will, but sometimes struggles to find his man. That'll come in time, I'm glad he gets into those sort of positions. We can work on the final ball.

-Oscar
  • Richoman
    destroying the league! the brewers look good imo, would love to see them tested against teams in the higher leagues as i reckon League 2 should be yours atm. And my man Forss, glad to see he is continuing to do well for you. Its a good problem to have, 2 great strikers but only one spot, i reckon if one starts to taper in form you can put the other in its place instantly
    keep it going man!