A Long Road with Macclesfield Town | Season 1

Comments

• Richoman
    130 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited August 21
    Macclesfield's Fairytale Run is COMPLETE Defeating Manchester City in the Carabao Cup Final!

sJncu5R.png
    Macclesfield Crowned Carabao Cup Champions

Q7oVCXH.png
    Captain Jak Mccourt lifts the trophy in front of the Macclesfield Town Fans

The fairy tale is complete. Many are still in disbelief as Macclesfield Town beat EPL league leaders Manchester City in the Carabao Cup after the final went to penalties. Penalty shootouts have become something of a specialty for Macclesfield with the team beating Leicester, Liverpool and now Manchester City in penalty shootouts. They are the lowest ranked team in history to have won the Carabao Cup and in doing so have also booked a spot in the Europa League for next season.

The match was full of drama with momentum swings galore which we have been accustomed to with Macclesfield Town games against EPL teams this season. Manchester City came into this game with experts expecting them to burst the bubble of giant killers Macclesfield Town. They were undefeated all season. The match started off following the expected script with CB Nemanja Mitrovic giving away a penalty within 5 minutes of the match. However, surprisingly Augero put the penalty kick wide.

Manchester City however, didn't let that phase them dominating the game for the next 20 minutes and finally scoring a goal from an amazing effort from De Bruyne from outside the box. But as we have seen in previous games Macclesfield Town is just a team that never says die and their fight during this whole tournament has been admirable. Instead of letting the first goal phase them they took the fight to Manchester City, dominating play having multiple chances to level the scores until finally in the 56th minute pacey winger Alex Kiwomya received the ball from a deadly counter attack, dribbled almost half the length of the pitch and coolly put the ball past Ederson.

During the entire match Macclesfield's pace on the counter as well as in their passing moves in general play looked to trouble City. Macclesfield didn't stop there, capitalizing on their control of the match by putting another one past Ederson in the 80th minute courtesy of some wonderful build up play and a smooth finish from Lee Gwang Hyeok.

The fairytale looked to be complete there and then however, Macclesfield putting players deep to defend the lead appeared to clam up and unbelievably substitute Karim Benzema broke their hearts with an equalizer in the 86th minute. Macclesfield tried valiantly to restore their lead via some good efforts at goal but to no avail with the match going to penalties.

ORQEwkG.png
    Lee Gwang Hyeok Putting Macclesfield in Front

There was more drama in the penalty shootout as well with Macclesfield having their first penalty saved. However, they regained the lead in the shootout following 2 wonderful stops from their GK Sveinn Aron Vilhjalmsson. They then had a chance to seal victory through Kiwomya however his effort was saved also. Thankfully they had another chance to get snatch victory and it was CB Ari Friojonsson who sealed Manchester City's fate. Macclesfield's manager was highly emotional after the match declaring it as "the best day of his life". Whilst, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola congratulated Macclesfield saying they "deserved to win the match". However, he was critical of his team saying that "this is a wake up call for the rest of our season, it is one of my toughest losses in my entire career". Macclesfield Town's win will go down in the history books as one of the if not THE greatest triumph of the lowest of underdogs and gives hope to other teams below the Premier League of one day snatching glory and being giant killers of their own.

bNxRHVl.png
    Ari Friojonsson celebrating with teammates after scoring the winning penalty

• Richoman
    edited August 21
    Results as of 14/03/2020

1jxsIXQ.png

dHGVbto.png

OGFrngy.png

cnP6gJG.png

QvEwZAW.png

QE4kBAM.png

vEbyIiG.png

XXzMSLq.png

69tThVC.png

Manager’s View

An incredible run of results, I am absolutely speechless at the drama that has unfolded during this period.Here is a summary of what happened during this period: We had tons of draws (including the penalty shootouts), won 3 penalty shootouts making it 5 penalty shootouts won this season, beat Manchester City twice,won the Carabao cup, won a quarter final, haven't won a game within 90 minutes in almost a month and for a while didn’t play at home for a month also.

First of all we accomplished history winning the Carabao Cup against a very strong Manchester City side. Going into the game I decided to play Alex Kiwomya again ahead of Ben Stephens due to not only his ability to break the lines but he has appeared to gain confidence after playing him against Liverpool and his form has been wonderful during this time. The game was a rollercoaster of emotions. It would have been great for the match not to go to penalties but I am grateful for the result.

The drama did not stop there, ditto the penalty shootouts. 3 days after the final we were required to play away against Tottenham in the FA Cup and this time we really appeared like we would lose. They scored the first 2 goals and we looked tired after the final. But Alexander Tonev was playing like a man possessed and kept us in the match scoring just before half time and straight after they scored their 3rd goal and another to complete his hattrick. Funnily enough we appeared to gain more energy after their 2nd goal and could of nicked the match without penalties. The penalties were again filled with drama with our keeper Sveinn Aron Vilhjalmsson saving 2 penalties including the deciding one.

Just when I thought squeaky bum time would end for the time being it only escalated! We played Manchester City at home in the FA Cup Quarter final. The opening 10 minutes they played like they wanted revenge BAD controlling almost ALL of the possession and scoring from outside the box with Tolisso. However after the goal we shortly equalized with pretty much our first attack and an own goal from Cancelo. This efficiency appeared to be the theme of the match. They attempted to attack all out at us however, we absorbed their attacks and counter-attacked with damaging efficiency scoring the next 2 goals to go up 3-1. For a moment I thought the game was won if we kept this score til half time. But no, they upped their game attacked our box constantly and finally scoring to make it 3-2 before half time.

After half time they completely dominated the match, we were under the pump and couldn’t get the ball off them, I though that the tiredness of playing so many tough games has got to us. They scored to level the scores. And after that goal we somehow found a second wind, finally retaining possession and winning a penalty in the 80th minute and scoring. I thought for sure we won it now. But NO they scored in the last minute through another sustained attack and it was extra time.Surprisingly we controlled extra time (but also unsurprisingly considering the see-sawing momentum in our clashes against EPL sides) but they scored early via another shot from outside the box. This time it felt like the end but out of nowhere we conjured a great passing chain and our captain Jak Mccourt scored an incredible goal into the top corner from the edge of the box. An on we go into penalties AGAIN. We went behind 1-0 and missed our first 2 penalties. However, they missed their next two as well and we scored our next 2, took the lead and our keeper again produced an incredible save to seal us the victory.

Overall it felt like I aged 10 years during this period. I wished our defending was much better against those EPL teams and this is something we must work on in the future as they passed around us at times too easily. But I'll take the results and I can't complain about our fight and wonderful spirit. Amazing character within the team. Football, bloody hell.

League Table

rlSzJoQ.png

Player Stats and Team Stats

HSlfNeg.png

lKrrSDq.png

Zv90xj0.png
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    Some incredible results for Macclesfield without any players with 70+ OVR if I read that right. Would be something to see if a League 2 club won the League or FA Cup in real life. I'm sure a Championship club must have done it or come close. After that hectic run of games, the team should be able to coast from here on out. I cannot fathom the team not gaining automatic promotion at this point.
  • Richoman
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Some incredible results for Macclesfield without any players with 70+ OVR if I read that right. Would be something to see if a League 2 club won the League or FA Cup in real life. I'm sure a Championship club must have done it or come close. After that hectic run of games, the team should be able to coast from here on out. I cannot fathom the team not gaining automatic promotion at this point.

Thanks mate! yeah i do have one and its Lee Gwang Hyeok haha he grew by 2 overall points during the season, will have all the improvements in the end of season wrap up

yeah i cant remember who to be honest but i do know in the season wigan getting relegated from EPL they won the FA cup so were playing europa league whilst in championship LOL

And yeah i think its a done deal in terms of promotion. the attention is now on the FA Cup!
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    The fairytale is complete! And on penalties, too. A poetic end, really. More draws in the league/cups but that shouldn't bother you when you're 7 points ahead. And you've got 5 games in hand. Macclesfield should be favourites to do the double.
  • Richoman
    Macclesfield Town Do the Domestic Treble!!

yOuzIOT.jpg
    Macclesfield Players Celebrate the League Two Title Win

6zLRIpz.jpg
    Macclesfield Clinch the Leasing.com Trophy

Macclesfield Town again have put their name in the record books officially completing the treble. Their win against Stevenage in the league means they have officially won the League Two title with 6 games to spare. The Leasing.com trophy means they now have won that, the English League Two title and the Carabao Cup this season. An incredible achievement for a club many predicted would be nowhere near where they are now.

Results as at 26/04/2020

8FvKmn6.png

kka14Hy.png

BoN9aFA.png

NVApbrS.png

gKfVOr3.png

9MlQBvu.png

0hHFoDM.png

shpTxit.png

HilZQMh.png

BgPw4Fq.png

Manager's View

Another month filled with achievements! We won the league title, the Leasing.com trophy and progressed to the FA Cup Final! It was a extremely strong campaign for us. It went better than I thought it would. But as the months wore on it was apparent we were a bit too classy for League 2.

We also advance to the FA cup final after a very good showing against Manchester United. We actually controlled most of the match. Manchester United appeared to be wary of our pacey wingers and defended really well. We found it hard to break them down but had a few good chances and we manage to take one in extra time.

In terms of player performances, I have blooded some youth acadamy graduates on request of the board the most promising one I would say is attacking midfielder Jamie Edwards. He is very creative on the ball and has good off the ball movement. Full back Theo Archibald has reclaimed his spot as the first choice RB over Hayden White due to the fact we appeared to struggle against the wingers of the stronger opposition. Theo Archibald's lower centre of gravity helped against that threat and he is also a better passer. Crucial for our fast passing play. Gunjeevan Thakkar was also very good as the backup striker and almost has 20 goals this campaign.

We now finish the season off with 4 more dead rubber matches in the league and the big FA Cup final against Liverpool! What a way to cap off the season it would be if we beat them!

League Table
    LN33uJx.jpg

Stats
    VFp5rKo.png

7y8mgRw.png
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Well, what a fantastic campaign it's been already. Clearly far too good for League 2, hopefully League 1 proves to be bit more of a test for you. Congrats on all the cups as well, and you've still got the chance of winning another one. Mental. I wish you luck.
  • Richoman
    JoGR02 wrote: »
    Well, what a fantastic campaign it's been already. Clearly far too good for League 2, hopefully League 1 proves to be bit more of a test for you. Congrats on all the cups as well, and you've still got the chance of winning another one. Mental. I wish you luck.

thanks mate! yeah its been way better than i thought. The transfer window will be mental, got some big plans :D Hopefully the board give me a bit more money. how much did you get with burton albion?

• Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    Echo what has already be said. Excellent season. With some of those wins over EPL clubs, I'm not sure Macclesfield stay in League 1 will be long either. Interested to see what the big plans are for the transfer window.
  • Richoman
    Macclesfield Town Stuns the World AGAIN Defeating Liverpool in the FA Cup Final

uP0TIN9.png

Macclesfield Town has yet again done what was thought to be impossible. In front of a packed stadium at Wembley the small team from the North West of England have knocked off Premier League Champions in the FA Cup Final in what was yet another dramatic clash.

Fans and experts were left dumbfounded and frustrated that Liverpool appeared to underestimating the fast attacking threat of Macclesfield Town by constantly bombarding up forward leaving numerous gaps out the back for Macclesfield to run into. Former Liverpool Captain Jamie Carragher described it best after the match for Sky Sports, “Everyone knows they love space out the back, Liverpool knows it, they know it, the fans know it. Yet they kept sending players forward and pressing stupidly giving them a paddock to run into. I don’t know if they were stupid or just arrogant”.

Liverpool went into this match wanting revenge after Macclesfield knocked them out of the Carabao Cup. They also wanted to do the double this season and within the first seven minutes it looked like they would with Naby Keita scoring after Liverpool broke apart Macclesfield Town’s defence.

However, as we have seen this season this tough English League Two side just would not die. Their pace, fast ball movement and bravery stunned the Liverpool defence and they equalized within three minutes. Liverpool took back the lead again however they were pegged back again… and again. The Premier League champions gave up their lead in the match three times and were beginning to look frustrated. It was as if Macclesfield, known for their never say die attitude, saved the best of this quality for the last match of the season. With each goal they scored the more in control they looked.

When it was 3-3, the momentum was with Macclesfield. They peppered the goal constantly for the next 15 minutes, Jurgen Klopp looked on helplessly as the slick ball movement of Macclesfield put Alexandar Tonev in the perfect position to rocket home the winner with an unbelievable strike from outside the box.

LgtNiRi.jpg
    Alexandar Tonev Scores the Winner with a Stunning Shot

From the very beginning of the match the experts predicted that Liverpool’s attacking talent would be too strong, however they warned of Macclesfield’s dangerous pacey attack. They love sending through balls for their fast attacking players to run onto. Liverpool’s high press played right into their hands. However, Jurgen Klopp said before the match he backed his defenders to stop that threat and that a shootout would suit his team more. It appeared he was wrong and this match made it certain once and for all this special team won’t be underestimated again.

90sroXe.png
    Captain Jak Mccourt Lifts the Famous FA Cup Trophy
  • Richoman
    Results End of the Season

EpWyLUO.png

pC6Se1C.png

Xwabex1.png

O1KSOap.png

f61OaYd.png

Manager’s View

Wow what a season. It felt like 10 years ago when I first took charge of this club for their first pre season match and thought “Geez this will be tough”. The growth and development of this growth has been amazing. They have taken to the game plan amazingly well and at the same time have had fun doing it!

However, beating all these EPL teams I did not expect at all at the start of the season! The team has a firm belief we can beat anyone now. Winning the FA cup or not we probably still would of had that belief. We into the game knowing Liverpool could not help but bombard forward. They were angry and ashamed of losing to us. Alex Kiwomya our fastest winger was crucial to this plan, our team were to look for him to run out the back after Liverpool eventually gives up the ball. He has gained the reputation of a big game player of sorts, lifting when we really need it and against top teams in the EPL scoring 5 goals in 8 matches against Man City, United, Liverpool and Spurs.

Our captain Jak Mccourt has been unbelievable with his leadership this season, on and off the field. Arthur Ghanoua was a wonderful focal point for us in attack. The pace of Kiwomya, Alexandar Tonev and Lee Gwang Hyeok were extremely important to how our system works. Whilst our defense was lead beautifully by Ari Friojonsson, Nemanja Mitrovic and Sveinn Aron Vilhjalmsson.

Now we look forward to next season, which will jam packed with games as we will be involved in 6 competitions! I will need to recruit even more players and have done so already before this season has ended. We will keep following the philosophy of recruiting players to fit our system. Playing in Europe will be a wonderful challenge for the lads. I cannot wait to do it.

League Table

ABfn68q.png

Player Stats and Team Stats

kr4aLVM.png

SKw65eC.png

SKw65eC.png

2Hy2oKi.png

League Stats

uJ6bbth.png

lsAkg8Z.png

6FVXNpk.png

Macclesfield Town Player of the Season Award 2019/2020

dCg6Bqo.png

Voting System: Players are given a score up to 10 for regular games 15 of important game and 5 for unimportant matches as determined by the coaching team. Players will only be given a score if they are deemed to have played a “good” match otherwise no score will be given.
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 1
    If there was ever any doubt that Macclesfield was NOT a fluke, the FA Cup results have cast that aside. I can imagine Jurgen Klopp on the sideline hitting critical mass. :D So, is a good match for the player evaluation based on the rating at the end of each match? Lots of interesting possibilities working with player ratings, but I'm afraid of being sucked in. :#

Great job with the first season. I would like to see how Macclesfield Town does in the Europa League; especially with all the other competitions. Whew! :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • Richoman
    If there was ever any doubt that Macclesfield was NOT a fluke, the FA Cup results have cast that aside. I can imagine Jurgen Klopp on the sideline hitting critical mass. :D So, is a good match for the player evaluation based on the rating at the end of each match? Lots of interesting possibilities working with player ratings, but I'm afraid of being sucked in. :#

Great job with the first season. I would like to see how Macclesfield Town does in the Europa League; especially with all the other competitions. Whew! :sweat_smile:

hahah yeah i can imagine :DD some great animations of disappointed liverpool players and fans that warm my heart as a man utd fan haha

yep defitnetly the player ratings at the end of each match have say in it, though i dont go soley off what fifa says since sometimes it can be inaccurate so i would adjust the ratings if need be and those ratings would effect the votes given for each player. i kind of imagine it to be the manager of a team with his coaches discussing after each game how well each player gave and giving them a rating based off that.

And yes you can haha, with your graphs you can defs make something sick :OO maybe some type of player performance predictor hmm
  • Richoman
    Macclesfield Town Stars Alexandar Tonev and Arthur Ghanoua want OUT

4CnHd7w.png
    Alexander Tonev

In a big blow for the FA Cup champions. Alexander Tonev and Arthur Ghanoua have reportedly requested to leave the club as a number of clubs have been chasing their services offering wages reportedly up to 10 times what they earn currently.

Alexander Tonev caught the attention of the world after scoring the winner in the FA Cup final and it was rumored that his former club Aston Villa were about to make a bid for him. Along with Aston Villa, multiple other clubs in the Championship, Premier League and around the world are reportedly lining up bids including Saudi club Al-Hilal. It is expected that Macclesfield, despite their success will not have the wage budget to match the wages these clubs are offering.

Arthur Ghanoua, Macclesfield Town's top goal scorer is in a similar situation with multiple clubs also after his services offering big wages. His agent told reporters last night that Ghanoua is currently exploring his "options" and will make a decision in due time.

Macclesfield could hold these players to their contract as both have two years remaining left in their respective contracts but it would be aware that holding disgruntled players in their team could disrupt the massive wave of success they have been having. The transfer proceeds would also have a massive positive impact to the club that is looking to grow everyday.

uQ3EtuH.png
    Arthur Ghanoua

Macclesfield have also been busy in the transfer market the last few months recruiting multiple players on Free Transfers. Along with the signings of Ryan Broom and Derrick Etienne Jr in January they have since then signed:

Devante Cole (Free Transfer) - Tall athletic striker who is a former graduate of the Manchester City Acadamy

Josh Laurent (Free Transfer) - Versatile tall central midfielder who loves to dribble with the ball

Brandon Hanlan (Free Transfer) - Strong, fast and fit striker with extreme athletic ability. Has a powerful shot.

Gregory Wuthrich (Free Transfer) - Reliable centre back who rarely makes a mistake

Ernest Ohemeng (Free Transfer) - Extremely fast winger who has the ability to beat a man with ease

Macclesfield meanwhile have announced centreback Fiarce Kelleher will leave the club joining Romanian club Gaz Metan Medias for a reported fee of $700,000.

• Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    With all the success, it was probably expected that some of the better players would want to elevate their standing. Macclesfield might have to come back down to earth a little bit, but the proceeds earned should help to minimize the losses. Transfer windows can screw up even the best laid plans. :o
  • Richoman
    edited September 6
    Macclesfield Town Breaks Their Transfer Fee Record to Sign FC Basel's Dimitri Oberlin in One of ELEVEN Players Bought in By the Club
    qb2mPGe.png
    Dimitri Oberlin

Macclesfield Town have been incredibly busy this transfer window having brought in 11 players via transfers, loans and free agent signings. They have also off loaded multiple players with 11 players leaving the club via transfers and player swap deals.

Their most significant signing however appears to be promising FC Basel star Dimitri Oberlin. Signed for a club record fee of $3,800,000 it is a massive win for Macclesfield as it was rumored even Manchester United were interested in his services. A strong and pacey striker with the ability to also play on the wings, Oberlin was rumored to have had a fall out with his manager over game time and the role he has given in his time with cameras catching last season Oberlin and the FC Basel manager arguing in front of teammates.

This tension has helped Macclesfield Town secure his services despite being in the English League One. Inside sources say Oberlin was convinced to sign due to the fact he would be guaranteed a starring role in the team, Macclesfield being involved in Europe as well as his contract including clauses that will increase his salary significantly if the team gets promoted or wins multiple trophies.

However, despite the major signing experts are concerned that the cohesion in the team during the season will be off due to the multiple new faces. Of the 11 signings the other significant ones include:

Lucien Agoume, a promising central midfielder from Inter Milan

Matthew Millar, versatile Right Back from the Newcastle Jets signed for a then club record fee of $1,400,000

Becir Omeragic, the extremely promising 18 year old centre back from FC Zurich.

Speaking at a press conference today the Macclesfield Town Manager was asked why the need for so many changes following a season of great success. "Well, due to our success we will be involved in the Europa League, hence this puts us involved in 5 competitions during the season which could mean we will be playing 70+ games this season. Hence we need to greatly improve our depth so our players do not burn out. The players going out unfortunately were due to personal reasons. Some of them were offered deals too good to refuse and some wanted more game time. We as a club believe if the players heart is not in it then we will not step in the way of their wish to move. We want all our players 100% committed to the Macclesfield Town journey".

Macclesfield Town did have some significant players leaving this transfer window with star winger Alexander Tonev signing for Saudi giants Al Ahli for $1,000,000. Star Striker Arthur Gnahoua also left the club to Serie B club Salerno. Both players were previously reported to have been the first players to have asked for a move this season for Macclesfield. Star Left Back Adit Ginti was involved in a player swap deal with promising Colchester Left Back, Ryan Clampin after the latter was disgruntled about his wages and Ben Stephens & Gunjeevan Thakkar also have left the club due to wanting more playing time.

• Richoman
    With all the success, it was probably expected that some of the better players would want to elevate their standing. Macclesfield might have to come back down to earth a little bit, but the proceeds earned should help to minimize the losses. Transfer windows can screw up even the best laid plans. :o

haha yes and also Macclesfield Town has had a history of financial troubles , even being penalized by the league before for not paying player wages on time!! hence we need to be a bit careful with our finances. With other clubs offering big deals we cannot compete.... yet! and yes i eeked out as much money as i could for these guys. There will be massive changes to the team :D
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    Well it's impossible to really put into words how good a season you've had and even using the word good there is an understatement. Just an incredible season. Shame you look set to lose some stars, but given the circumstances it's hard not to. But getting 11 players in, well, will either really pay off or look silly come the end of the season. Never thought I'd see Macclesfield spend so much :D
  • Richoman
    edited September 9
    Results as at 01/09/2020

eesXrBm.png

cYOkhND.png

liLS46s.png

ch2UhDG.png

KL53ltR.png

eKxMdrY.png

DMEE0ia.png

3r2O76k.png

EpdeYAE.png

Manager's View

Another transfer window done and again some massive changes to the club. We were forced a bit at time to make these changes due to the players wanting to leave, however we respected their wished to get more game time or to make a truck load more money elsewhere. The players we have bought in to replace them though we are confident will more than appropriately fill the void. Going into this window the strategy was always to build on our depth because of all the games we will play this season. Our goal was to have 2 starting XI's that would be just as good as each other along with 3 decent players for each position on the field and I believe we have done that.

Some of the transfers you would of already seen in the news like our record breaking signing Dimitri Oberlin or promising young CB Becir Omeragic. However, some other lads we have bought in I am very excited about. Baris Guvenc a young aggressive CM who got for free! From what I have seen in training he is extremely talanted on the ball and can really stick a tackle. Brandon Hanlan, the pre contract signing from a few months ago. He is the most athletic striker I have seen. He is faster, stronger, fitter and a higher jumper than anyone I have seen at the club. He will wreak havoc this season. And finally LB Mads Pedersen, who is an extremely talented and balanced LB from Germany, he is adept in defence and attack and I feel he can handle the dangerous wingers even the ones from the EPL.

Results wise we have been unbelievable. Our preseason was perfect, winning the European International Trophy and gaining much needed funds. Though, we did hit a blip against Man City in the community Shield. However, I felt we were in that game til the end, and some bad passing at crucial moments led to their goals. We also have our captain Jak Mccourt OUT for 2 months with a knee injury he suffered in pre season. Despite that though we have been dominant against our League One opponents, We sit top of the table and look to be cruising. Our passing has improved and clicked since the Man City game, we are creating and taking chances at will and most importantly, our defence, the aspect we had to improve the most last season has been wonderful.

Players of the season so far and ones to watch for the rest of the season I would say are RB Matthew Millar. He has been a rock at RB, stopping everything that comes his way, a tackling and intercepting machine. We needed better defence on our wings and we have it with him. Player of the season so far. Our 2 strikers we have bought in Devante Cole and Brandon Hanlan have been bonkers so far this season both averaging over a goal a game! Cole is more the smooth mover and very clinical whilst Hanlan Id describe as a Wayne Rooney pressing type who scores and tackles his opponents hard! I'd keep watch on Derrick Etienne Jr this season as he has the most assists for this season and is so dangerous behind the strikers, Acadamy Graduate winger Mason Murphy is showing even more promising signs, beating opponents and scoring his first professional goal for us and of course our best winger in the team Lee Gwang Hyeok who is again wreaking havoc on defenders, though I feel he will take his game to another level this season.

Stats and League Table

CupFVAd.png

AZnTsCd.png

QtOTila.jpg

Transfers

23aqaIP.png

ToomNHo.png

• Richoman
    Well it's impossible to really put into words how good a season you've had and even using the word good there is an understatement. Just an incredible season. Shame you look set to lose some stars, but given the circumstances it's hard not to. But getting 11 players in, well, will either really pay off or look silly come the end of the season. Never thought I'd see Macclesfield spend so much :D

Thanks! I am surprised myself haha they are a fun team to manage. Whenever I go behind these guys always seem to find a way to fight back hahah For lower league players they seem to actually know where to run to

Haha yes i did go overboard on the ins and outs :DD I literally felt helpless last season when mo salah and co were running around my full backs like cones hence I had to strengthen that hard! Also my midfield too, and plus with the truck load of games i felt i need all 40+ players to be decent enough because they will get called upon. I was happy i guess to make money from some of the stars as they were late 20s or early 30s , though the younger stars i held on to hard haha. they will have to force them off me!
  • WestardLord
    1950 posts Play-Off Hero
    Those are some massive changes to the squad, but it seems to be paying off so far with a perfect record in the league.
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    Even with all the changes, Macclesfield hasn't missed a beat. Jak Mccourt might as well take his time coming back, no need to hurry (unless he's worried about his job ;) ).
  • JoGR02
    80 posts Park Captain
    A flawless start, I can't even pretend to be surprised anymore. Keeping the momentum from last season was key and also playing your style of football. With all the goals scored, I'm glad Macclesfield are doing it their way.
  • Richoman
    edited September 15
    Results as of 10/10/2020

6Hruga5.png

mEn7yze.png

uKtcBbE.png

gXwQjh2.png

yIaHLSx.png

unBVrQI.png

Sj56ONZ.png

pDrzVtX.png

ixkTxJo.png

gy7zx7b.png

0IB9PgY.png

prXWcEU.png

Manager's View

Another incredible run of results and I am extremely pleased how we have faired in Europe thus far. The attack and defence of our team is at an all time high at the moment along with our confidence. The choice of having 2 strong starting XIs have paid off as our players have had adequate rest between matches and barely any player has had to play 2 games within 3 days.

Our defence has improved tenfold from last season and has given us an incredible 17 clean sheets already this season. Our GK Sveinn Aron Vilhjalmsson has grown massively this season with some awesome stops as well as having a calming presence around goal. The back 4 is being lead extremely well by vice captain Nemanja Mitrovic whilst full backs Matthew Millar and Mads Pedersen have been able to blunt the threat of the oppositions most dangerous wingers.

The midfield has been our engine room and I can say no player has lowered his colours playing through, all have been dangerous and been creating chances at will. I am extremely excited by the talent of the young midfielders coming through the ranks, Baris Guvenc, Jamie Edwards and Lucien Agoume. They have been dynamic, aggressive and not scared to play that final ball. These young players along with all the other youngsters have been taking centre stage in the Leasing.com trophy and it has been great to give them that opportunity to start games seeing as we have so many games in our fixture. Captain Jak McCourt returned from injury during this period and resumed where he left off last season. It was as if he never missed at all when he helped us massively in that come from behind victory against Luton.

And finally our attack has been out of this world so far, particularly the strikers Devante Cole and Brandon Hanlan. Both have been lethal in front of goal and have been a handful for defenders with their pace and their tendency to play on the shoulder of the defenders suiting our game plan to a tee. I have noticed the opposition have been making it extremely tough for our wingers to finds space and surge past their defence of late which means Lee Gwang Hyeok and Dimitri Oberlin have not been able to dominate the competition as predicted. Though they have still had strong seasons thus far and have looked dangerous through out.

Overall, I can say for now I should expect this team to be promoted (touch wood!). We look extremely strong and it would take a big fall for us not to. Though of course we do remain cautious. No doubt we will be tested soon and Barnsley are also having a strong season! Big games in the Europa against PSV are coming and we need to overcome them to get top spot in our group.

Player Stats

pwhOESm.png

Stats

luJ9CeJ.png

Table

I2kwRV6.jpg

• Richoman
    Those are some massive changes to the squad, but it seems to be paying off so far with a perfect record in the league.

haha yes, i figured it was bring in tons of players or face the prospect of playing europe with dead tired or extremely in experienced players :/. Always a risk to bring in that many though but I made sure they are the type of players that suit my style of play
    Even with all the changes, Macclesfield hasn't missed a beat. Jak Mccourt might as well take his time coming back, no need to hurry (unless he's worried about his job ;) ).

hahah well thank god he was back he was a massive reason why we came back from behind against Luton :# timed it perfectly i must say haha
    A flawless start, I can't even pretend to be surprised anymore. Keeping the momentum from last season was key and also playing your style of football. With all the goals scored, I'm glad Macclesfield are doing it their way.

thank man, yeah i gotta admit this is a fun team to play with, its real easy to play at a frenetic pace with them. I expect us to take promotion at least with the real challenges being playing against the top teams in the Europa League and FA Cup, thats gonna be an interesting one
  • Richoman
    Results as at end of November 2020

d09nHqw.png

wz2YgLX.png

sYFXpR8.png

seT9rO0.png

BANJo9Z.png

jyfB22i.png

6Z5oaLi.png

PqFPRfX.png

DXqd1ND.png

9ULXzpK.png

xocsN6e.png

7Yk6MXu.png

LKsXG7E.png

Manager's View

Overall another very strong month and a half of results. We are top of the table in the league and the Europa League and are still in every cup competition. Our style of play this season has been that of an even more faster style of passing where we try to press our opponents high up the pitch and then attack quickly via rapid passes.

Opponents have identifed our strength in on the wings hence have closed that down in multiple matches forcing us to pass through the centre still to devasting effect. This has meant our wingers Lee Gwang Hyeok and Dimitri Oberlin, despite still having strong seasons not having the league breaking effect we thought they might have. It has been our spine that has been having incredibly strong seasons thus far, starting from our keeper Sveinn Aron Vilhjalmsson who has made multiple incredible saves this season as well has leading his defense incredibly well. Nemanja Mitrovic again has had a solid season thus far with his partner Ari Friojonsson. Both have improved alot this season as evidenced by the goals against tally. Our captain Jak McCourt is having a stunning this season thus far after coming back from injury, dominating the midfield with his pinpoint passes and pressing. Ryan Broom has become a surprise packet in attacking midfield with his chaotic running and nippy movement proving a handful for defences and our strikers Brandon Hanlan and Devante Cole have regularly converted their chances this season.

Unfortunately we did have our first competitive loss of the season going down to Frankfurt in the Europa League. We are even with points with them in the group stages with us being 1st in the group due to goal difference with 1 game left. We also have Barnsley on our tail for the league with them only being 6 points away from us in 2nd spot. We play them in our next league game. We also have a crucial quarter final Carabao Cup clash against Manchester City in the next few weeks where fixture congestion really becomes a problem!

As we head into the winter transfer window we will be looking to maybe add an extra CB as we only have 4 in our squad at the moment and potentially another CDM as at times we have appeared to be weak in that area during matches. In other transfer news we have agreed to sell CJ Hamilton and Ahkeem Rose with their departures to take effect once the window opens.

Stats and League Table

JH1d6I9.png

Aqn5qLj.png

XTIiG8S.jpg