August - unlikely to buy Fifa 21

Rossco160715
2638 posts Fans' Favourite
edited August 2020
Usually by August, EA start releasing decent players in packs and somewhat creating a false perception that you have a possibility of packing something decent.

I have had utter garbage since November from weekly rewards. I have not had a single red pick that makes the into my team.

To be honest, it is great. I think the introduction of the ps5 is making it a lot easier to walk away from Fifa this year as I have played it far more due to lockdown, than ever before.

I’m giving Fifa 21 a miss but will probably have a browse through and watch videos to see if there is any improvement post release. But I cannot justify buying a PS5 to play one game I don’t enjoy.

If I bought it for the PS4, I have a feeling I’d end up with a lucky pull early to tempt me into buying the ps5 and continue hence why I haven’t preordered.

Is there anyone genuinely considering giving it a miss? I know we get these posts every weekend during moments of rage but it’s a nice frosty morning and I’m calm, before the EA cheerleaders pipe up with ‘see you in Fifa 21’.

Comments

• Mogga
    3355 posts National Call-Up
    I've had some really good pulls in amongst some horrific ones. Am still gonna hold off til next gen though.

Might as well get a few months use out of the best team I've ever had
  • AvalanJ
    1510 posts Play-Off Hero
    I hear ya. I skipped 19 probably the reason I was able to put up with all the bs in 20
  • Unparalleled
    957 posts Professional
    edited August 2020
    Skipped 18 and most of 19 (played till November and binned it after ). The fist time finesse, timed shot that went in 100% of the time regardless of distance or angle, broken el tornado cross and keeper movement killed 19 for me. It was such a bad game.

I've stuck with 20 mostly cos of lockdown. I don't see myself getting 21 atm. I'd like to see actual improvements before even considering it.
  • Hannayiom
    220 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I also have the best team I could ever imagine, so gonna keep with 20 until next gen, and most likely FIFA 22.

My thought being all the toxic little ❤️❤️❤️❤️ will move to 21 and leave 20 a far happier place to be!!

• HelloDearie
    2685 posts Fans' Favourite
    This year is the year in my opinion, that if you are going to skip, then you should. With the PS5 coming, lets be honest FIFA 21 will be a write off, and even more of a patched up FIFA 17/18/19/20 for the PS4, and even then the PS5 version probably wont be great.

I am basing this on the PS3 to PS4 crossover, whereby the next gen version in-particular was poor.

Obviously some may disagree with me, but I am very much at the stage where I feel I may be better off selling my ps4, and then getting a PS5 with FIFA 22.
  • SignpostSounder
    4213 posts National Call-Up
    There aren't going to be any truly "must-have" next-gen specific things going on with FIFA 21. Even online play will be cross-generational. Nobody is going to miss out on anything other than slightly shinier graphics by playing on their Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

I'll be picking up an XSX and PS5 because I play other games, but if I was somebody who just played FIFA, I wouldn't see any reason to pick up a new console just yet.
  • EekAlaska
    2969 posts National Call-Up
    Didn't play 20 until March. 100% this "Promo" has done nothing but convince me to do the same with 21 or maybe even skip altogether.
  • With the way things are I doubt EA have made any changes anyway apart from rebranding to 21.
  • DFC1983
    1313 posts Professional
    Got 20 as a Christmas gift, never asked for it, lol. Might get 21 even later as a birthday gift. :D
  • Gromit
    4865 posts Big Money Move
    Didn't buy 18 or 19 after buying religiously every year. Totally burnt out from 17 and playing the same EPL team every game. Decided to try 20, thought it was pretty good at the start but its not long before it goes down hill. People will blame the patches but IMO the real game killer is just the Special Cards.

That first 2 or 3 weeks is the closest you get to how the game used to be. Where everyone has fairly modest, balanced not at all over powered team and the game plays quite nice. As soon as the OP cards start to drop it just descends into madness.

By the end every team has a squad full of players who have 90 to 99 for at least 80% of their stats. If people expect this to ever result in a "good game" then you're deluded. It just becomes cheat mode.

I've stuck with 20, and like above posts also got the best squad I've ever had but so has everyone else. I'm not buying 21 partly down to how poor it is but also down to how much of a time sink it is. Played 3k games, a lot more than the years when the game was better. Just to keep up and complete the objectives.

Would love the game to be accessible to the casual gamer and see a return of when you could use bronzes, silvers and non meta golds online. But the game will continue as is for some time. Where it serves only the elite, you defend by NOT using your defenders and when you get a clear goal scoring position you DON'T shoot but do another skill move first.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    4012 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2020
    I only got this one in May and it was a huge mistake. There is no way I'll get 21. It's much better to have free time to choose what you want to do in - rather than it just being filled with a specific game. A game that isn't even a fair experience and is basically just a big money making exploitation of people.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    Ps5 releasing is really helping me walk away as I have zero interest in playing a reskin of 20. I will pick up the new console at some point but not in any kind of rush (the fact I have to buy from abroad and the current situation is what it is means I'm looking at next year).

I'll also say I was glad I got '20 as it has been the year where EA went too far with the power curve and money grabbing. I know a lot of folk love having all these juiced up cards that basically make anything released a month earlier irrelevant, but I feel like they have killed their own game in doing so. It has left me feeling, "what's the point?", and this approach appears to be here to stay.
  • Thunder001
    820 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2020
    I think there's way to many special cards these days.

This does have the benefit of keeping the game fresh for those that play regularly, but for those that don't want to play all the time your team just gets less and less competitive compared to everyone else. You can't just dip out for a month and come back at the same level, it's not helped this year by all the objectives in Rivals as noone seems to be in their 'correct' division either.

I really liked the objectives in 19, but 20 has just taken it to another level. I've played 200 games of SB just to do objectives this year. SB what absolute trash that is and I'm forced to play it if I want some of the special cards, I should be able to earn them by playing game modes I enjoy.
  • ChappellRovers
    3408 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2020
    I cancelled my pre order for ps4 Fifa 21 this morning, began Fifa 20 ten days ago on EA access. The trailers make 21 look like more of the same, spamming skill moves to win even more juiced up. Going back to Fifa 21 on nintendo switch. Its a lazy edition but it runs on Fifa 15 engine, just cant enjoy frostbite its terrible. Maybe when they build a new one for 22 maybe that might work. The menus, sbcs, content all suck on Switch but at least i can cross, head, shoot, tackle and theres less toxicity. There also isn’t a “meta” so to speak so you can use whatever you want. But cant see myself getting nextgen if im being honest.
  • Rossco160715
    As others have said, the release of the PS5 is perfect for me to walk away. I only play Fifa and I can no justify the cost of Fifa 21 in addition to the PS5 for a very mediocre game made by people with football knowledge gained from YouTube videos.

You are talking close to £600, maybe more, for a substandard game. I cannot justify that 9 months before I get married.

• SignpostSounder
    As others have said, the release of the PS5 is perfect for me to walk away. I only play Fifa and I can no justify the cost of Fifa 21 in addition to the PS5 for a very mediocre game made by people with football knowledge gained from YouTube videos.

You are talking close to £600, maybe more, for a substandard game. I cannot justify that 9 months before I get married.

I mean, more power to you, but the PS4 edition will be identical, to the point that you'll be able to play against PS5 users online.

"It costs £600" isn't really a point of argument, because it doesn't. (Yet.)
  • MonTheGers
    836 posts Semi-Pro
    EekAlaska wrote: »
    Didn't play 20 until March.

i did the exact same and will probably do it again with the next one.
  • URBirdman
    1497 posts Play-Off Hero
    when people use "unlikely" "perhaps" "maybe", it usually ends up with buying FIFA 21...
  • Zeke1216
    3178 posts National Call-Up
    I was going to buy it during the summer heat promo but then this new pre season promo came out lol no thanks , actually thanks ea ! For reminding me how bad your pack weight and gameplays as well as sbcs really are
  • otutsarTR
    407 posts Sunday League Hero
    Definitely not buying. Tired off same core problems with different names/skill names every year. Cancelled my ea access today.
  • Jobiwan
    3836 posts National Call-Up
    For the last couple of years I've said I'm not going to buy it. Not doing that this year as i know I'll just go back on my word. Hopefully they fix rivals somehow...
  • Kobayashi
    465 posts Sunday League Hero
    Buying the PS5 when new GTA launched, which will be at least another year, COD 'cold war' will be awesome for another year on PS4 come November, already got PES 21 update for footy game from end august, played every Fifa but 20, played too much, already decided not buying, not until I've seen it online PS5 with a new engine without all the connection issues it has now. EA support would have to improve on these forums as well for me to come back
  • cheesyzoot
    189 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Skipped 19, glad I did.

Played 20 a lot due to lockdown.

Skipping 21.
  • Rossco160715
    Lockdown really saved EA this year. People literally had nothing else to do.

Fifa 21 is going to be their downfall.
  • Yangster1984
    414 posts Sunday League Hero
    Buying fifa 22 together with PS 5 is the most sensible way to go

Skipping fifa 21 for sure. It's gonna be same game as fifa 20 no matter what patch notes they released
  • Hannayiom
    220 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    People are learning not to believe the utter ❤️❤️❤️❤️ EA talk every year.

Kamra will get this piece of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ company with any luck.
  • josemourinho
    236 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    after consecutive 4 years of FUT, it is time for me to walk away as well. 20 was the best pack luck for me but invested way too much time in it. time for other interests even though will be picking up the ps5 at some point.
  • Gnomenclature
    8219 posts League Winner
    Gonna really try to stay away from 21. If they add servers in california I might consider it - gameplay is way too inconsistent on the west coast.
  • SignpostSounder

It kinda did and it didn't.

I mean, the people who had "literally nothing else to do" were firing up FIFA 20 on a machine that can play thousands of other games.

On Xbox, they could have paid £1 for a 1-month trial of Game Pass and had 100 games available, including stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2, as well as getting the four free Games With Gold offerings each month. On PlayStation, PS Plus gives them free games every month. On PC, their Twitch Prime account (which they likely have if they're playin' FIFA) gives out almost a dozen games for free every month.

And if they've got EA Access (again, quite likely if they are FIFA players) then there's a vault of games there to play.

And yet they still chose to play FIFA.

So it can't have been all that bad, can it?
  • Rossco160715
    SuperKMx wrote: »

It kinda did and it didn't.

I mean, the people who had "literally nothing else to do" were firing up FIFA 20 on a machine that can play thousands of other games.

On Xbox, they could have paid £1 for a 1-month trial of Game Pass and had 100 games available, including stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2, as well as getting the four free Games With Gold offerings each month. On PlayStation, PS Plus gives them free games every month. On PC, their Twitch Prime account (which they likely have if they're playin' FIFA) gives out almost a dozen games for free every month.

And if they've got EA Access (again, quite likely if they are FIFA players) then there's a vault of games there to play.

And yet they still chose to play FIFA.

So it can't have been all that bad, can it?

What an absolute load of nonsense.

I only have Fifa because I only like football. I don’t like any other sports and therefore do not play any other games.

So no, I wouldn’t play any other game and you 100% know this, despite your utterly dreadful efforts to cheerlead.

If you do not think the lockdown had a significant impact on more people playing Fifa than any other year, you are absolutely delusional.