The reality is FIFA won't be good for another 10-20+ years

TDOF
3013 posts National Call-Up
edited August 1
That's the honest reality.... i've been telling myself the next year will be better since fifa 11...

a lot of people always look back at the old games (fifa 11,12,13) and say "Those games were good"

They weren't good.... they always had problems. Were they more fun than the current games? Yes, no doubt....

But each one had a problem, a perfect fifa never existed.

before you disagree, look at the way EA makes fifa games, every year its just a patch in a way....

every year it's just 3-5 "new features" and 90% of the game is copy and pasted

so let's do some calculations here

Lets say for example fifa 20 has "x" amount of features, lets make x = 100 (for this example) and every year we add the 3/5 "new features" that EA add every year

FIFA 20 = 100
FIFA 21 = 103/5
FIFA 22 = 106/10
FIFA 23 = 109/15
FIFA 24 = 112/20
FIFA 25 = 115/25
FIFA 26 = 118/30
FIFA 27 = 121/35 (We're 7 years deep and the game has 21 - 35 new features that don't exist right now)
FIFA 28 = 124/40
FIFA 29 = 127/45
FIFA 30 = 130/50 (We're 10 years ahead and fifa has 30 - 50 new features that don't exist right now)

im going to stop there.... but you see what i mean?

The game progress' slowly, what i haven't taken into account here is that features also get removed.

Also with the power of next gen it might boost performence but we're yet to see.

Comments

• munchie63
    3462 posts National Call-Up
    something to look forward too then
  • Lallish
    49 posts Park Captain
    I think you are right. Ea shows year after year that they dont give a sh*t about making a good and realistic football game. They only have one priority and that is how they are going to make even more money. Until they want to make a good game we are stuck with this pathetic thing they call football
  • MUFC_420
    2736 posts Fans' Favourite
    Next gen is my last hope. If things haven't improved by then, then they probably never will.

This is EA's big chance to turn things around.
  • Fotbal_love_12
    115 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    MUFC_420 wrote: »
    Next gen is my last hope. If things haven't improved by then, then they probably never will.

If they don’t will resort to all FPS, racing games and fighting games. Sports games currently are extremely bad.
  • MUFC_420
    2736 posts Fans' Favourite

If they don’t will resort to all FPS, racing games and fighting games. Sports games currently are extremely bad.

That's my plan. If FIFA 21 on PS5 is still delayed and unresponsive then I'm done with sports games and will just get my football fix from real football.

As for gaming I will be having tons of fun with all the new games that will be coming along.

Don't get me wrong I hope it doesn't come to this and EA finally get things right but if not then I can happily live my life without this game.
  • TDOF

Is also difficult to make a sports game tbf.....

there are so many variables that you have to take into consideration, and there is no such thing as physics in code, you have to program physics which is hard... almost impossible.

That's why everything is ran off animations, which are terrible because animations are forced and aren't natural

That's why im saying it wont be for another 15+ years that we get a proper good run at a game
  • Brustring1893
    1351 posts Professional
    New features does not necessarily equal better gameplay. All I want is a fun game that’s transparent in every way (pack odds, gameplay) and has the necessary licenses. Licenses are only available to the highest payer and they’re a heavy block of fixed costs for everyone trying to enter the market. If there would be enough competition, we would have had a decent football (simulation) game already a while ago.
  • TDOF
    New features does not necessarily equal better gameplay. All I want is a fun game that’s transparent in every way (pack odds, gameplay) and has the necessary licenses. Licenses are only available to the highest payer and they’re a heavy block of fixed costs for everyone trying to enter the market. If there would be enough competition, we would have had a decent football (simulation) game already a while ago.

im talking about features that improve gameplay.
  • OZero
    6879 posts Big Money Move
    There would never be a perfect game.
  • TDOF
    OZero wrote: »
    There would never be a perfect game.

Disagree, once game developers figure out a way to code true physics into a game, which i think it won't be for another 20 years, then we'll get a good solid realistic like feel of a game
  • Brustring1893
    1351 posts Professional
    TDOF wrote: »

And I’m talking about competition creating a better gaming experience, that will end up in new features being implemented faster. Btw what even is classified as a “new” feature? There will be whole engine switches in between. Also keep in mind that new features in eg 2020 have high costs while the marginal revenue of these features is seemingly low. If there would be enough competition (that’s not mainly ruled by licensing), gameplay features would be implemented faster thus also creating synergies between different competitors.
  • Gromit
    4728 posts National Call-Up
    The earlier FUTs had flaws I agree, they were decent games for their time and they were fun, something the latter games have sorely lacked. And I genuinely believe EA had a lot more focus on making a good game.

The current gen has really suffered from the need to sell sell sell all year around. When selling DLC takes over as the main priority its never going to end with a great game. The game really has suffered for it.

Players with 99 stats everywhere don't make a great game either, its basically ended up like playing Fifa with a Game Genie plugged in.

Its just a disposable mess, everyone gets excited about a new juiced player, a week later they're putting him in an SBC and getting ready for the next one.
  • Seanregal
    1273 posts Professional
    I'm going to sound old on this but the current gen has been spoiled. When you grew up with waiting a half hour to load up emlyn hughes soccer or kick off. Todays football titles are a marvel, yes they have flaws but if i want a quick football fix the difference is night and day.
  • Mrhey31
    2186 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well if you look at 2K with basketball and Sony with MLB the show (baseball) you can see that having a monopoly in a sport does not mean you have to ‘fail’ year after year. Those games are so good year after year, improving and listening to the community.

Sure they don’t make the money fifa does, ohh wait that’s a reason why EA should make a better game.
    Maybe because they have fewer people playi... ohh wait no that’s not true either.
    🤔 🤔.. ehhh maybe it’s because ... no can’t think of any reason why EA fails year after year to create a better game than the year before:
  • tzinc
    1945 posts Fans' Favourite
    FIFA will be good as soon as lootboxes are banned - once the gambling is removed from the game - and you can no longer spend real money or gamble real money
    people will only buy the game for QUALITY of play at that point not because of addiction
    at that point all the programmers working on special packs promotions etc will work on gameplay
  • TDOF

And I’m talking about competition creating a better gaming experience, that will end up in new features being implemented faster. Btw what even is classified as a “new” feature? There will be whole engine switches in between. Also keep in mind that new features in eg 2020 have high costs while the marginal revenue of these features is seemingly low. If there would be enough competition (that’s not mainly ruled by licensing), gameplay features would be implemented faster thus also creating synergies between different competitors.

Yes a new engine is needed, an engine does bring animations, collision detection and all the main components to bring a good game, but from the various romours i heard EA is working on a "Frostbite 2.0" other than using a good engine like Unreal Engine 5

EA always has to do things their way....
  • TDOF
    tzinc wrote: »
    FIFA will be good as soon as lootboxes are banned - once the gambling is removed from the game - and you can no longer spend real money or gamble real money
    people will only buy the game for QUALITY of play at that point not because of addiction
    at that point all the programmers working on special packs promotions etc will work on gameplay

it'll make them focus on other aspects of the game i agree, but you know they'll find some work around or implement something else to benefit them (hopefully something which also benefits the user)
  • Kobayashi
    412 posts Sunday League Hero
    Once Messi and Ronaldo get converted into Icons it will be those 2 up front for the next 50 years
  • tommyboyo
    1671 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 1

It's not necessarily true, because they may decide to focus more on other games/reduce budget on FIFA if it is no longer the absolute cash cow that it currently is.
  • Headshrinker363
    5845 posts Big Money Move
    giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29bc6f0fb27884d95dc94052e761d851afaf69ffe2&rid=giphy.gif
  • Benja190782
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero

I agree. This would change things completely.
  • GULAG
    621 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited August 1
    Don't encourage it we should have a perfect game already. my household has been funding EA sports £100 for 20years and that's just for the base game, from 2012-2013 we must have spend about 1g on Fifa points each aswell and then we stopped completely, now me and my bro go halves on the game for £25 every year on the ps store and don't spend a penny more ... point is EA have had the time, support and funding to give us what we want and deserve but instead they are to busy in making a game that rips you off and manipulates you, horrible company.
  • TDOF
    GULAG wrote: »
    Don't encourage it we should have a perfect game already. my household has been funding EA sports £100 for 20years and that's just for the base game, from 2012-2013 we must have spend about 1g on Fifa points each aswell and then we stopped completely, now me and my bro go halves on the game for £25 every year on the ps store and don't spend a penny more ... point is EA have had the time, support and funding to give us what we want and deserve but instead they are to busy in making a game that rips you off and manipulates you, horrible company.

Not encouraging it... just stating a fact. I buy the game and spend FP at the very start of the game every year... and will continue to do it. But the game isn't going to be good while EA keep going with this yearly scheme
  • RadioShaq
    16075 posts Moderator
    The game has improved every year. The latest pitch notes also explain how much work ea is doing all year even after releasing the game. What really needs to improve is peoples isp and the infrastructure. Which really isn’t something that has to do with ea.
  • GULAG
    621 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited August 1
    GULAG wrote: »

Not encouraging it... just stating a fact. I buy the game and spend FP at the very start of the game every year... and will continue to do it. But the game isn't going to be good while EA keep going with this yearly scheme

I know, sorry I didn't mean you are literally encouraging it just I think the title should be we want a game now and not in 10-20 years lol ea don't deserve polite request or feedback.
    I know alot of what EA have been doing over the past 8 years and it's wrong and criminal.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13373 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 1
    The basic principles of kicking a ball into an onion bag haven't really changed much in the last 30 years so it really shouldn't take them 10-20 years to improve the game. Considering that 30 years ago we were playing games like Kick Off on the Amiga, I would say that football games have evolved a lot as technology has become better.

With that bombshell I dub this whole thread...

giphy.gif
  • TDOF
    The basic principles of kicking a ball into an onion bag haven't really changed much in the last 30 years so it really shouldn't take them 10-20 years to improve the game. Considering that 30 years ago we were playing games like Kick Off on the Amiga, I would say that football games have evolved a lot as technology has become better.

giphy.gif

has the game changed that much in the last 10 years?

im talking about pure gameplay stand point, has it really changed? We went from Ignite to Frostbite, which has improved graphically, but apart from that, things have either stayed the same or gotten worse.
  • CeeQue
    12774 posts Has That Special Something
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    The game has improved every year. The latest pitch notes also explain how much work ea is doing all year even after releasing the game.

More like fixing their mistakes martin3.png
  • Knowlesdinho
    13373 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 1

giphy.gif

im talking about pure gameplay stand point, has it really changed? We went from Ignite to Frostbite, which has improved graphically, but apart from that, things have either stayed the same or gotten worse.

Has football changed much in the last 10 years? I mean the basic principles of football are pass, cross, shoot. If anything FIFA has changed so much over the years that it barely even represents real football. Dragbacks, croquetas, El Tornadoes...they are just a few examples of things added to the game over the years that make it completely unrealistic in relation to actual football.

What exactly is it that you want from the game? If they strip it back completely so that it's a more realistic representation of football, you'll be the first to spit your dummy out.
  • TDOF

giphy.gif

Has football changed much in the last 10 years? I mean the basic principles of football are pass, cross, shoot. If anything FIFA has changed so much over the years that it barely even represents real football. Dragbacks, croquetas, El Tornadoes...they are just a few examples of things added to the game over the years that make it completely unrealistic in relation to actual football.

What exactly is it that you want from the game? If they strip it back completely so that it's a more realistic representation of football, you'll be the first to spit your dummy out.

in the last 10 years;

Defending - went from the old legacy (which was just pressing x/a to press or tackle) to what we got now "tactical"
    improvement? Sure....

What else has changed in defending? Nothing drastic or worth mentioning.....

Gameplay - We got a full 360 turn radius..... "precise dribbling"
    we got first touches.....
    we got new free kicks (which is an old feature)
    we got new corners
    we got a new goalkick camera
    we got protect the ball
    we got frostbite
    we got real player motion
    we got early crossing
    we got timed finishing
    we got goalkeeper movement

Here's a list of all the features in the past 10 years

https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-11_features/
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-12/
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1304933-fifa-13-latest-updates-on-features-rosters-gameplay-videos-and-more
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-14-features/
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-15-features/
    https://www.easports.com/fifa/features/xbox360-ps3 (fifa 16)
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-17-features/
    https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/news/fifa-18-real-player-motion-technology
    https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/fifa-19-features

does this look like 10 years of work to you? @Knowlesdinho