New pitch notes actually pretty interesting

Ishibum
15305 posts World Class
https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-20/news/pitch-notes-fifa20-game-data-center-deep-dive

Not a direct sales pitch like the one we had this time last year but an interesting look at data centres and routing. Hopefully enlightens some of our US friends here that go, "WhY dO i AlWaYs FaCe MeXiCaNs?!?!?!"

Comments

• Mogga
    3209 posts National Call-Up
    You read all that ? 😬
  • RadioShaq
    19694 posts Moderator
    They said in one of the past pitch notes it was down to your isp taking longer hops. This one did explain how they tested servers though.
  • BombSquadPuppy
    2297 posts Fans' Favourite
    So the main jist about poor connection regardless of ping is poor investments in their data centers, forcing the players to constantly reroute when playing a match
  • JohnDoe
    12175 posts Has That Special Something
    Mogga wrote: »
    You read all that ? 😬

lmao it’s not that much
  • what3v3r
    1116 posts Professional
    Ishibum wrote: »
    You read all that ? 😬

I'm one of those sad people that actually takes an interest in this kind of stuff. Mainly because the company I work for has been transitioning from a mainframe based platform to a cloud/data centre based one (meaning I've had to learn a bit about networking and that).
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    They said in one of the past pitch notes it was down to your isp taking longer hops. This one did explain how they tested servers though.

This one also states that the routing of your ISP (and the partnerships they may have) can result in more hops. Knowing how poor the backbone network is in Mexico (again, have experience through my job), I wasn't surprised to see so many Mexicans connecting to Dallas rather than Mexico City.

But even connecting to Dallas, isn't necessary for the data to travel through mexican backbone and then to USA? Or is there a direct fiber cable linking them directly? I ask this because I live in Berlin and I get an awful connection to the Frankfurt servers. I only play now in the Amsterdam servers, it is almost like German backbones were slowing my data.
  • Hugoku
    1315 posts Professional
    Hopefully enlightens some of our US friends here that go, "WhY dO i AlWaYs FaCe ScUmMy MeXiCaNs?!?!?!"

fixed it for you

:lol:
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    So the main jist about poor connection regardless of ping is poor investments in their data centers, forcing the players to constantly reroute when playing a match

They said DCs with poor reliability aren't considered. We don't know if that includes the relationship that vendor has with ISPs.
    what3v3r wrote: »
    You read all that ? 😬

I'm one of those sad people that actually takes an interest in this kind of stuff. Mainly because the company I work for has been transitioning from a mainframe based platform to a cloud/data centre based one (meaning I've had to learn a bit about networking and that).
    RadioShaq wrote: »

This one also states that the routing of your ISP (and the partnerships they may have) can result in more hops. Knowing how poor the backbone network is in Mexico (again, have experience through my job), I wasn't surprised to see so many Mexicans connecting to Dallas rather than Mexico City.

But even connecting to Dallas, isn't necessary for the data to travel through mexican backbone and then to USA? Or is there a direct fiber cable linking them directly? I ask this because I live in Berlin and I get an awful connection to the Frankfurt servers. I only play now in the Amsterdam servers, it is almost like German backbones were slowing my data.

Well yeah but if you're in the north, you would tap into that pipe in the north and then it would either go to MEX or Dallas depending on what's faster. Point I'm making is, I've had to deal with multiple issues involving traffic going from Mexico City to other parts of the country and the amount of times it has been local ISP routing issues is insane.
  • Mmandras
    6269 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2020
    Amazing read. I always knew network infrastructure was complicated issue to tackle for EA, but not in this detail.

No, not at all. It really comes down to local ISP infrastructure, backbones and data routing.
    So we have a situation where the people living in a city, potentially due to the internet routing challenges that were outlined earlier in the article, are able to maintain a faster connection to a FGDC location in another country than they can to the one located within the city that they live in.

And that really is the challenge of trying to use FGDCs to improve the Online Gameplay Responsiveness for FIFA players in a nutshell. Without a detailed understanding of the internet, it may seem simple, and sometimes it can be, but often you are faced with realities such as these.

Getting it right, and building out FGDCs that properly support players is much more complicated than sticking a bunch of pins on a map. Making meaningful improvements relies on the availability of appropriate infrastructure, solid data analysis and often, trial and error.

We are very happy with the impact that the Dallas FGDC has had on the players that are now playing their FIFA Online Matches on it, the data shows that it’s made a positive difference for many players, which is always our goal.

What is interesting to me is that EA has set acceptable trashold to only 50ms.

There's a lot of data science involved, and because it's such a complex issue that requres a lot of trial and error, I believe that in the future - whenever that might be - we might get more responsive gameplay after all. But the solution is complex, expensive, and pretty much depends on local ISP's regardless of FGDCs distribution.

I can certanly see improvements in comparison to last few years and peer to peer connections that were, at times, completely unplayable. I'm a little bit more confident in EA data team competence and network optimization process, thanks to these pitch notes they are sending us a message that they are putting some serious work into optimization.