How I Fixed My Server Disconnect Issue

BaseCamp
1655 posts Play-Off Hero
edited June 30
I did the following.

1) Changed the IP of my xbox. There are different methods of doing this. I achieved it by unplugging my modem for 10 minutes. Setting up a static ip may be preferrable but will require additional tech knowledge. I have set up a static ip before but chose not to at this point in time.

2) I placed my xbox in a DMZ. This can typically be done by accessing your modem gateway page. It is relatively easy and only requires you to enter your ipv4 and where applicable ipv6 ip address for your xbox. Both of these can be found in the network settings page of your xbox.

3) I turned off upnp. There should be an on / off button to this in your modem gateway page.

I was disconnecting upwards of 10-15 times a week for 2 weeks. Including 4 times in a day. All were server disconnects. I have not had a server dc in upwards of 100 games since making these changes.

A dmz basically opens all traffic to your xbox. Upnp opens up ports upon receiving the request. Port forwarding allows you to select which ports to open. Ill post a thread on this in the GD as well.

Note: These changes have significant security risks / flaws. You need to do your own research to determine if the risks are acceptable. The same things can be done on a ps4 just you will obtain your ip in a seperate settings page. Additionally with time depending on your modem / provider your ip may change. This may require you to update your xbox ip within the dmz.

Typically the method I used is for obtaining an open nat but it seems to have resolved my server disconnect issues.

@Joestoe

Comments

• Rahat786786
    124 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I had my ps4 on dmz but kept getting letters from virgin about an ip address attack lmao so changed back.

No difference for me tbh, if you have a decent router then upnp should work fine.
  • Barry Allannnn
    1154 posts Professional
    I had my ps4 on dmz but kept getting letters from virgin about an ip address attack lmao so changed back.

No difference for me tbh, if you have a decent router then upnp should work fine.

They send me those letters too :D
  • Janscharie
    357 posts Sunday League Hero
    On xbox: every time you start up, go to settings, go offline then go online again.
    Problem solved
  • Mogga
    1298 posts Professional
    Last week or so I've had 3 or 4 disconnects in rivals. I've been losing in every one. I don't feel unjustly punished 😂
  • DaMMian
    1180 posts Professional
    @BaseCamp

❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Joestoe
    8458 posts League Winner
    Have read a bit into it and DMZ’ing your console shouldn’t be an issue as it’s very well secured anyway. Don’t DMZ your laptop or computer under any circumstances though.

No issues since last night anyway, so it just about might have done the trick :) Thanks!