Wifi booster/extender

Martin1905
171 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Hi, hoping some of you are a lot more clued up on this than me, I literally know nothing.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting some sort of wifi booster or extender thing, my boys upstairs dont have the best of internet and the room at the front of my house is pretty poor too, due to solid walls I assume, so would like suggestions on what I should be looking at getting.

Cheers.

Comments

  • Clemster
    580 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I only ever play with a wired connection. Never had any issues.
  • BeastlyHusla
    5964 posts Big Money Move
    Get yourself a gigabit ethernet hub and a some long ethernet cable. Place hub say in middle floor and wire the ethernet cable from router/modem from each other.

    You can tidy up with wiring with those plastic "r" shaped things that you nail on walls.

    It'll probably cost you same as those WiFi extenders/boosters. WiFi boosters should only be used for tablets and phones.
  • Martin1905
    171 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Not keen on having wires going everywhere.

    If the boosters are ❤️❤️❤️❤️ is it worth investing in a proper router, I only have the standard one that comes with Sky Q.
  • futscp
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    It doesn't matter how good a wireless router or extender you get, you'll always get some delay or disconnections from time to time.
  • BondJame5Collins
    1943 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 4
    Martin1905 wrote: »
    Not keen on having wires going everywhere.

    If the boosters are ❤️❤️❤️❤️ is it worth investing in a proper router, I only have the standard one that comes with Sky Q.

    We've got the best one Sky offer and tbh, in regards to fifa, it's no different to the standard one we had before. I'm in a similar boat to you, we have 3 Sky Q boxes, main one downstairs which is connected by Ethernet so the internet hub has to be there. So, unless we take a wire up through the ceiling, under carpets, and into my room, i'll have to make do with wifi.
  • Martin1905
    171 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Cheers.

    I have my main sky Q box downstairs in the room with the router. A mini box in another room downstairs, the wifi in that room isn't great as there is 2 thick solid walls in between.

    I've another mini box upstairs in my bedroom.

    My boys have 2 x boxes in their room one of them by the door works ok, the other one which is on the far side is about as far away from the router as possible and it's not great.

    There are 7 of us in my house, at any one time both boys will be playing on their xboxes and generally watching YouTube at the same time , 2 people watching sky in different rooms and me watching Netflix upstairs, along with all of us on our phones at some point

    It's not just for FIFA I want to try and improve it but in general as although it's not terrible its not great and there is a fair amount of usage going on.
  • Theomanny
    1943 posts Fans' Favourite
    Martin1905 wrote: »
    Cheers.

    I have my main sky Q box downstairs in the room with the router. A mini box in another room downstairs, the wifi in that room isn't great as there is 2 thick solid walls in between.

    I've another mini box upstairs in my bedroom.

    My boys have 2 x boxes in their room one of them by the door works ok, the other one which is on the far side is about as far away from the router as possible and it's not great.

    There are 7 of us in my house, at any one time both boys will be playing on their xboxes and generally watching YouTube at the same time , 2 people watching sky in different rooms and me watching Netflix upstairs, along with all of us on our phones at some point

    It's not just for FIFA I want to try and improve it but in general as although it's not terrible its not great and there is a fair amount of usage going on.

    Perhaps het virgin or bt along side existing sky?
  • Turkey_man
    489 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'd recommend going with a wifi mesh system.

    It will cost more than standard boosters but the key difference is a mesh network extends your wifi network rather than creating an additional sub network.

    Much better if you're going to be connecting mobile devices as otherwise they will be disconnected/connecting as you move about your house.

    If it is solely for their xbox/playstation then a basic wifi booster will be sufficient and cheaper.

    I connect my xbox to wifi just because I get alot more disconnects from EA servers when I use ethernet.
  • LiTTl3_King15
    479 posts Sunday League Hero
    Clemster wrote: »
    I only ever play with a wired connection. Never had any issues.

    This^ I used to play on wifi a lot and would get horrendous button delay but started wiring my connection last year and it's reduced a lot of the issues sure the game play can still be crap same with the servers but hard wiring definitely helps.
  • futscp
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    It's really difficult to get a good enough wifi for gaming using inexpensive home based wireless products. Even in an office environment where professional wireless surveys and fully optimised wifi configuration is applied I still wouldn't recommend it for gaming where you need your latency to be constantly under 50ms. While connected to your wireless and running a constant ping to the internet you'll see that you'll have some spikes in the latency which would mean button delay in game or those weird fast forward moments which is your console catching up with whats going on in the game after the slight delay.

    In short, if you care enough about your game experience: go for wired.
  • BeastlyHusla
    5964 posts Big Money Move
    Martin1905 wrote: »
    Not keen on having wires going everywhere.

    If the boosters are ❤️❤️❤️❤️ is it worth investing in a proper router, I only have the standard one that comes with Sky Q.

    No router will provide the connection you get with wired.

    If you care enough about your gaming and online experience. You'll want to get wired. My solution is cheap and easily done. I've done it myself. Wires are barely noticeable as they tucked neatly onto the wooden frame of bottom our walls.
  • If you electricity wiring is fairly modern in house. Eg less than 10 years old. Get power line plugs. Plug one into router port 1. Then the other 2 can go into the room that has consoles. And the can be connected to there consoles.
  • Reus
    23487 posts Club Captain
    My connection has been way better since I bought a powerline adaptor
Sign In or Register to comment.