WL question ?

Are games harder as soon as the wl starts. I’m in the USA for me it’s on Friday at 12am or should I play them on Saturday n Sunday I have a hard time getting silver 1 most of the time

Comments

• Wonderfulwest
    5134 posts Big Money Move
    The later you play your games the easier genuinely they are. Especially on a Sunday night, a lot of people play 10+ games on Friday. Meaning your placement games will be against a poorer standard of players making hitting 11 wins a lot easier. Of course it’s completely random but play games later if you want a easier chance
  • JWNYsg
    2501 posts Fans' Favourite
    The later you play your games the easier genuinely they are. Especially on a Sunday night, a lot of people play 10+ games on Friday. Meaning your placement games will be against a poorer standard of players making hitting 11 wins a lot easier. Of course it’s completely random but play games later if you want a easier chance

so 0 wins in first 5 games is the best?
  • Wonderfulwest
    JWNYsg wrote: »

No not at all, your first 10 games are nearly always the easier of the bunch. Tho quitting won’t reset your ELO so if your losing finish the game usually helps later down the line
  • JWNYsg

No not at all, your first 10 games are nearly always the easier of the bunch. Tho quitting won’t reset your ELO so if your losing finish the game usually helps later down the line

i see, was worried that 3 or 4 out of 5 wins in placement games would mean you get matched with high tier opponents since form would be higher
  • unxius
    626 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited May 29
    Doesnt make a difference when you play , you will randomly get pick anyway. You dont get paired with the same rank , it's done on who presses the find match button at the same time . Some you will get lucky and some you wont . On a Friday I've won my first 5 and other fridays I've only won 1 . So totally random. But Sunday more chance of quick games , down to gamers trying to get through their games before it finishes
  • Wonderfulwest

i see, was worried that 3 or 4 out of 5 wins in placement games would mean you get matched with high tier opponents since form would be higher

No I may be wrong but My understanding is the first 10 are your placement games then after that it matches you with people or a similar record. Then obviously the later you play the less opponents and it just matches you with the nearest
  • oldboiler
    3043 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 29
    My strategy is usually to try get the games out the way as quickly as possible so that I don’t spend the weekend thinking about the next time I’m gonna play WL.

WL has a nasty habit of consuming your weekend so it’s nice to get it done...bear in mind I’ve only played 5 or 6 WLs all year
  • JWNYsg
    i don't think there's a specific "pattern"

I've been playing WL since day 1. only missed 1 weekend. My observation is, you usually play the same players (which i think is linked to the location)
  • Wonderfulwest
    i don't think there's a specific "pattern"

I've been playing WL since day 1. only missed 1 weekend. My observation is, you usually play the same players (which i think is linked to the location)

I’d have to disagree here, as I know if I played someone more then once as I always message my opponent afterwards. Sometimes give out some advice if I noticed something that might help but nearly always saying good game and best of luck. That way I know if I’ve matched up with someone before.

And I rarely play the same people and I’m always finishing the same ranks. Maybe because I play at all different times
  • ILevis
    1300 posts Professional
    I think its easier later in the weekend

Lets say you are a gold 2 player. That means your skill level is a form of +4 (17-13, so 4 more wins than losses). If you play early and reach that form quickly, you might end up playing high level players that just start their weekend league. A top 100 player only has +5 form after 5 games, same for elite players. So if you start early and are unlucky you might get matched up with harder opponents from time to time.

Adding to that, i feel like if you play sunday evening, you get a ton of ragequits because everybody tries to get as many games done as possible. So you also get your games done super quickly and dont have to grind countless of hours.
  • 6 losses so far no wins ☹️

And opponents not getting easier they all have high rated red picks
  • futscp
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dont think there are placement games ..you start with an ELO of 0, if you win your first game then it goes to +1 then +2 etc, and you can always play someone with an ELO close to yours (not sure if its a - or + 5 difference). The thing is more that on early Friday most people who play are good players because they dont study or work so can dedicate a lot of time to the game. On Saturday and Sunday you can play more casuals so some games should be easier..
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    Placement games are all totally random, are they not?

I just played someone with the most insane team I have seen (and most insane luck), 99 CR7, De Bruyne, VVD, Messi all as red picks and then subs on Pele. Can you imagine that, opening your WL rewards for PL and getting KDB and VVD, La Liga and getting Messi, and then Serie A and you are probably opening them like ''right, now its all going to be CSL isnt it'' and CR7 is sat there.

Meanwhile, I open an ultimate pack from getting 300 DR wins and there is a 79 as the highest.

Finally played someone worse than me lol my first win 🤣
  • futscp
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    Placement games are all totally random, are they not?

I just played someone with the most insane team I have seen (and most insane luck), 99 CR7, De Bruyne, VVD, Messi all as red picks and then subs on Pele. Can you imagine that, opening your WL rewards for PL and getting KDB and VVD, La Liga and getting Messi, and then Serie A and you are probably opening them like ''right, now its all going to be CSL isnt it'' and CR7 is sat there.

Meanwhile, I open an ultimate pack from getting 300 DR wins and there is a 79 as the highest.

This is also a reason not to start your WL early. At this point all the best players have the same ELO as yourself, if you give them a few hours to win a few games you will not get matched up with them.
  • Onuryuk83
    53 posts Park Captain
    edited May 29
    Well for me the first 10 games are harder than the rest 20 games. By harder I don’t mean better opponents. Somehow after the first 10 games, my gameplay gets better and I start to play better even i face harder opponents compared to my first 10 games. This happens consistently each WL.
  • joshyw
    52 posts Park Captain
    I usually go 4-1 or 5-0 in my first 5, then the next 5 are a lot harder, then after 10 games it gets slightly easier and I’m usually about 12-3 after 15 games

then the last 15 i can tell I’m playing players around my level, but tbh regardless of how I start I always end up the same rank
  • Kobayashi
    401 posts Sunday League Hero
    3-6 despite 20ms ping, don't feel in control of my team, tried various formations, seems that once opponent puts team press on I am done for.