My first WL - helpful advice appreciated

Scu11duggery
1282 posts Professional
So, didn't play for a couple of years. Got so fed up I just stopped. Got myself a Switch and really enjoyed single player games there. Then picked up a PS4 to start playing through the exclusives and it shipped with FIFA.

Wrote it off after a quick play but with lockdown some of my friends started playing FIFA as a means to keep in touch so I picked it up again a few weeks ago and actually started to enjoy it. Started playing UT and went down my normal route of Serie A. I'm not a great player, currently in div 6 though gradually building my skill points as I get to grips with the game and learn how to play instinctively and drop my bad habits and have finally qualified for Weekend League. I know a lot of people hate it, find it too stressful and sweaty, but I am going in with zero expectations.

My current squad in game is a 4222 with

GK NIF Handanovic
LB SBC Dalbert
CB OTW De Ligt
CB TOTW 92 Koulibaly
RB NIF Malcuit
CDM TOTSSF Bentancur
CDM RTTF Allan
LAM BD Lozano
RAM SBC Leonardo
ST BD Lasagna
ST HL Ilicic

I've been using TOTS SF Falcao and Diaz as subs in the second half and they've been performing really well up top.

Questions I have:

I've accrued 2000 it's to enter WL. When do I need to activate this for WL to play that weekend? Am I able to wait and see what the next TOTSSF is I'd prefer to know it was Serie A for any potential rewards I might get.

If I enter WL, what are the requirements for participating the next week? Minimum number of wins? If I fail to meet that, do I then have to accrue 2000 PTS from scratch again?

I currently have about 200 Serie A rares in club/transfer list/winning bids in the hope that there is a similar SBC for when that drops.

Is there any advice anyone can give re my squad or WL in general?

Thanks in advance anyone who has read all of this and can provide anything constructive. 🙂

Comments

• AvfcGreatGuy
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited May 2020
    Try not to get frustrated and be prepared for dodgy gameplay. I personally avoid playing after 6pm on fridays.

To auto qualify for next week you need silver 1 or higher (11 wins)

You might need some more pace at the back CB's mainly. Also you might want a tactic for when your losing something more attacking I use 3-5-2 just to try and push for the equaliser or winner. Have a go see what happens.
  • PiotrLolo
    2702 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 2020
    If you don't get 11 wins you still earn some WL points https://futbin.com/champions/reward-tiers

Time to enter WL is 24 hours since it starts but I'm not 100% sure.
  • YidArmy
    1738 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 2020
    Hey mate, I played my first ever WL last weekend and think I can help. I got Gold 2 (17 wins) with a very basic mainly Gold team so its still very doable to beat all these God Squads.

You can activate your entrance to WL until pretty close to it being finished, on the Sunday night I think. Once WL starts there is a countdown on your tab telling you how many days / hours you have left to enter.

You need 11 wins (silver 1) to get the full 2000 FUT points back, meaning you can enter again without having to top up in rivals. If you fall short of this, you get a sliding scale of FUT points, so like 1000 for say 8 wins, 500 for 5.
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional
    Try not to get frustrated and be prepared for dodgy gameplay. I personally avoid playing after 6pm on fridays.

To auto qualify for next week you need silver 1 or higher (11 wins)

You might need some more pace at the back CB's mainly. Also you might want a tactic for when your losing something more attacking I use 3-5-2 just to try and push for the equaliser or winner. Have a go see what happens.

I've actually been thinking about going 352 once the Serie A TOTSSF drops! Everything seems to be through the middle so I think it may be a good starting point and maybe switch it up if I'm struggling. I've noticed a few games lately people were so central in their attacks that I switched to 1width defensively and they struggled after that. I get that higher quality players will look to vary and exploit gaps, but it actually feels like tactics can be amended in game and actually work which I like

In terms of Pacy CBs, do they both need to be or would RTTF Juan Jesus compliment whoever remains well?

Thanks for your advice. 🙂
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional
    PiotrLolo wrote: »
    If you don't get 11 wins you still earn some WL points https://futbin.com/champions/reward-tiers

Time to enter WL is 24 hours since it starts but I'm not 100% sure.

That's helpful to know. Even if I only manage a few wins, I'll still have a big help to qualifying again. Thanks
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional
    YidArmy wrote: »
    Hey mate, I played my first ever WL last weekend and think I can help. I got Gold 2 (17 wins) with a very basic mainly Gold team so its still very doable to beat all these God Squads.

You can activate your entrance to WL until pretty close to it being finished, on the Sunday night I think. Once WL starts there is a countdown on your tab telling you how many days / hours you have left to enter.

You need 11 wins (silver 1) to get the full 2000 FUT points back, meaning you can enter again without having to top up in rivals. If you fall short of this, you get a sliding scale of FUT points, so like 1000 for say 8 wins, 500 for 5.

Thanks. Any tips on how to handle the god squads? Feels like I'm heavily outgunned in 80+% of matches so would be interested to hear how someone else handles it
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    Try to space out your games and don't get sucked in to a losing run. I play my games in batches of threes. The only time I deviate from that is if I win all three (and even then I'll take a few minutes between games) or if I lose two on the bounce (I just turn off).

Also, don't forget that a defeat should make you more likely to face a weaker opponent in the next game. Something to take solace from when you get absolutely smashed.

Lastly, try to be tactically flexible in your approach. Have different formations set up so if you see the one you're using isn't working, you have a plan B.
  • FrankFrank
    7310 posts Big Money Move
    1. Have a plan B (another formation if 4222 ain't working)
    2. Be calm and composed both in defence and attack.
    3. Shoot near post
    4. Try to laugh at the game instead of rage.

Player instructions are quite important as well.

LB / RB: Stay back on attack, overlap
    Allan: Stay back and cover center
    Bentacour: Balanced, cover center
    Leonardo / Lozano: Come back on defence
    Strikers: Come back on defence.
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional
    Ishibum wrote: »
    Try to space out your games and don't get sucked in to a losing run. I play my games in batches of threes. The only time I deviate from that is if I win all three (and even then I'll take a few minutes between games) or if I lose two on the bounce (I just turn off).

Also, don't forget that a defeat should make you more likely to face a weaker opponent in the next game. Something to take solace from when you get absolutely smashed.

Lastly, try to be tactically flexible in your approach. Have different formations set up so if you see the one you're using isn't working, you have a plan B.

Thanks, I've set up my custom tactics for different set ups and focuses to try and make myself more flexible and able to react. I get the tilt thing. I can lose a game and then drop two or three to people who don't feel like they should be beating me and it's because I've started playing like a headless chicken both sides of the ball.
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional
    FrankFrank wrote: »
    3. Shoot near post

My instructions are actually similar to that already! Only diff is the front 4 are balanced and ilicic is stay fwd as his stamina was an issue. Subbing him on 60 mins seems to be helping with that though so it might be time to start making them more active with their time on the pitch. Is it better to have everyone coming back? I'd have that with a more defensive custom if I'm trying to protect a lead, but I've noticed most people have 5/6players back at all times. Is WL different, or am I better with people back to make up for defensive errors/lack of ability?
  • AvfcGreatGuy
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special

In terms of Pacy CBs, do they both need to be or would RTTF Juan Jesus compliment whoever remains well?

Juan Jesus would work i'd swap on de ligt. It's mainly because of how many juiced cards are in the game now. people even put LB/RB's at CB, i do this with TOTS Wan-bissaka and it works surprisingly well.

I did use 4-2-2-2 for a short while just couldn't get the hang of it found there was too much space inbetween my CDMs and my attackers. Went back to 4-3-2-1
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional

Juan Jesus would work i'd swap on de ligt. It's mainly because of how many juiced cards are in the game now. people even put LB/RB's at CB, i do this with TOTS Wan-bissaka and it works surprisingly well.

I did use 4-2-2-2 for a short while just couldn't get the hang of it found there was too much space inbetween my CDMs and my attackers. Went back to 4-3-2-1

I'm so precious about 10 chem on everyone I didn't even think about FBs in the middle since crossing is such a non issue. :neutral:
  • FrankFrank
    7310 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2020
    FrankFrank wrote: »
    3. Shoot near post

My instructions are actually similar to that already! Only diff is the front 4 are balanced and ilicic is stay fwd as his stamina was an issue. Subbing him on 60 mins seems to be helping with that though so it might be time to start making them more active with their time on the pitch. Is it better to have everyone coming back? I'd have that with a more defensive custom if I'm trying to protect a lead, but I've noticed most people have 5/6players back at all times. Is WL different, or am I better with people back to make up for defensive errors/lack of ability?

Having all 4 on come back is key imo. There will be a smaller gap between midfield and attack, and thats really useful both in attack and defence. So its not necessarily a more defensive move to have them come back.

*I play 442 but its pretty much the same
  • BadSeedsFC
    1651 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 2020
    It seems that you have fun with your squad, and that's the main thing of all: remembering that it's a game and that you're supposed to have fun.

We all know that in the game happens weird stuffs sometimes, but if you keep the fun factor "on" you will be ok. I normally play half of WL, but the last two weeks I played some more games and I must admit that I have enjoyed the majority of the games. And I have criticized the mode before too.

I don't know if the good results came because I'm happy with the squad I built or good connectivity. But at least it has been fun.
  • Scu11duggery
    1282 posts Professional
    BadSeedsFC wrote: »
    It seems that you have fun with your squad, and that's the main thing of all: remembering that it's a game and that you're supposed to have fun.

We all know that in the game happens weird stuffs sometimes, but if you keep the fun factor "on" you will be ok. I normally play half of WL, but the last two weeks I played some more games and I must admit that I have enjoyed the majority of the games. And I have criticized the mode before too.

I don't know if the good results came because I'm happy with the squad I built or good connectivity. But at least it has been fun.

Connectivity is huge for me. Recently bought a 15m ethernet cable because some idiot a little while ago decided a telephone port belonged in the kitchen. Since using that all the lag and attached frustration is gone.

I'm older, more aware of my limitations, and play with no expectations of success. Means I don't put pressure on myself and only get annoyed when I lose/concede through mistakes I control. The long break did me good. :)
  • YidArmy
    1738 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 2020
    YidArmy wrote: »

Thanks. Any tips on how to handle the god squads? Feels like I'm heavily outgunned in 80+% of matches so would be interested to hear how someone else handles it

It ultimately depends on your style of play. If you are a possession based player like myself it will help you beat them. Most of these full TOTS squads have got 99 pace in all 11 positions with 99 finishing and shot power. So taking them on at a game of end to end 1 million mph shoot out, is most likely going to end in tears unless you are a very skilled Fifa player that can read the opposition and take most of your chances.

So the aim is to frustrate, don't give the ball away with stupid passes. I see you have Lasagna and Illicic. I'd be getting the ball into their feet with little chipped passes over their CMs and use L2 to hold off the their CBs and wait for the runners.

Be prepared for the lag. I hadn't experienced any whilst playing rivals at all. But come Saturday night on WL it was horrendous for about 4 games, so hard to do anything. Late at night was not a problem.

I found WL was easier than Rivals. I'm in Div 5 at the moment and very rarely have an easy game, whereas in WL I had about 5 games where it was easy all the way.
  • Wurrsmycash
    1204 posts Professional
    My main team is Serie A too

My main advice is you gotta get Radja Naiggolan into your team. He's one of the best players I have ever used in FIFA. Box to box. Aggressive, can tackle, pass, dribble and runs for days..most importantly plays for the badge.

Always first name of my team sheet. Ahead of CR7, ilicic, nesta etc