Is the meta overrated?

Vaaass
3047 posts National Call-Up
edited May 2020
Something that amuses me about this community is that everybody seems to be under the belief that using the meta is key to winning, yet this year I haven't really had trouble when I've come across so called meta players, at least no more than any other cards. I used Neymar as I packed him untradeable, and put him into an SBC 3 weeks later because I didn't find him to be particularly exceptional. PIM Drogba is by far and away the best card I've used this year. In my team currently are TOTS Fekir and TOTS Salah, both of which supposedly fit the meta, yet are considerably worse than PIM Drogba for me. I've had a similar debate before, and people have said "Well you can learn to use non-meta players", but surely by that logic, there isn't such thing as a specific meta? Because if you can learn to use somebody then how is the meta relevant?

I feel like this whole meta thing stemmed from pros claiming cards were brilliant at the start and the sheep have just followed, and now it's the norm

Comments

• 16Townley90
    1169 posts Professional
    This happens every year tho on every FIFA the last statement you made about the pros saying something is good then the sheep follow. I do feel agility is key this year but the stats like and so do the chem boosts.
  • Mackie17
    8565 posts League Winner
    Meta is basically 5*WF small/fast. So salah/fekir aren't a great examples but I agree I use players I like or cards I have fun with. But then again Idgaf if I W/L so my position on it is maybe different to people who take it mad serious
  • truegunn3r
    13733 posts World Class
    There is no such thing as meta players. Simple fact, most people can’t be bothered to play football and just like to play sweaty and pace abuse. So pace is the key and having high agility with pace allows them to turn quicker. It’s not a skill and neither are those players any better. It is just the style of play most people use and that’s it.
  • Queens11
    3090 posts National Call-Up
    Vaaass wrote: »
    Something that amuses me about this community is that everybody seems to be under the belief that using the meta is key to winning, yet this year I haven't really had trouble when I've come across so called meta players, at least no more than any other cards. I used Neymar as I packed him untradeable, and put him into an SBC 3 weeks later because I didn't find him to be particularly exceptional. PIM Drogba is by far and away the best card I've used this year. In my team currently are TOTS Fekir and TOTS Salah, both of which supposedly fit the meta, yet are considerably worse than PIM Drogba for me. I've had a similar debate before, and people have said "Well you can learn to use non-meta players", but surely by that logic, there isn't such thing as a specific meta? Because if you can learn to use somebody then how is the meta relevant?

I feel like this whole meta thing stemmed from pros claiming cards were brilliant at the start and the sheep have just followed, and now it's the norm

Meta for one person may not be meta for u

Meta (most effective tactic available) so will vary for each person yet on this forum people just throw the word around without even knowing the meaning
  • burken
    547 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited May 2020
    4231 with small agile players is the meta. I wouldn't say it is overrated
  • OZero
    7699 posts League Winner
    Neymar into SBC. Sorry I laughed.
  • CosmicFuzz
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    It depends on what you want out of the game.
    If you want to win at all costs like a pro or the numerous try hards then the meta is important as the knowledge will give you a competitive edge.

If you are playing to have a little fun and winning is not the overall priority then it doesn't really matter.
  • dynamosheva1
    1125 posts Professional
    If pace and agility is key , who’s best in the EPL for LM RM CM and LB RB CB in pace and agility .

I would not mind changing my fitness team
  • swfcfan89
    1364 posts Professional
    If you're not a high level player then I feel you're better off just finding what players and tactics work for you. It's much more enjoyable than having somebody else basically pick your team and tactics for you.