FIFA and mental health.

Comments

• Stone_cold_tea93
    3000 posts National Call-Up
    You can remove the disc and walk away for ever. Problem solved guys.

You can also put down the needle, or can of cider, or betting slip. For some not so easy, your point is far of the mark.

If your talking about pack opening then yes I agree. We're not thought. We're talking about people playing the game. The gameplay aspect isn't addictive so it can be easily walked away from.

Pack opening is the game,and many have addictive nature that then affects mental state. Amazing how many people play this game, and get so involved mentally is unreal. But just pulling disk out is not as simple. Only trying to say that, not trying to have go or be negative to your view.

No worries dude all points if view are welcome. That's how we learn.

Pack opening isn't the game though. Playing football is the game. I guess it depends on how you view the game itself.
  • RexAnglo1066
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    Certainly, if you look at the amount of time needed, or the amount of money required, in attaining icons or the most OP variants of meta players like Mbappe etc...it verges on habit forming behaviour.

How can it not when you have to play dozens of games a day and 30 at the weekend?

Of course, those of us who aren't bothered and haven't formed a compulsive relationship will say "nobody forces you to play".

That, unfortunately, isn't how addiction works.

Those players who have become obsessed can't just stop, even when they know they should.

However, personal responsibility and maturity mean you must take action and not wallow in destructive behaviour.

This is why children should be protected and why it is particularly egregious to target them, as they lack the ability to make informed, rational decisions.
  • GLAN12
    111 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I’d played two weekend leagues prior to corona . I’ve played 5 on the bounce , due to pass the time and in fairness it hasn’t be all bad . It might sound pathetic but the mental challenge has been great because through the week I do nothing .

Not a chance I could put myself through this if there wasn’t a global pandemic .
    I think if you just treat it casually Fifa is great , the moment you start taking it too serious and put things off to play Fifa you’re gonna quickly find yourself in a mentally dark place
  • RexAnglo1066
    GLAN12 wrote: »
    I’d played two weekend leagues prior to corona . I’ve played 5 on the bounce , due to pass the time and in fairness it hasn’t be all bad . It might sound pathetic but the mental challenge has been great because through the week I do nothing .

Not a chance I could put myself through this if there wasn’t a global pandemic .
    I think if you just treat it casually Fifa is great , the moment you start taking it too serious and put things off to play Fifa you’re gonna quickly find yourself in a mentally dark place

100%.

It's all about moderation.

Unfortunately, moderation is impossible for someone with that compulsion.
  • Seandimes
    2987 posts National Call-Up
    Seandimes wrote: »
    Im a mental health professional, and I wouldnt say FIFA by itself is bad for your mental wellbeing. If you play it in moderation, its just another game.
    That being said, Ultimate Team can definitely become an issue if you arent emotionally stable, or have an addictive personality. Its very easy to get caught in a cycle of constant frustration, with just enough reward to keep you playing.

If you find yourself frustrated with the game at times, thats perfectly normal. If FIFA affects your mood negatively over an extended period of time, thats where you need to step away for a while and reconsider your priorities. Theres no reason to play a game you dont enjoy.

Are you a therapist then? I suffer from a emotionally unstable personality disorder and on the one hand FUT thrills me like nothing else, but on the other hand it frustrates me like nothing else in my life does. In comparison to other videogames the level of concentration i need to have to play a DR or WL Game is higher than playing offline Games like Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider. FIFA just distracts me the most. And by saying that: I have a fulltime Job and two little Kids at home.

Yea I m a licensed therapist.I think exactly what you mention about the thrill and frustration of FIFA is what makes it so addictive. Personally I quit a couple months ago when I realized playing FIFA negatively influenced my mood hours after a game, but obviously some people handle that better than others
  • ItsWideRight
    972 posts Professional

You can also put down the needle, or can of cider, or betting slip. For some not so easy, your point is far of the mark.

If your talking about pack opening then yes I agree. We're not thought. We're talking about people playing the game. The gameplay aspect isn't addictive so it can be easily walked away from.

Playing the game leads to packs and rewards.
  • llcg04
    547 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Mercenary wrote: »
    If this game really is taking a negative toll on your life, it's time to uninstall. Yes the game is designed to be addicting by its nature, but real life itself is already hard and getting harder, no need for a stupid video game to put you down further.

Yes but it seems like you dont understand what addicition means ;)
  • Rossco160715
    2502 posts Fans' Favourite
    llcg04 wrote: »
    Mercenary wrote: »
    If this game really is taking a negative toll on your life, it's time to uninstall. Yes the game is designed to be addicting by its nature, but real life itself is already hard and getting harder, no need for a stupid video game to put you down further.

Yes but it seems like you dont understand what addicition means ;)

• tommyboyo
    1600 posts Play-Off Hero
    DIVO6K wrote: »
    I'm interested to hear whether people think FIFA is good for a person's mental health and wellbeing?

I lost interest in the game for about 1 month just before TOTS, in general I feel my mental health was much better in this period. Since playing again i've noticed I barely actually enjoy playing and almost feel compelled to play to better my squad/ coin stack. The sunk cost plays heavily on me and i feel my time will be 'wasted' if i don't continue playing even though in a couple months time it's all worthless anyway.

Genuinely interested to hear how people feel this game impacts their mental wellbeing, both good and bad? Cheers.

It's not great at all. Takes a heavy toll on mental health, plus way to much time wasted that could have been put to much better use.

Only the gameplay that winds me up though. Could not care less about pack luck, what I get in reds etc/etc, that is all taken with a pinch of salt :)

But, for right now, I am happy to have it as something which seems important and distracts me from the real world issues!!!
  • tommyboyo
    1600 posts Play-Off Hero

I am the opposite, I don't find the pack aspect addictive at all (and I am a 'recovering' gambling addict, with very addictive personality).

However, I can't stop playing games most nights! End up at three in the morning in rivals or squad battles, when i meant to knock it on the head at 12. Always think, just one more game and then, just one more game. And the gameplay ain't even that good!!
  • James Libby
    7034 posts Big Money Move
    If the game affects your mental health, then don't play it. It's really that simple.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    tommyboyo wrote: »

I am the opposite, I don't find the pack aspect addictive at all (and I am a 'recovering' gambling addict, with very addictive personality).

However, I can't stop playing games most nights! End up at three in the morning in rivals or squad battles, when i meant to knock it on the head at 12. Always think, just one more game and then, just one more game. And the gameplay ain't even that good!!

That's crazy. I've had big issues with gambling in my past (gamcare.co.uk for anyone who wants to self exclude) so for me I can definitely get caught by the pack opening aspect.

The gameplay has never really pulled me in unless I've been watching football.
  • James Libby
    Roobar wrote: »
    If the game affects your mental health, then don't play it. It's really that simple.

I think comments like this show that a lot people really still don't understand how addiction and video games are linked. You wouldn't say that about various other vices. Mental health is a tough balancing act for lots of people and often doing things that make it worse is one of the traits lots of people have.

I think this whole thread shows how easy it is to blame anything but yourself for your own problems. If you were talking packs, I'd agree. But gameplay? Playing the game is affecting your mental health?!?

What other answer could there be than to turn it off?

Seek help. Your problems are much, much bigger than FIFA.
  • Seandimes
    2987 posts National Call-Up
    Im a mental health professional, and I wouldnt say FIFA by itself is bad for your mental wellbeing. If you play it in moderation, its just another game.
    That being said, Ultimate Team can definitely become an issue if you arent emotionally stable, or have an addictive personality. Its very easy to get caught in a cycle of constant frustration, with just enough reward to keep you playing.

If you find yourself frustrated with the game at times, thats perfectly normal. If FIFA affects your mood negatively over an extended period of time, thats where you need to step away for a while and reconsider your priorities. Theres no reason to play a game you dont enjoy.

Are you a therapist then? I suffer from a emotionally unstable personality disorder and on the one hand FUT thrills me like nothing else, but on the other hand it frustrates me like nothing else in my life does. In comparison to other videogames the level of concentration i need to have to play a DR or WL Game is higher than playing offline Games like Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider. FIFA just distracts me the most. And by saying that: I have a fulltime Job and two little Kids at home.

Yea I m a licensed therapist.I think exactly what you mention about the thrill and frustration of FIFA is what makes it so addictive. Personally I quit a couple months ago when I realized playing FIFA negatively influenced my mood hours after a game, but obviously some people handle that better than others

This is exactly what I commented on before prior to it being removed. This isn’t any random Joe commenting on mental health for the sake of putting the boot into EA.

Whether it’s someone without a job who plays Fifa to get through the day, yet finding it more stressful than doing nothing, to licensed therapists finding Fifa stressful despite having significant training on regulating and managing emotions.

There is something significantly wrong with the franchise and it’s entire set up. As a social worker, Fifa was a fantastic stress relief after some of the carnage I witness on a daily basis (even worse in lockdown) yet I can keep that side of me level as I’m able to control a lot of aspect of my workload.

In Fifa though, the control element goes out the window and I find myself reaching uncharacteristic levels of rage. I often put the controller down and walk away but at weekends there isn’t much else to do. I rarely feel in control on Fifa. Passing for example is a lottery; tackling is worse and don’t even talk about player switching. As human beings, we like to be in control, yet on Fifa, this eternal need is out the window and is replace by annoyance/rage.

However, I love football and there is no alternative game where I can challenge my mates in the weekend etc. There is no football on tv, so right now EA have everyone where they want them. This would have been the perfect opportunity to satisfy their fan base whilst still raking in a fortune due to lockdown but as usual, EA have completely prioritised the financial aspect of their game and it’s a shame because they have a community who will always spend regardless.

Seems like we have very similar experiences. Fifa always used to be a great way for me to relax and take my mind off of work.

I think comments like this show that a lot people really still don't understand how addiction and video games are linked. You wouldn't say that about various other vices. Mental health is a tough balancing act for lots of people and often doing things that make it worse is one of the traits lots of people have.

I think this whole thread shows how easy it is to blame anything but yourself for your own problems. If you were talking packs, I'd agree. But gameplay? Playing the game is affecting your mental health?!?

For most people its as easy as just turning the game off. For some it definitely is not. The one thing I agree with you on, if thats the case, you need to seek help.
    Could you explain while you think packs could be a factor in mental health problems, but playing the game definitely cannot?
  • Roobar
    1061 posts Professional

I think we are talking the game as a whole, all elements. Also association is a strange thing , I agree with you to a point and for most of us it is that simple, not for all though.

Many of us see bad patterns in out life and stop them or change them and it's that easy for us, but it isn't for all people. I think that's why with mental health is such a tricky topic it's so different for everybody and so many things in the world effect it in different ways, video games included, for better and for worse!
  • Azof
    17888 posts World Class
    If the game is affecting your mental health please seek appropriate support be it friends, family, gp or addiction services.

• RexAnglo1066
    edited May 8

EA cheerleader found. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not an EA cheerleader at all.

And while we're listing credentials, I have a degree in Psychology.

If the games affecting your mental health the best thing you can do is turn it off.

But you keep making excuses; it's what you're good at.

I don't think Fifa, or gaming in general, is as destructive as hard drugs, alcohol etc...but, it can still be an issue for some people.

Saying "just turn it off" is to completely miss the point.

A compulsion overrides the rational thought process, making it very difficult to be objective and to "just turn it off".

Personal responsibility is important, and it is ultimately up to each person to do whatever they can to end destructive behaviour.

It's just not as simple as just stop.

• James Libby

EA cheerleader found. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not an EA cheerleader at all.

And while we're listing credentials, I have a degree in Psychology.

If the games affecting your mental health the best thing you can do is turn it off.

But you keep making excuses; it's what you're good at.

I don't think Fifa, or gaming in general, is as destructive as hard drugs, alcohol etc...but, it can still be an issue for some people.

Saying "just turn it off" is to completely miss the point.

A compulsion overrides the rational thought process, making it very difficult to be objective and to "just turn it off".

Personal responsibility is important, and it is ultimately up to each person to do whatever they can to end destructive behaviour.

It's just not as simple as just stop.

That doesn't change the fact that turning it off is still the best option.

I totally agree that for some people that's too difficult.

If that's the case then you need to get help because your problems are bigger than FIFA.
  • Sean2890
    134 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Bigger picture, surely there is a government department we can get this issue raised to in order for an investigation, it’s bewildering that EA get away with their behaviour and affects on mental health
  • James Libby
    Sean2890 wrote: »
    Bigger picture, surely there is a government department we can get this issue raised to in order for an investigation, it’s bewildering that EA get away with their behaviour and affects on mental health

Or people could just take personal responsibility.

Either, or, really.
  • Pocketsquareguy
    6216 posts Big Money Move
    There probably isn’t a hobby on earth that is more destructive to someone’s mental health other than maybe boxing.
  • James Libby
    edited May 8
    There probably isn’t a hobby on earth that is more destructive to someone’s mental health other than maybe boxing.

Cigarettes
    Alcohol
    Drugs
    Base diving
    Sperlunking
    Russian roulette

But no, FIFA's the most dangerous hobby in the world (says the guy who posts literally everyday on these forms). Makes sense.
  • James Libby
    n2j2000 wrote: »
    For all the people saying “it’s just a game” or “don’t play it if you don’t like”, please stop commenting in this thread as you clearly haven’t read OP’s question properly.

My thoughts are as follows:-

Loot boxes are based on a gambling model. Gambling can become addictive.

I’ve never seen a game that causes some people to rage as much as I’ve seen in videos, smash multiple controllers, break monitors, punch desks/walls etc. as FIFA does.

The levels of stress that this game causes people are dangerously high. I expect a lot of people will end up with heart problems and high blood pressure because of it in the future.

I see that it causes people a lot of anxiety/depression due to rewards, trying to achieve certain ranks, playing competitively etc.

The time required to spend playing this game to hit those high rewards every week is excessively high and studies have proven the negative impact staring at a computer/TV screen for long hours has on the brain.

A lot of younger people are playing this game and being introduced to bad habits whilst they are still developing.

The game is based around gambling, trying to wind your opponents up ssshhhing, dabbing etc. win at all costs or die attitudes, but then due to things like bad servers, RNG and the thing we aren’t allowed to discuss on here, individual skill levels are severely dampened and you have to beat the game as well as your opponent.

We all know that EA as an organisation are geared 100% to making as much profit as humanly possible and that is their sole aim as a company, which is disappointing.

Personally I would like to see EA and FIFA audited by professional mental health workers and governments and forced to make improvements based on recommendations to help individuals that are suffering because of their model and the knock on effect this has on society.

OPs post literally wasn't about loot boxes packs or gambling at all. He made it very clear that that was a separate issue from what he was raising: The effect of GAMEPLAY on mental health.
  • James Libby
    n2j2000 wrote: »
    For all the people saying “it’s just a game” or “don’t play it if you don’t like”, please stop commenting in this thread as you clearly haven’t read OP’s question properly.

My thoughts are as follows:-

Loot boxes are based on a gambling model. Gambling can become addictive.

I’ve never seen a game that causes some people to rage as much as I’ve seen in videos, smash multiple controllers, break monitors, punch desks/walls etc. as FIFA does.

The levels of stress that this game causes people are dangerously high. I expect a lot of people will end up with heart problems and high blood pressure because of it in the future.

I see that it causes people a lot of anxiety/depression due to rewards, trying to achieve certain ranks, playing competitively etc.

The time required to spend playing this game to hit those high rewards every week is excessively high and studies have proven the negative impact staring at a computer/TV screen for long hours has on the brain.

A lot of younger people are playing this game and being introduced to bad habits whilst they are still developing.

The game is based around gambling, trying to wind your opponents up ssshhhing, dabbing etc. win at all costs or die attitudes, but then due to things like bad servers, RNG and the thing we aren’t allowed to discuss on here, individual skill levels are severely dampened and you have to beat the game as well as your opponent.

We all know that EA as an organisation are geared 100% to making as much profit as humanly possible and that is their sole aim as a company, which is disappointing.

Personally I would like to see EA and FIFA audited by professional mental health workers and governments and forced to make improvements based on recommendations to help individuals that are suffering because of their model and the knock on effect this has on society.

But bonus points for chiding people for not reading... after literally not reading yourself.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    Refrain from insults folks the conversation is on a good track here.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    4717 posts National Call-Up
    Compose yourselves gentlemen, no need to give them justification to close this interesting topic.
This discussion has been closed.