FIFA and mental health.

DIVO6K
29 posts Last Pick at the Park
I'm interested to hear whether people think FIFA is good for a person's mental health and wellbeing?

I lost interest in the game for about 1 month just before TOTS, in general I feel my mental health was much better in this period. Since playing again i've noticed I barely actually enjoy playing and almost feel compelled to play to better my squad/ coin stack. The sunk cost plays heavily on me and i feel my time will be 'wasted' if i don't continue playing even though in a couple months time it's all worthless anyway.

Genuinely interested to hear how people feel this game impacts their mental wellbeing, both good and bad? Cheers.

Comments

• BadSeedsFC
    1256 posts Professional
    It's really dangerous, man. A lot of videogames can trigger addiction, but this one in particular is something else...
  • Pooter
    4802 posts Big Money Move
    The game is too much of a grind, it was fun in FIFA 19, but I'm finding it too much in FIFA 20. It seems like those who self relegate are trying to tell us to quit the game
  • SomeNextGuy
    4596 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 7
    At the moment it's definitely not good for me.

I hadn't played this game since January. I had a relatively new job, gym 3-4 times a week, played football twice a week, went to Blades matches regularly, out with the girlfriend and family and friends regularly etc...

Then COVID 19 happened. All that disappeared, apart from working one full day a week and two half days...

Thankfully I know I'll probably sack it all off again at some point after all this is over. The game usually has be bored after a few months of solid playing anyway. But at the moment playing WL every week isn't great. I can't believe people manage to play it regularly when real life isn't cancelled.
  • Mercenary
    499 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited May 7
    If this game really is taking a negative toll on your life, it's time to uninstall. Yes the game is designed to be addicting by its nature, but real life itself is already hard and getting harder, no need for a stupid video game to put you down further.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    2985 posts National Call-Up
    Only if you let it. It's only a game. I'll be annoyed whilst I'm losing a game but after it's over I've forgotten about it.

It's only a game at the end of the day
  • ASX
    3044 posts National Call-Up
    It makes me angry and frustrated sometimes but in no way would I say it affects my mental health, anger and frustration shouldnt be likened to any sort of mental health issues.
  • razor_ro
    678 posts Semi-Pro
    Set aside that it’s a terrible game, with loads of bugs and problems and that it has terrible customer service - what makes me most mad is that I spent money on the game and on fifa points ... FUT should be free at minimum for the amount of $ people spend on it - even so it should debatable to play
  • Mercenary
    razor_ro wrote: »
    Set aside that it’s a terrible game, with loads of bugs and problems and that it has terrible customer service - what makes me most mad is that I spent money on the game and on fifa points ... FUT should be free at minimum for the amount of $ people spend on it - even so it should debatable to play
    I don't advocate spending money on FIFA points, but FUT should be free like MyClub in PES Lite, and if you want the other modes you have to buy the whole game.
  • Mercenary
    edited May 7
    DannySTFC wrote: »
    Great that nobody from EA seems to have woken up yet this morning, as all the other mental health threads have been closed down pretty quickly. At least we’ve got a half decent discussion going before it’s closed this time, up yours EA.

Why would they close the threads...scratch that.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    You can remove the disc and walk away for ever. Problem solved guys.
  • Jrmcsorley85
    676 posts An Exciting Prospect

You can also put down the needle, or can of cider, or betting slip. For some not so easy, your point is far of the mark.
  • TW1103
    2738 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great that nobody from EA seems to have woken up yet this morning, as all the other mental health threads have been closed down pretty quickly. At least we’ve got a half decent discussion going before it’s closed this time, up yours EA.

Myself, @EA_Roger and @GK93 recently started a conversation in our DMs about the threads being closed, as GK and I both expressed how unhappy we were that the issue wasn't being discussed properly, and the threads were closing.

We're still waiting on a reply from Roger, but hopefully he responds soon, and we can get positive discussions going soon. 👍
  • BuZuS
    990 posts Professional
    Jeez, why would they close threads were people constantly spout insults...? Weird...
  • Okocha10
    299 posts Sunday League Hero
    They’ve made the game far too competitive with weekend league & rivals. Everyone does what they can to reach the major rewards which really plays with your mental health, they need to change the reward system & make something less competitive more rewarding & less stressful
  • BorussenBernie09
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Seandimes wrote: »
    Im a mental health professional, and I wouldnt say FIFA by itself is bad for your mental wellbeing. If you play it in moderation, its just another game.
    That being said, Ultimate Team can definitely become an issue if you arent emotionally stable, or have an addictive personality. Its very easy to get caught in a cycle of constant frustration, with just enough reward to keep you playing.

If you find yourself frustrated with the game at times, thats perfectly normal. If FIFA affects your mood negatively over an extended period of time, thats where you need to step away for a while and reconsider your priorities. Theres no reason to play a game you dont enjoy.

Are you a therapist then? I suffer from a emotionally unstable personality disorder and on the one hand FUT thrills me like nothing else, but on the other hand it frustrates me like nothing else in my life does. In comparison to other videogames the level of concentration i need to have to play a DR or WL Game is higher than playing offline Games like Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider. FIFA just distracts me the most. And by saying that: I have a fulltime Job and two little Kids at home.
  • TW1103
    2738 posts Fans' Favourite
    EA_Roger wrote: »

We are well awake and this was flagged with us earlier today, I'm going to leave it for now but if it is closed down it's probably due to non constructive comments like these ones.

@GK93 & @TW1103, I'm willing to leave this one opened for now as long as the conversation given the times we are all going through I think people need to talk about things like this. This remains open if it stays constructive and it doesn't go too far.

Thanks mate, good move. Might be worth pinning some links at the top of the thread;

https://www.mind.org.uk
    https://www.samaritans.org
    https://www.thecalmzone.net
  • Stone_cold_tea93

You can also put down the needle, or can of cider, or betting slip. For some not so easy, your point is far of the mark.

If your talking about pack opening then yes I agree. We're not thought. We're talking about people playing the game. The gameplay aspect isn't addictive so it can be easily walked away from.
  • Jrmcsorley85
    676 posts An Exciting Prospect

If your talking about pack opening then yes I agree. We're not thought. We're talking about people playing the game. The gameplay aspect isn't addictive so it can be easily walked away from.

Pack opening is the game,and many have addictive nature that then affects mental state. Amazing how many people play this game, and get so involved mentally is unreal. But just pulling disk out is not as simple. Only trying to say that, not trying to have go or be negative to your view.
This discussion has been closed.