Chemistry Styles: Placebo or not? (Pace in particular)

Heppers
3451 posts National Call-Up
Has anyone tested whether players are actually any quicker with chemstyles that boost pace? Was disappointed to see Maguire was the BPL League SBC player, was hoping with a shadow he wouldn't feel like a slug, but of course he still does. Hence me wondering, has anyone actually tested it this year??

Comments

• Orison
    63915 posts Icon
    edited May 2020
    Got proven that they increase stats by as much as it states. But the pace difference doesn't mean as much as people think it should.

Also pace isn't just that pace stat, agility and balance play into it as well (as do animations and the player model). Maguire will always feel slow.
  • Heppers
    3451 posts National Call-Up
    Orison wrote: »
    Got proven that they increase stats by as much as it states. But the pace difference doesn't mean as much as people think it should.

Also pace isn't just that pace stat, agility and balance play into it as well. Maguire will always feel slow.

I never expect him to feel rapid but he should apparently have 85 acceleration and 89 sprint speed, yet he feels as if he still has 50 of each. As you say agility comes into it too, but someone like Maldini with the same agility still feels much faster
  • Orison
    63915 posts Icon
    Heppers wrote: »

Also pace isn't just that pace stat, agility and balance play into it as well. Maguire will always feel slow.

I never expect him to feel rapid but he should apparently have 85 acceleration and 89 sprint speed, yet he feels as if he still has 50 of each. As you say agility comes into it too, but someone like Maldini with the same agility still feels much faster

Maldini is way smaller, faster and yet not great this year.
  • Finesse_4days
    16436 posts World Class
    edited May 2020
    I used Prime Hierro with 73 pace + a shadow and he still felt slow AF, personally believe their impact is so miniscule that they only make a 1 or 2% difference so the base pace stat always has to be high.
  • Wyojasond
    16615 posts World Class
    I have POTM TAA and for the longest time I used Anchor on him. Got an untradeable shadow so I slapped that on him and the difference was HUGE! His speed was a needed and noticeable change with it. Players constantly try to blow past him on the wing and he catches them with ease now.

Like others have said, kind of depends on the players other attributes like balance and agility.
  • LFC Simon 98
    21275 posts Club Captain
    Deffo makes a difference. Belotti w Hunter (I know it wasted boosting his shooting but meh) is noticeably quicker
  • SupaNoodle1990
    31448 posts National Team Captain
    Proven or not, I’ve never felt any improvement, regardless of what player and what chem style.
  • Fish88
    257 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yea it's a weird one because I know about the fact they've been proven to work but I always look for and trust base stats before anything is applied
  • Scutch
    18330 posts World Class
    Everytime I share my team or a player with @DaveSaves he is (still) convinced that chemistry styles matter not one jot, and they don't do a damn thing. Let's be realistic, if a player is on 10 chem and a Basic chem style, the stat increase is certainly evident (shown on the chemistry style data). So adding another chem style will reduce ones from the Basic but add to a specific area (Pace or Shooting for example).

I genuinely don't know if they work or not. Inception seems to believe they 100% do, and he's tested them out a lot I guess.
  • Scutch
    18330 posts World Class

Also pace isn't just that pace stat, agility and balance play into it as well (as do animations and the player model). Maguire will always feel slow.

Got proven by who?
  • Gabbalala
    7197 posts Big Money Move
    I think they do work but pace will always feels less. You think putting a shadow on Maguire increases his pace, which it does, but you'll be defending against players with hunter on or close to 99 pace players anyway so it makes less difference that Maguire has shadow on..
  • ccooaattssyy
    16019 posts World Class
    Scutch wrote: »

Got proven by who?

Probably that PC Gamer Youtube channel who does pace tests etc.
  • Orison
    63915 posts Icon
    Scutch wrote: »

Got proven by who?

Proven by numerous people on reddit and youtube via the dribbling stat.

But the stat difference doesn't show as much ingame as people assume it would. Good luck trying to tell the difference between 90 and 95 agility and then claim that the card feels completely changed. It's just a minor change that helps in the long run for sure, but on a game to game basis it's hardly a difference like night and day.
  • Wyojasond
    16615 posts World Class
    I actually put an engine on Maguire to boost his balance and agility a bit. Was very useable after that. In the box against even the best dribblers he’s been a wall so far, but he’s gonna get beat by pace no matter what chem style you put on him.