People have lost any originality

Rossco160715
2638 posts Fans' Favourite
18 weekend league games and faced 4231 in every game.

Where is the thought and originality you’re supposed to have in football? It feels like I’m the only person who doesn’t use 4231.

It’s also boring because every single opponent plays the exact same way. What a bunch of pathetic sheep.

My weekend record is decent enough, I just don’t have the motivation to finish my games on this utterly boring game.

Comments

• Jimmy89
    1026 posts Professional
    You know what’s coming when you see 4-5-1 on the loading screen 🙄
  • Bobo23
    4809 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2020
    I play a 442 and get decent results with it and have as much fun as I can with it.

4231 is so boring, people don't try anything out in this game. Half the players that use 4231 would probably have better success with a different formation.

But everyone just wants to copy each other and play the exact same way. I honestly couldn't play the game that way, I love using wingers, 2 strikers, attacking fullbacks etc.

No one has any style or personality in this game, everyone just plays like the same broken robot!
  • Denz
    3183 posts National Call-Up
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.

The game doesn't reward you for stepping out of the basic patterns of the 4231.

Unless it's across the floor to the back stick you can't even cross, which is one of the most basic and well used tactics irl.
  • Ballist1x
    3904 posts National Call-Up
    Like what I dont understand is if you're going to long ball it, cut it back and repeat what's the point in playing?

• AvfcGreatGuy
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Changed from 4-2-3-1 to 4-2-2-2 so much more fun using players like maddison, sancho and SS lucas
  • SpiderMonkeybpg
    3508 posts National Call-Up
    3-5-2 all day
  • Colt_seevers
    1624 posts Play-Off Hero
    Horrible to play against. With the added ‘come back’ ‘stay back’ instructions it’s made this years version arguably the most boring FIFA to date.
    Especially difficult to play against in poor gameplay due to packing the midfield. Dosent even matter what depth these guys play on as the defence will still fall back.
  • SpiderMonkeybpg
    2B168745-80F6-4E5B-A44B-BF15E429B251.jpg
    If I die I die. But I had been dreaming of them 2 France icons up top and I have done it. I don’t care for any other players anymore.
  • Scrub39
    120 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    3-5-2 all day

• Jackioo
    63 posts Park Captain
    I always start 451 and end 451 for me the most fun and not always same goals
  • Diggy
    15600 posts World Class
    edited April 2020
    Sheep follow the herd
  • RexAnglo1066
    3894 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2020
    I don't get this big thing about formations, and in particular the 4-2-3-1.

It has strengths, yes - but it has weaknesses too...and it is much more about the cards a person has and how good they are at the game.

After all, if you play the game as intended you'll be selecting control of each player nearest the ball at any given moment and will sometimes pull players out of position, or go on a run with a full back and leave one wing exposed, or push up on a high line and leave space to be hit on a counter.

All this happens with a lot of players, and the ability to create space is possible against any formation, and space can be exploited.

Personally, I don't use the 4-2-3-1 as I like wingers (and wide players in general), so I adopt a 3-2-4-1 or 3-5-2 exclusively (or occasionally a 5-4-1).

The 3-2-4-1 in particular allows me two attack minded wingers.

A natural LM and RM and then two more advanced LW/LF and RW/RF players who spearhead a 3 man attack with a striker in the middle.

This allows me to get it out wide, bypassing the more congested midfield of some formations, and in particular draw the left and right sided C(A)Ms of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 out of position.

Yes, with 3 atb and less men in the centre of the park it isn't without vulnerabilities...but, that's the point.

All formations are a trade off, a compromise.
    Post edited by RexAnglo1066 on
  • Rossco160715
    The 4231 feels like I’m playing against 9 defenders whilst the opponent changes me with his striker.

This is boring and absolutely pathetic for a football game to be set up to encourage this. It’s utterly dreadful.
  • XRenz
    84 posts Park Captain
    5-B391-DDC-D422-463-D-B11-C-6399730606-BA.jpg

Being trashed in WL currently with 4 wins and 7 losses. Mostly facing the same formation teams with the usual players but I’m just enjoying it out since I have no other options. I try and play as normally as I could. I couldn’t stand using and playing the same overused crappy tactics in the game.
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    4-2-3-1 has been one of the 'meta' formations for the last ten years of FUT. I've given it a go in every edition I've played, and every time I've struggled to create as many chances as I'd like, and the flow of my team has just felt off.

Defensively it's supposed to be overpowered, but I find many other formations much more easy to defend with.

3-5-2 is feeling the best for me this year.
  • Rossco160715
    It has been however this year, literally no other formation is being used. It’s absolutely boring.

That’s now 21/21 games against 4231. Where is the variety?
  • newguy
    2274 posts Fans' Favourite
    Jackioo wrote: »
    I always start 451 and end 451 for me the most fun and not always same goals

How’s 451?
  • sparky123
    399 posts Sunday League Hero
    I was getting thrashed this WL using 4-2-3-1 but I’ve gone back to 4-4-2 and won the last 3 to go 8-6 so far. Much more balanced and 2 strikers is so much better
  • Bevlarrrr
    1242 posts Professional
    edited April 2020
    Seeing a fair few 352 comments in here yet I rarely play against it. I actually use 352 aswell. Really enjoyable and a lot of variety about the style of play
  • Ben
    5471 posts Big Money Move
    In the last WL every single opponent I faced used 41212 narrow. Wonder if it’s a geographical thing.
  • Quase
    606 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited April 2020
    sparky123 wrote: »
    I was getting thrashed this WL using 4-2-3-1 but I’ve gone back to 4-4-2 and won the last 3 to go 8-6 so far. Much more balanced and 2 strikers is so much better
    I play 4-4-2 all the time (in any FIFA). I have a more defense 4-4-2 with full backs staying back to avoid counters on the wing and I have 4-5-1 for total lockdown. In the offense I can switch to 4-3-2-1 (mind you, not 4-2-3-1) or 4-2-2-2 all out attack.

I just got wrecked by a team that started out 4-5-1 (or was it 4-3-3) and I dominated most of the game without bigger problems. I was up pretty early 1:0 and had a lot more chances. Then he had a lucky goal in the end of the game. 1:1, but got a red card straight after his goal. So I thought, it could still be possible to get the win in overtime as my team was still quite fit and his players were not. Although I had a bad feeling at this point. He switched to 4-2-3-1 (dunno when, probably after the red card) with his 10 remaining men and I did not get any ball anywhere anymore. A lot of possession, but no room, no chance to shoot. Nothing, nada, niente ... he scored a 1:2 in the 115th minute, so I moved everything up front with 4-2-2-2, still no chance! Game ended 1:3, end of the story!

Now I have added the option to play 4-2-3-1 as my most defense tactic to fall back on. I am sick of things like the story above, it happens far to often and it's always me against 4-2-3-1. I just can't win against this tactic. I think I have tried it before already some month ago, but it does not work for me as it works for my opponents. Maybe I don't have the instructions right, maybe not the fastest players (I have Werner, Bellarabi and Messi, but not Kent, Adama, Mbappe, Saint-Maximin or in the case above Neymar) or maybe I just can't play this way. Dunno, will see, I usually don't fall back to full defense, but if it helps ...
  • ha032742
    48193 posts Moderator
    I’m using 4222 this weekend if that’s any comfort @Rossco160715 :D
  • Rossco160715
    Ben wrote: »
    In the last WL every single opponent I faced used 41212 narrow. Wonder if it’s a geographical thing.
    Could be. I only match Germans.
    ha032742 wrote: »
    I’m using 4222 this weekend if that’s any comfort @Rossco160715 :D

It’s refreshing if anything 😂
  • Rossco160715
    25/25 against 4231 now.

I am hopeful for the 30 to show how ridiculous this game is.
  • Rossco160715
    Nevermind. Next game the person paused at the beginning and it appears is using 4411.

25/26 is it then.
  • Kaldmann_X
    412 posts Sunday League Hero
    Jimmy89 wrote: »

How is 451 different from other formations? If you think 451 means 4231.
  • Kove
    4847 posts Big Money Move
    Kaldmann_X wrote: »
    Jimmy89 wrote: »

How is 451 different from other formations? If you think 451 means 4231.

451 has the least amount of links so you can manipulate for chemistry and change using custom tactics
  • Rizzywizzy6786
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    People had originality?
  • SpiderMonkeybpg
    Bevlarrrr wrote: »
    Seeing a fair few 352 comments in here yet I rarely play against it. I actually use 352 aswell. Really enjoyable and a lot of variety about the style of play

We are a rare breed
  • Renamed1049161219
    1140 posts Professional
    edited April 2020
    I must be the only one who can't use 4231. I'm trash when I try it

Only times Ive got elite are with 442 or 433(4)