Question: Breaking down people who play drop back

Ballerson
560 posts An Exciting Prospect
Because of corona, I've now had time to play WL for two consecutive weekends so I am still learning the tactics and gamesmanship of WL.

For those of you who are consistently good, how do you break down a drop back defense?

When I see LaPorte as a cb, I know I am in for a grueling, grinding game.

In normal football, say in FA Cup or DFB Pokal, second or third division teams put most of their guys in the box, its extra physical so the less skilled team can frustrate and interrupt and actually hurt the more skilled team....so the more skilled teams typically score goals off headers or if the more skilled team can draw out the box sitters, one can counter attack.

Since heading is basically nerfed in Fifa 20, what do you to successfully break down the drop backers who use LaPorte?? I am good at possession and working triangles to find avenues in the box to get off shots, but I also find the peeps who use drop back get lucky ❤️❤️❤️❤️ gk who make dumb ❤️❤️❤️❤️ fingertip saves -- if the gk is not on steroids, I can get a lead usually and keep it. I find I outshoot drop backers by 7-16 shots.

How do you successfully break down drop backers whose gks are on droids and somehow, the cbs miraculously recover if and when I get behind them or they don't get called for a foul?

Also, how is it that cbs can just smash the hell outta a striker or cam, not even play ball from behind, and not get called....then my d makes a whiff in front of the offense and its a deadly free kick? How do you who go 22- 8 or who win in the upper wl categories evade or put up or work around all this donkey dung junk??

Smarmy troll like comments not welcome.....

Comments

• FijiBoy
    1321 posts Professional
    I played 24 4231 users and drop back abusers.
    Managed to beat 20 with 4222. 5 depth, 2 width(1-2 passing) and drop back(only because there is a fast winger waiting like a headless chicken for a through ball to score an easy goal). Had all my front 4 on stay forward and back 6 on stay back. Used alot of possession to open space by doing heaps of passing in opponents half with CAM and STs. Hope that helps
  • Rsscllghn
    212 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    FijiBoy wrote: »
    I played 24 4231 users and drop back abusers.
    Managed to beat 20 with 4222. 5 depth, 2 width(1-2 passing) and drop back(only because there is a fast winger waiting like a headless chicken for a through ball to score an easy goal). Had all my front 4 on stay forward and back 6 on stay back. Used alot of possession to open space by doing heaps of passing in opponents half with CAM and STs. Hope that helps

Don't take offence but sounds more like you are part of the problem not the solution.
  • Hammer316
    775 posts Semi-Pro
    41212 narrow with fullbacks on balanced or get forward. Depth 6 everything else balanced. This gives you alot of options but leaves you open to counter when your fullbacks are up the field. It's the most reliable way I've found to break down these anti football freaks.
  • WorcsEverton
    272 posts Sunday League Hero
    I love the forward pass (Xbox LB and pass). It almost always finds my own player which is novel in this game. Not sure how but it just seems to thread right through opponents, even tight gaps or obscure angles. From then though you have to be so quick or have a strong beastly forward who doesn't get pushed off the ball before you can shoot.
    It's not a foolproof plan, just works for me. Proper tedious matches all the same.