From 10-1 to 13-17. All because of wired connection?

ASlowPotato
1017 posts Professional
7 disconnects. All I did was hard wire to modem as I figured it would help with WL being overloaded.

Every single game was laggy and unresponsive. What is this?

Comments

• ASlowPotato
    1017 posts Professional
    It's the first time this fifa I've finished on less than 17 and I usually only play 20-25 games.
  • JPRM71
    3148 posts National Call-Up
    The better your connection the more your opponent gets ‘help’ in game. Lag compensation system, it’s EAs way of punishing people with proper internet and allowing peasants with dial up to prosper.
  • ASlowPotato
    1017 posts Professional
    JPRM71 wrote: »
    The better your connection the more your opponent gets ‘help’ in game. Lag compensation system, it’s EAs way of punishing people with proper internet and allowing peasants with dial up to prosper.

Surely this isnt actually real??
  • Dave2791
    1381 posts Professional
    JPRM71 wrote: »

Surely this isnt actually real??

Lag compensation and surprise mechanics. Bet you're surprised now
  • Delboy13710
    7811 posts League Winner
    Dunno why you play through it as soon as it turns laggy I switch it off . Rather not finish my games then play through slow gameplay
  • ASlowPotato
    1017 posts Professional
    I'm just struggling to comprehend what I've witnessed in terms of delay. All I did was go up couple hundred MB in connection. I'm just looking for an excuse but is it actually a thing?
  • Dave2791
    1381 posts Professional
    I'm just struggling to comprehend what I've witnessed in terms of delay. All I did was go up couple hundred MB in connection. I'm just looking for an excuse but is it actually a thing?

Yes, if you have better internet than your opponent, lag compensation kicks in, basically slowing down your gameplay so your opponent doesn't feel lag
  • ASlowPotato
    1017 posts Professional
    Maybe it's time I tried playing the 'meta'. Is it still 4231 drop back? I cant keep up. I just play 442 with the little and large combo. Didnt lose a game of rivals all week, then 10-1 in weekend league.

To finish 13-17 is embarrassing.

Also, I wish I could get a proper xbox controller for PS4. The controller is horrific.
  • ASlowPotato
    1017 posts Professional
    Just played 5 rivals games on wireless. Won all 5. Was a different game entirely.
  • BiigDee
    4687 posts Big Money Move
    I’ve always been wired, ping always around 20 and it’s unplayable. I and others have been saying for a long time it’s 100% lag compensation or similar. No other logical reason for it.
  • DicaniosGod
    5602 posts Big Money Move
    So the way forward is to go back to wireless for rivals/wl?? 😳
  • Drachenfells
    1007 posts Professional
    Also helps if you stream a film or something on a laptop on the same network, its a stupid system prone to abuse, I always have a better more fluid game if the wife is watching youtube or amazon prime!!
  • Aguy9916
    1045 posts Professional
    I had a completely opposite experience to this lately... moved home and was without proper internet for 3 months.

Got a 4g hotspot and sim and tried that... absolutely awful! The stats I was getting should have made it passable to be fair but I think it was more down to an unstable connection... constant speed up lag and stuttering and basically unplayable... my opponents were battering me.

Bought a better 4g router with the ability to go wired to the xbox... speeds and stats improved and so did the experience (slightly) ... it's still not great though and I often have games where everything is against me due to delay.

I can provide the last part to this forced experiment this week... as my line is now in and router is being delivered tommorow, so I can get back on a quality connection at long last and hopefully back to some enjoyment from my games.
  • ASlowPotato
    1017 posts Professional
    The missus just went on Disney + to watch a movie and my game got even smoother.

This is actually crazy!!