What's the point of the Alt-Tab disconnect?

SomeGit
86 posts Park Captain
edited March 2020
Just played a rival game where a background task started and it killed the perfomance, but I can't just alt-tab and stop it because the guys that did the PC port think that disconnecting on alt-tab is an effective anti-cheat.

Seriously, what's the point of this? The real cheaters already have ways to disable this "feature" yet legitmate users like us have to fear the risk of a rougue notification giving you a loss. Just remove this useless feature, it prevents nothing and helps no one.

Comments

• This used to happen to me very frustrating. Try closing all your tabs with task manager so nothing pops up.
  • SomeGit
    86 posts Park Captain
    edited March 2020
    This used to happen to me very frustrating. Try closing all your tabs with task manager so nothing pops up.

I usually do, but sometimes I forget to do it. The point is that this "feature" shouldn't be in the game, sometime you need to alt-tab for something and this "feature" does nothing, it prevents nothing and only serves to punish legit players, no other game does this and there is no point for EA to do it in FIFA.
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    425 posts Sunday League Hero
    Make sure you don't have any applications running in the background and disable the auto-update feature of any of your programs as these can interfere causing game to minimize. I also use Windows Update Blocker tool for Windows 10 that way it will be absolutely certain that this won't start attempting to update in the background.

If you have virus scanner software, make sure these scheduled tasks are disabled. Ah, forgot to mention Telemetry! Disable that too! There is a guide on youtube with the debloater tool that takes care of that. It disabled telemetry service and task schedulers related to this. Many gamers have complained that this causes their game to either crash or minimize on Windows 10.

Many years ago FIFA 09/10/11 PC I believe used to have this cheat where Alt+Tab would result in game freezing for your opponent and that if you then quit you get a loss. EA fixed this problem by making sure that Alt+Tab and Alt+F4 would result in an instant loss. I remember suffering from this problem for 6 years on PC!

I know it is a pain to have your game disconnect if you Alt+Tab in a middle of an online game, but I believe it is essential! It prevents many potential cheaters from trying to take advantage of such attempt to lag your game.
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    Yes, basically what happened with the old FIFA Alt+Tab would result in immediate disconnection (loss) only if you pressed Alt+Tab again to relaunch the FIFA 11/12 game.

But if the cheater left the game minimized followed by Alt+Tab then his game did not disconnect with the old cheating method!! So in this scenario the opponent falls victim to a loading animation loop screen, if he/she then quits, they lose! And the cheater who left his game minimized using Alt+Tab wins!

It was a sophisticated cheating trick. The cheater who did Alt+Tab needed to make sure his opponent disconnected, only then Alt+Tab did not result in their loss, but instead it gave them a win!

So how did the cheater find out if their opponent really gave up followed by the Alt+Tab?

Well the cheater simply checked at that time on the FIFA stats website to see if the win was recorded. If the stat was not yet reflected then the cheater continued to patiently wait until the opponent eventually became fed-up and quit using Alt+F4.

Many FIFA gamers are too young to remember this and that's why they are angry at Alt+Tab causing them the loss now. They simply don't realize that it was implemented when people were cheating using the method that I mentioned above.
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    Well, I'm not sure how you will feel if your opponent Alt+Tabs the game and then loads up Torrent, Skype, YouTube, etc and starts lagging your game intentionally when they are losing. I certainly won't be happy about that.

If people use Alt+Tab for the purpose of bad sportsmanship, then I have no complaints about this causing game disconnect. Because after-all, I will be questioning why someone would want to minimize their game in the middle of an online game? This casts suspicions. I mean, unless you are frustrated that you aren't able to cheat, that can be my only speculation why you are so angry with this feature.

There are players with bad sportsmanship even in online chess where many times in standard games they waste the clock intentionally in a losing position instead of clicking the resign button. I can sense similar acts of poor sportsmanship in FIFA as well.

Actually as a matter of fact, in PES Alt+Tabbers are able to lag-out the match and force disconnection cheat to avoid loss. People are going to attempt to do the same in FIFA.

There is enough problems with cheating in FIFA PC version already and by removing the Alt+Tab disconnection, it will give greater possibilities for cheaters to exploit further.
  • SomeGit
    86 posts Park Captain
    You can't that in FIFA anymore though, excluding seasons H2H and even that may have changed, all online game modes in FUT and elsewhere use dedicated servers so if you lag the connection it only affects you with speed up lag. PES uses P2P so that's why both are punished.
  • EA_Rtas
    2590 posts EA Community Manager
    Removed some posts in here that were basically advice to look up and install cheats. Don't do that, it is a breach of ToS and will get you banned.
  • Reulol
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Some lame excuse for a anti-cheat measure
  • sky77x
    2 posts Ball Boy
    Ever disconnect like ALT+TAB, loose all game after last update
  • jimcwx
    60 posts Park Captain
    edited May 2020
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    Removed some posts in here that were basically advice to look up and install cheats. Don't do that, it is a breach of ToS and will get you banned.

Hey @EA_Rtas , I would like to ask you a question as a human being to another human being.

Can you name a single other video game that costs $59.99 that features online multiplayer where the anti-cheat system is you can't alt-tab mid game?

EDIT: I'll even broaden the scope, a single video game that costs $59.99 that's made past the year 2005 that features online multiplayer where the anti-cheat system is you can't alt tab mid game?
  • DeadlyJake
    1 posts Ball Boy
    edited July 18
    Then sort it use your common sense then people wont install cheats
  • hhoverflow
    375 posts Sunday League Hero
    jimcwx wrote: »

Hey @EA_Rtas , I would like to ask you a question as a human being to another human being.

Can you name a single other video game that costs $59.99 that features online multiplayer where the anti-cheat system is you can't alt-tab mid game?

EDIT: I'll even broaden the scope, a single video game that costs $59.99 that's made past the year 2005 that features online multiplayer where the anti-cheat system is you can't alt tab mid game?

Bro, he is a community manager. His job is just to eat ❤️❤️❤️❤️ because. He knows the situation is a mess, but probably his team decided to ignore everything related to that.

Think about a greedy an shady company.