Does anybody use slow players?

cdbuck26
3914 posts National Call-Up
Was recently doing the icon swaps for rivals, and as my club isn't as stacked as many others around, I've been forced to use players I normally wouldn't even consider. For the La Liga wins, I came across an untradable TOTW moments James Rodriguez, who has excellent stats other than his 56 pace.

I decided to try him out, and he was fantastic, didn't even really notice the lack of pace too much- which draws me to think about other underpriced players with low pace. Anybody use players with low pace, and if so, which ones are worth trying out?

Comments

• Antparry92
    20640 posts Club Captain
    I hate my untradeable scream one as it is. His dribbling and passing just seem subpar
  • cdbuck26
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    I hate my untradeable scream one as it is. His dribbling and passing just seem subpar

huh, maybe I got lucky with mine then, and slow players aren't actually ever usable :lol:
    I threw a maestro on him, and basically just used him to play off of and his passing and shooting were superb.
  • Antparry92
    20640 posts Club Captain
    cdbuck26 wrote: »

huh, maybe I got lucky with mine then, and slow players aren't actually ever usable :lol:
    I threw a maestro on him, and basically just used him to play off of and his passing and shooting were superb.
    I’ve tried to use him but he just wastes an important spot in my team. He’s not strong enough to hold people off the ball either which frustrates me as well
  • cdbuck26

I’ve tried to use him but he just wastes an important spot in my team. He’s not strong enough to hold people off the ball either which frustrates me as well

I didn't look at his strength at all, and I was so impressed with it that I did look at it, and was so surprised to find out that it was around 65! Honestly at this point, I'm just thinking I had a lucky experience with him. 7 goals 4 assists in 6 games though, in a mediocre squad against self relegators, caught my attention.

Just makes me think as I have 900k to fill the striker and CAM spots in my squad, and not sure who to go for and if I need not be crossing off players without tons of pace.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    27427 posts Player of the Year
    Pace :heart:
  • Legend Killer
    1728 posts Play-Off Hero
    Not sure if PIM Lampard is classed as ‘slow’ but he’s still pretty good!
  • Joestoe
    10581 posts Has That Special Something
    My slowest player is PIM Hierro, but he's still not very slow.
  • RebelRob
    7189 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah, I use toty Mbappe.

The other night he got caught over 20 odd yards by some random non rare gold cb who had something like 72 pace, so Mbappe can’t have much more than that 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • cdbuck26

Think he's worth going for in swaps? Can't make up my mind on which is most worth it and I'm not sure if I want to reach for 15/16.
  • cdbuck26
    RebelRob wrote: »
    Yeah, I use toty Mbappe.

The other night he got caught over 20 odd yards by some random non rare gold cb who had something like 72 pace, so Mbappe can’t have much more than that 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry for your loss. Better to discard him now then let there be a chance of that happening again.
  • DoD_Jester
    27291 posts Player of the Year
    Nope, my slowest player is gattuso
  • Diggy
    15542 posts World Class
    No my slowest player is 91 Zidane
  • Legend Killer
    1728 posts Play-Off Hero

Think he's worth going for in swaps? Can't make up my mind on which is most worth it and I'm not sure if I want to reach for 15/16.

He’s pretty good but obviously not elite level, as a Chelsea fan; I just had to get him.

As a neutral, I’d probably be more inclined to say that Overmars would be the better choice imo.
  • BayernBru
    1471 posts Professional
    @cdbuck26 do you have Futmas Santi Cazorla rotting away in your club by any chance?

If so, give him a shot. When I use him I play him at CF in a 4411. I don't use a chemistry style that affects the pace stats (I use maestro,) and his 70 pace doesn't bother me. The 5*5* combination along with brilliant passing, dribbling and shooting (especially his finesse shots) more than make up for his lack of pace. He's a really fun but also a very effective card.

• Pauldejong6
    7643 posts League Winner
    edited March 2020
    Slow is under 90 right?
  • Antparry92
    20640 posts Club Captain
    Unless they’re extremely strong they’re useless this year. This is coming from someone who use to write guides for slow build up play and hated using quicker players
  • SweetJesus101
    5223 posts Big Money Move
    nesta and ballack.. and sometimes cazorla when i play some games with a santander team/hybrid.. always try to put him in the team for the nice 5 weak foot
  • AjaxLegends
    4037 posts National Call-Up
    Keane and Litmanen I guess at the positions there in (striker and CDM) although I’m sure you mean players at 65 pace and below.
  • Swanz05
    5560 posts Big Money Move
    After a lot of years at this I'm not good enough to use slow defenders/attackers halfway through the cycle. Laporte's always good for a short time after release but try catching/tracking anyone with him now. Slow cm's are ok but that's about it imo. Scrub all this for laggy gameplay & just use Morgan.
  • dark_galaxy20
    237 posts Sunday League Hero
    kane until last week , with finisher :blush: everyshot from everywhere = goal! (false 9)
  • SYMMO19
    1590 posts Play-Off Hero
    Pace imo is only essential on fullbacks unless playing at a very high level. I used the team below on 8 depth 4231 at 1750 skill points and won 3 out of 4 yesterday.

POTM Courtois
    Moments Ramos 89 pace
    Scream Pique 72 pace
    Mid Moore 66 pace
    Future stars Tierney 94 pace
    Mid Makelele 78 pace
    Flashback Vidal 81 pace
    Futmas Cazorla 70 pace
    Futmas Modric 77 pace
    Red Pick 86 James Rodriguez 56 pace
    POTM Suarez 79 pace.

I personally don't get why the sheep are obsessed with the "meta". This trash is so inconsistent and random you might as well try and make it interesting by being different.
  • nsholmberg11
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yes, all the time. Zlatan and James are the more obvious ones but I use players I want/desire. I try not to use slow wingers or fullbacks though, mostly just central players
  • ORANGEeffect05
    27427 posts Player of the Year
    3tunrs.jpg

:trollface: