Why do we have lag/delay and how to fix it?

RexAnglo1066
3259 posts National Call-Up
edited March 7
So, I'm not the most tech savvy person when it comes to server infrastructure and what causes lag etc...

I mean, I have a rough idea, but I wondered if those with a more accurate understanding could help me, and maybe some other forum users, to appreciate what it is that is causing such terrible gameplay for so many people, what can and must be done to fix it, why E.A hasn't done it already, and is it something you now consider their top priority?

It is clear that this is one of, if not THE, biggest issue(s) facing the game.

A big part of the frustration, and growing resentment, is this issue and how it affects the gameplay experience for so many; and how much it angers people to see the vast profits E.A are making whilst investment into the game are non-existent.

So, if anyone can educate me (and others) it would be appreciated.

I doubt it'll change much, as I think we all know E.A are aware of customer feedback on this issue...how could they not be aware?

Key questions)

1) What causes the delay that players experience?

2) Why is it still an issue after years of complaints?

3) What must E.A do to fix it?

4) Do we think they ever will (and if not, what should we do?)

Thanks for any feedback in advance, guys.

Comments

• Mackie17
    8460 posts League Winner
    More hamsters.

EA are setting up a Gofundme as we speak.
  • RexAnglo1066
    Mackie17 wrote: »
    More hamsters.

EA are setting up a Gofundme as we speak.

They must have a vast underground bunker filled a million muscled super hamsters running on a giant wheel.
  • Boysie91
    11366 posts Has That Special Something
    EA would answer "It's your end maybe you should buy Fifa 21 ultimate edition and see if it's better for you"
  • RexAnglo1066
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    EA would answer "It's your end maybe you should buy Fifa 21 ultimate edition and see if it's better for you"

Or, something like: "The solution to lag is more Fifa points".
  • Mackie17
    8460 posts League Winner
    It's actually only a team of 5 and one of them has a sore leg which is why we are getting worse connection atm. They are only given the tears of teenage boys as sustinance, the overload in salt has contributed to cardiovascular problems. But there's a fella called Dan down the road who's watched a few Bondi vet episodes and sells speed so should be able to sort them out
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    We’ve been told before that it’s all in our heads, that it’s 110% us and not them, and last weekend they even blamed Virgin Media who consequently couldn’t get ahold of EA to resolve, they were trying to reach out on Twitter (and also turned out whilst Virgin users were getting a unique error the server issues were clearly impacting everyone).

The issues aren’t clear, not least because they refuse to even acknowledge any issue but for every 1000 people saying the connections are awful, some bright spark jumps up saying it’s our internet because they have amazing connections and EA likely look at that and go “oh, see, we told you it was all fine”.

Personally I have great connection on any other game I play, streaming Netflix or Prime, BT Sport, even play CoD and watch the game as well if I want to without any issue. But FIFA? Damn. I can’t tell you the last time I had a game where it just felt normal.

• Viking_Beard
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    There will be a statement in the coming weeks stating...

Hello FIFA fans,

We have listened to your feedback and will be making some adjustments to the delay and server issues some are having.

In FIFA 21 we will be taking the following actions to fix this issue;

1, We will be reducing the stamina of players. We know this will work due to this action fixing any problem players are having with any overpowered problem in the game.

2, We will be releasing promos which will contain Ben Yedder every Friday but we will be adding an extra promo in on every Wednesday too. This will help with server issues because our revenue will be that much higher we can employ more deva to tweak stamina to help with point 1

3, we will be reducing the amount of real game faces on our prime icons. We feel the servers will have an easier job if we just put generic faces on some of those players you watched while growing up.

Thanks
    The FIFA Team
  • RexAnglo1066
    edited March 7
    We’ve been told before that it’s all in our heads, that it’s 110% us and not them, and last weekend they even blamed Virgin Media who consequently couldn’t get ahold of EA to resolve, they were trying to reach out on Twitter (and also turned out whilst Virgin users were getting a unique error the server issues were clearly impacting everyone).

The issues aren’t clear, not least because they refuse to even acknowledge any issue but for every 1000 people saying the connections are awful, some bright spark jumps up saying it’s our internet because they have amazing connections and EA likely look at that and go “oh, see, we told you it was all fine”.

Personally I have great connection on any other game I play, streaming Netflix or Prime, BT Sport, even play CoD and watch the game as well if I want to without any issue. But FIFA? Damn. I can’t tell you the last time I had a game where it just felt normal.

It must get to the point where it's obvious to them that people don't buy that excuse.

When people have no issues on any other game, and it is affecting so many, surely the penny must drop?

Yet, if they simply refuse to acknowledge the issue what can you do?

The issue this past week with the guy whose name we shall not speak highlights how detached E.A seem to be.

There's no human face that people can engage with and get a genuine, human response.

It's all automated replies and corporate blurb put out on a Twitter page.

E.A, in my opinion, need to have a specific person, with a proper position created, whose sole responsibility is to be the human face of the company.

Who will speak directly to the community at large on important issues and will give honest, mature, feedback and seek to relay the position of the company to us and relay our concerns and creative ideas to the company.

So, hopefully, you end up with a global corporation with a small business approach to customer service.

I fail to see why this isn't the guiding ethos of such a company.

Are they really that divorced from reality and obsessed with profit above all else?
    (I say that without naivety, as it is possible to be both profit focused and player focused, just look at Epic with Fortnite).
  • Dave2791
    1381 posts Professional
    So, I'm not the most tech savvy person when it comes to server infrastructure and what causes lag etc...

I mean, I have a rough idea, but I wondered if those with a more accurate understanding could help me, and maybe some other forum users, to appreciate what it is that is causing such terrible gameplay for so many people, what can and must be done to fix it, why E.A hasn't done it already, and is it something you now consider their top priority?

A big part of the frustration, and growing resentment, is this issue and how it affects the gameplay experience for so many; and how much it angers people to see the vast profits E.A are making whilst investment into the game are non-existent.

I doubt it'll change much, as I think we all know E.A are aware of customer feedback on this issue...how could they not be aware?

Key questions)

Man, huge mistake, you didn't tag ROGER, that's why you haven't received an answer
  • CosmicFuzz
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    The lawyers won't allow then to admit there are problems with the game, as soon as they do expect a load of class action lawsuits to follow.
    They know there are problems, I'm pretty sure they are trying their best to try and fix it under whatever limitations the team have imposed upon them, but from our point of view as players it's yet another in a ever growing list of problems. One day we'll all get the game we deserve, FIFA or PES doesn't matter, I just hope I'm not to old to enjoy it!!
  • RexAnglo1066
    CosmicFuzz wrote: »
    The lawyers won't allow then to admit there are problems with the game, as soon as they do expect a load of class action lawsuits to follow.
    They know there are problems, I'm pretty sure they are trying their best to try and fix it under whatever limitations the team have imposed upon them, but from our point of view as players it's yet another in a ever growing list of problems. One day we'll all get the game we deserve, FIFA or PES doesn't matter, I just hope I'm not to old to enjoy it!!

It ends up as a no win situation in that scenario.

If they don't have to acknowledge the problems then they won't have any pressure to fix them, and by not fixing them the problems continue, but they won't acknowledge the problems...round and round.

It actually let's them off the hook.
  • RexAnglo1066
    Dave2791 wrote: »

Key questions)

Man, huge mistake, you didn't tag ROGER, that's why you haven't received an answer

I didn't think of that, to be honest.

Anyway, I think Roger is limited in what he can say or do.

I felt someone with some expertise in this kind of thing could have enlightened is all.
  • Anarki301
    358 posts Sunday League Hero
    To answer this it would require that somebody write a 100 page long paper to cover everything and it would be meaningless if it came from somebody outside not knowing any data, but ea has so much data it's impossible that they don't know, well, not a solution, but at least a big improvement on how things are right now, even if it means the solution is impossible to implement or it's not practical or it would change things drastically in some ways, I'm saying, even if they know that solution is not possible for what ever reason they still know what is the problem.

My personal experience is that the biggest problem in online fut is location matchmaking, it's ridiculous and it's a huge problem for years with this server side gaming, but they always keep it like this, it must be something that is not easy for them to do, from a competitive point i guess, anyway, I think better location matchmaking in fut would improve my online experience immensely.
  • RexAnglo1066
    edited March 7
    Anarki301 wrote: »
    To answer this it would require that somebody write a 100 page long paper to cover everything and it would be meaningless if it came from somebody outside not knowing any data, but ea has so much data it's impossible that they don't know, well, not a solution, but at least a big improvement on how things are right now, even if it means the solution is impossible to implement or it's not practical or it would change things drastically in some ways, I'm saying, even if they know that solution is not possible for what ever reason they still know what is the problem.

My personal experience is that the biggest problem in online fut is location matchmaking, it's ridiculous and it's a huge problem for years with this server side gaming, but they always keep it like this, it must be something that is not easy for them to do, from a competitive point i guess, anyway, I think better location matchmaking in fut would improve my online experience immensely.

Thanks for the detail.

You are, of course, quite right that they have vast amounts of data related to this issue and they are obviously of the mind that it will cost money to upgrade, and at present why bother?

People complain, they get annoyed, but they keep playing.

Why, as global multinational, would you expend resources when your customers aren't forcing you to do so?

As we've all said before, until people stop buying packs, stop playing weekend league etc...and do so in huge numbers, numbers that have a real and immediate impact on their bottom line, it'll be business as usual.

The problem then will be that even if they do invest will anyone be left to care?
  • Berlus
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited March 7
    Lol today is a All time low. 2 sec delay...in 2020 online game!!!! Just Wow
    Post edited by Berlus on
  • RexAnglo1066
    Berlus wrote: »
    Lol today is a All time low. 2 sec delay...in 2020!!!! Just Wow

I couldn't put up with that for more than 5 minutes.
  • RexAnglo1066
    edited March 7

Hello FIFA fans,

We have listened to your feedback and will be making some adjustments to the delay and server issues some are having.

1, We will be reducing the stamina of players. We know this will work due to this action fixing any problem players are having with any overpowered problem in the game.

2, We will be releasing promos which will contain Ben Yedder every Friday but we will be adding an extra promo in on every Wednesday too. This will help with server issues because our revenue will be that much higher we can employ more deva to tweak stamina to help with point 1

3, we will be reducing the amount of real game faces on our prime icons. We feel the servers will have an easier job if we just put generic faces on some of those players you watched while growing up.

Thanks
    The FIFA Team

lol...I don't think we are quite at that level of brazen contempt for the consumer...are we?
  • Viking_Beard
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect

Hello FIFA fans,

Thanks
    The FIFA Team

lol...I don't think we are quite at that level of brazen contempt for the consumer...are we?

They’ve already started... they “fixed” drop back with increased stamina loss a while back. They “fixed” overload ball side with increased stamina loss while using it this week...
  • RexAnglo1066

Hello FIFA fans,

Thanks
    The FIFA Team

They’ve already started... they “fixed” drop back with increased stamina loss a while back. They “fixed” overload ball side with increased stamina loss while using it this week...

Yes, but I'm sure they'd argue that we asked them to fix drop back and overload ball side and they did.

Not to our liking, but they did attempt a fix.
  • Pooter
    4802 posts Big Money Move
    The reason why you have lag/delay is because ea doesn’t want to impose rules on the minimum internet speed therefore taking out the lag. Their “lag compensation” simply doesn’t cut the mustard
  • RexAnglo1066
    edited March 7
    Pooter wrote: »
    The reason why you have lag/delay is because ea doesn’t want to impose rules on the minimum internet speed therefore taking out the lag. Their “lag compensation” simply doesn’t cut the mustard

Are sports games, football in our case, particularly hard to get right in an online sense, do you know?
  • Pooter

Are sports games, football in our case, particularly hard to get right in an online sense, do you know?

Minimum internet speed. I have faced people with good and bad. Suggesting that the others with bad connections are lagging. Also, ban mobile connection
  • RexAnglo1066

Minimum internet speed. I have faced people with good and bad. Suggesting that the others with bad connections are lagging. Also, ban mobile connection

You mean people who use their phone as wi-fi hotspot?

My internet is adequate, and I never experience lag or juddering/buffering on any other game.
  • SuperKMx
    1989 posts Fans' Favourite

My internet is adequate, and I never experience lag or juddering/buffering on any other game.

Aye, you'd possibly have a better experience if you had a terrible connection.

In a nutshell, lag compensation ADDS lag to your side so that you don't have an advantage over someone with a slower connection. Meanwhile, they have relatively similar performance match after match. It's why you can play one match and it'll be fine, and the next will have 2 seconds of button delay. :disappointed:
  • AlexBear012
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    So i have ❤️❤️❤️❤️ internet? I really dont have big problems in other games too tho
  • SuperKMx
    1989 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 7
    So i have ❤️❤️❤️❤️ internet? I really dont have big problems in other games too tho

Not necessarily. EA's methods clearly don't work correctly or how they're intended to. I've got 80mb/20mb fibre and don't get delay. Friend lives in the same street, same provider, same package, same router, same console, and he might as well have his console connected to two tin cans and a piece of string. It's absolutely night and day and there's no good reason for it.
  • RexAnglo1066
    SuperKMx wrote: »

Aye, you'd possibly have a better experience if you had a terrible connection.

In a nutshell, lag compensation ADDS lag to your side so that you don't have an advantage over someone with a slower connection. Meanwhile, they have relatively similar performance match after match. It's why you can play one match and it'll be fine, and the next will have 2 seconds of button delay. :disappointed:

That's so messed up...lol
  • Pooter

Not necessarily. EA's methods clearly don't work correctly or how they're intended to. I've got 80mb/20mb fibre and don't get delay. Friend lives in the same street, same provider, same package, same router, same console, and he might as well have his console connected to two tin cans and a piece of string. It's absolutely night and day and there's no good reason for it.

There is an obvious reason, the other player is lagging the connection. I played a person who seems to only live up the street from me, by the name of his team, I won't mention it, but the connection was thrash, I basically put it down to the fact he's delaying the connection. EA so called lag compensation really has a lot to answer for if they claim its perfect. The reason why EA are scared, is because the ones who lag connection are terrible players in reality, and they would lose a lot of FP money. Its pathetic how EA are obsessed with grabbing as much money as possible.
  • RexAnglo1066

There is an obvious reason, the other player is lagging the connection. I played a person who seems to only live up the street from me, by the name of his team, I won't mention it, but the connection was thrash, I basically put it down to the fact he's delaying the connection. EA so called lag compensation really has a lot to answer for if they claim its perfect. The reason why EA are scared, is because the ones who lag connection are terrible players in reality, and they would lose a lot of FP money. Its pathetic how EA are obsessed with grabbing as much money as possible.

I wonder how much it would cost them to bring everything up to speed and match people with similar connections in similar regions etc...so as to avoid these problems...or is that a misunderstanding of the situation on my part?
  • Pooter

I wonder how much it would cost them to bring everything up to speed and match people with similar connections in similar regions etc...so as to avoid these problems...or is that a misunderstanding of the situation on my part?

Its not EA's problem, I mean how can they want to slow things down and make it advantageous for others who are not as good. I haven't been put in any kind of advantage against better players especially on WL