Blatant market manipulation

Cortza
936 posts Professional
I know a lot of people have issues with EA controlling the market via SBCs being awful/non existent aka mid icon SBC. However, my biggest issue is the blatant dumping of hundreds/thousands of cards onto the market by EA in the most blatant of ways.

I'm invested in a particular player and have just witnessed 34x pages land on the market, all with the same price and expiry time.

How is this allowed in a game that involves users spending real world money to earn players and/or coins? In real world stock markets, CEOs would end up in jail for doing something so devious to manipulate their market yet EA get away with it no questions asked.

It's disgusting behaviour but a rotten company from top to bottom!!

Comments

• Matt_Cornwall
    3598 posts National Call-Up
    Can I ask which player it was?
  • Swanz05
    2066 posts Fans' Favourite
    I smell a rat. Somebody mass dumping certain home kits for the last few days (pretty obvious ones). This is the source of my weekly pocket money. I do not like this.
  • Nessy
    2304 posts Fans' Favourite
    Must admit I saw this today as well.... Was watching Icon strikers and all of a sudden around 8 prime Owens hit the market at same time with same start price and buy now...
  • Cortza
    936 posts Professional
    edited February 25
    Nessy wrote: »
    Must admit I saw this today as well.... Was watching Icon strikers and all of a sudden around 8 prime Owens hit the market at same time with same start price and buy now...

I bet they all had the same number of owners (2) as well?
  • Cortza
    936 posts Professional
    Can I ask which player it was?

Maripan
  • Brustring1893
    1299 posts Professional
    Has always been happening. Just remember those TOTYs. Ways of manipulating the market are a disgrace this year.
  • Brustring1893
    1299 posts Professional
    Nessy wrote: »

Bought PIM Henry yesterday, just waiting for EA now to drop a few of them. Actually has been one of the few icons crazily dropping in price in the last few days.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3000 posts National Call-Up
    I've witnessed this many times at the start with a player called Pedro Henrique who used to regularly spike.
  • mypetfrog
    1618 posts Play-Off Hero
    We need someone with some balls who works at EA to be a whistle-blower. Blow it wide open. Why has no disgruntled former employee ever done this?
  • Matt_Cornwall
    3598 posts National Call-Up
    mypetfrog wrote: »
    We need someone with some balls who works at EA to be a whistle-blower. Blow it wide open. Why has no disgruntled former employee ever done this?

Maybe I've watched too much Tele but I'm assuming they have to sign a non disclosure agreement
  • mypetfrog
    1618 posts Play-Off Hero

Maybe I've watched too much Tele but I'm assuming they have to sign a non disclosure agreement

Of course. I'm talking anonymous whistle-blower. Just a bunch of original documents/emails etc chucked out there.

Surprised its never happened tbh, other than that alleged thing a few years ago that we're not allowed to discuss.
  • CustardHippo
    2863 posts Fans' Favourite
    Happened back with TOTY too, massive thread went about on it. Literally none of certain TOTY cards on the market and then all of a sudden 10+ pages, all the same BIN, same number of owners (2) and all listed for the same amount of time. People were saying they also had the same previous purchase price, oddly enough, of 0 coins...
  • chevano2121
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park

Probably all get a NDA like we also aprove that we can not take legal action via the normal way
  • chevano2121
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park

Of course. I'm talking anonymous whistle-blower. Just a bunch of original documents/emails etc chucked out there.

Surprised its never happened tbh, other than that alleged thing a few years ago that we're not allowed to discuss.

ah was already mentioned so disregard my post :)
  • MEARLEY87
    217 posts Has Potential To Be Special

If they are manipulating the market then its fraud and the non-disclosure becomes redundant.
    Whistle blowing would be allowed in this instance if reported to the correct authorities
  • Retropoe82
    1303 posts Professional
    Ive seen it happen almost every promo this year most noticable was toty like you say all the same price an time. Like a bots put them there. No wonder its >1% to get a decent pull.

Its been a very cruel game this year with pack reductions, untradable packs. No icon sbcs.

Ea should be asking the community for ideas to improve not make it extremely unlikely to pull a promo/icon or top tier player.

Last time i ever buy the ultimate edition an ultimate packs after 8 now still nothing over 85 rated
  • Pooter
    4802 posts Big Money Move
    How are EA manipulating the market? There are people who are trading cards like they don’t care
  • BeefyRabouter
    2554 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pooter wrote: »
    How are EA manipulating the market? There are people who are trading cards like they don’t care

Because if over 100 cards are being posted at the exact same time with the exact same price it can't be 1 player right?
  • Saiyajin
    90 posts Park Captain
    At this Point good work EA I dont want to pay 5K for a kit because someone wants to make huge profit
  • mypetfrog
    1618 posts Play-Off Hero
    I can thoroughly get on board with EA flooding the market if they spot deliberate attempts by people to price-fix a particular card or consumable, absolutely.

However blindly manipulating the market at will is just not on.
  • Hoopsterz
    2127 posts Fans' Favourite
    It might also be releasing all the cards from banned coin farming accounts back onto the market?

• jorgend
    189 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hoopsterz wrote: »
    It might also be releasing all the cards from banned coin farming accounts back onto the market?

That is still market manipulation, isn´t it? They set they buy now price to way lower, meaning a lot of people lose money on their card.
  • Hoopsterz
    2127 posts Fans' Favourite
    jorgend wrote: »

That is still market manipulation, isn´t it? They set they buy now price to way lower, meaning a lot of people lose money on their card.

Im not saying it isn't.. but if they are doing what i said (which is a big IF) then that's better than these cards just being locked on these accounts never to be used again.
  • DFC1983
    1245 posts Professional

If they want to do that with FS Tomori the more the better. :joy:
  • RexAnglo1066
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 25
    Sorry, where do we think any of these cards come from?

None of it is real, or tangible, or tied to real world events etc...

Every single card is created by E.A, then placed on a market created by E.A, to be bought with coins created by E.A, for use in gameplay which is also created by E.A.

Everything about FUT is artificial, and the market price of any given player is also manipulated by external forces such as coin sellers, and the wider market is subject to any dips or troughs that E.A decide to instigate for whatever reason they see fit.

Unless E.A have a highly successful trading guru running the entire system it is very easy for the whole thing to veer out of control and then increasingly exaggerated fixes must be implemented.

I understand they did employ a market "expert", but how clever and adaptable was that "expert"?

So, I'd be surprised if they weren't actively involved in market manipulation.

What's the alternative?

Allow the market to be run by an independent body, not affiliated to E.A, which can't be pressured or coerced?

Plus, if those 8 Owen Icon cards are to enter the games eco-system it has to be E.A that introduces them...who else can?

Again, think about it, who else can?
  • Mic2904
    2246 posts Fans' Favourite
    The community was told last season that the market cannot be held hostage and it’s a living organism... yeah right EA 🤔
  • mypetfrog
    1618 posts Play-Off Hero
    DFC1983 wrote: »

If they want to do that with FS Tomori the more the better. :joy:

Yeah and some SS Marcelo's too please. Thanks. ;)
  • NLocco
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special

There actually was one ex EA employee.Not known by fifa comunity,but well known by madden comunity.He leaked some controversial documents about dodgy EA ingame mechanics.
  • jorgend
    189 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Every single card is created by E.A, then placed on a market created by E.A, to be bought with coins created by E.A, for use in gameplay which is also created by E.A.

Everything about FUT is artificial, and the market price of any given player is also manipulated by external forces such as coin sellers, and the wider market is subject to any dips or troughs that E.A decide to instigate for whatever reason they see fit.

Unless E.A have a highly successful trading guru running the entire system it is very easy for the whole thing to veer out of control and then increasingly exaggerated fixes must be implemented.

I understand they did employ a market "expert", but how clever and adaptable was that "expert"?

What's the alternative?

Allow the market to be run by an independent body, not affiliated to E.A, which can't be pressured or coerced?

Plus, if those 8 Owen Icon cards are to enter the games eco-system it has to be E.A that introduces them...who else can?

Well, yeah, but if they have a market - then they should leave it like that, an open market as a living organism based on trends, speculation and supply and demand. There has been obvious signs of cards being flooded on the market, personally I was looking at TOTY Frenkie when those cards were released because I wanted to buy him, then suddenly going from almost extinct to 20-30 cards being released exactly at the same time at the same price. You say it is not real, but FUT players money are real. I do see what you are saying though, that this is the best alternative compared to coin sellers steering the market in their direction. I disagree totally, because of the cards coming on to the market from EA are released at a price which makes honest FUT players lose coins. Also - it ruins the market organism based on supply and demand. A lot of the cards being talked about are the rarest cards in the game, increase the pack weight instead of actively fighting coin sellers with releasing the same cards on the market for a lower price.
  • Cortza
    936 posts Professional

What's the alternative?

I get what you're saying mate but packweight + no. packs opened should dictate a players price, not the cards EA purposefully dump on the market at a set price.

In terms of introducing cards such as the Owen you mentioned, simply up his packweight and allow users to decide whether they want to sell or not.

The market will find its equilibrium eventually when users refuse to buy at a certain price etc.