Defending

LordVader
97 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I'm just curious how people defend. I see comments like "He is a beast of a fullback" or "Get xyz as a CB and he's amazing". But if you control your defender yourself, isn't everyone essentially the same? Or do you just let the AI defend and control a mid/forward only when defending? I can see how forwards are helped by better players; pace, shooting, dribbling etc, but defenders?

I'm only a Div 9 player (should get up to Div 8 this evening, need only one point in 4 games)

Comments

• ChappellRovers
    3069 posts National Call-Up
    Quick defenders are good at catching quick forwards when they are dribbling, also it you make a mistake and pull them out of position it is easier to fix the problem. There are few CB’s which can do this. Tall strong full backs are good at the far posts for crosses. My LB petit is a beast quick, strong and technical he can perform all defensive roles - passing, tackling, speed and strength mean he can be a defensive full back, an attacking full back and be good on the far post. Lots of people use attacking full backs also where crossing/dribbling/pace matter a lot. On switch Fifa crossing is still a big deal so Petit stops that being an issue for me defensively.
  • LordVader
    So when do you control him and when do you just let him get on with it? When my son was dribbling at you, were you switching players and trying to get the ball manually or letting the defenders do it by themselves?
  • ChappellRovers
    I do it manually sometimes other times I use a midfielder and let the AI get on with it. Just depends on how many defenders are there etc
  • LordVader
    So If the shape looks good and there are defenders back, you let AI get on with it? Otherwise you try to manually recover?
  • ChappellRovers
    Yeah basically. Sometimes i enjoy charging out a CB to get the ball but I have been playing 5-3-2. With 4 defenders you will be punished it you do that.
  • LordVader
    Great tips, thanks!