Defense, Post Patch

Chappy
6775 posts Big Money Move
Did the recent patch change defense? I'm using 88 Nesta and RTTF Militao, and it feels like they have no common sense anymore. I've had this sort of thing happen to me a number of times since the patch:

jn3ZmrU.gif

I know you can't pause the clip, but there's a point where, if paused, it looks like those two defenders are standing right on top of each other. Why are they both marking that defender while another guy runs free in so much open space? If this was a one time thing, I'd shrug it off, but this is probably the 4th or 5th time in the last day or so that my back line has essentially parted like the Red Sea to give a free run on net. It's like the defenders' marking abilities have disappeared.

Then there's this:

lbTfV70.gif

Why does neither defender turn to run with the guy streaking down the middle of them? You see I switch to Militao and then immediately switch back to de Jong... that's because irl, I'm yelling "WHAT THE ❤️❤️❤️❤️, WHERE ARE MY DEFENDERS???" and freaking out on the sticks. But it doesn't even matter because the dude is already long gone. Why did neither CB turn to run with him? I'm sure I can probably switch to one of them earlier and do it manually, but shouldn't one of them automatically run with him? I know that's what they usually do and what my opponents' defenders do.

Any feedback appreciated. Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing happening?

Comments

• Scutch
    22580 posts Club Captain
    Mine yesterday were literally running into each other and due to the frostbite engine, falling over. It was comical. Or it should have been but I was too busy raging and wanting to quick sell two untradeable SBC players. Hasn’t been too bad today since I got Cannavaro and Blanc, but my defending is a LOT worse post patch.
  • Chappy
    Got another question I'm hoping someone can answer. Can anyone explain to me how my opponent can pull his defender out of position but then still run Messi down after a give and go?:

xJPzuGa.gif

Why does Messi take so long to start running? How is the defender able to recover so quickly despite being much slower? I see this sort of thing happen constantly, where Eusebio and Messi are unable to separate from defenders despite my opponent pulling them way out of position. Why is the game so forgiving to these sorts of missteps?

And then compare that to this give and go from my opponent:

GYaqV8l.gif

His player passes the ball and then immediately makes a perfect curved run into wide open space because my defender just doesn't run with him.

Why does this happen? I feel like I played pretty good defense, all things considered. Why does his player curve his run to the open space (mine always just run in a straight line), and why doesn't my AI defender run with him after I switch to the other CB to defend the ball?
  • Wyojasond
    19810 posts World Class
    Defenders catching up to players after getting totally burned was the worst I’ve ever seen it this weekend. It felt like the game would just stop at times.

I used to really enjoy WL way more than Rivals, but man it felt greasy today.
  • Chappy
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Defenders catching up to players after getting totally burned was the worst I’ve ever seen it this weekend. It felt like the game would just stop at times.

I don't have any good videos to show it, but in the same sort of situation, I noticed that the passing often ruined things as well. Lobbed through passes just don't go far enough for the player to break away and run under them, and ground through balls are often too slow, preventing the breaking player from taking that first large touch before the defender has caught them.
  • Wouldn't call that last clip good defending tbh. It was actually quite shocking, you just covered the wrong things and got punished.
  • Propagandyy2
    1116 posts Professional
    Thats been happening to me as well the running into each other or marking the same man....i just put my cbs in timeout when they dont act right and just keep rotating lol
  • Chappy
    edited January 2020
    Orison wrote: »
    Wouldn't call that last clip good defending tbh. It was actually quite shocking, you just covered the wrong things and got punished.

The defense is fine man. It’s not perfect, but it’s not like I’m playing Elite level competition. If I don’t cover the assister’s outside, he will turn that direction and go near post on me. And it’s not like I’m anticipating Militao just not running with the guy who ends up scoring. And even if I somehow foresee that perfect AI run, if I cover it, I just open up the near post to him, as I’ve already mentioned.

I’d be curious to hear what you find so shocking about it.
  • Chappy
    Thats been happening to me as well the running into each other or marking the same man....i just put my cbs in timeout when they dont act right and just keep rotating lol

Who do you use? I’ve got 88 Nesta and 86 Militao, but I’ve been planning on upgrading the former to 92 Maldini. I’m holding off for now, as I’m planning to overhaul the squad with a new formation, which will probably require me to shift some players.
  • BaseCamp
    2220 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Chappy when you change off a defender that defender basically freezes for 1 second. Thats why he got through on goal in the one clip.

The other clip you made a bad lunge. I dont even click B for tackle ever this year. Just use the auto tackle.
  • Scutch
    22580 posts Club Captain
    BaseCamp wrote: »
    @Chappy when you change off a defender that defender basically freezes for 1 second. Thats why he got through on goal in the one clip.

The other clip you made a bad lunge. I dont even click B for tackle ever this year. Just use the auto tackle.

@Orison So you just LT and run into the opposition? Or back off and wait?
  • Scutch wrote: »

You back off until you get the opportunity to run into him.

LT basically turns your defender into a super human so yes if you run into an attacker while holding LT your defender will automatically take the ball away. Both tackle buttons are largely irrelevant this year.
  • Scutch
    22580 posts Club Captain
    Scutch wrote: »

LT basically turns your defender into a super human so yes if you run into an attacker while holding LT your defender will automatically take the ball away. Both tackle buttons are largely irrelevant this year.

One of my issues is being impatient so holding down sprint forever and lunging when I shouldn’t. Need to get shot of both.
  • Chappy

@BaseCamp Fair enough on the first part with the defender freezing. It certainly looks that way, though it's annoying that that's a thing. How does his player make that sort of curved run though? Any time I use LB to send a player on a run, they always just run straight ahead.

I'm missing the other clip with the bad lunge. Are you talking about the lunging in the same clip?
  • Chappy
    Scutch wrote: »

@Orison I played a lot of games yesterday, and this one was particularly ridiculous, so it's hard to remember exactly what was going through my head at that exact moment. But I'm pretty sure both times I hit the B button, it was in reaction to seeing the pass and trying to block it, not in an attempt to tackle.
  • MrGelu83
    49 posts Park Captain
    Same here. I was not playing since patch just a few games. Today im just shocked with the state of defense. Before patch i had a 9-1 win run. now it looks like my defense is not making to the pitch or are total drunk. Its ridiculous! :disappointed:
  • Nervous_Nick
    7222 posts League Winner
    Before the patch, my defenders used to run into opponent’s players and get away with the ball....now they run into them and get away WITHOUT the ball :D
  • Keano
    20670 posts Club Captain
    edited January 2020
    Before the patch, my defenders used to run into opponent’s players and get away with the ball....now they run into them and get away WITHOUT the ball :D

Does that make you Nervous, Nick? :trollface:

i'll see myself out.
  • BrentfordFC
    13514 posts Has That Special Something
    Feels better imo. I find the finesse shots and near post shots get saved or miss more now. Oh and the corners. Think i conceded 5 corners this weekend. Don’t think I’ve conceded 5 in all my weekend league games before last week.
  • Mr_Matchup1
    6848 posts Big Money Move
    Biggest pile of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I've ever played,

defenders stepping forward all the time just before I take control of them so my opponent runs past me before I can react.

Passing is terrible, every pass is over hit or under hit. I try to pass Infront of my players and it goes behind. I try a through ball and they pass it at the defender

Autoblocks on shots is ridiculous
  • ChrisLFC
    7364 posts League Winner
    Wyojasond wrote: »

This happened to me a lot this WL as well. Mbappe was being run down by the likes of Laporte
  • Edu
    7528 posts League Winner
    Not just the defense. There are some glitches that the players are literally thrown far from the ball. They just broke the collision physical.
    Another thing is about some skills, now the defense run away from the ball, the kick off goal is back.
  • JimmyVulmer
    6664 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2020
    Nevermind can’t get gif to work
  • Propagandyy2
    1116 posts Professional
    Chappy wrote: »

Who do you use? I’ve got 88 Nesta and 86 Militao, but I’ve been planning on upgrading the former to 92 Maldini. I’m holding off for now, as I’m planning to overhaul the squad with a new formation, which will probably require me to shift some players.

85 Ferdinand and 90 Luiz....If Ferdinand gives up one more penalty im going to bench him
  • Chappy
    Nevermind can’t get gif to work

That’s disappointing. I have a couple I plan to upload tomorrow.
  • Scutch
    22580 posts Club Captain
    It's amazing how when they think they're fixing something, the mess up so much more.

Every. Single. Time.
  • Joestoe
    10581 posts Has That Special Something
    Since the patch, I have this issue where my players, who generally have 90+ dribbling, can’t control the easiest balls. I’m not holding sprint, don’t do anything crazy or so but they just take 2 or 3 touches to get it under control. It completely takes away any momentum I had in the attack.
  • sturges12345
    4507 posts National Call-Up
    Joestoe wrote: »
    Since the patch, I have this issue where my players, who generally have 90+ dribbling, can’t control the easiest balls. I’m not holding sprint, don’t do anything crazy or so but they just take 2 or 3 touches to get it under control. It completely takes away any momentum I had in the attack.

This isn’t since the patch. This has been there for like 3 years where players take forever to control the ball especially aerial ones
  • Joestoe
    Joestoe wrote: »

This isn’t since the patch. This has been there for like 3 years where players take forever to control the ball especially aerial ones

Haven’t played for two months but can’t remember it being such a huge problem in previous patches.
  • Chappy
    Been meaning to post these for a few days. I get that auto tackling is "better" than hitting the "B" or "X" button to standing tackle or slide tackle, but it's still pretty garbage as well:

hJjFVfG.gif

0jWwvSt.gif
  • Joestoe
    That second clip happens to me once or twice every game and I have no idea why he doesn't lock onto the ball.

The first one, obviously, happens a lot as well but I feel like that's the case for everyone.