Upgrade from FIFA 19

LordVader
97 posts Has Potential To Be Special
My son and I started playing FUT the last three weeks and we really like it. We've put some time into it, but it can be hard to find an online game. Weekends and early evening (I am in USA) sometimes we can, late at night it's very difficult unless we downgrade our team a bit. There are only about 7,000 live transfers. Before we invest more time, I want to get an idea of how many live transfers there are in the FIFA 20 game? I know FIFA 20 is the same game as FIFA 19 but if there are a lot more active users, we can get more games and we'd be okay with starting again. Also does the Switch FUT 20 get the Team of the Week, regular new SBCs etc.? In FIFA 19, there are the Basic and Advanced SBCs and that all. We are newbies to FUT but I feel if we move to FIFA 20, we can get more out of the game and be part of the "live" FUT game so to speak. So, in summary, is it a better experience in FIFA 20 and do you recommend making the jump now?

Comments

• ChappellRovers
    3069 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 25
    It is the same game - gameplay wise as it is a legacy edition. But we have received much better content this year - player promotions we have received so far - Scream, Champions League team of the group stage, road to the final Champions League and Europa League, FUTMAS, Team of the year and Headliners. Content to come future stars and Team of the Season. We also receive team of the week every week as well as player of the month for the Premier League only and flashback cards. We get all patches to the game and the winter upgrades and transfers. We also received the Base Icon squad building challenge. Headliners has been happening for a week and still has a week to come - we get pack squad building challenges (abbreviated to SBC from now on) once a day time limited for 24 hours and that is the same for most of the promotions. All of the basic and advanced SBC’s are there too as well as Marquee Match Ups on Thursdays - 4 SBCs based on real life games that are rivalries for which you receive 5 packs for completion. So i would say it is worth it.

You will also receive welcome back packs if you are “returning” from Fifa 19 - I got Busquets out of mine. It takes about 3 seconds to find an online game in my experience, you will struggle with the cups as they are one time pack rewards. Most people seem to have gold teams so it shouldn’t be too hard to jump in. This is my team, first team and back ups, if you want to see the variety of cards on offer, obviously I have been playing since September but lots of people start in January as they get the game for Christmas so you shouldn’t have any trouble winning games in the lower divisions and from there you should be able to build a decent team from coins and packs.

584-B02-EE-7-DF2-459-F-9689-B4054852-FCF1.jpg
    EA7679-CD-FEC9-4686-9-B3-C-B1-CC516-B840-B.jpg
    90744-A7-C-D85-B-4575-9-A01-88-F76-FD10493.jpg

Essentially a lot of those players have come from either packs or SBC’s during the year. Butragueno the 92 spanish striker I recieved untradeable from a daily SBC. Figo and Petit I received from the base icon SBC. Abraham, Alli, Chong, Adama Traore, Vardy, Milner and Diego Costa I did from player squad building challenges. So around half my squad are from live challenges.

This is what is available at the moment on SBC’s if that helps. The “headliners challenge” expires tomorrow at 6pm GMT and another one will replace it. This excludes the fixed SBC’s you mentioned such as nation/league etc but they are in the game. The game has live content such as that until late August when the new game will be released.

AB9-D2-AD3-D014-43-B1-A92-D-1-E28883-A3-B65.jpg
    8-B6922-AB-D849-43-C1-A924-3153-AD60051-C.jpg
    1-EC686-AE-B7-B4-421-F-A7-CF-699-CFDB787-D7.jpg

You’ll receive the welcome back packs and from there all it would take is a lucky pull from a SBC and you could get a lot of coins. I regularly make around 50-150k a week from the live SBC’s, you should also make some coins and players from the fixed basic/advanced ones as well as upgrades. During Black Friday there was an pack SBC every hour so occasionally things like that come along and you can make a lot of coins that way too. The transfer market on the Switch hovers around 25,000 - 50,000 depending on whether there is a promotion/sbc available at the time. So right at the moment there is 34,314 available transfers.

09-DADF8-E-BB5-E-4-F4-E-B4-D6-781-CCFDF287-E.jpg

Hope this helps it isn’t very concise but hopefully i answered your questions, let me know if you have any more. Sorry it took so long to reply - i only check on here once a day and as it isn’t very active so i go to the general discussion. If you put the @ sign then my username on here I will reply as quick as I can. I would say make the jump, you can probably get the game really cheap now and there is still time to build a really good team. I dont know what your squad is like now but it will probably take you a week to make it better than your team on Fifa 19. The Abraham SBC was only a 83 rated team with one team of the week player and one premier league player, so there is some really cheap content sometimes.
  • ChappellRovers
    edited January 25
    I should mention about the transfers that the “81+ upgrade” requires 11 rare gold players so lots have been bought off the market for that and put into it which has reduced the amount available at the moment. Essentially you get two 81+ untradeable players from it which is why it is only at 34,314 at the moment. For the headliners challenge you need a 76 rated squad and in exchange you got an untradeable mega pack with 36 items in it. Most of the rewards are tradeable though.
  • LordVader
    Wow, thanks for the taking the time to post such a long and detailed response! I showed my son your team and the live challenges and he is very excited to do FIFA 20. Starting again will allow us to base our team more around England this year (our FIFA 19 team is Germany). I wasn't able to find it that cheap though, still seems to be about $40. We didn't know what we were doing at first so starting again will allow things to do things better that we did before (and took a while to learn). The ironic thing is we've had FiFA 19 for over a year and never did Ultimate team!

My wife said last night "I can't believe you spend hours just getting cards" ... so may have to buy FIFA20 stealthily and all she'll see is the same game :smile:

One final question, when is the best time to find on-line games? Is it Europe evenings and weekend? We can often get a game around 6pm our time (11pm UK) but last night from 930pm, I tried for over 2 hours and found one game (this is pretty typical)

Again, many thanks!
  • ChappellRovers
    edited January 25
    No worries at all. Hahahaha she won’t notice 🙂. I live in the UK and I have no problem finding games at all, literally one comes up first try everytime whether it be in the day, the night or the early hours of the morning any day of the week. Usually i can find a game on online seasons first try from 8AM GMT to 2AM GMT, I know lots of people on Discord who are American and have no trouble finding games. They now match you within three divisions of the divisions of the one you are in as well so usually it takes around 5 seconds to find a game on online seasons. The online cups you struggle to find a game and online drafts sometimes take 2-3 tries to find someone but otherwise you usually find a game instantly.
  • ChappellRovers
    English day time seems to be the high point for the transfer market, at the moment there are 40,731 live transfers. I imagine it is easier to get games in daytime GMT but haven’t had any trouble getting games at the times you mentioned.
  • LordVader
    Great, many thanks. It would be good to play with our regular team, the only way we can play right now is to downgrade to 3.5 stars (mainly via bronze benching). I've never found on online game for anything other than the 3.5 star team. I actually discussed this with EA and they said star rating is one of the factors to match teams. I think once we get FIFA 20, hopefully this weekend, it won't take too long to get a comparable team. As I said we've only been doing it 3 weeks so all our players are just 79-83 ranked. I am also from UK but living out here now. This helps with the Premier League as every game here is live, even the UK 3pm ones so I can watch my team Arsenal every week (hasn't been much worth watching this season mind you). My son (7) is soccer mad so hopefully he'll be a Gooner as well although it's all Messi with him.

We still have a lot to learn playing the game itself though, once we get FIFA 20 and a decent enough team (even just 80), we need to spend time getting better and learning some tricks and techniques (I've only managed to get to Div 7 in online season with Arsenal). Unfortunately, my time is somewhat limited but I know I can do better than that if I invest a bit of time practicing.
  • ChappellRovers
    edited January 25
    Wow that is amazing barely any live football here outside of Sky, I am a West Ham fan so I feel your pain, my Dad is one too so I wasn’t given much choice even though my local club is Aston Villa, so sure your son will end up supporting Arsenal too!

My team is 87 rated 5 star and I regularly match up with 4.5 star plus teams. It only took me 3 months/500 games to get there, so I expect your squad will end up being much better within a few weeks and amazing within a few months because the live challenges give you packs that aren’t available otherwise such as Rare Electrum players pack (what I got the 91 Butragueno from). With the live SBC’s it is very easy to get good stuff from it I regularly get 83+ players out of it. I expect you will get something decent out of your welcome back packs too - i got Busquets and Rakitic of Barcelona which I sold for a combined 100k. I started on single player seasons and once I got up to a 4 star squad i went straight onto online. Seem to flit between division 1, 2 and 3 depending on what my team is like compared to other people. The weekend seems a lot easier for me to play a few games and get into the rhythm of it.
  • LordVader
    So we got it today! Set up a basic team but unfortunately my starter pack was mostly Argentina which is the worst option for a Brit! Shame you can't choose the starter country. However, I did not get a Welcome Back pack, in fact it didn't even recognize my old team at all so it's completely new wth a new start date. I got the FIFA 19 veteran trophy so it knows I used FIFA 19 but in FUT no carry over. With my starter loan players all being goalkeepers, I have some work to do. Although we got quite attached to some our German players, my son wants to focus on an England team so I'm going to focus on getting some England players. My wife just said she has to work tonight so I've got the next 2 hours to myself :smile:
  • ChappellRovers
    Yeah that is frustrating you can’t choose your starter country, I got German this year. That is really strange sorry to hear you didn’t get the welcome back pack. Sounds good i hope you enjoy it 🙂
  • LordVader
    Turns out you have to be an active FUT19 member at the time FUT20 comes out.
  • ChappellRovers
    Ah sorry I didn’t realise, just thought as i got them you would get them too.