Quitting is the best thing you’ll do

OfficerJimlahey
1902 posts Fans' Favourite
Most people can enjoy UT without it having an effect on their lives, this isn’t for those people. Nor am I one of those that comes back on the forum to bash the game and tell everyone to quit. This is for people that have that feeling that UT is inherently bad for their health.

I was more addicted to this game than I care to admit. I didn’t even think it was good, I hated it in almost every way yet I’d still tune in at 6pm wondering what content they’ve given us. It was a strange place to be, being obsessed by something you despise. The idea of quitting seemed difficult as I would be giving up something that occupied so much of my time and had done since the inception of UT, talking about it, coming on the forum, building teams on futbin at work etc. So I made a list (mentally) including all the things I dislike about myself when I’m playing UT. Some of the things on the list were - being a grumpy ❤️❤️❤️❤️ towards my gf if she phoned while I was playing or if I had to come off fifa for an unexpected reason. I’d drive my self crazy with the blatant injustice in the game and the obvious EA manipulation geared towards profiteering. Basically it was having a detrimental effect on my mental health, not to the point I need a doctor or anything but fifa would definitely effect my moods. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I also blown a few hundred on Fifa points despite despising the game (yeah, I’m that guy, sadly). That’s when I knew something wasn’t right

I quit 3 months or so ago. Still got my account with 4 million coins or so and I have no desire to return. It was difficult at first, I’d tune in to the forum to give me some kind of fix, I’d build the odd team on futbin etc. After a week or so, you’d see people complaining about stuff that used to drive you nuts and you’d think - wow that was me, glad I’m out of it now. My moods improved, things are as good as they’ve ever been with my gf, My work life seems easier and my chill time is actually chill time now as I don’t have fifa throwing random injustices my way.

Basically, if this game is causing you unnecessary grief then quitting is easy and will definitely improve your life on some level.

Comments

• Seanregal
    1951 posts Fans' Favourite
    A honest and very sensible post, you sure your in the right place :D seriously though if a game is having a detrimental effect on your real life then it is right to quit. Well done op and I'm glad you feel better for it.
  • ironawin1
    1318 posts Professional
    Well said sir
  • OfficerJimlahey
    Seanregal wrote: »
    A honest and very sensible post, you sure your in the right place :D seriously though if a game is having a detrimental effect on your real life then it is right to quit. Well done op and I'm glad you feel better for it.

Haha cheers mate. I’m actually past any anger or trying to convince others to thinking the same as me. Just thought I’d share my experience and let others that want to quit know that it’s not that difficult and they’ll definitely feel better for it
  • OZero
    7665 posts League Winner
    So you quit three months ago. I assume that’s October. And you got 4m already. At that time.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    OZero wrote: »
    So you quit three months ago. I assume that’s October. And you got 4m already. At that time.

Well about the start of Novemberish is when I quit, I didn’t make a note of the exact date. I packed mbappe on day one and invested the coins. Done well with otw hazard and pulisic. Made more coins than ever before but the frustration and anger was worse than any other year

• The_Unknown
    278 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’ll take the 4 million 🤪
  • Wurrsmycash
    1511 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well said mate
  • Amdp9
    6856 posts Big Money Move
    Exactly
  • OfficerJimlahey
    edited January 2020
    Cheers lads. I posted this because I was hoping it may resonate with some people and they may see some of their own traits in my behaviour. Honestly if this game is detrimental to you just stop playing it, it’s not that difficult and it will definitely improve your mood
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    16674 posts World Class
    I'm on the brink.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    I’ll take the 4 million 🤪

Could be better though aye 😅😉
  • OfficerJimlahey
    I'm on the brink.

Trust me mate, give it up. It feels good.
  • Dave2791
    1455 posts Play-Off Hero
    My suggestion would be to quit the parts of the game that stress you. I stopped playing weekend league due to lag, and I'm having loads of fun doing objectives and nothing else. No more stress. If you just cannot have any fun at all the please do quit. A game is supposed to be fun.
  • Naths
    155 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Well said mate
  • OfficerJimlahey
    Dave2791 wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to quit the parts of the game that stress you. I stopped playing weekend league due to lag, and I'm having loads of fun doing objectives and nothing else. No more stress. If you just cannot have any fun at all the please do quit. A game is supposed to be fun.

I tried that as well. I’m all or nothing though. I just fell back in to old habits. Quitting fifa complain helped me see the ridiculousness of it all.
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    This is a very good post and I respect you for it.

It's funny isn't it because I think if we're honest, we'll all recognise features of that post in ourselves. For me it's getting annoyed with the wife when she talks and I'm trying to see out a win and then concede.

Although in my defence, I can sit there trading for 3 hours and not a peep, then I play an Icon swaps game and suddenly we have to discuss the service of the boiler :joy:. I never get massively frustrated about it though, most of the time we laugh about the fact I conceded a goal due to her inane question. My laughing may have tears involved, but that's not the point.

Anyway, well done on making the right choice for you. I try to limit my playing time during the week if possible. That way I keep it in it's place. I've still not completed the week 1 objectives.
  • BruceLeeHarding
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think the App can also be a contributing factor as it's too easy to get in the market and get addicted.

I only tend to use it now for live Sbcs, but a few years ago I was definitely on it way too much. Found it was increasing tiredness at the very least.
  • RexAnglo1066
    3894 posts National Call-Up
    lol...the language people use it sounds like an N/A meeting.

• BruceLeeHarding
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    A not applicable meeting?
  • CharlieC
    7433 posts League Winner
    I’ll be joining you at the end of this year @OfficerJimlahey Its not that it affects my mental health, far from it, but it does annoy me and no other game does that.

People who are spending lots of money need to have a long look at why and what they get from it, especially if they don’t enjoy the game. If you enjoy it fine but a lot dont.

• Azof
    21039 posts Club Captain
    lol...the language people use it sounds like an N/A meeting.

You mean AA?
  • Ireland_US
    672 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'm not as obsessed as you once were but I feel I'm in a similar place right now. This game just pissed me off so much and yet I always go back to it i don't know why
  • Headshrinker363
    6001 posts Big Money Move
    I quit on Friday. Button delay was getting me angry. Snapped my disc never to return. As soon as I heard crack I felt better. Been a great weekend not having to try a squeeze 30 frustrating games in.
  • Gooders66
    463 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Most people can enjoy UT without it having an effect on their lives, this isn’t for those people. Nor am I one of those that comes back on the forum to bash the game and tell everyone to quit. This is for people that have that feeling that UT is inherently bad for their health.

I was more addicted to this game than I care to admit. I didn’t even think it was good, I hated it in almost every way yet I’d still tune in at 6pm wondering what content they’ve given us. It was a strange place to be, being obsessed by something you despise. The idea of quitting seemed difficult as I would be giving up something that occupied so much of my time and had done since the inception of UT, talking about it, coming on the forum, building teams on futbin at work etc. So I made a list (mentally) including all the things I dislike about myself when I’m playing UT. Some of the things on the list were - being a grumpy **** towards my gf if she phoned while I was playing or if I had to come off fifa for an unexpected reason. I’d drive my self crazy with the blatant injustice in the game and the obvious EA manipulation geared towards profiteering. Basically it was having a detrimental effect on my mental health, not to the point I need a doctor or anything but fifa would definitely effect my moods. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I also blown a few hundred on Fifa points despite despising the game (yeah, I’m that guy, sadly). That’s when I knew something wasn’t right

I quit 3 months or so ago. Still got my account with 4 million coins or so and I have no desire to return. It was difficult at first, I’d tune in to the forum to give me some kind of fix, I’d build the odd team on futbin etc. After a week or so, you’d see people complaining about stuff that used to drive you nuts and you’d think - wow that was me, glad I’m out of it now. My moods improved, things are as good as they’ve ever been with my gf, My work life seems easier and my chill time is actually chill time now as I don’t have fifa throwing random injustices my way.

Basically, if this game is causing you unnecessary grief then quitting is easy and will definitely improve your life on some level.

Totally agree, I finally deleted the game a month ago, it's not good for your health playing this terrible game and it was the best decision I've ever made, won't fall for the hype again regarding fifa 21
  • ive sold it on. done with it, may come back for fifa 21
  • AlexBear012
    3401 posts National Call-Up
    ive sold it on. done with it, may come back for fifa 21

why would you come back if you didn't like the game? nothing will change
  • mway
    2186 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2020
    I´ve deleted the team a month ago. A friend bought the game so I´ve decided to create a new one to play against him friendlies. Currently, I´m using players that played on my team or have said that are fans of my team IRL. It´s funny. I don´t care about WL or Division Rivals ranking. I don´t care about rewards or objectives.
  • mway
    2186 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2020
    ive sold it on. done with it, may come back for fifa 21

The worst thing you can do. It won´t change.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    some good, positive feedback here tbf. Judging from what a lot of you have said, these are common traits in various extremes.

Anyone thinking they are in a similar position I’d recommend trying a week off. Sell your team (keep the coins) and be a passive participant. Just observe the forum and witness it from afar. You’ll see the ludicrousness of it all and hopefully apply some perspective. If it’s bad for you, quit. It’s no big deal