The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

"Ultimate" in UT a little bit pointless

Mmandras
2974 posts National Call-Up
edited January 13
Every year we spend a lot of coins doing SBCs and striving to buy best possible players, but what would 99 CR7 or Messi get you? Maybe at most 30% Rival games, that you'd win without it anyway, and some WL frustration, that you might not need at all.

This year it's all about specific objectives that require cards diversity, and when you look at Ziyech card, objectives will be also 90+ rated. When you have 3 or 4 stacked teams full of untradble beasts after Carnibal and Future stars, after all the live cards updates, after icon swaps 2 and 3, it will be the time for TOTS.

So what is exactly the point of having your ultimate card of one specific league now? I'd much more prefer icons because of their hidden stats and equally important, mixing up with objective cards for easier objectives.

The whole concept and focus of a game has changed massively. It's not about who will get the higher up the ladder in seasons anymore, reds fron WL are mostly useless, drop backers are everywhere...

It has become a gambling fest this ToTY promo, but even if you didn't pack anything, there are bunch of great promos to come and "fun" to have in completing objectives.

Ah well, just my bitter 2cc after not packing anything.

Comments

• Wurrsmycash
    492 posts An Exciting Prospect
    At the end of the day, the most important thing is for Ultimate team to increase in revenue for EA each year with the sale of more FPs, they do this by:

- Basically recycling last years FIFA and interfaces and changing just enough to make most people think it's a different game

- Countless and endless amounts of promo and special cards to make people go crazy into opening cards

- The promos above is fine for the most part, but the latest crap of giving Untradable packs for huge investment SBCs is a con and scandal

Either way all the FIFA points spent, and cards obtained are obsolete in less than 6 months, when there is a huge drop off in Summer and people wait for the new game. I'd say maybe 1 in 10 if even that go back and play a previous version of FIFA once a new one comes out.

Another name that could be coined is Temporary Team or Penultimate Team
  • AliasMaurice
    2346 posts Fans' Favourite
    It'll be penultimate team for a few. I know many people sat last fifa but with the ps5 due out end of the year I won t buy fifa 21 for ps4.

Maybe get fifa 22 with a ps5 bundle but maybe my last console.

Hopefully cyberpunk 2077 will keep me away from EA for ever more.
  • Wurrsmycash
    492 posts An Exciting Prospect
    FIFA Needs a MAJOR overall for next gen....new engine, mechanics, servers to name a few. A rehashed FIFA 20.1 won't cut it next year but sadly like you said, with the next gen coming this Christmas, can't see much resources going into current gen versions of FIFA 21
  • CaptainDan-
    1854 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm bored of this FIFA now, tbf it lasted longer than last year's. I think alot of people here overthink the whole thing. Just play untill the game gets boring, it's just another game at the end of the day. Problem comes when people spend FIFA points and suddenly feel owed something from the game.
  • Mutu10gol
    2774 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great thread op, a like from me.
  • Mmandras
    Just to be clear, I didn't ment that as criticism. It's just a different game, a change of focus. More like Dark Souls kind of thing. Endless grind against unforgiving opponents, you feel like you've beaten a boss when you complete some ridiculous objective like lob pass or headers, and you have to give your best against "common" mob in Rivals. You have a sense of progress in the seasons, and random drops (rewards).

Do you actually prefer having Bateson team to a healthy challenge? I actually like the grind, it's the whole point of Fifa for me now. The "content" of the game is constant refresh of challenges, not the new Mbappe or Aguero card. And beating opponent for me is not enough - you have to beat it with specific conditions that leads you to completing objective. It's more like a regular game now, but against real opponent.
  • AliasMaurice
    2346 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fifa Souls
  • Mmandras
    Fifa Souls

Hah, great name.
  • regia5bg
    864 posts Semi-Pro
    I did around 90% of the objective players, as most of them were quite easy, but the only one who ever made my team is Ozil Scream. Zaha storyline too (he plays 50% of my matches). At the end of the day, I think SBCs are the most powerful way to improve your team for cheap (Auba POTM is still one of the best striker for my way to play, and Piquè Scream is still a beast, aswell J.Zanetti and Angelino are key players in my team).

None of the various Iniesta, Ziyech, ... will ever make my team, and I'd say they'd even not enough to be substitutes.

The only fact is that the more objective players you get, the more you'll get, as for a lot of objectives you need something specific that you usually don't have in your team.

I still field anyway some 'normal' player like Sané and Pépé OTW, who're surely not the best, but with a BPL team I'm happy with them.

(I always get 17 wins in WL if I'm able to play 30 games; I reach 20 only after TOTS, every year is the same xD)
  • BlitzersNL
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    Ultimate team has the wrong name anyway. It should be about what your ultimate team is, with your favourite players. Not what some youtuber has as a team.

• Mmandras
    The only fact is that the more objective players you get, the more you'll get, as for a lot of objectives you need something specific that you usually don't have in your team.

Great point. Although it applies to first owner objectives only, which are mostly just for the icons. Others you can just buy from the market, 83-4 meta cards are cheap, and sell after completition with minimal loss.

While we're at it, I regret putting scream Ozil into SBC. I will not put another objective card into any kind of SBC until end of the season. I even prefer playing with them because of how hard you've worked for it and neat dynamic pictures.
  • Mmandras
    BlitzersNL wrote: »
    Ultimate team has the wrong name anyway. It should be about what your ultimate team is, with your favourite players. Not what some youtuber has as a team.

Real football bores me to death these days, unfortunately. Everybody's slow and clunky, like 48 rated chinese league players, with terrible passing and finishing.

I think that people mostly watch it now as excuse to get drunk with their buddies or making it more fun with the betting. Players don't even sweat anymore, not to mention faking fouls, everything is corrupted with big money... In my country, or Sout America, it's also closely related to drug cartels and can be really violent and barbaric.

But good for you, Ajax is such a cool team with great tradition.
  • Jonboyparker
    5585 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 13
    UT to me is building MY ultimate team. I like building fun teams throughout the year until I get there but EA are trying to dictate the way you play and the cards you can achieve. Coin and time sinks are everywhere and objectives force you to use players you don’t like.

I dont play for competition. I play for progress. Seasons was always a great mode for me to try and complete (get to D1). I know it’s easy for some out there and I get that it was boring but I think most people did struggle or at least found it a challenge. Rivals is similar but it’s been ruined this year. I don’t look at my rank or division anymore. There’s no point. The game is stale and it’s just about collecting cards.

The removal of icon sbcs only means I won’t get the icons I really want am instead feed the dregs that ea think think I’m worth. I’m gradually becoming a full time trader with NO aspirations to play. Surely that’s the opposite of what EA wanted. It’s the only way to make my team without buying packs.

We have a choice. Spend 90% of the game playing with trash players or spend money on the game. Both are ridiculous concepts for a computer game.

FUT is now a competitive mode entirely. Objective wins, WL wins, meta teams, SB time sinks. The best are rewarded and so they should be. That’s not a problem, but they are rewards at the expensive of the poor or lower skill level.

Most people play every night becuase they NEED to. They can’t miss rewards, need to fight for that next rank or miss out on objectives. The game is only 1 year long. Do you know any other game that requires so much excessive gameplay for it to all restart in 1 year? The world has gone crazy... this is now the norm 😂 ‘The Grind’ has become normal. Since when was a computer game a grind. It should be fun and accessible for everyone. Leave competition to WL imo.

I took a step back from chasing rewards and WL. It’s been great. No WL for a long and I’ve not noticed any impact to my coins or team.
  • Knowlesdinho
    12887 posts Has That Special Something
    I have a team with 7 icons...I reckon I've used it less than I've used Prem players for objectives.

It really is becoming a joke. I've barely played a game since Thursday.