Is 442 the new meta?

MxMLover
208 posts Sunday League Hero
?

Comments

• selb
    7317 posts League Winner
    I'm not sure about "new meta" but its definitely the most balanced formation imo
  • Empyrium7
    3783 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 8
    no
    most pros and youtubers use 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-1-2 (2).

even though 4-4-2 is usable this year, I don't feel that it's better than a narrow formation with fast build up and ping pong passes.
  • Chavez76
    6282 posts Big Money Move
    nope.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    Definitely not.
  • Fifapayne
    2533 posts Fans' Favourite
    Empyrium7 wrote: »
    no

even though 4-4-2 is usable this year, I don't feel that it's better than a narrow formation with fast build up and ping pong passes.

41212 is terrible this year
  • ChappellRovers
    3127 posts National Call-Up
    I use 4-4-2 with all balanced/rigid instructions. Dislike the formation in real life but it is really good on FIFA, it is the only one I have found that is half decent against every other formation/tactic.
  • Empyrium7
    3783 posts National Call-Up
    Fifapayne wrote: »
    Empyrium7 wrote: »
    no

41212 is terrible this year

I'm talking about the narrow one.
    with 3 fast and agile forwards. it's one of the most formation I face in WL and Rivals
  • Futfanatic
    15229 posts World Class
    Its the most fun for me at the very least. 2 strikers + 2 wingers and 1 attacking CM coming in late has been a joy.
  • PelzyWelzy
    10341 posts Has That Special Something
    Futfanatic wrote: »
    Its the most fun for me at the very least. 2 strikers + 2 wingers and 1 attacking CM coming in late has been a joy.

Yeah my LCM usually chips in with a decent goal return... stay central and edge of box for crosses works a treat.
  • Paw_Patrol70
    158 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Do you have nice CT and player instructions?
  • yosef167
    1715 posts Play-Off Hero
    Futfanatic wrote: »

exactly .. i tried every formation this year and the most funny/let me play really good football against all formations was 4 4 2 with CM that has attacking instruction
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    I'm using 4-4-2 myself at the moment, feels like I've one hand tied behind my back. I'm at a huge disadvantage against these 4-2-3-1 merchants, still slapping the majority of them with a massive handicap. I went 11-0 with the 4-4-2 in fut champs the weekend, god only knows what sort of damage I could do using a meta formation. I refuse to be a sheep though and persist with the 4-4-2.
  • The_Faries_76
    658 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Last WL I won 7 from first 10 using 41212 and 4222, then proceeded to lose the next 10 in a row. (I know I should have stopped and changed something sooner than I did)
    Changed to 442 won 7 from the last 10.

The 442 felt really good.
    I can't get 4231 to work properly at all, lots of passing options to keep posesion but limited attacking options.
  • Paw_Patrol70
    158 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    CT and instructions please?
  • kraid
    5361 posts Big Money Move
    Retro_G wrote: »
    I'm using 4-4-2 myself at the moment, feels like I've one hand tied behind my back. I'm at a huge disadvantage against these 4-2-3-1 merchants, still slapping the majority of them with a massive handicap. I went 11-0 with the 4-4-2 in fut champs the weekend, god only knows what sort of damage I could do using a meta formation. I refuse to be a sheep though and persist with the 4-4-2.

Bro 442 is meta. Everyone seems to use that and 4231. If you want to be edgy play 3 at the back. Otherwise you’re just kidding yourself and are as much of a ‘sheep’ as the rest
  • ChappellRovers
    kraid wrote: »

Bro 442 is meta. Everyone seems to use that and 4231. If you want to be edgy play 3 at the back. Otherwise you’re just kidding yourself and are as much of a ‘sheep’ as the rest

I think the CAM 4-4-2 is meta a flat one isn’t though? Could be wrong, I have been using the flat 4-4-2 and don’t see it that often.
  • kraid

I think the CAM 4-4-2 is meta a flat one isn’t though? Could be wrong, I have been using the flat 4-4-2 and don’t see it that often.

The cam variant is 41212 not 442. Pros have been using 442 for ages, which imo makes it one of the meta formations.
  • Retro_G

Lies, 4-4-2 is a hipster formation mate!
  • kraid

Lies, 4-4-2 is a hipster formation mate!

Lol. Nope you’re just like everyone else! Muahahaha
  • HocTocHai
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    If you ditch your favorite formation just because it became meta you are just a sheep that follows meta haters. Play the way you want
  • ChappellRovers

The cam variant is 41212 not 442. Pros have been using 442 for ages, which imo makes it one of the meta formations.

Fair enough didn’t know - i hate the flat 4-4-2 would never use it on Football Manager for example but for some reason my results have just been miles better with flat 4-4-2.
  • lippyone
    2089 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 8
    I find 442 does not wuite work as well for me as 4231.

I always find I miss having a Cam, especially in the version with Two CDMs

And when I play the version with Two CMs I miss having a CDM
    I suspect you need to be a very good player to make 442 work properly, have to be good at defending
  • BeastlyHusla
    5983 posts Big Money Move
    442 and 41212 wide is all I saw when I played rivals in div6.

442 is hella annoying. Feels more defensive than 4231
  • The_Faries_76
    658 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited January 9
    lippyone wrote: »
    I find 442 does not wuite work as well for me as 4231.

I always find I miss having a Cam, especially in the version with Two CDMs

And when I play the version with Two CMs I miss having a CDM
    I suspect you need to be a very good player to make 442 work properly, have to be good at defending

I'm no expert, but work rates for CMs in 442 seem really important. I had Keane, h/m and renato h/h, stay back on Keane and default on renato. Worked really well, renato was everywhere. Linked the play up really well, and scored quite a few goals, while Keane protected the back 4
  • kathers81
    391 posts Sunday League Hero
    SBC Battaglia and Futmas Acuna are another 2 that would work well and the hyperlink between them makes it quite useful to hybrid.
  • Stephan91182
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play 4-1-2-1-2 wide since the start and finish gold 3 or 2 every week doubt i would do better with a different formation
  • GULAG
    681 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited January 9
    Been using 442 temporarily, it's ok nothing special just balanced really but it's good for custom tactics simple stuff.
  • Denz
    2871 posts Fans' Favourite
    I like 442 but feel, especially against better opponents you need to make sure your two cms are quality all rounders.

It's perfectly balanced which is why it's popular in game. You can go wide, you can go direct through the middle and when defending you have good width to deal with the cut backs.

• Seandimes
    2997 posts National Call-Up
    442 has been meta basically since release. Especially in combination with the "overload ballside" tactic. Main issue of the formation is that you need two great cms for it to work. If you can get your hands on a Gullit, Vieira, TOTY midfielders, its one of the strongest formations there is.
  • Retro_G
    Seandimes wrote: »
    442 has been meta basically since release. Especially in combination with the "overload ballside" tactic. Main issue of the formation is that you need two great cms for it to work. If you can get your hands on a Gullit, Vieira, TOTY midfielders, its one of the strongest formations there is.

I'm going to blow your mind. I make it work with underpowered Futmus Sissoko, Kante. :o