The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

arena gameplay - user sliders

Mmandras
2974 posts National Call-Up
Have any of you guys noticed, you can affect chosen player performance in the arena with "user" sliders in the settings? Default is 50 and you can turn everything up or down from 0-100.

When you lower running and shooting sliders, it looks oddly familiar to what we interpret as lag in the game, running through the mud feeling, etc. It's just different feeling from usual button delay.

It's interesting that increasing shooting sliders doesn't really get you better at scoring (in fact it's the opposite), but speed sliders will be much more noticable.

I wonder, and this is just a theory, if EA actually change ingame sliders as a quick fix solution to server overload, on the assumption that lowered moving speed might get us better control over players.

Comments

• WarrenBarton
    9877 posts League Winner
    some of the sliders are error sliders and the higher the number the higher the error chance, the pace is just more pace the higher the number.

Back in the days of being able to improve your virtual pro offline this was an easy way to boost the objectives
  • Mmandras
    2974 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 5
    Ah so that's why I was missing so much, 0 get you lowest error?

Since all the gameplay elements are highly configurable, is EA using some kind of algorythm to change those settings in the game based on miliseconds delay, not for the purpose of dynamic difficulty that would be your obvious assumption and denied by EA.

So, basically, if you have 60ms lag to a server, and opponent have 30ms lag, your actual running slider ingame would be lowered to "help" you control the ball.

That might be the answer to why the gameplay feels so inconsistant.
  • WarrenBarton
    9877 posts League Winner
    edited January 5
    Mmandras wrote: »
    Ah so that's why I was missing so much, 0 get you lowest error?

Since all the gameplay elements are highly configurable, is EA using some kind of algorythm to change those settings in the game based on miliseconds delay, not for the purpose of dynamic difficulty that would be your obvious assumption and denied by EA.

So, basically, if you have 60ms lag to a server, and opponent have 30ms lag, your actual running slider ingame would be lowered to "help" you control the ball.

That might be the answer to why the gameplay feels so inconsistant.

I get the impression that they adjust the sliders a small amount on a regular basis, that’s why one weekend to the next feels slightly different. Not sure if the sliders are being used for lag compensation though 🤷‍♂️

No need for patches to adjust a slider