The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Realistically, how good you really are?

Mmandras
2974 posts National Call-Up
Drop backers, bad servers, lag switchers, disconnect cheaters, cherry pickers, EA mechanics... The list of excuses goes on. But when you look at the top replay players on WL channel, their basic movement and ball control is on another level completely. There is such a huge gap between us and them. Well, me at least.

You can rarely see posts on this forum with questions about how to improve skill. Most posts are related to EA, card prices and tactics. None of those matter in the slightest if you don't have what it takes to understand the game on the most fundamental level (and that include using exploits, also).

So, what REALLY drags you back into endless loop of doing the same mitakes and improving?

I'm not sure if it's just the old habit, or lag, but I tend to play really straithforward, with lots of running through defenders. I don't really have good enough vision of free player movement, and my ball controll is abysmal compared to some of you guys on the forum, and galaxy away from pro players.

I also don't understand this game on the tactical side also. I get outrun and pressured all the time.

One of the main issues, and it kind of slips into the "excuse" category, is also I don't have good enough connection to pull out skill moves. I don't understand how is it possible that pro players pulls off dragbacks and ball rolls so damn fast. But it's only partionally on the connection side. If I play offline, I tend to play the same.

Comments

• rankon.
    2233 posts Fans' Favourite
    You sound a similar player to me. Also, I become lazy when I play for over half hour and start forcing passes when there clearly isn’t a gap in the opposition defence. The goals I score come from luck by that time
  • Mr_Matchup1
    5685 posts Big Money Move
    I'm crap, I can't keep concentration for the full game and rarely get a clean sheet. I'd probably get better results if the games were shorter. I can't do skill moves I just wiggle the sticks about and hope for the best :D. Only thing I'm half decent at is passing the ball about to create space
  • PelzyWelzy
    10178 posts Has That Special Something
    I'm crap, I can't keep concentration for the full game and rarely get a clean sheet. I'd probably get better results if the games were shorter. I can't do skill moves I just wiggle the sticks about and hope for the best :D. Only thing I'm half decent at is passing the ball about to create space

This is so me :joy:
  • Nervous_Nick
    6177 posts Big Money Move
    PelzyWelzy wrote: »

Me too! :D old school :D
  • My connection is near perfect (I think), I've only experienced awful issues a handful of times at most, so I don't have that excuse.

What makes me stick to my division (currently 3 but no doubt back to 4 shortly) is a combination of the following:

- I want to score 'good' goals. If I'm through on goal, more often than not I will try to chip the keeper. Costs me a goal a game at a minimum.

- I over play. In the passing sense. I try to pass my way into walking the ball in to the net if there's no clear through ball.

- I refuse to let the AI defend and unfortunately, the AI does it better than myself despite me being pretty good at it.

- I don't abuse certain mechanics. I will rarely shoot near post, I don't know how to do low drivens, I will not abuse the ball roll etc.

- I play on 5 depth, 6 width with full backs on get forward in a 41212...with Hulk playing RB. Needless to say I'm not anywhere near as methodical as you'd need to be to play at a better level.
  • ZeFeZ
    2691 posts National Call-Up

Gotta love this! Just like me.

I wiggle it around and than Im suprised when it works haha. :D
  • RadioShaq
    15599 posts Moderator
    I still get stuck in the old fifa rut of pace and ping pong passing. I mean I wouldn’t say it’s gone but it’s not on the level of older fifas but hard to forget.
  • Maddez
    167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I will Never know my real potential because I share an Account with a friend of mine. Each of us plays Max. 15 WL Games.
  • Im your typical ANGRY player ok maybe not angry but frustrated.....

I literally dominate 80% of opponents in all areas possession shots/shot on target /passing etc and its like my opponent just sits back for 85mins gets that freak rebound/deflection or i have a buggy player switch and i lose 1-0 lol

WL i regularly get silver 1 with only 1-2 losses but feel so drained from BS rivals gameplay/objective/xp farming i cant be bothered to finish the WL once i get the entry fee (2K) back

Rivals i F.K.I.N HATE unlike WL i have a 50/50 Win/Loss ratio and just feels like BS gameplay all the time....
  • Craigy21
    310 posts Sunday League Hero

Thought it was just me! :D
  • TheMightyBee
    2979 posts National Call-Up
    I’ve never used custom tactics or OP methods, drop back and 3 man counters. Always played with a balanced team passing quickly up the pitch and moving the other team around. I often dominate games and I’m in division 4 doing the icon objectives without too much bother. Good players destroy me on the counter attack and someone who is great at manual defending will smash me.

I take advantage of people who use the AI to defend as it can be very simple to dribble past and score.

WL I never bother going past silver or gold 1, find it such a boring mode. I probably win 60% of my WL games.
  • TheMightyBee
    2979 posts National Call-Up
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I still get stuck in the old fifa rut of pace and ping pong passing. I mean I wouldn’t say it’s gone but it’s not on the level of older fifas but hard to forget.

Let go of the sprint button and take care with your passes, you can still ping it around quickly in the final third and score great moves. Sprint button engages the AI to defend.
  • RadioShaq
    15599 posts Moderator
    RadioShaq wrote: »

Let go of the sprint button and take care with your passes, you can still ping it around quickly in the final third and score great moves. Sprint button engages the AI to defend.

Right but it’s still hard to forget lbying while holding sprint non stop zig zag dribbling chaining non stop skill moves ping ponging it at lightning speed then run around the gk after taking on the whole defense. I mean we had that for how long? Hard to break the habit and fall back to it every now and then.
  • Legend Killer
    1197 posts Professional
    I’ve been average at this game for the past 2/3 years to be honest; I used to be much better when I had more time to play before the old adult life kicked in.

Nowadays, I’m not up to speed with dribbling or skills so I rely heavily on passing which only gets me so far as I can’t go past anybody. My team isn’t stacked either so I’m at a disadvantage straight away and I’m not very good at defending either.

I lose more than I win now and that’s down to me 100% with most games ending 2-1 either way... I rarely ever score more than 3 online.
  • BigBadBaloo
    408 posts Sunday League Hero
    My problem is that I am a genuine football fan and I attempt to play the game as such. I do not abuse anything I wouldn’t generally see in real life.

I do enjoy winning however I would never spam skill moves such as seen in Fifa 19 and Fifa 20. Constant drag back and ball roll before passing and allowing the AI to defend for me. That’s not me and I don’t care if it holds me back on Fifa, I won’t change.

I also would never invest enough money and time into the game to teach that level. Fair play to those who do, it’s their decision to do so.

The only person I have seen who plays the game really well is Kurt. He defends, he passes and he doesn’t use skills a lot. He is on another planet when it comes to transferring football knowledge onto this game as opposed to abusing game mechanics.
  • Lfc23
    2305 posts Fans' Favourite
    Considering I have played this game for years aslong as I can remember really ,am still a average player

My game never seems to improve no matter what, it’s strange tho because if u was to play any other game on the market every year you would become really good at it, but fifa just doesn’t seem to work that way 😂
  • Ballist1x
    2948 posts National Call-Up
    I'm div 5 gold 3 good realistically
  • Aspas10
    188 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hard to say. I'm yet to play a weekend league. Played a few days and didn't enjoy the gameplay at all
  • AlexBear012
    2183 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm silver 2 div 8 so yeah im pretty bad
  • llcg04
    517 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2019
    i usually get gold 3 or gold 2 but it is just because of servers and momentum. normally i would be elite ;)
  • TheTataGuy
    2850 posts National Call-Up
    Pretty gud
  • Retro_G
    31956 posts National Team Captain
    edited December 2019
    I'm the best that ever did it, on my day capable of slapping anyone!

EDIT: My only weakness is the EA servers, are their trash netcode that put me a good two seconds behind the play, leave my team feeling like it's stuck in mud.
  • Rippa
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    I lose concentration very quickly. I may be applying tons of pressure on my opponent, bombarding him with quality shots, and none go in, get caught on a counter (knowing this will happen) and he'll score on his first shot. And that will set the tone for not just that game, but it will carry over to (that mind frame) into the rest of my games.

I'm not very good at all. I hover between 5-6 mostly 6. I win and lose about the same amount. Basically one night I'll win just about every match, the next I'll lose almost all of them.

I do see the runs that my players make, but fail in supplying a great pass most of the time. (Which is downfall). The pros make it look so easy.

Where I make the most mistakes is after taking the ball off my opponent, I tend to quickly pass upfield and attempt a 1st time 1/2 to my other striker and it's always stolen, even when it looks like I have tons of room. That's my fault. I need to work on that.

Defensively I'm scrappy. But admittedly if I conceed I sorta get into panic mode. Oh well.

I'm just average or slightly less than. Wl for me is a disaster. But I just keep playing even after I have "retired "20 million times.
  • EquinoxShane
    583 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Cool post 🤠 realistically I'm a good player but as others have mentioned I don't like exploiting and I hate using boring meta teams so against great players, my non meta team can be disadvantaged.

I don't really take note of whose a pro or streamer etc but over the FIFA's I've beaten some of the big ones (mainly friends telling me they saw it).

I remember a couple FIFA's (Xbox EU) ago versing the most sweatiest try hard on planet earth - team full on prime icons like Gullit/ Eusabio, Viera etc, and he was a meta exploiting player, who no doubt played every WL (I was lucky to do 1 a month)... I managed to beat him with a decent non meta team and prime Best as my main man 😎
    I checked his GT and he had thousands of followers, I looked his stats etc, he was a 30-0 regular back when fewer people got it. On the monthly leaderboard in the world he was number 1 when I played him, his monthly record was 119 - 1, second was about 4 losses behind. After seeing this I was quite stoked to be this guy's only loss, he deserved it too for using the exploits and having a boring but great team.
  • TDOF
    1997 posts Fans' Favourite
    Mmandras wrote: »
    Drop backers, bad servers, lag switchers, disconnect cheaters, cherry pickers, EA mechanics... The list of excuses goes on. But when you look at the top replay players on WL channel, their basic movement and ball control is on another level completely. There is such a huge gap between us and them. Well, me at least.

You can rarely see posts on this forum with questions about how to improve skill. Most posts are related to EA, card prices and tactics. None of those matter in the slightest if you don't have what it takes to understand the game on the most fundamental level (and that include using exploits, also).

So, what REALLY drags you back into endless loop of doing the same mitakes and improving?

I'm not sure if it's just the old habit, or lag, but I tend to play really straithforward, with lots of running through defenders. I don't really have good enough vision of free player movement, and my ball controll is abysmal compared to some of you guys on the forum, and galaxy away from pro players.

I also don't understand this game on the tactical side also. I get outrun and pressured all the time.

One of the main issues, and it kind of slips into the "excuse" category, is also I don't have good enough connection to pull out skill moves. I don't understand how is it possible that pro players pulls off dragbacks and ball rolls so damn fast. But it's only partionally on the connection side. If I play offline, I tend to play the same.

till we get a good game (GAME) not simulation, we'll never truely know who's the best
  • Knowlesdinho
    12874 posts Has That Special Something
    I'd say I'm fairly average. I win more than I lose, and I can most of the time hold my own against someone elite level.

My biggest strength is not getting tilted. The amount of times I've come back from 2 goals or more down and won is purely down to the fact that I keep my head.

I also adapt well to the playstyle I'm facing, which is usually because most players use 1 or 2 tactics. They might fool me once, but usually never again in the same match.

My biggest weakness that I can't seem to shake is sometimes making stupid decisions like playing a ball straight to the opposition player.

I also seem to be doomed with 1on1s vs the keeper. Ball roll they say, yes into the defender that was previously 10 yards behind you. 😂😂
  • Mr_Matchup1
    5685 posts Big Money Move
    PelzyWelzy wrote: »

Me too! :D old school :D

:D Just out of interest what div are you guys I'm div6 and gold 3( if I play wl) I'm guessing we will be all similar level
  • Rippa
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'd say I'm fairly average. I win more than I lose, and I can most of the time hold my own against someone elite level.

My biggest strength is not getting tilted. The amount of times I've come back from 2 goals or more down and won is purely down to the fact that I keep my head.

I also adapt well to the playstyle I'm facing, which is usually because most players use 1 or 2 tactics. They might fool me once, but usually never again in the same match.

My biggest weakness that I can't seem to shake is sometimes making stupid decisions like playing a ball straight to the opposition player.

I also seem to be doomed with 1on1s vs the keeper. Ball roll they say, yes into the defender that was previously 10 yards behind you. 😂😂

Your biggest strength, is my biggest weakness.
  • Gogs
    520 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Division 4, Gold 2 in WL, Elite 1 in SB.
    My biggest problem is that i am trying to play Fifa like a real Football.