Premier league icons

MxMLover
208 posts Sunday League Hero
Why are there no spurs or man city icons? I didnt follow the premier league in the 80's or 90's. Where there no great players in that time?

Comments

• CarpeDiem
    2488 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lineker is a spurs icon
  • Delvinho
    2139 posts Fans' Favourite
    Licensing and other things restricts the icons. I’d love a Gazza & Ledley King card Even as an Arsenal fan
  • BlitzersNL
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    City was mostly ❤️❤️❤️❤️ before receiving all the oil money
  • Chavez76
    6283 posts Big Money Move
    BlitzersNL wrote: »
    City was mostly **** before receiving all the oil money

^^
  • Invincibility
    4682 posts National Call-Up
    City getting that Arab money!
  • ml1dch
    1534 posts Play-Off Hero
    MxMLover wrote: »
    I didnt follow the premier league in the 80's

There's a very good reason for that.
  • Revolver_310
    437 posts Sunday League Hero
    Paul Dickov and Nicky Weaver icon cards from when City were in the third tier of English football 20 years ago.

What would their ratings be? 72? 73? Superstars.
  • SimmoEFC
    11613 posts Has That Special Something
    City weren't even in the prem back then :D

Spurs were just a decent cup team, nothing more.
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    City are probably the only team you can say “didn’t really exist before the modern era”. A lot of younger people aren’t aware of any of the players pre 92 or even during the 90 / early 2000s. But City literally only coming in to it recently.

Richard Dunne has over 350 appearances for them, hardly a legend though.

Niall Quinn made over 200 appearances in the early 90s, again, legend status is arguable.

Players that would likely make it later in life; Aguero, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Zabaleta, Tevez, Sterling and Kompany. You could argue many more but we are talking years down the line from now as these are mostly still playing...

• Numlocked_
    1980 posts Fans' Favourite
    Id love a Toure or a Kompany!
  • AliasMaurice
    2397 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hoddle should have a card. Maybe waddle.

Klinsmann should if klose has one.

City players in the 90s. Not likely.
  • NornIron
    13876 posts Has That Special Something
    Sunderland were a bigger team than City back then.
  • Revolver_310
    437 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ossie Ardiles maybe for Spurs? One of the first foreign players in the English top flight. Jimmy Greaves?
  • Vinny1979
    5294 posts Big Money Move
    Kevin Phillips icon card

Man City?

Usually wheel out frannie lee from their “glory days”

Pathetic club.

Always in our shadow
  • MxMLover
    edited December 2019
    How about ginola? Yaya toure? Van der vaart?
  • DaMMian
    1381 posts Professional
    City getting that Arab money!

Currently, football is big business, all you have to do is look at the estates of PL clubs owners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs
  • DannySTFC
    4400 posts National Call-Up
    Icon Sheikh Mansour.
  • DaMMian
    1381 posts Professional
    MxMLover wrote: »
    How about ginola? Yaya toure? Van der vaart?

Vincent Kompany, Kolo Toure, Richard Dunne, Nigel De Jong, Samir Nasri, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland, David Silva, Dietmar Hamann, James Milner, Craig Bellamy,
  • TheBenson
    425 posts Sunday League Hero
    Cantona ICON plz
  • ChappellRovers
    3139 posts National Call-Up
    City are probably the only team you can say “didn’t really exist before the modern era”. A lot of younger people aren’t aware of any of the players pre 92 or even during the 90 / early 2000s. But City literally only coming in to it recently.

Niall Quinn made over 200 appearances in the early 90s, again, legend status is arguable.

Players that would likely make it later in life; Aguero, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Zabaleta, Tevez, Sterling and Kompany. You could argue many more but we are talking years down the line from now as these are mostly still playing...

FEED THE GOAT AND HE WILL SCORE.

From a West Ham fan who remembers Shaun Goater very well 👍🏻
  • CaptainDan-
    1854 posts Fans' Favourite
    CarpeDiem wrote: »
    Lineker is a spurs icon

More of a Leicester city icon tbf
  • TW1103
    3084 posts National Call-Up
    I think the icon selections are a bit strange anyway... I can never get my head around what makes Ian Wright an "icon"... A talented player back in the day, indeed a cult hero and a club legend... But an Icon? Not for me.
    Personally, I think it would be cool to maybe bring in something like a 'Cult Hero' card type next year. You could have every player in the top 5 leagues have a player who isn't necessarily a star outside of their club's following, but is someone who is what it means to be a part of that team.
    You could have players like Di Canio for West Ham, Ledley King for Spurs, etc
  • Drachenfells
    1322 posts Professional
    I would argue Di Canio is worthy of a icon card, many happy memories of watching that nutter, and I'm not a West Ham fan, you just never knew what he was going to do.
  • Drachenfells
    1322 posts Professional
    Because of his questionable political views I doubt it will ever happen though.
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite

FEED THE GOAT AND HE WILL SCORE.

From a West Ham fan who remembers Shaun Goater very well 👍🏻

One of the last players to break the 30 goal a season barrier for City pre Aguero, early 2000s if I remember? But hardly a legend. When you compare to the rest of the players in the icon category I doubt would ever make it.
  • MxMLover
    I see some names i never heard of lol. How about tore andre flo. Gudjohnson. Solksjear, york, andy cole
  • TW1103
    3084 posts National Call-Up
    I would argue Di Canio is worthy of a icon card, many happy memories of watching that nutter, and I'm not a West Ham fan, you just never knew what he was going to do.

I wouldn't say he is an icon of football though. As one at West Ham, definitely. But not a football icon.
    If another West Ham player was to be added, it should be Sir Geoff Hurst, being the only man to score a hattrick in a world cup final.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3647 posts National Call-Up
    Dennis Law played for City so you could include him I guess
  • Delboy13710
    8080 posts League Winner
    SimmoEFC wrote: »
    City weren't even in the prem back then :D

Spurs were just a decent cup team, nothing more.

That's got nothing to do with individuals arguably spurs have had better individuals then Everton over the years and won less .

Greaves , Hoddle , Klinsmann, Ginola , Gascoigne to name a few all iconic players of there generation .