Simple steps to improve Game latency and screen lag

rezyy
751 posts Semi-Pro
Hi every1

just thought I would post this here, although its not going to do me any favours as it will help people I may be playing against in future.

I play on xbox1 X and have a 4K HDR TV, so this is for people like me or any1 on xbox one who has also has hdr tv.

first make sure you also always using GAME mode which is the TV picture setting. this is controlled by your TV, not your XBOX.

now most importantly, if your are like me and play on an XBOX1 X, u need to turn off HDR10, you will find this on the xbox setting inside your picture setting, I think its under video mode.

so basically, always play on GAME mode, this will give you lowest latency for playing games your TV can support.
and if you have an HDR setting on your xbox, switch it off.

trust me, the difference is very noticeable, I cant play otherwise, and my win ratio improves 10 fold.

this can also be done for playstation users as every should have a GAME mode setting on there TV, and am sure the playstation will have a setting for HDR that can be switched.

don't worry if you cant find the HDR setting, it means your TV probably does not support it anyway.

also I don't lose any of the quality of games 4k graphics, it just turns of the HDR setting, but also makes the picture a lot brighter which I prefer, as everyone know HDR can sometimes make the picture to dark.

now once you have done this, and before every match, just check your TV picture setting is still on GAME mode, and away you go

hope this helps.

REZ.

Comments

• pekkaa88
    7267 posts Big Money Move
    Nope.. Its the servers not my tv settings
  • CharlieC
    7425 posts League Winner
    pekkaa88 wrote: »

• Salvatori
    2046 posts Fans' Favourite

• Berlus
    1338 posts Professional

• Chavez76
    9052 posts League Winner

• rezyy
    751 posts Semi-Pro
    edited December 2019

away he goes to check if his TV is on GAME mode and if his XBOX has an HDR10 setting.

This coming from some1 who has over 6000 forum post. tut tut.

Yes I know there are issues with the servers, but every1 needs to make sure they do there best with there own setup before playing online or stop moaning that its the servers all the time, as I can assure you a lot of it is people playing on a VIVID, MOVIE, or SPORT TV setting, which is just crazy.

REZ
  • pekkaa88
    rezyy wrote: »

away he goes to check if his TV is on GAME mode and if his XBOX has an HDR10 setting.

Yes I know there are issues with the servers, but every1 needs to make sure they do there best with there own setup before playing online or stop moaning that its the servers all the time, as I can assure you a lot of it is people playing on a VIVID, MOVIE, or SPORT TV setting, which is just crazy.

REZ

If the problem was my tv settings the gameplay wouldnt be fine at night/morning.. No need to check anything
  • rezyy
    751 posts Semi-Pro

REZ

If the problem was my tv settings the gameplay wouldnt be fine at night/morning.. No need to check anything

ah that's were your wrong, all am saying is this will give you the best playable experience any time you play, trust me all my friends have seen big improvements too.

REZ
  • Fifapayne
    4313 posts National Call-Up
    It’s the servers lol
    Wouldn’t the tv cause frame drop not delayed movement? Any game you turn down settings you get improved fps not improved latency.
  • ironawin1
    1212 posts Professional
    Or just game on a monitor which is "most of the time" cheaper than a tv
  • pekkaa88

REZ

ah that's were your wrong, all am saying is this will give you the best playable experience any time you play, trust me all my friends have seen big improvements too.

REZ

You remind me of EAs IT support guys..

• Jdizzle
    2775 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's the crappy servers. I've played on cod/fortnite little input delay issue, you'd think you would have more problems with these games because of the amount of people playing in one game but nope it's just ea.
  • rezyy
    751 posts Semi-Pro
    Fifapayne wrote: »
    It’s the servers lol
    Wouldn’t the tv cause frame drop not delayed movement? Any game you turn down settings you get improved fps not improved latency.

GAME mode optimizes your TV picture for GAMING, giving you the lowest input latency your TV can produce,
    ie faster response times, and I have noticed that turning off HDR10 on the XBOX really takes this 10 steps further.

HDR makes your picture so much darker and your TV has to do a lot off work in the background keeping all the lighting effects running during gameplay, which increases the latency I imagine, I have noticed a big diference turning this off and a much brighter picture. only trying to help. up to folk if they an to try, and then they can post on here the outcome, but only if they have followed everything I have said.

REZ
  • rezyy
    751 posts Semi-Pro

REZ

REZ

:D maybe because I have worked in IT for the last 30 years and still do, yes I am 48
  • yogibear
    1370 posts Professional
    But when the gameplay is supersmooth and responsive, my telly is probably just superfresh after a good nap right?
  • pekkaa88

REZ

REZ

:D maybe because I have worked in IT for the last 30 years and still do, yes I am 48

Dont take it as a compliment.. Problems are obviously connection based when the gameplay is way better during off peek hours..
  • d3b4s1s
    641 posts An Exciting Prospect
    All this helps, but when you can clearly see that when the gameplay is good, lag and delay free, your existing system works perfectly well.

So going by pure simple and basic logic, it's not our setup, it's the game.
  • CarpeDiem
    3174 posts National Call-Up
    I have a 1ms 240hz monitor designed for gaming and still experience all the lag/delay on fifa so yeah this ain't gonna work.
  • rezyy
    751 posts Semi-Pro
    CarpeDiem wrote: »
    I have a 1ms 240hz monitor designed for gaming and still experience all the lag/delay on fifa so yeah this ain't gonna work.

there are loads off factors to take in too account all the problems people experience on here, yes the servers are 1 off them, but to simply rule out ways of helping others is just not called for.

your issue, yes could be the game servers, but your monitor wont help you if you have HDR10 switched on in your xbox setting, or a poor internet connection, or the wrong cable running from your xbox to your monitor.

all am doing is trying to make sure people take a few mins and check there own setup, this will help regardless
    of it being a server issue or not, because am telling u right now, even if the servers get fixed and they are 100% perfect, playing Fifa on a TV with the picture mode set to MOVIE or SPORT will give you an automatic disadvantage against some1 using GAME mode.

REZ
  • rezyy
    751 posts Semi-Pro
    d3b4s1s wrote: »
    All this helps, but when you can clearly see that when the gameplay is good, lag and delay free, your existing system works perfectly well.

So going by pure simple and basic logic, it's not our setup, it's the game.

I have never said there isn't an issue with the servers, all I am saying is this will help to combat it.
  • Fab
    19662 posts Club Captain
    It's good advice. Will definitely be an improvement, albeit not massive. Can only help those who wish to be helped!
  • BernaLeo87
    432 posts Sunday League Hero