Uk isp?

Pb91
352 posts Sunday League Hero
Was previously on BT never had a problem with lag or anything like that. Went on holiday people i live with changed to sky and ive not had a smooth game since. Is anyone else on sky having this problem? And is there anyone who can recommend a better provider than BT in the uk?

Comments

• sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2019
    ISP in UK makes next to no difference as if you’re on the copper network it all runs through open reach anyway. All the ISPs do is rent the line and cabinet space from openreach. Sky’s equipment is pretty poor as standard. But I went from BT to sky using my own router and there is absolutely no difference.

We struggle because we’re connecting to servers on mainland Europe
  • Pb91
    Im on fiber not copper. And some use open reach others have there own, i know virgin fibers not on open reach for example.
  • WarrenBarton
    10986 posts Has That Special Something
    BT literally owns all the cables and pumps that internet directly into your home.

Other providers may have more speed but not necessarily better connectivity. But it def differs depending on area.

Why did you get rid of BT btw? Every year I tell them I’m going to leave but they keep making it cheaper to keep me, I’m down to like £23 a month now (including line rental) for their fastest package
  • Pb91
    I was on holiday when the contract ran out and my bird and her sister thought they would sort it, thought they was getting a better deal with sky but its been nothing but problems. Ive had engineers out and the last one told me most of his call outs are people not being able to play fifa without lag. I think it maybe the stability if i run test through my ps4 it can differ in download speed by upto 15mbs from where its meant to be. Im jealous mate i miss playing smooth fifa. Cod plays fine though thats what confusses me most.
  • WarrenBarton
    10986 posts Has That Special Something
    Pb91 wrote: »
    I was on holiday when the contract ran out and my bird and her sister thought they would sort it, thought they was getting a better deal with sky but its been nothing but problems. Ive had engineers out and the last one told me most of his call outs are people not being able to play fifa without lag. I think it maybe the stability if i run test through my ps4 it can differ in download speed by upto 15mbs from where its meant to be. Im jealous mate i miss playing smooth fifa. Cod plays fine though thats what confusses me most.

Yeah it’s a ping issue by the sounds of it, cod’s matchmaking clearly Isn’t skill based so you’re likely to get a p2p host nearby and have good connectivity.

Fifa on the other hand has an elo system on WL it’s not p2p and you may connect to a server better suited to your opponent.

This also lowers the amount of opponents you could face and therefore up’s the chance of a bad connection. The worse your ping the higher the chance you suffer.

Mind I’m not an expert on this ❤️❤️❤️❤️ lol
  • atheistsw
    512 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I have Virgin Fibre 100Mb (wired) and FIFA still plays like **** online, until EA spend some of their vast profits on a UK-based server we're always going to get shafted!
  • NornIron
    15505 posts World Class
    edited December 2019
    BT but I rarely play online anymore as 99% of the matches have delay unresponsive gameplay, also tried sky and plusnet they're all the same as said above BT/openreach own the line. You have to play wired if your getting actual start stop lag. If its delay there's no fixing it.
  • Pb91
    So basically theres no escape from this laggy delayed gameplay? Going to go back to bt anyway seemed better for me, cheers for the knowledge guys!
  • sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    Virgin are the only ones who own a full fibre network. The rest are fibre to the cabinet and then copper to your house and are owned by open reach
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3647 posts National Call-Up
    Pb91 wrote: »

Yeah it’s a ping issue by the sounds of it, cod’s matchmaking clearly Isn’t skill based so you’re likely to get a p2p host nearby and have good connectivity.

Fifa on the other hand has an elo system on WL it’s not p2p and you may connect to a server better suited to your opponent.

This also lowers the amount of opponents you could face and therefore up’s the chance of a bad connection. The worse your ping the higher the chance you suffer.

Mind I’m not an expert on this **** lol

COD matchmaking is definitely skill based.

I'm signed up to Hyperoptic and they're great. Never had an issue and they installed it a day after ordering.

You should check if they're available in your area
  • deejay85
    183 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I had the exact same problem. When I rang sky about it saying I should be getting the best internet the uk has as said in the terms they just said it meant upto a certain level and if neighbours have sky too which they do then it would effect our internet. Going to change back to virgin as it was so much better.