We are aware of an issue with FUT Crashing for Virgin media users & we are working on this. Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing. We have a thread discussing it here.

Rags to Royalty: King Kenny RTG (Bronze to Gold)

FreddieKane
702 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited December 2019
The Premise:

Inconsistent game play and average promos have made my interest in this game dwindle, so in order to reinvigorate my desire to play, I've decided to do a proper Bronze to Gold RTG.

After doing something similar with Raul last year (around the same time too) I found it a great success that helped create a similar feeling to when I first started playing Ultimate Team. This year I'm going to one up that and use the man himself, Sir Kenny Dalglish.

To mimic his career I will first be using a Scottish Premiership team starting with Bronze Rares, moving up tier by tier (Bronze Rare -> Silver Non-Rares -> Silver Rares etc.) as I complete certain scoring/assisting milestones. After I reach a full Scottish Premiership Gold/Special team (or as close as I can get), I will then follow his move to Liverpool and switch to the Premier League and start again (but with Silvers if they're not crazy pricey).

In order to keep myself honest I'm going to document my journey here, so feel free to follow along, or perhaps start your own. Otherwise enjoy not paying attention as I self bump my way to glory! B)

The Rules:

- Must only use Scottish Premiership players until Premier League Stage

- All games must be played online and no friendlies.

- May only use substitutes if they have played in the team before.

- Can choose to upgrade a card to the next tier before full team has had a tier upgrade but cannot upgrade a player twice in a row until they have played a minimum of 5 games. So I can't just accumulate 2 upgrade points and then skip a tier with a player.

That's it, for now.

The Upgrades:

Bronze Rare -> Silver Non-Rare: 1 upgrade every 5 goals/assists

Silver Non-Rare -> Silver Rare: 1 upgrade every 5 goals/assists

Silver Non-Rare -> Gold Non-Rare: 1 upgrade every 5 goals/assists

Gold Non-Rare -> Gold Rare: 1 upgrade every 10 goals/assists

Milestones:

25/50/100/150 etc. goals/assists: May upgrade one player to a special card of that tier (if available).

Hat tricks (goals or assists but not both in one game): 1 upgrade - This will last only until team has reached Gold tier.

The Starting Team

DBt3rxD.jpg

CcrkY90.jpg

POmLlXG.png

Using Anfield as there's no Celtic Park in game..

Time to get started :)
Post edited by FreddieKane on

Comments

• Dodds
    8562 posts League Winner
    Good luck, be interesting to see where this ends up.

What coins you starting on, you doing SBCs, packs etc or?
  • GeTRiGhT
    9900 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2019
    Looks cool

Good luck!
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2019
    Dodds wrote: »
    Good luck, be interesting to see where this ends up.

What coins you starting on, you doing SBCs, packs etc or?

Thanks! I spent most of my free capital on Mid Dalglish so I have about 70k + maybe 100k on the tradepile + my Serie A team to manage fitness.

Will be playing the game as normal besides that, will do SBCs if they're relevant to the RTG (but will still have to follow upgrade rules for the team) and open packs (free or SBC) as they come along.
  • Dodds
    8562 posts League Winner
    Should definitely get involved with some NIF trading with the lads on here, build up some coins along the way!

Would be unreal to see a full icon team by the end!
  • FreddieKane
    Should definitely get involved with some NIF trading with the lads on here, build up some coins along the way!

Would be unreal to see a full icon team by the end!

I was doing a bit of the UCL card trading which is how I managed to afford Dalglish in the first place haha but yeah been a bit slack lately so will definitely need to look back into it! It'd be fun to get Ian Rush alongside him eventually :)
  • Dodds
    8562 posts League Winner
    Ah good, yeah get back on it. It’ll be great to see the journey of it!
  • Diggy
    14095 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2019
    Good luck with this I have the 90 he’s class

Oh yeah buy the prem silvers before the premier league SBC arrives
  • FreddieKane
    Diggy wrote: »

What chem style do you use with him? I'm just rolling with Hunter atm but think in the long run it won't be his best.

And yeah that's a good call re: silvers.
  • Diggy
    edited December 2019

What chem style do you use with him? I'm just rolling with Hunter atm but think in the long run it won't be his best.

And yeah that's a good call re: silvers.

He came with Hunter so that’s what I use
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2019
    I think I'll post updates every 5-10 games, and full team updates every 5 or so upgrades.

Finished the first session: Rivals Div 4 ~1300 SR (fluctuated as you'd expect).

5 games: W: 1 D : 1 L: 3

Game 1: 3-3 (Goals: Dalglish x2, Robinson) (Assists: Middleton, Spittal, Robinson)

Game 2: 1-3 (Goals: O'Hara) (Assists: Dalglish)

Game 3: 2-5 (Goals: Dalglish x2) (Assists: Robinson)

Game 4: 0-2

Game 5: 3-1! (Goals Dalglish x3*) (Assists: Robinson x2, O'Hara)

So after 5 games, Dalglish has 7 goals and 1 assist including 1 hat trick. This allows me 2 upgrades (which will finally give me some substitutes!)

I forgot how hard it can be to play with Bronze cards haha but slowly learned to just do as little with them as possible - i.e. just pass and move, no tricky stuff. Standout players so far have been Bartley (the RCM), he has 81 PHY and it shows. Also shout out to the LM Middleton for just being fast, it helps a lot.

I have made one rule amendment where hat trick upgrades will not persist once the team has reached gold tier as I imagine they will become more common the better my team gets. Also considering upping the Silver Rare -> Gold Non-Rare upgrade requirements from 5 goals/assists to 10 but will see how we go.
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2019
    LOMIre9.png

First two new recruits will give me some much needed subs on the bench, Daryl Horgan has 4/4 which is a welcome addition!
  • Cadey 5
    11104 posts Has That Special Something
    Did you do Morales? Be a good partner was suppose to do him but forgot :'(
  • FreddieKane
    Cadey 5 wrote: »
    Did you do Morales? Be a good partner was suppose to do him but forgot :'(

I did! Will be nice to get some legitimate use out of him when I get there :)
  • jpsblue
    4537 posts National Call-Up
    how are you gonna upgrade defenders/goalkeepers with the goals/assist criteria? unless i read your OP wrong
  • FreddieKane
    jpsblue wrote: »
    how are you gonna upgrade defenders/goalkeepers with the goals/assist criteria? unless i read your OP wrong

Whoops, I guess I should clarify all the scoring stuff relates to Dalglish - so if he scores 5 goals then I get to pick a player to upgrade from Bronze Rare to Silver Non-Rare. I plan on making these scoring/assisting milestones more difficult each tier, just testing the waters at the early stage.
  • FreddieKane
    They made the Old FIrm SBC non-repeatable so now I have to decided who's the best bet.. Any opinions?
  • Diggy
    Go for the 84 at least if neither get upgraded you’ve got the better card
  • FreddieKane
    Go for the 84 at least if neither get upgraded you’ve got the better card

Hmm fair point, though looking at stats Kent actually doesn't look much worse if at all with the 5*WF. I'm thinking that as the SPFL has so few good cards it'd be good to have a playable RM in Forrest + a good LM instead of a good RM and no LM.. But I'd say Celtic are more likely to go through.

Man this is tough, good SBC but wish it was repeatable!
  • Dodds
    8562 posts League Winner
    All over that Forrest!
  • FreddieKane
    All over that Forrest!

Two votes Jimmy Forrest.. :# Got the Player Pick ready, still haven't pulled the trigger haha. These special cards are so valuable in this league.
  • Idek
    12229 posts Has That Special Something
    Kent looks slightly better, you might have moved onto the prem team by the time either card even has the chance to be upgraded as well
  • FreddieKane
    1i4FoAA.png

Agreed, it'll be March when they get upgraded so think it'll be more beneficial to work towards having a good LM and solid RM in NIF Forrest while I'm in the SPFL. Exciting times, just gotta grind out some goals to unlock them :#
  • FreddieKane
    Games 6 through 15 have been rough! Managed just 1 draw in 10 games, playing in delay is hard but playing in delay with bronze and silver players is nigh impossible :*

Game 6: 6-8 (Goals: Dalglish 3*, Brophy 2, Middleton) (Assists: O'Hara 2, Dalglish, Brophy, Horgan)

Game 7: 2-8 (Goals: Dalglish, Brophy) (Assists: Dalglish, Brophy)

Game 8: 0-3

Game 9: 1-5 (Goals: Dalglish) (Assists: Brophy)

Game 10: 1-1 (Goals: Dalglish) (Assists: Horgan)

Game 11: 0-7

Game 12: 0-5

Game 13: 1-5 (Goals: Dalglish)

Game 14: 1-4 (Goals: Dalglish)

Game 15: 3-5 (Goals: Dalglish, Kent, Horgan) (Assists: Dalglish, Kent, Brophy)

So not the most successful 10 game run but bringing in Kent (his Silver card) in the last match gave me some positive impact, I'm getting torn apart in defense but I think it's part gameplay and part me not realising that I can't defend so aggressively with Bronze and Silver cards..

Just gotta persevere, the team will get better and the wins will come! :)
  • FreddieKane
    zt0JFJq.jpg

So after 15 games, this is how the team looks. Most recent additions are Lazio hero, Olivier Ntcham at RCM, Nikola Katić at CB, and Ryan Kent at LM..

Dalglish sits at 16 goals, 4 assists. Really need to start stringing some upgrades together and kick on from there. Next up will be an upgrade to either CB, RB/LB, or LCM, considering jumping Katić straight up to a Silver Rare CB..
  • FreddieKane
    Will streamline the format a little bit, just showing W/D/L and game scores with a tally of Goals and Assists for the section at the end. Will make it easier for me to see progress at a glance.

Games 16 through 24: Won 3 - Drew 2 - Lost 4

16: 1-2
    17: 0-2
    18: 3-3
    19: 3-5
    20: 3-3
    21: 4-0!
    22: 1-3
    23: 3-1!
    24: 5-3!

Goals: Dalglish (15)**,Brophy (4), Kent (2), Horgan, Bauer
    Assists: Brophy (9), Dalglish (4), Kent (4), O'Hara (2), Horgan (2), Kamara

* = Hat trick

Man of the Section (Besides Kenny): Ryan Kent for reinvigorating the team after a slippery run of form.

I think that makes my first consecutive wins of this series, it only took dropping down to the bottom of Div 5 for it to happen! :#

Have had numerous upgrades since the last post - we're now at a full Silver Non-Rare side and the worst part is over. The side still struggles massively in defense, the lack of pace and high positioning/awareness is leading to a lot of quick counter attack goals if the opponent is competent, the issue is there's actually not much room to upgrade defenders in the SPFL..

Pending 2 Silver Rare upgrades after Dalglish hit the 30 goal mark with a hat trick, and then some.

Dalglish Total Tally:

24 games
    Goals: 31
    Assists: 8
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2019
    I9Vg4E8.png

Newest additions are:

- Big Edouard up top - the man is an animal, outscoring Dalglish in the past 5 games.
    - Halkett at LCB and Goldson at RCB in a desperate attempt to shore up the defense.
    - Kamara at RCM moves Ntcham to LCM (my more attacking one) - I'm cautious to even upgrade him as he's the best Silver CM in the Scottish Prem.. Unsure what to do there.
    - Finally both fullbacks, a lacking area in the league makes them a bit punchy.

Post edited by FreddieKane on
  • Dodds
    8562 posts League Winner
    Edouard was absolutely unreal last year, not surprised he’s banging them in!
  • FreddieKane
    He's just so big in game haha, he bodies Gold CBs like it's nothing!
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2019
    Games 25 through 43: Won 6 - Drew 3 - Lost 10 :(

25: 2-3
    26: 2-2
    27: 1-2
    28: 1-6
    29: 3-0
    30: 3-3
    31: 1-2
    32: 4-1
    33: 3-3
    34: 2-4
    35: 3-1
    36: 2-3
    37: 3-7
    38: 3-4
    39: 3-5
    40: 2-0
    41: 1-3
    42: 3-0
    43: 2-0

Goals: Dalglish (23)**, Big Ed (12), Kent (3), Ntcham, Halkett, Arfield

Assists: Big Ed (14), Dalglish (10), Kent (5), Ntcham (3), Arfield, Sinclair

* = Hat trick

Man of the Section: Gotta be BIG Ed Edouard. The man has his limits, his dribbling is bad, passing mediocre, movement poor.. but the guy just gets things done! Really helped bear some of the scoring and mostly the assisting burden with Kenny, he'll be moving to the subs soon enough but what an impact the guy has had on the team. I'm a big fan of Big Ed!

The team has changed considerably again since the last update, most of the resources going into pimping out the defense (or as much as you can in the Scottish Prem). Now have a new LCB and two shiny new fullbacks - Boli Bolingoli at LB is actually the first position to be "maxed out" in this league, there's literally no further upgrade available. Also Scott Arfield made his way into midfield and helped bring some control to a very turbulent area of the team.

Quickly approaching the "good part" of the league, I have two "special upgrades" available so looking forward to getting some gold into the mix so I can take the new Kent and Morelos cards out for a spin.

Dalglish Total Tally:

43 games
    Goals: 54
    Assists: 17
  • FreddieKane
    koxTkaw.png

The first Gold player has arrived! Welcome McGregor!

On a side note, the previous GK - Bain, good lord he might be the worst GK on the game.. 5'11" and had a fetish for parrying the ball directly to the striker..