The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Begrudgingly forced to drop back

Renamed123456
6198 posts Big Money Move

I've always played or favoured higher lines, (4 was lowest i went last year) playing on 6 depth Pressure in Heavy Touch the whole of '20.

But the past 2 weeks the game has forced my hand to switch it to drop back and some low depths.

Reason 1:
Even on reasonable depths, my defenders and midfielders literally stopped coming back from midfield
- they would try playing offside on the player with the ball
- they would refuse to get goal-side of a player running towards my goal, visibly halting their run*
- players would just stay high and was impossible to drag 4 defends back at once

*i believe this due to buggy intelligence between the depth setting and a defender's priority and responsibility.

Reason 2:
85%+ games my players are always slower than my opponents, even in situations they should be unquestionably faster. Which makes having to run backwards unsuitable.

Since i first got the game i had reaaally enjoyed playing a high line with faster CBs, and using intelligent prediction, tracking, of players runs and passes. I was able to prevent a lot of counters and sweaty play down to skill, usually only messing up if i switched wrong or late.

I've always hated drop-back/crowd the box type of playstyles and as such never used it myself.
But whatever change has occurred in the game has stopped allowing anything else to be effective for me, even drop back has its flaws but it's all i can do to get some chance out of defending.

So until further notice it's Jose Mourallardyce at the back, Pep up the top. 💔

What defense works best for you?

Comments

• WarrenBarton
    9877 posts League Winner
    edited December 2019
    4 depth, 4 width balanced defence 41212-2 with Kante on drop between defenders and the full backs on stay back.
    Balanced defence cm’s with cover wing.

Normally change to drop back in the 80th if holding a tight lead
  • jonkero
    5877 posts Big Money Move
    Currently playing 433-4 with 4 depth. 1 cms drop between and 1 on stay back. Wing backs stay back as well. Pressure on heavy touch and play fast build up with a lot of wingplay. Love it atm.

Douglas Costa futmas on 14 assists in 6 matches, he's killing it for me on the wing.
  • Renamed123456
    jonkero wrote: »
    Currently playing 433-4 with 4 depth. 1 cms drop between and 1 on stay back. Wing backs stay back as well. Pressure on heavy touch and play fast build up with a lot of wingplay. Love it atm.

Douglas Costa futmas on 14 assists in 6 matches, he's killing it for me on the wing.

Bwen tempted to switch to that but unsure.

Was playing 4231 so was tempted to go either 433 4 or 4411.

Instead I've gone 4141. For now. Not perfect but when i switched to it won 4 in a row with great possession gameplay.
  • Empyrium7
    3375 posts National Call-Up
    4-4-2
    6 depth
    5 width
    pressure on heavy touch
    2 CMs on balanced
    2 FBs on balanced
  • jonkero
    5877 posts Big Money Move

Instead I've gone 4141. For now. Not perfect but when i switched to it won 4 in a row with great possession gameplay.

Nice. I usually lose to the true drop backers though. But I don't really mind anymore after playing fut since the start 😉
  • sturges12345
    3521 posts National Call-Up
    Been playing balanced 5 depth 5 width with 442. I just get wrecked on counter attacks in div 3. So easy for the sweaty players to drop back hit 1 through ball down the wings whilst there ai pulls of block after block
  • greif44
    3218 posts National Call-Up
    352/442 on balanced 4/4 is doing the job for me
    Sometimes I switch to 352 with 4/4 drop back
  • roc2606
    161 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Played in Rivals last night (Div 3) against somebody that used a very high line, and used it well, Wow what a monster, my respects really, I had a lot of trouble holding the ball and would lose it easily, even when I'm usually decent in possession.
    He had the offside trap on point, synchronized and strategic pressure as well, and plus having Kante doesn't hurt the man is a living vacuum lol
  • Renamed123456

Nice. I usually lose to the true drop backers though. But I don't really mind anymore after playing fut since the start 😉

I'm in that dilemma od having two attacking CMs or just one.

Been tempted to buy Reus, either replace Firmino or use him alongside firmino as attackinf midfield. If i get rid of firmino i can get if wijnaldum.

Thing about 4141 when i started using it my wingers cut inside better. Now they've stopped a bit. Sometimes they cut farrr inside past the striker.
    The other awkward thing is becahse they are a L"M", sometimes they cut in behind the CM and the CM pushes up towards the wing, like the CAMs in 451.