Arsenal - Arteta at the Helm

Ashy
11236 posts Has That Special Something
edited December 2019
BnPZ0qs.png

Welcome to my Arsenal story that will take place at the start of January 2020 after a poor run of results saw Unai Emery sacked a month earlier, interim head coach Ljungberg took the squad for the busy winter period until Mikel Arteta was finally appointed head coach. Can the former captain turn the club around and get them where they belong?
Post edited by Ashy on

Comments

• Ashy
    edited December 2019
    Intro Video
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    The current table and a timeline of the past month as things transpired

69eoQVm.png
    Sorry this image is coming out smaller than it should, open it in another tab if it is hard to read
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    V7XWZDs.png

Mikel Arteta has been appointing head coach of Arsenal football club and his first game will be on new years day against Manchester United at Emirates Stadium. Arteta signed a 3 year contract with the club and will get to meet the players for his first training session today. He commented on what his plan with the team is especially defence and the rumours on player exits.

"I have an idea of what I want to do with the team immediately and I also have an idea of what I want to do with the team long term. Right now it's about getting the basics right and structuring the team well and playing with an identity but it will take time. As for player exits I don't want to speak too much about it but yes as per rumours I can confirm two players are exiting the club in the next 2 days when the window opens, I gave my approval of this. Xhaka will be going to Inter Milan and Lacazette will be leaving for Manchester United, he refused to sign a new contract and we have to think of the club first, we get a good chunk of money and we will improve the team, it's going to be a busy January, watch this space."

Arsenal head of football Raul Sanllehi and technical director Edu comment on the appointment saying they want to set an identity push forward into a strong future for the club, they believe Mikel Arteta who is adored by who many regard as the best manager in world football right now Pep Guardiola is the next big thing. They believe he can not only rescue their season and finish in the top 6 but he can also set Arsenal up to compete with the best within 5 years.

We can reveal the managers that were on the shortlist other than Mikel Arteta were, out of work Massimiliano Allegri was one but he was not interested in returning to work until the summer. Mauricio Pochettino was another candidate however he was rumoured to reject the offer as he looks to return to Spain or PSG in the future. Nuno Espírito Santo who has been doing a fantastic job at Wolves the past few seasons as they sit 5th place this season signed an new contract killing all rumours of him possibly coming. The other two close contenders were Patrick Vieira although the club wasn't keen on his managerial ability as of right now and Rafa Benitez. He ran Arteta close and the club chose to go with a more risky approach of appointing a young forward thinking manager.
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    As you mentioned, a risky move to go for Arteta but if he gets the time to implement an identity I think he is te right choice. Another risky move is the transfer of Lacazette to Manchester United, I'm not sure if I would let him go to a rival. Xhaka will not be missed, mediocre player and better options will be available.
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nice choice of career look forward to seeing how Arteta does for Arsenal. I feel they may try and appoint him in real life
  • Virtual_K
    1906 posts Play-Off Hero
    I've never been sold on Patrick Vieira myself, some of his bizarre tactical moves cost NYCFC in the playoffs during his time, but I suppose I should be thankful avoiding having to watch an MLS final in the outfield of Yankee Stadium. :p In the few matches I've watched, Lacazette never seemed to fit quite right, although I admit a small sample size. A little bit of work to be done to make Champions League.
  • WestardLord
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero
    Really looking forward to this. It'll be quite a project for Arteta, but the team definitely needs to develop a real identity and I think he has the experience under Pep to do so.
  • Stlducks
    2273 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think Arteta is the best man for the job. Give him time to bring in his players while also developing Arsenal's talented youth and he will turn the club around.
  • Ashy
    DB1512 wrote: »
    As you mentioned, a risky move to go for Arteta but if he gets the time to implement an identity I think he is te right choice. Another risky move is the transfer of Lacazette to Manchester United, I'm not sure if I would let him go to a rival. Xhaka will not be missed, mediocre player and better options will be available.
    I can see him becoming a good manager in the future, similar to Simeone's level but more attractive football. I see what you are saying about Lacazette but it was the case of no European club coming in with a respectable price, things got a bit sour with him and the club so we needed to cash in. Xhaka gone is great and to a realistic club :)
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Nice choice of career look forward to seeing how Arteta does for Arsenal. I feel they may try and appoint him in real life
    Yeah he's one of the favourites and he was before we got Emery, want to go with a realistic route
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I've never been sold on Patrick Vieira myself, some of his bizarre tactical moves cost NYCFC in the playoffs during his time, but I suppose I should be thankful avoiding having to watch an MLS final in the outfield of Yankee Stadium. :p In the few matches I've watched, Lacazette never seemed to fit quite right, although I admit a small sample size. A little bit of work to be done to make Champions League.
    Not familiar with his managerial career but I know Nice have not been good at all this season, Lacazette is poor away from home and his scoring record for a lone striker is not good really but he does more than score, holding up the ball and so on. His contact is up in 18 months so we needed to sort the situation out.
    Really looking forward to this. It'll be quite a project for Arteta, but the team definitely needs to develop a real identity and I think he has the experience under Pep to do so.
    Thanks, it's just trying to find the Arteta identity, I'm thinking similar to Guardiola with his own twist, a hard working, pressing off the ball, tika taka on the ball.
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I think Arteta is the best man for the job. Give him time to bring in his players while also developing Arsenal's talented youth and he will turn the club around.
    Yeah he signed a 3 year deal so the club have faith in him and will give him time. If we fail to get in the Europa League it won't be a problem as they look to bounce back the next season
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    uxKf9Fb.png
    Oew8XHZ.png
    qDKbZNf.png

Arteta's first signing may have been Finnbogason but his marquee signing may be Leeds United defensive midfielder Kalvin Phillips, one thing Arteta wanted to do was get the balance in midfield right and for that he needed a player that will sit back, intercept and stop attacks, Phillips is the man to do exactly that, it's yet to see if he can do it on a Premier League level but the club have faith in him to do so with £25m spent on the English 24 year old.

Lacazette makes his switch from London to Manchester as things got very sour behind the season with reports he was not happy with the teams performances in the past 2 season and wasn't prepared to stay at the club any longer, he fell out with former manager Unai Emery and interim coach Ljungberg wasn't happy with his attitude. Sources close to the club mention a couple of European clubs were looking at him, one being Atletico Madrid and the other Napoli. Only one came in with a formal offer but it was Man Utd that blew them out of the water with over £60m on the table.

Along with the Lacazette exit we knew early on about the departure of former captain Granit Xhaka, a player they bought for £35m they sell a few years later to Inter Milan for half the price. Things got toxic between him and the fans and reach boiling point when he stormed off the field throwing the armband down, swearing at the fans and left the stadium instantly. Ljungberg slowly brought him back into the setup after he was stripped of his captaincy but performances still lacked and it was evident his exit was near. Mustafi is one of those players that Arsenal have struggled to sell in recent windows, but they get lucky as he finds a way back to Germany with Dortmund offering him a lifeline, a 6 month loan deal and an option to buy for £10m. Another big loss for Arsenal as far as money spent and recovered.
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    soGx3nM.png

Arteta's first game in charge saw them host Manchester United at the Emirates stadium a tough game and a hard fought game. Lacazette came off the bench for the red devils but couldn't impact the game. It seemed Arteta worked hard on the defence in his few days he's been at the club and looked to build from a strong defensive performance but the attacking intent wasn't quite there. A decent first result the players and manager can build from.

FA Cup action was next and Arsenal travelled to League 1 side Gillingham, new signing Finnbogason made his debut starting as Arteta played a mixture of experience back up players and youth and it worked wonders, the ice cold Iceland forward scored 12 minutes into his debut and finished on a brace and the young impressive midfielder Olayinka secured the game in the 70th. Arsenal will face Burnley next at the end of the month in the next round.

Back to Premier League football and Arsenal faced a tough test away to Crystal Palace, a place they struggle to get a result in recent years, former Leeds United central defensive midfielder Kalvin Phillips made his debut with Torreira out injured still and the side looked much more balanced in midfield, Aubameyang made the difference with a goal right before and right after half time to secure the win as Arteta keeps the unbeaten run going and begins to climb up the table.
  • ElMarcos
    322 posts Sunday League Hero
    A decent start for Arteta.
  • DB1512
    I like the signings Arteta made and the transfers out are very logicical in my eyes, despite maybe Lacazette. I know Finnbogason from his Heerenveen time, never forget his brace during his homedebut against Ajax. As you mentioned, an ice cold striker and a great goalscorer but he is at his best if he doesn't have to take part of the possesion play.
    Great results with three clean sheets, solid base for the rest of the season.
  • Ashy
    ElMarcos wrote: »
    A decent start for Arteta.
    Yep, new manager bounce seems to be kicking in right now, fans are starting to see a difference on the pitch for sure.
    I like the signings Arteta made and the transfers out are very logicical in my eyes, despite maybe Lacazette. I know Finnbogason from his Heerenveen time, never forget his brace during his homedebut against Ajax. As you mentioned, an ice cold striker and a great goalscorer but he is at his best if he doesn't have to take part of the possesion play.
    Great results with three clean sheets, solid base for the rest of the season.
    Thanks, still half the window left so more movement could happen but things are progressing fast. Lacazette was someone that had to go I'm afraid, we had to recoup some money from a big sale and he was that guy we had him and Aubameyang so we could afford to lose one and it's the one with less goal contributions.
  • Ashy
    oMNno3W.png

The big news coming out today is former Real Madrid and Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso exits Real Sociedad B team head coach to join with Mikel Arteta becoming his assistant 2 weeks after Arteta returned to the club. One of the big reasons why Arteta didn't get the job 2 years ago was due to his lack of potential back room staff and his inexperience well it seems a plan has been put in place and it's all coming together now. They have added 8 coaches to the club whom are close connections with Arteta and Alonso.

Ljungberg will remain amongst the coach staff and is said to be 3rd in command and will work closely with the younger players involved with the senior squad. In other news Unai Emery returns to management as he takes over his former club Sevilla a team Arsenal will play in February in the Europa League, and this could prove to be an interesting encounter in a months time.
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    A8PG12P.png
    0A5s4xj.png
    68iH6sY.png

The centre-back issue has plagued Arsenal for years, ever since Mertesacker and Koscielny and before that the solid partnership of Campbell and Toure. Arsenal look to recreate a new partnership and they look for someone to compliment Saliba next season as he is current on loan at St Etienne. It appears they have found that man in Nico Elvedi. The Swiss will add steel to the Arsenal defence and is still quite young at 23 years of age. He's been playing some of his best football at Bundesliga side M'gladbach for the past two years and Arteta believes he can add stability in the defence for the 2nd half of the season. The fee is reported to be close to £30m with £4m in add ons which are easily achieved.

Lucas Torreira was one of the big stories of the January transfer window, we knew Milan have been admirers for a while but it was Napoli that were aggressive with their approach with a £39m bid submitted. Sources close to Arsenal suggest they were happy to cash in on him but they wanted a figure closer to the £45m. The problem would be the options in midfield would be limited if no replacement was identified immediately with Phillips, Guendouzi and Ceballos the main three and Torreira, Willock and Ozil the other options. It's expected Arsenal will resolve this matter in the summer window.

Mavropanos heads to Getafe on a year long loan, young promising striker Balogun goes to Sturm Graz on a year loan and another two from earlier in the window saw Burton head to Den Haag on loan and John-Jules to Djurgardens IF on loan.
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    dXPTSx7.png

Xabi Alonso accompanied Mikel Arteta on the touchline for the first time in their home game against Sheffield United as Arsenal completely dominated for 90 minutes, they did not allow Sheffield to do a thing whole game it was a football masterclass from the North London side. Sheffield did well to keep the score down and played well as they fight for survival. Elvedi started the game as he gets a clean sheet on his debut for the club and Arsenal focus on the big Chelsea game next.

Incredible scenes at Stamford Bridge as once again Arsenal put on a performance that it is shocking the world, it's an incredible transformation from 6 weeks ago to this point. Chelsea played well and threatened at times but this Arsenal team looked far superior with the right balance and improvements. Phillips bossed the midfield but it was Ceballos that ran the show today in the 3-0 away win.

We then returned to FA Cup action and Arteta put out a weakened side involving a selection of youngsters and Burnley came to the Emirates with a statement after going 2-0 up within 30 minutes, Arteta changed a few things at half time bringing Aubameyang on and the come back was on after the hour mark with Saka and Aubameyang combining to bring Arsenal back into the game, Burnley put themselves ahead to go 4-2 up but the Gunners kept fighting back to finish the game 4-4 and a replay will be played next month.
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    dLU57m1.png
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    X2gbB6K.png
    1OGdwOW.png
  • DB1512
    Elvedi is another great signing, also good to keep Torreira and Aubameyang for the team. Arteta's first results are promising, in the league 10 points out of 4 games, with Chelsea and Manchester United as really tough opponents is very good. Maybe it is wise to focus a bit more on the FA Cup because it might be the best shot to earn a trophy.
  • Stlducks
    The new manager boost is working for Arsenal. The clash with Emery will be exciting and I expect Arsenal will win it.

Any replacements planned if Torriera does leave?
  • WestardLord
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero
    Positive and promising results to start for Arteta. Hoping to see Ozil will be inspired to play football again under him. Tapping into the Bundesliga for Arsenal's future sounds successful to me, so hopefully Elvedi can continue to contribute.
  • JoshDFC
    A positive start for Arteta like the appointment of Xabi Alonso as I was wondering today who he could have in his back room staff as he has never had a managers job before and they tend to stick with their management team.
  • Ashy
    Elvedi is another great signing, also good to keep Torreira and Aubameyang for the team. Arteta's first results are promising, in the league 10 points out of 4 games, with Chelsea and Manchester United as really tough opponents is very good. Maybe it is wise to focus a bit more on the FA Cup because it might be the best shot to earn a trophy.
    Thanks, and yes it's important to hold onto these players especially to get us through this season, I agree Arteta see's the FA Cup as a fantastic competition to focus on and win especially since he was part of that team that won it a good few years ago that broke the 9 year trophy-less run.
    Stlducks wrote: »
    The new manager boost is working for Arsenal. The clash with Emery will be exciting and I expect Arsenal will win it.
    Any replacements planned if Torriera does leave?
    We do have a better team than Sevilla for sure but they are a big threat and it would be good to get rid of one of the bigger threats of the competition. Torreira's replacement is already in really it's Kalvin Phillips. He is more of a CDM than Torreira can be and is suited more to the Premier League, I will look to get a player in midfield though but a more attacking minded one.
    Positive and promising results to start for Arteta. Hoping to see Ozil will be inspired to play football again under him. Tapping into the Bundesliga for Arsenal's future sounds successful to me, so hopefully Elvedi can continue to contribute.
    Yeah the manager bounce has kicked in that's for sure and the team is playing much more efficient attractive football, he has hit the ground running! The big aim was to find that centre-back that would be a realistic target for Arsenal, someone that Saliba or Holding can partner with for the long term, hopefully it works out.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    A positive start for Arteta like the appointment of Xabi Alonso as I was wondering today who he could have in his back room staff as he has never had a managers job before and they tend to stick with their management team.
    Yeah it was sometime I saw mentioned before somewhere and I looked into it a bit more and it makes sense, not sure if it will happen in real life though
  • Ashy
    bYk7tv0.png

Arsenal begin February with an away win over Burnley, Aubameyang scored once again as he continues his streak of Premier League goals and it was a dramatic end with Torreira coming off the bench to score and Lennon getting a very late goal to keep things on edge.

For the third time in a row Arsenal play Burnley once again this time in the FA Cup replay match thanks to the entertaining 4-4 draw at the Emirates last month. Finnbogason was the man leading the line and was man of the match with a fantastic performance, Smith Rowe caused all sorts of problems and added to the score sheet late on, a fantastic day for the youngster. Arsenal will face Derby County at the Emirates next month in the FA Cup.

Arteta suffered his first defeat as Arsenal boss and it came at the Emirates against an unlikely team in Newcastle. Joelinton caused the Arsenal defence all sorts of problems scoring early on with Aubameyang making it level shortly after. The Arsenal captain gave his club the lead before halftime but it was the second half the collapse happened with Newcastle creating all sorts of havoc and they turn the game around to win 3-2. Arteta will be sure to find what went wrong and learn from it with Sevilla up next.
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    1IKWRVE.png

The Europa League approaches and it's almost time for Arteta and Emery to collide in a Round of 32 fixture. Sevilla appointed Emery at the end of December around the same time Arteta joined Arsenal so both managers have had the same amount of time to adjust to their new clubs. Emery's took Sevilla from 8th in the table to 5th and he looks much more comfortable at the Spanish club. Arteta has lost only 1 game in his first 9 and that one being the very last game, Sevilla will look to pounce on that and Emery will look to prove he has the ability to beat his old club.

Arteta commented on the loss to Newcastle last weekend, "It's tough to take but these things can happen and it comes as a shock since we have been playing so well. Joelinton was a handful and we expected that but sometimes when a player is playing at his very best it's hard to stop, we look to learn from it and show the fans we can bounce back instantly against Sevilla on Thursday".

With Napoli failing to get the Torreira deal over the line, the club explore the possibility of exchanging Fabian, a more creative midfielder with the Uruguayan, Arteta is said to be a big fan of the Spanish playmaker and there is a big possibility a deal can be struck in the summer.
  • DB1512
    Torreira is crucial for Arsenal I believe, Kanté like type that does a bunch of dirty work for the other midfield and forward players. Not sure if it's a good deal if you swap him for Fabian cause he's a very different type of player.
  • Stlducks
    Torreira is crucial for Arsenal I believe, Kanté like type that does a bunch of dirty work for the other midfield and forward players. Not sure if it's a good deal if you swap him for Fabian cause he's a very different type of player.

Torreira is one of those players where people either think he is crucial or they think he needs to go. He splits opinions for sure. I personally think he came to Arsenal too early and needs more time to improve at a smaller club.

Aubemeyang has been on fire. Much like real life, nearly all of the goals go through him it seems.
  • JoshDFC
    I used Fabian on the last Fifa and he was outstanding a player who will help improve the team but again I feel he is different to Torreira who is very defensive maybe I used Fabian wrong in the attacking centre midfield role but it worked :lol:
  • gury_gangsta
    26 posts Last Pick at the Park
    That's my team !!!!
    IDK about Coutinho..... but Willian would be ok.
    If Auba leaves we screw....

Wish they could have snap Havertz. Werner was so good...
    Guess Chelsea got the money....

I think this season gonna be harder. City and Liverpool gonna kill it. Chelsea got 2 good players, if theysnap Havertz thats it. United also gonna be better....Fernandes made an impact so far.

I see Arsenal fighting with spurs for 5th place...
    If they finish 4th that will be a miracle.

Waiting for career mode to play with Arsenal and buy Kluivert, Jota, Haaland :))), Umtiti, de Beek, Neres, Onana, etc :)))