What Did Van Basten Say?

Vanch
239 posts Sunday League Hero
Can't find any info about it online anywhere. Anybody know what went down?

Untitled.png

Comments

• Gnomenclature
    3956 posts National Call-Up
    Uh oh....
  • PaulDr
    218 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    This will be the **** salute
  • SuperJames9005
    1634 posts Play-Off Hero
    MVB extinct confirmed😂
  • Fab
    18300 posts World Class
    That's weird I googled Van Basten controversy and I found multiple links
  • Kartal_FC
    69 posts Park Captain
    So what happens to people who bought him?
  • Sodan70
    806 posts Semi-Pro
    Kartal_FC wrote: »
    So what happens to people who bought him?

They cash in.

His price just doubled on PS4 :D
  • Jdizzle
    453 posts Sunday League Hero
    Lol what? Bernardo silva extinct incoming.
  • Markman007
    2845 posts Fans' Favourite
    When I first quickly glanced at the message I thought I was getting a free van Basten icon 😆
  • KING_HENKE
    649 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Selling for near 900k about 10 minutes ago. EA will probably change the price range.
  • Aspral
    3523 posts National Call-Up
    Gonna have to remove a bunch of cards if they're doing this for a joke.

I actually believe this has made more people search for what he said than if they'd have done nothing
  • Drachenfells
    550 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Imagine if ea made this permanent and his price range dropped to Max 1000 as it has done for all other removed players ( there removal was tragic and not comparable to this). I would find it hilarious that you have paid 1 million for a worthless card.
  • Drachenfells
    550 posts An Exciting Prospect
    That is a good point, possibly removed from your club 500,000 coins added to your account?
  • KING_HENKE
    That is a good point, possibly removed from your club 500,000 coins added to your account?

I think EA are more likely to just reduce the price range to 100k or something.
  • ComptonLAX94
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    Surprised they didn't cap the price before the message.
  • Mmandras
    2435 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wtf does it mean to "suspend items". Like permanent ban or just temporary?
  • KING_HENKE
    Mmandras wrote: »

They’re hedging their bets, but no way is he getting back in now. Imagine the uproar? Not worth the drama to EA.
  • Ishibum
    12985 posts Has That Special Something
    Mmandras wrote: »

I presume until he comes out and says he was misquoted and simply trying to seek a hail for a taxi.

In seriousness, this is risky territory. The guy hasn't been arrested, tried, or convicted of anything (I'm sure our Dutch friends can tell us of they have laws banning hate speech and that), so I don't see much difference from a legal standpoint between this and Ronaldo's Las Vegas allegations. Ronaldo wasn't taken out the game (and no charges were eventually brought).

Maybe they're just taking a moral stand? That's up to them of course but again, we have precedent with Luis Suaraz (who was deemed by the FA to have made a racist comment) and his lack of removal for the game.

In short, while I'm not going to comment on the rights or wrongs of their decision (I'll leave that to others here), it's the lack of consistency I find a touch troubling.
  • jmaurizio
    441 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bit exaggerated
  • SuperSonicSean
    6073 posts Big Money Move
    His card is trash anyway. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to use him TBH.
  • Blanchflower1
    51 posts Park Captain
    This is ridiculous. EA is overreacting.
  • jmaurizio
    441 posts Sunday League Hero
    The irony in this, he used to play for ajax who are calling themselves jews..
  • Torminator
    1368 posts Professional
    Ea only temp exclude him because they are not serieus about it but just scared that if they do nothing somebody will twitter something and they loose rep. The mere fact they havent just removed him completely is because they expect to make money of his prime and moments card in the future. Thats disgusting.
  • TheMightyBee
    2278 posts Fans' Favourite
    There is a difference with making a joke around your mates compared to doing it in the work place. If I made dumb jokes at work I wouldn’t have a job.

EA have made this decision as they don’t want to offend a lot of their customer base, it’s a business decision like everything they do.
  • BiigDee
    4527 posts National Call-Up
    EA have opened a huge can of worms here, there’s many players in the game who could be removed for similar things and they also allow team names that are offensive. They have Pro players who have been caught using racist words live on stream. I find it laughable that they act like they have morals yet they would happily push a form of gambling onto young player. I would rather them aim some focus towards this game.
  • CaptainDan-
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited December 3
    To make that kind of joke says something about the person who said it. Disgusting from MVB.

I also find it depressing the amount of people on here defending him, obviously people do not understand the offence this comment undoubtedly caused to a lot of people.

His apology was also pathetic.
  • Futfanatic
    13910 posts Has That Special Something
    Hibee wrote: »
    I would hate for some to hear the kind of jokes me and my mates say.

On live television?
  • Knowlesdinho
    11416 posts Has That Special Something
    So @EA_Roger has as already been noted, many users of this game create racist team names, some of which are regurgitated on the Squad Battles mode... I suppose that you are finally going to take action on this matter too?
  • Hibee
    12244 posts Has That Special Something
    Futfanatic wrote: »

On live television?

It’s not like he said it on purpose on live tv. It was a joke! Incredible what people get offended at these days.
  • CaptainDan-
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero
    Futfanatic wrote: »

On live television?

It’s not like he said it on purpose on live tv. It was a joke! Incredible what people get offended at these days.

Incredible what people don't think of as offensive these days.
  • Lfc23
    1799 posts Play-Off Hero
    So what will happen to people who have his card in there team ?