Can't get the most of Paulinho

Roc_Xel
1625 posts Play-Off Hero
So I did his SBC quite quickly as I was sure I was just gonna love the guy.

Have a very brazilian team (Rttf Militao, Rttf Allan, Sandro or Telles, Neymar) so I knew I could play him with 10 chem. His stats are just crazy. He's like the 13 th player of the game with the highest total in game stats, this is ridiculous (that is of the currently available players, icons included). Plus HH as workrates, perfect for a CM.

Well I now played 20 games with him and he's absent. He leaves holes in my team and his shooting is terrible when he goes forward, no way on earth he's 85, Passing is inconsistent at best. He's strong and has long legs which is nice but I'm so so disappointed by the card. Quite clunky too although not awful. Does not feel at all like being HH either for me.

Regular Sissoko is better imo, same goes for Naingo. Although those two gold cards are really OP, Paulinho just had to be marginally better. For me he's not at all .

Anyone else disappointed in him or only happy people ? No need to comment if you did not get him..

Strongly considering replacing him by Naingo SIF or Scream Firmino, I'd assume both of them would be a substantial upgrade.

Comments

• Delboy13710
    10319 posts Has That Special Something
    What formation you use him in
  • rankon.
    2259 posts Fans' Favourite
    The base card can do pretty much the same things as this flashback version. In certain positions of the pitch I just don’t see value in boosted cards.

Unless you have tonnes of coins just stick to the gold cards, they’re so well rounded in the first place.
  • [Deleted User]
    0 posts National Call-Up
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Roc_Xel
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero
    I play him as a CM in a 41212-2, sorry should have mentioned it.
  • Delboy13710
    10319 posts Has That Special Something
    I find him great on basic . Just need to get used to the 3* weak foot really notice it in high pressure situations. Hes finesse shots seem broken to me seem to all fly in . I would stick with it play him with more attacking instructions
  • Toonleew
    3744 posts National Call-Up
    12 goals in 7 from CDM. He is unreal
  • Nodge86
    5676 posts Big Money Move
    I haven’t got to use him yet as he’s somewhere deep in my unassigned pile. But apparently he flies with engine.
  • Roc_Xel
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ok, so no one is really disappointed ^^

Got him with shadow, will try with engine to see.
  • Ben
    5496 posts Big Money Move
    He’s amazing...basic chem is best for cm.
  • Gogs
    815 posts Semi-Pro
    Put engine on him and play him in 2 cdms formation.
    He plays like an Icon for me.
    Have him with Allan in 4231 formation.
  • Crop_Dust3r
    512 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I play him at CM in a 442 with anchor Chem style. I think he's the best midfielder I've used all year.

Decent (though not the best) defensively, mad shot on goal and strong and tanky.

My only gripe is that he's a little clunky in the dribbling department.

Glad I did the SBC
  • AjaxLegends
    7670 posts League Winner
    I went from Scream Firmino to him and so far he is downgrade. Firmino had so many assists and goals for a CM in a 4411 where Paulinho doesn't even get in the box, even though he has that instruction. Good defensively and nice allround player but I think I need a bit more of an attacking CM next to Keane.
  • HullCity1904
    3021 posts National Call-Up
    I went from Scream Firmino to him and so far he is downgrade. Firmino had so many assists and goals for a CM in a 4411 where Paulinho doesn't even get in the box, even though he has that instruction. Good defensively and nice allround player but I think I need a bit more of an attacking CM next to Keane.

There's like 700k difference though...
  • DirtyHarryZak
    451 posts Sunday League Hero

And who drops Scream Bobby for Paulinho anyway?
  • AjaxLegends
    7670 posts League Winner

Yeah I know, just giving some perspective because some say Paulinho is the best non icon CM in the game etc. Had to sell Firmino, Neymar and Mbappe to buy 91 Ronaldinho.
  • Ballist1x
    3904 posts National Call-Up
    I am a bit underwhelmed with 88 Paulie tbh...

Pretty sure hes got like 1 assist and no goals in about 15 matches from rcm...
  • TheTataGuy
    3888 posts National Call-Up
    He's meh
  • iGainZ
    850 posts Semi-Pro
    Same boat here.. paid 30k plus Untradeable but I would have used them for Villa if I knew

I mean he’s not bad.. but he’s not so good.
    I played him only in WL (cdm in 4231 or cm in 41212, 8 chem with shadow) and that’s my impression, but tried 2 rivals a few mins ago and he feels much much better..
  • DirtyHarryZak
    451 posts Sunday League Hero
    8 matches 8 goals 7 assists and a butt load of important tackles and interceptions as cdm in a 352.

Id say he's doing well.
  • Natureboy44
    963 posts Professional
    He's no better than your meta 81 - 84 rated card in game, got his loan and discarded it after a few games as he was terrible for me.

EA like you to waste coins on these untradeables and most suckers never seem to learn.
  • Roc_Xel
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero

Yeah I know, just giving some perspective because some say Paulinho is the best non icon CM in the game etc. Had to sell Firmino, Neymar and Mbappe to buy 91 Ronaldinho.

And that's actually the perspective I needed. Thanks. I think I'll buy scream bobby soon. Also like my CM's to have strong offensive capacities. Paulinho does not, for me.
  • Roc_Xel
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero
    Honestly thanks to all for your imputs but those saying he scored 2 goals + assists a game as a CDM you just can't be taken seriously, hope you understand that.

So what, if he were a striker or a cam he would score and/or assist 5 times a game ?

Even if you were to put Gullit as a CDM (and not CM, that's key), he would not score and assist 2 a game.

Also, he's very, very far froom being Gullit ^^. Never ever seen in my life any CDM who scored or assisted 2 a game for more than... one game.
  • AjaxLegends
    7670 posts League Winner
    Roc_Xel wrote: »

And that's actually the perspective I needed. Thanks. I think I'll buy scream bobby soon. Also like my CM's to have strong offensive capacities. Paulinho does not, for me.

Firmino really surprised me. Read some mixed reviews on here. Had 88 Seedorf before him and Firmino was so much better getting forward. Seedorf is a bit like Paulinho. Good allrounder but doesn't really shine in an area.
  • Roc_Xel
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ha mate, I LOVED seedorf 88 last year though :smiley:

Can't wait to try Bobby. Currently invested in RTTF so 120k short of him but should have him by end of the week. I feel he wlil be perfect in my 41212-2 next to Allan Rttf and mid Petit. Btw, had Petit CDM and Allan CM but I just switched them, dont know if its better as I loved Petit long legs as CDM but it feels more normal to have Allan CDM with the MH and Petit CM with the HH. FIrmino will be perfect with them imo.
  • iGainZ
    850 posts Semi-Pro

Can't wait to try Bobby. Currently invested in RTTF so 120k short of him but should have him by end of the week. I feel he wlil be perfect in my 41212-2 next to Allan Rttf and mid Petit. Btw, had Petit CDM and Allan CM but I just switched them, dont know if its better as I loved Petit long legs as CDM but it feels more normal to have Allan CDM with the MH and Petit CM with the HH. FIrmino will be perfect with them imo.

May I ask how’s Allan?
    You tried both NIF and RTTF?
  • AjaxLegends
    7670 posts League Winner

I loved his 88 as well last year. Actually regretted selling him and doing his PIM. The 88 was the best version (plus the hair). Didn’t feel him this year, could be the system (4411) where he has less room to shine. But Bobby did with his great runs in the box. So dunno honestly.

Petit looks great too. Would probably use him at CDM but whatever works right :)
  • GTaylor
    1115 posts Professional
    Played just over 50 games with him now. Never tried the loan but opted to take the plunge straight away. Strong link to 86 Carlos and links with 90 Silva made sense to do him. Stats looked insane.

Play him CDM in a 4231 as others on here. Honestly for 20-25 games across WL and Rivals he was unnoticeable. Made a few decent interceptions, played a few nice passes, scored the odd goal or two but nothing major, I was pretty gutted about wasting the coins. In the following 25 games or so he has been immense. Breaks up play superbly, has incredible strength on the ball, drives forward with ease. Scoring goals arriving late in the box and is an all round bossman. Honestly I'm not sure what has made the change, maybe it just took me far too long to suss him out. Finally though after a half century of games, he plays like his stats suggest he should and I'm glad I did the sbc.
  • freakjas
    14731 posts Has That Special Something
    Hes brilliant for me.
    Cm in a 3412 on balanced and yeah he’s good, everywhere on the pitch.
    Him and scream sabitzer is such an amazing combo at cm.
  • I like him and had his nif before play 100 games for me, you can feel the improvement.

I think engine is defo the go to chem style for him
  • Crop_Dust3r
    512 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited November 2019
    He actually does have a good right foot. I've scored quite a few with him from outside or the edge of the box. People just don't expect me to shoot with him (probably cause I have Neymar and Mbape in the box) and it goes flying in.

I have him on balanced and I find he gets up and down the pitch really well.

I agree with what one person mentioned above, took a while for him to come alive but now that he has I can't see a viable replaced for him.

I am also one of the few that didn't find Scream Firminho all that good.