OT Working Away (delete if not allowed)

TimRUFC
3689 posts National Call-Up
Evening lads, my boss today has basically offered me a few months work on a 4 on 3 off basis 3 hours away from home. I've never worked away from home before and have a Mrs of 15 years and 3 sons 13, 11 and 10 who I've not been away from before. Think I'd be mad to pass up on it as obviously Christmas is coming up but just wondered if any of the older members of the group have any experience in working away who have kids and how they coped through it?? Thanks fellas

Comments

• YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner
    If your missus isn’t giving you grief about it go for it. Your kids are old enough to help out and, let’s face it, technology is there if anything is up. As long as the money is worth it ofc. You’ve got (another assumption) the weekend off as a family too
  • TimRUFC
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    If your missus isn’t giving you grief about it go for it. Your kids are old enough to help out and, let’s face it, technology is there if anything is up. As long as the money is worth it ofc. You’ve got (another assumption) the weekend off as a family too

Thanks mate that's what I was thinking tbh and no she's very understanding about it all and understands work is work just more me being a wimp about it tbh and nervous about been away from them all
  • TimRUFC
    Just get yourself tinder for when you're away man

Ffs trust u 🤣
    Thanks for the input 🤦‍♂️
  • DarthGrowler
    16190 posts World Class
    TimRUFC wrote: »

Ffs trust u 🤣

Sorry man, couldn't help myself. Haven't worked away since having a kid but before I spent like 5 months away from the missus and it wasn't easy. Can't imagine it being easy with littluns involved but if what you're doing will improve their lives you have to do it
  • nickmack
    521 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I worked in the States for six months, first three months before XMas, I didn't come home at all. Kids were 6 and 4 and don't really remember me being gone now.

I'm lucky, the Mrs. was good with it and I had expenses paid, and video called them most days
  • TimRUFC

Ffs trust u 🤣

Sorry man, couldn't help myself. Haven't worked away since having a kid but before I spent like 5 months away from the missus and it wasn't easy. Can't imagine it being easy with littluns involved but if what you're doing will improve their lives you have to do it

Haha no worries pal. Thing is we're really strong as a family don't get me wrong but my eldest and youngest son are extremely difficult to handle as they both have developmental issues and autism traits so I know how much pressure it will put on her. I know she'll handle it don't get me wrong and it will benefit them big time in the future just daunting being away and leaving her to do it all
  • BcfcDale88
    6122 posts Big Money Move
    Done it for about a year n half mate working on various different sites and many weird hotels
  • DarthGrowler
    16190 posts World Class

Ffs trust u 🤣

Haha no worries pal. Thing is we're really strong as a family don't get me wrong but my eldest and youngest son are extremely difficult to handle as they both have developmental issues and autism traits so I know how much pressure it will put on her. I know she'll handle it don't get me wrong and it will benefit them big time in the future just daunting being away and leaving her to do it all

She sounds like a strong woman, you're a lucky man. What's her support network like? Folks live near? Friends that will help if she gets a bit overwhelmed?
  • TimRUFC
    nickmack wrote: »
    I worked in the States for six months, first three months before XMas, I didn't come home at all. Kids were 6 and 4 and don't really remember me being gone now.

I'm lucky, the Mrs. was good with it and I had expenses paid, and video called them most days

That's it really cos I know they'll be absolutely fine it's just me being a knob about it haha. This is similar with everything paid for us and a nice bump in wages to boot tbh I thing I'm just been a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ about it and need to just get on with it as I know it will benefit us all in the long run and puts me in a good position with the company aswell
  • TimRUFC

Ffs trust u 🤣

She sounds like a strong woman, you're a lucky man. What's her support network like? Folks live near? Friends that will help if she gets a bit overwhelmed?

Her 18 Yr old daughter (my stepdaughter) lives with us so she would have help when things got too much. Like I said I know she would be fine and how lucky I am to have her in my corner and it is only 4 days a week for a few weeks
  • DarthGrowler
    16190 posts World Class

Ffs trust u 🤣

Her 18 Yr old daughter (my stepdaughter) lives with us so she would have help when things got too much. Like I said I know she would be fine and how lucky I am to have her in my corner and it is only 4 days a week for a few weeks

You got this man! Will be great for you, your family and your standing in the company which helps guarantee your future. Its a good move!

Modern technology is great too, they will feel a lot closer to you than they are with all of today's modern communications
  • Antparry92
    19233 posts World Class
    I’d go for it if I were you mate. Seems you’ve got all the right things in place and you might kick yourself if you don’t take the chance whilst you can
  • Pietu
    6894 posts Big Money Move

Ffs trust u 🤣

Set me up man :trollface:

I don’t have as much of a life experience as many in here but I know that you should follow what you want to do and if you don't happen to enjoyed it then you know that you shouldn't do it in the future and atleast you get the memories!

And if you don't do it, it could be a case of what could have been because you might enjoy it, it might help you and your family in the future, it even could be one of the best things to happen to you!

Follow what you want to do, your dreams and work hard and good things will happen!
  • BrentfordFC
    13440 posts Has That Special Something
    Nothing beats spending time with your kids. But they’re at that age now where they know you have to work hard to buy things and pay the bills. You can’t turn down work and not have anything for months. You’d be silly not to take the work.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    25721 posts Player of the Year
    Nothing beats spending time with your kids. But they’re at that age now where they know you have to work hard to buy things and pay the bills. You can’t turn down work and not have anything for months. You’d be silly not to take the work.

You trying to tell me you have kids mert :trollface:
  • TimRUFC

I've not turned it down mate I'm not in a position financially to do that and he knows that which is why he's offered it to me tbh. I'm glad he has tho because it's quite a big new contract and could spell big things for them and me too tbf. Think it's just a bit of nerves before we go tbh and the job is what I have experience in aswell so I know I can do it
  • BrentfordFC

Somewhere in the world I do :trollface:
  • BrentfordFC

I've not turned it down mate I'm not in a position financially to do that and he knows that which is why he's offered it to me tbh. I'm glad he has tho because it's quite a big new contract and could spell big things for them and me too tbf. Think it's just a bit of nerves before we go tbh and the job is what I have experience in aswell so I know I can do it

You gotta do it then man. More opportunities to come. Positive thoughts. Do it !
  • Azof
    17916 posts World Class

Lot of baby socks out there
  • BrentfordFC
    Azof wrote: »

Lot of baby socks out there

I don’t go that low in size mert :trollface:
  • ORANGEeffect05
    25721 posts Player of the Year

tumblr_lr5vewoem11qbipv3o1_500.gif
  • BcfcDale88
    6122 posts Big Money Move
    What is it your doing?
  • TimRUFC
    BcfcDale88 wrote: »
    What is it your doing?

I'm an industrial cleaner mate on power stations, industrial confined space vaccing and High Pressure Water Jetting and so on. Took the job anyway hopefully big things to come if they're trusting me with it as I've only been with the firm 3 months and it's a huge deal for them.
  • Summer69
    1525 posts Play-Off Hero
    More money means more Fifa points....no brainer.
  • IDARYL
    5777 posts Big Money Move
    Jesus man up, you're not going to war in 1938 and not knowing whether you're coming back or not. Its a simple question to your wife shall I do it or not and that's the answer. P. S you'll still be back for WL don't worry
  • ccooaattssyy
    11854 posts Has That Special Something
    Step 1: discuss with wife.
    Step 2: accept her decision.
    Step 3: rinse & repeat.
  • RBailss
    13924 posts Has That Special Something
    I'd be jumping at the chance to spend some time away :joy: aslong as there is more money involved & all your expenses are covered, you'll be making the right choice.
  • Danic123
    3121 posts National Call-Up
    I was in the Army & of course there people regularly have to work away months at a time. I also have friends who have similar arrangements to you.

I would say that the person who is away quickly adapts. It’s a new reality for them so they can adjust accordingly. It’s tougher on those who remain as life stays the same but a big part of their life has gone.

I’d say that the opportunity sounds too good to turn down in either case. Just make sure that when you come back you’re showering affection to make up for lost time. Coming home and then sticking Fifa on don’t sound like a good idea to me 😁
  • Vinny1979
    5294 posts Big Money Move
    IDARYL wrote: »
    Jesus man up, you're not going to war in 1938 and not knowing whether you're coming back or not. Its a simple question to your wife shall I do it or not and that's the answer. P. S you'll still be back for WL don't worry