Headers

frankibo
129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Any one else still finding headers are useless?

Not sure if this is a manual only issue or a general problem but headers never connect properly, especially attacking headers.

Comments

  • Pooter
    4802 posts Big Money Move
    I scored another one last night, I guess its all about timing and the correct pass
  • YidArmy
    454 posts Sunday League Hero
    To score a header it pretty much needs to be uncontested and close to the goal. I find pressing RB and LB together (donwards header) also helps.
  • frankibo
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    YidArmy wrote: »
    To score a header it pretty much needs to be uncontested and close to the goal. I find pressing RB and LB together (donwards header) also helps.

    I will try this tonight
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    Headers don't work and I find it thoroughly unsatisfying. Crossing in from a corner is utterly pointless as is crossing in from the wing. You simply can't connect with the ball and when you do, which for me is about once in 50-70 attempts, then it will likely do something stupid. It nullifies a huge part of the game, which is set pieces. The only time I can connect a header is when there is no other player anywhere near my player which is rare and again, it will do something stupid. Frankly, the way it is now is absurd. I don't expect to score header after header but one should be able to work a set-piece and create an opportunity during a 20-minute match. The way it works at the moment then corner kicks may as well be cut scenes.

    There are few more satisfying goals than a well-placed cross which connects with a glorious power header. Just not in this game. In over 60 twenty minute matches I reckon I have scored 1 header. I have probably connected with the ball from a corner 5 or 6 times.

    And before the same old boring parrots chime in with "I'm glad they nerfed headers" I say, utter pish! There is making them less effective and there is removing them almost entirely and they have removed them almost entirely and that is s**t. Football ain't football without them. What on earth is the point in me having wingers to burst down the wing with good crossing stats if it is almost always futile. Balance is the word and this ain't balanced.

  • marktko
    267 posts Sunday League Hero
    I've started a similar thread in the seasons forum. Playing down the wing and crossing was how I preferred to play but it's utterly pointless this time out. Near impossible to find your man even with full assist on and even if space. As said when you do find him the header will miss and even go out for a throw in let alone a goal kick.

    They've not just nerfed it they've more or less removed it!

  • CR1986
    155 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Played an entire season in career mode on ultimate difficulty and it’s by far the most difficult FIFA ever but I haven’t scored a single header in an entire season, headers and corners are pretty much useless in this game
  • frankibo
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I think the issue arises in the difference between manual and assisted controls.

    On assisted you are not in in control of much of the depth power or aim of your cross, the game's AI does that all for you. It stands to reason that scoring headers from crosses is a bit too easy in that situation. The solution they decided was to nerf headers...

    On manual however I have to control the aim depth and power of my cross so nailing a cross is pretty challenging, therefore scoring headers can be satisfying. Nerfed headers has now made challenging impossible.

    Headers weren't the issue, assisted controls are.

    The top leagues and prizes online should be reserved for the best manual players, that would encourage ambitious players to play manual and then there would be less ❤️❤️❤️❤️, less reliance on game breaking mechanics, no more of the AI controlling your passes and shots and it would encourage a genuine skill gap. In my opinion of course.
  • JWNYsg
    2494 posts Fans' Favourite
    open header, usually no issue but there's the odd one that is a complete sitter

    corner and cross type of headers. As rare as looking for a virgin but my success rate is 5% likely (out of 300+ games now)
  • frankibo wrote: »
    Any one else still finding headers are useless?

    Not sure if this is a manual only issue or a general problem but headers never connect properly, especially attacking headers.

    its not only manual. im finding my heading accuracy to be much worse than previous years.
  • marktko
    267 posts Sunday League Hero
    I've just scored my first header after 63 games. Not sure how I did it but I headed downwards which in fact was pretty pathetic but the bounce beat the keeper and defender.

    I'll take it
  • L4r14m
    365 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’ve liked the fact that headers aren’t so overpowered anymore. Have managed to score from corners. Could’ve been lucky though. Haven’t played tons yet.
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    L4r14m wrote: »
    I’ve liked the fact that headers aren’t so overpowered anymore. Have managed to score from corners. Could’ve been lucky though. Haven’t played tons yet.

    FFS, overpowered? Read the post above yours. 1 in 63 games and honestly, I'm not far of the same result. They are virtually non-existent. Get a pen and paper and mark down every time you take a corner kick and also mark down when you score. Compare the figures. Same goes for crosses.

    Headers on goal are not a thing in this game. And they damned well should be.
  • frankibo
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2019
    marktko wrote: »
    I've just scored my first header after 63 games. Not sure how I did it but I headed downwards which in fact was pretty pathetic but the bounce beat the keeper and defender.

    I'll take it

    I've had that exact header a few times where they head it straight down and it bounces up. Both of mine hit the bar though from memory. I even find defensive headers or passing headers don't connect properly. I don't understand how they tested the game and thought heading worked.
  • Verdi42
    260 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm having the same issue. I just don't seem to be able to get to the ball on a cross (full manual), and when I do manage I can't get any power on the header. Defensive headers are no problem, though. Very irritating.
  • L4r14m
    365 posts Sunday League Hero
    JazzIsName wrote: »
    L4r14m wrote: »
    I’ve liked the fact that headers aren’t so overpowered anymore. Have managed to score from corners. Could’ve been lucky though. Haven’t played tons yet.

    FFS, overpowered? Read the post above yours. 1 in 63 games and honestly, I'm not far of the same result. They are virtually non-existent. Get a pen and paper and mark down every time you take a corner kick and also mark down when you score. Compare the figures. Same goes for crosses.

    Headers on goal are not a thing in this game. And they damned well should be.

    Just meant I felt headers were op in FIFA 19, and that it’s good they’ve been toned down. But like I said, I may just have been lucky thus far. Not saying y’all have no cause to complain.
  • Gnomenclature
    5935 posts Big Money Move
    It seems better than it was on release. Corners are still pointless and the error rate is obsurred if your player is marked.

    Players with power header, 90+ accuracy, and high strength and composure are better (for good reason) at heading in goals.

    First time crosses while sprinting are terrible (as it should be). Gotta be more mindful of crossing.
  • frankibo
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It seems better than it was on release. Corners are still pointless and the error rate is obsurred if your player is marked.

    Players with power header, 90+ accuracy, and high strength and composure are better (for good reason) at heading in goals.

    First time crosses while sprinting are terrible (as it should be). Gotta be more mindful of crossing.

    Mine crossing is fine, it's the headers that are nerfed beyond believe.

    That being said I actually managed to score one yesterday, free header from 6 yards out. Still barely connected with it and it floating in.
  • Balazska01
    31 posts Last Pick at the Park
    frankibo wrote: »
    I think the issue arises in the difference between manual and assisted controls.

    On assisted you are not in in control of much of the depth power or aim of your cross, the game's AI does that all for you. It stands to reason that scoring headers from crosses is a bit too easy in that situation. The solution they decided was to nerf headers...

    On manual however I have to control the aim depth and power of my cross so nailing a cross is pretty challenging, therefore scoring headers can be satisfying. Nerfed headers has now made challenging impossible.

    Headers weren't the issue, assisted controls are.

    The top leagues and prizes online should be reserved for the best manual players, that would encourage ambitious players to play manual and then there would be less ****, less reliance on game breaking mechanics, no more of the AI controlling your passes and shots and it would encourage a genuine skill gap. In my opinion of course.

    100% Agreed!
  • frankibo
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Verdi42 wrote: »

    R1 & L1 to downward header? I haven't tried yet will need to give it a go.

    Gonna take a break from fifa and play The Outer Worlds so will report back after
  • marktko
    267 posts Sunday League Hero
    So after scoring my first header last night after 63 games today I scored from a corner. Used no tactics and floated it into an empty area a couple of yards diagonal from corner of 6 yard box and took control of a guy just inside area - a CB with good heading ability - and moved him in as I crossed the ball. He ran onto it perfectly and headed into top corner. Given how hard it is to even connect with a corner this could be one of my greatest ever goals!! Certainly very satisfying. I was punching the air.

    I need to get out more.....
Sign In or Register to comment.