Premier League Lounge 2020-21

Comments

• El_Nino
    6409 posts Big Money Move
    Loyalty > Money.

Money/Trophies/playing alongside world class players/playing for world class managers/playing in the CL/better chance at playing for England.

And I really can’t stress this last point enough, being no where near Birmingham.

There’s a tonne of reasons why he should leave, if he’s happy and wants to play for Villa for the rest of his career, then good on him, but it’s not at all what’s best for his career.
  • Stlducks
    3236 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Loyalty > Money.

Money/Trophies/playing alongside world class players/playing for world class managers/playing in the CL/better chance at playing for England.

And I really can’t stress this last point enough, being no where near Birmingham.

There’s a tonne of reasons why he should leave, if he’s happy and wants to play for Villa for the rest of his career, then good on him, but it’s not at all what’s best for his career.

I don't think it's fair for us to judge what is best for his career. Maybe he is extremely happy playing for the club he loves and doesn't want to leave. Would it be a better career being happy or just living the career others want you to live by leaving to bigger clubs like other players do?

There is so much more than just what is happening on the pitch that players have to look at when deciding a contract or where to go.
  • El_Nino
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Loyalty > Money.

I don't think it's fair for us to judge what is best for his career. Maybe he is extremely happy playing for the club he loves and doesn't want to leave. Would it be a better career being happy or just living the career others want you to live by leaving to bigger clubs like other players do?

There is so much more than just what is happening on the pitch that players have to look at when deciding a contract or where to go.

I acknowledged if he’s happier at Villa, then good for him, no problem whatsoever.

But if you go to all the standard measurements for success in a career, money earned, accomplishments etc, he’s likely going to have a better career by going to a bigger club.

No one knows what Grealish wants; if he’s happy at Villa then good, but he will miss out on a lot of opportunities he could have had if he stays too long, much like Zaha probably has done.
  • Stlducks
    Loyalty > Money.

I acknowledged if he’s happier at Villa, then good for him, no problem whatsoever.

But if you go to all the standard measurements for success in a career, money earned, accomplishments etc, he’s likely going to have a better career by going to a bigger club.

No one knows what Grealish wants; if he’s happy at Villa then good, but he will miss out on a lot of opportunities he could have had if he stays too long, much like Zaha probably has done.

To me Grealish seems like the type of guy who doesn't care about what others say/think about him. If he's happy with his career, that's all that matters. Some other players care about what others say, how others rank them all time and how others perceive their career. Grealish doesn't seem like that type to me.
  • Ashy
    12032 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 15
    I heard rumours Villa were going to pay him close to 200k, so he's getting a load of money like he would at a top club but sooner or later the fact he doesn't win anything will hurt him and him playing for a bigger team gets his England chances higher.
  • El_Nino
    edited September 15
    Loyalty > Money.

To me Grealish seems like the type of guy who doesn't care about what others say/think about him. If he's happy with his career, that's all that matters. Some other players care about what others say, how others rank them all time and how others perceive their career. Grealish doesn't seem like that type to me.

I’ve not factored how people perceive him into it either, as I don’t think it’s relevant, I’m just saying factually he will miss out on extra money, trophies, playing with world class players, better chances for England etc. He could have a great career with Villa and one that makes him completely happy, but it’s a fact he will be missing out on those things by staying with Villa.

Now that may not bother him at all, but it would definitely be something most people would regret atleast to some extent.
  • Pxul_
    9727 posts League Winner
    edited September 15
    Honestly Birmingham is such a **** hole dunno how people can genuinely live there Nevermind footballers like Grealish I’d want to be out of there ASAP.
    Post edited by Pxul_ on
  • Handy Andy
    6010 posts Big Money Move
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Honestly Birmingham is such a shithole dunno how people can genuinely live there Nevermind footballers like Grealish I’d want to be out of there ASAP.

u srs
  • Pxul_
    9727 posts League Winner
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Honestly Birmingham is such a shithole dunno how people can genuinely live there Nevermind footballers like Grealish I’d want to be out of there ASAP.

u srs

I don’t recall stuttering
  • Ahmer50x
    25066 posts Player of the Year
    4 PL teams played in the League Cup today.

West Ham, Newcastle, Aston Villa through.
    Palace out.
  • Snugglebites
    1922 posts Play-Off Hero
    Would be hilarious if Grealish pulled a Delph and left next week.
  • Stlducks
    My favorite thing about Grealish extending was his video. A 6 second video saying I'm staying then hours later a big movie production announcing Auba's.
  • Ahmer50x
    edited September 16

Decent signing for Leicester, albeit not earth shattering.

RW was a bit of a hole in the side so gives them a decent option there.
  • Cyodine
    2726 posts Fans' Favourite
    My favorite thing about Grealish extending was his video. A 6 second video saying I'm staying then hours later a big movie production announcing Auba's.

Probably took Villa most of their budget to tie him down, so they had to cut cost somewhere.
  • Ahmer50x
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Palace out.

Fulham, West Brom, Everton through.

Southampton and Leeds out.
  • Stlducks
    Surprised Southampton lost, especially since they started nearly a full strength squad.
  • Stlducks
    Liverpool using United tactics of saying the price is too much only to end up paying it a month later.
  • Stlducks
    I think @Wyojasond had it right last week when he said the final week of the transfer window will be busy. I can see United and City do some panic buying if they miss their current targets now. Arsenal are pushing for Aouar it sounds like but no bid yet so that might drag on another two weeks. I'm sure Chelsea will be in for someone else and Spurs are still looking at a striker option.
  • Ahmer50x

Palace out.

Fulham, West Brom, Everton through.

Southampton and Leeds out.

Burnley and Brighton through.

15 Prem sides into the 3rd Round all in all.

Sheffield United and Wolves out, joining Palace, Southampton, and Leeds.
  • ViVaWhom
    9378 posts League Winner
    damn some big teams clashing there possibly

arsenal v liverpool
    chelsea v spurs
  • El_Nino
    Could see us crashing out early, I’d expect Mou to take it a lot more seriously then we will.
  • Ahmer50x
    Just realized this means we'll be playing Brighton twice in a few days time.
  • Sellish
    10201 posts Has That Special Something

Far from easy.
  • Pxul_
    9727 posts League Winner
    Sellish wrote: »

Far from easy.

🧢🧢
  • Ahmer50x
    Sellish wrote: »

Far from easy.

Away too. Not easy but certainly not near the toughest either.

Really should be winning against Luton and BHA/PNE and getting to the QFs.
  • Stlducks
    Could see us crashing out early, I’d expect Mou to take it a lot more seriously then we will.

If Spurs get past the first round maybe. Spurs played today, play Sunday then play their Carabao cup Tuesday before traveling to Macedonia on Thursday for the next Europa league match and then Newcastle on Sunday.

I can see Jose putting a B side out in the cup game on Tuesday at Leyton Orient since he is putting the Europa and PL as the top two priorities.
  • Stlducks
    @El_Nino not sure if Torres was the inspiration for your username or not but he had a documentary that just came out.

The documentary — Fernando Torres: The Last Symbol — is directed primarily towards the Spanish market where his nickname remains “El Nino” (The Kid), even though he is now 36 years old and has retired from playing.

https://theathletic.com/2065004/2020/09/17/fernando-torres-liverpool-chelsea-regrets-simeone/
  • El_Nino
    @El_Nino not sure if Torres was the inspiration for your username or not but he had a documentary that just came out.

The documentary — Fernando Torres: The Last Symbol — is directed primarily towards the Spanish market where his nickname remains “El Nino” (The Kid), even though he is now 36 years old and has retired from playing.

https://theathletic.com/2065004/2020/09/17/fernando-torres-liverpool-chelsea-regrets-simeone/

It is indeed, cheers for the heads up! I’ll be sure to watch that when I get the chance.