The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Crazy theory about soundtrack

Mmandras
2974 posts National Call-Up
Ok, this fits perfectly in tinfoil hat category, but I was actually convinced for years there is something off about Fifa soundtracks. Something vile that makes us play game more and increase addiction.

After paying attention to song names and lyrics I was more convinced than ever there is actual psychology involved in choosing tracks that are not selected for aestetic reasons. Words that repeat on and on that we hear in the menus between the games work as sublminal messages that subconciously increase addiction. Just look at Flume's "Rushing Back" this year:

"I feel the gravity pulling me faster than it ever has before
When I was seventeen, nicotine loving had me rushing out the door
I try to hold it back, take a breath, looking at old pictures on the floor
But I hear everything, telling me, you don’t have the time you gotta go"

There are other examples like last year "Gold Rush" etc, that can be related to Fifa experiences.

I'll share more examples. I'm not saying that EA is evil company, it is actually very clever but you might want to turn on your own soundtrack (which is probably what you do anyhow because Fifa 20 ost is just bad).

Comments

• FifaProDK
    951 posts Professional
    Yep I feel the same way, i'm in the process of making a list for the songs this year that have psychology in them . I can't remember them right now, but will post here later today.
  • JoyW
    2625 posts Fans' Favourite
    They do it in grocery stores too
  • RTG20
    705 posts Semi-Pro
    This years sound track I find AWFUL personally either way, never have I disliked it so much
  • BadSeedsFC
    965 posts Semi-Pro
    edited October 2019
    One line in Rosalía's song literally translates in English like this: "Daddy, give me all the bills" ("Papi, dame todos los billetes", in Spanish). You got a valid point here man...

• Hulkmodus
    1503 posts Play-Off Hero
    Crazy....
  • Have noticed and thought about this aswell. Your theory is not so "crazy"
  • FutsalBros0710
    154 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    also funny fact about soundtracks... I cant find one one wich I heard only couple times... genre is techno/trance... already run through all of them 3 times. only thing I remember is that it has spanish lyrics.
  • Denz
    2417 posts Fans' Favourite
    I was out recently and heard a track that must have been from 15 or 16. When I went home I played some fifa. It works.
  • Headshrinker363
    5764 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2019
    Fifafuthed wrote: »
    Have noticed and thought about this aswell. Your theory is not so "crazy"

Your profile pic is thee ultimate tin foil hat
  • Purplejacket
    2982 posts National Call-Up
    Ahm, its really not an important conspiracy theory, like who gives a f.
  • FifaProDK
    951 posts Professional
    Fifafuthed wrote: »
    Have noticed and thought about this aswell. Your theory is not so "crazy"

Your profile pic is thee ultimate tin foil hat

Dude that's my car!
  • FifaProDK
    951 posts Professional

It's interesting and funny?
  • Headshrinker363
    5764 posts Big Money Move

Subliminal messages are quite scary. Think about going shopping and Jessie J’s price tags is playing. You’re hearing “forget about the price tag”, you don’t realise that you’re overpaying for things. Subliminal messaging is proven to have an effect, not just some tin foil hat theory.
  • DanValletta
    1555 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2019
    I mean, not sure whether I think your theory is true or not BUT I have had music turned off this year and am not bothered by the game at all. I'm not playing rivals, just a few chill weekend league games to get to gold and turn it off.

Compared to last year where I was trading like a mad man playing every day and Elite WL most weeks.

I think my apathy is based on how terrible 19 was more than anything but you could be on to something.

Edit: Spelling
  • WryLucky
    2172 posts Fans' Favourite
    So many songs are about money so... This is definitely a tin hat theory.
  • Mmandras
    JoyW wrote: »

Yes! Even the smells and colors are adjusted for spending money. It's just not something you'd expect in a video game.
  • JohnDoe
    11346 posts Has That Special Something
    I've been playing FIFA on mute for years, I guess I've always been one step ahead of EA and never even realized it.

tbf, I'd say that you do have a point, if not for the subliminal messages, at least for the fact that listening to these same songs over and over again will condition you to associate them with the game, which means that whenever you listen to one you'll think about FIFA. Or maybe it's just a soundtrack, idk.
  • FutsalBros0710
    154 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Mmandras wrote: »
    JoyW wrote: »

Yes! Even the smells and colors are adjusted for spending money. It's just not something you'd expect in a video game.

basically its called marketing. and marketing is based on psyhology :)
  • Vinny1979
    5294 posts Big Money Move
    Also we didn't land on the moon. Thats a fact
  • ILevis
    998 posts Professional
    edited October 2019
    This is definitely in the top 5 most ridiculous conspiracy theories i have read on this forum. And thats quite the achievement
  • Verstappen
    4343 posts National Call-Up
    Mmandras wrote: »
    I'm not saying that EA is evil company

No doubt it is >:)
  • JohnDoe
    11346 posts Has That Special Something
    Vinny1979 wrote: »

• Vinny1979
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Vinny1979 wrote: »

The Van Allen radiation belt around the edges of space that we as humans would have had to fly through meant that we need 3 meters of lead around the space craft to stop the astronauts from dying of radiation exposure.

That tin foil space ship never left the ground.
  • Recoba10
    1480 posts Play-Off Hero
    When I play Fifa, I always switch the mute mode on :)
  • Fab
    19432 posts World Class
    yes i had to turn off the soundtrack because every time i heard a song from the soundtrack somewhere i rushed home and played fifa till i passed out
  • Retro_G
    31982 posts National Team Captain
    :joy: If you like a good conspiracy theory, watch this lads. It will blow your mind!
  • Vinny1979
    David Icke is sound
  • Gromit
    4095 posts National Call-Up
    Stretch it, stretch it......ffs what is this ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

Worst soundtrack ever this year.

Maybe instead of selling "editions" based on packs they should sell them with alternate soundtracks for the non hoody wearers ;)
  • Mmandras
    Funny thing to be called paranoid on a forum where 90% of posts are about EA controlling the market, stealth patches and all kind of other stuff. But from some reason sountrack is completely off the chart, even though it's not that hard to select compatible tunes and it's basically in every marketing rulebook.

And I'm not even suspectible to conspiracies in general or into some kind of crusade against Fifa OST. I'm looking forward to it every year and sometimes listen even when not playing (which kind of proves my point lol). Music with or without words do create some kind of association, if not full addiction.

Completely different discussion about the quality of OST. I've grown up listening to old Fifa indie rock tunes. There must be decent selection of manipulative lyrics there too, EA. :) Don't just focus on whatever kids call this genre nowdays.
  • Ishibum
    13614 posts Has That Special Something
    I think you're giving them too much credit here. I honestly think their process of song selection is basically, "This sounds propa yoof, fam! It's in!"